Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cropoval
Feb 17, 2020

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

Just to let you know, there is an almost entirely unambiguous answer to this, but it's not contained in the main game but rather in some of the side material. So if you want to know, either read the comics or ask here I guess.

This, but also it appears in the EP8 manga, so you probably want to wait to finish EP8 before you read it.

The Umineko manga adaptations are great, by the way- Ryukishi wrote for them all, and the EP7 and especially EP8 ones add and tweak a lot of stuff in a way I generally like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Seven is a real trip for sure. It's probably the most nonstandard of the chapters, and is also by and by far the one that tore at my soul the most. Watching Young Sayo is just pure misery

mrfreeze
Apr 3, 2009

Jon Arbuckle: Master of pleasuring women

Introduced my roomate to House in Fata Morgana. It's been fun trying to convince her that I SWEAR the game isn't actually transphobic. She just got to the part where Morgana imitates the maid and goes on at length about how disgusting Michel is and how she could never love an abomination like him. I just have to keep saying "I promise the payoff is worth it trust me.

Rather big spoilers behind the tag unless you've gotten to the part where you try and change things for the better.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
So does the 40 dollars we pay for Ciconia first phase mean we need to spend another 40 for each subsequent phase? For 160 total?

If so seems pretty expensive, especially considering you can buy all the question arc of Umineko for 40.

How long is the first phase anyway?

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

194k english words. the longest episode of umineko has 180k words. seems like 15-20 hours for most people

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I will give Ryukushi all my :10bux: :10bux: :10bux: :10bux: dude deserves it

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
Did not enjoy Apollo Justice. Everything felt off and gimmicky. It's a nice idea to have all the cases turn out to be interrelated although Case 3 could have been used much more in the last case. Missed a huge opportunity for massive institutional corruption rather than one guy. In fact there's a bunch of stuff that feels like they should have lead to something but got left on the cutting room floor like the pictures under the pictures

AAI 1 is feeling more my speed at the moment but people are down on it so let's see how it unfolds. Can't wait to hit Ghost Trick and AAI 2.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

apollo justice has three good things:

1. detective ema
2. the soundtrack
3. the first case

unfortunately this is not nearly enough to carry the rest of the game; and i'll always find it very funny that apollo doesn't get to be the main character until two games from the one with his name in the title

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Three thoughts as I really start my Umineko 1-? reread before continuing on to 7 in earnest:

-The PS3 art is so much better it's insane
-Battler is so freaking dumb

Umineko spoilers/speculation based on reading up to 6:
-Wow they really kind of set up Kanon being Shannon or some weird thing like that literally in the first scene he appears in, kinda? Probably reading way too much into that but I've all but put the actual murders on a complete backburner for now. e: like it's the most insane possible way that everything falls into place and it seems to sort of kind of work but I don't really get how or why yet, or a better explanation if I'm wrong.

Also, Gohda just fuckin' sucks out loud, and Hideyoshi's voice actor is completely delightful.

double edit: if it really can't be seen without love then I might be SOL here because even the adorable family reunion cloying stuff in Chapter 1 is making me remember how much I hate all of these horrible, unbalanced rich assholes

triple edit: literally the first time they interact Shannon is like "you were watching?" and Kanon just answers "that is my role" and Shannon gets all quiet. There's like...no way some of this stuff doesn't fit in with my wild guess theory above....I think.

quadruple edit multikill: (Umineko 1-6 spoilers) When did Kinzo die, again? Is it before or after the portrait was hung? That was April of 1984.

Rockman Reserve fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Aug 14, 2021

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation

Rockman Reserve posted:

quadruple edit multikill: (Umineko 1-6 spoilers) When did Kinzo die, again? Is it before or after the portrait was hung? That was April of 1984.

Finish reading chapter 7, there is only one possible answer for this.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Even without knowing the true answers or really anything about anything, the few tidbits that we definitively know by the end of 5 or 6 really make 1 read completely differently in a lot of places.

Also holy poo poo if George doesn't get a hell of a call-out/comeuppance at some point I'm going to be pretty miffed. Like, straight up, please tell me if it ever calls out his insanely hosed-up power-dynamic relationship with Shannon or if I should brace myself for it to completely brush it off with the light touch it's been using so far. This is probably the only time I'm ever going to explicitly ask for a spoiler (especially one that colors my theories pretty hard) but drat.

Lord Bob
Jun 1, 2000

mrfreeze posted:

Introduced my roomate to House in Fata Morgana. It's been fun trying to convince her that I SWEAR the game isn't actually transphobic. She just got to the part where Morgana imitates the maid and goes on at length about how disgusting Michel is and how she could never love an abomination like him. I just have to keep saying "I promise the payoff is worth it trust me.

Rather big spoilers behind the tag unless you've gotten to the part where you try and change things for the better.

I just finished the entirety of Fata Morgana the other day and Oh Boy was I on tenterhooks for the first few chapters thinking this could easily, easily turn out to be some really repugnant transphobic shittyness. It was so relieving when it took the turns that it did. I mean, I'm just a dumb cis guy so I don't know really how well it was handled, just "well enough not to be immediately obviously upsetting to someone with no direct experience"

I also loved how in Reincarnation the question is just... ignored. there's no awful scene of like... the status of someone's genitals being thoroughly interrogated, questioned, examined. It's just... you don't need to know. It doesn't matter, it's not relevant to the story being told.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LbWB3JeAeFE
👀

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

An anchoress would make for a very strange detective.

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

Oh neat the guy who wrote this is the guy who got me into Umineko in the first place!

Speaking of Umineko, the reread's been slow mainly because there's a lot less motivation to reread something I've already read than to read something new. Also I love Umineko but it's sooooo looooong. I'm thinking of skipping the reread and just going into Episode 6. But here's what I got from my reread of the first half of episode 1:

gently caress you

gently caress me

In the study with Kinzo and Genji, first off, lol that Kinzo is constantly talking about how Genji is good to him and the only one he can trust, second, this is where Kinzo goes on a big rant about how all his descendants aren't worthy to succeed him, implying that this is what Genji actually thinks of them. This is also where Kinzo talks about the Demon's Roulette. If it wasn't for Lambda's redtext that Genji isn't a killer, this is where I would immediately declare he's behind everything and honestly even then it's hard not to.

When Kanon reports about the siblings' meeting to Kinzo, it's nice that Kinzo gives him a pep talk about how even he should try to solve the epitaph :) but how did Kanon even get inside? Am I forgetting something from episode 5 explaining how anyone but Genji (and people he lends the key to) can get in?

I don't have any further insight on this but why does Rudolf think he'll be killed for (presumably) telling Battler about his real mother (and maybe the sin Beato was mad about)? Who does he think will kill him? It wouldn't be a mystery novel if we knew everything but aaaa just tell us your secrets old man!!!

In the servants' room, Genji steps behind a screen, Shannon tells Kanon that she's only telling him the truth about her feelings because Genji isn't around, and when Shannon leaves Genji talks to Kanon from behind the screen about how he should be allowed to be a child sometimes. I'm getting the vibe that this isn't the real Genji, it's Kanon's mind-Genji similar to Natushi's mind-Kinzo. The real Genji is no doubt up to nefarious Demon's Roulette preparation at this time.

At midnight, there's a montage of where everyone is, the first readthrough I didn't note it down but this time I did. Everyone's where they're supposed to be, with two (three?) exceptions. Kumasawa's background is a generic "camera pointed at the ceiling" shot which may or may not just be the servants' bedroom where she should be, or is it a clue that she's in a different room??? Probably just the bedroom, I think the backgrounds were changed for the improved portraits mod so it's probably not a hint. Genji's with Kanon, but I'm saying that's mind-Genji and not real Genji. The strange one is Nanjo, who's on a black background. It could be he's sleeping with the lights off, or because we don't know exactly where he is (isn't he supposed to be in his room or am I remembering a different episode?), or it could be a clue that he's up to something.

I'm thinking the blood on Natsuhi's doorknob might have nothing to do with Beatrice (or the person imitating Beatrice) and is Mr. Nineteen needing to find a different way to scare Natsuhi while the phones are down.

My wishlist for episode 6 is simply for Erika to start grilling George on how hosed up his relationship with Shannon is. It's entirely in character for her, and if she does this she's redeemed.

Not on the episode 6 wishlist, but what the gently caress is up with Shannon being a servant at the age of 6. Like Kinzo's a weird hosed up guy but even from a practicality perspective why would you want a 6-year-old as a servant. It probably ties in to whatever the magic experiments on Shannon and Kanon are a metaphor for but oh boy there's really no pleasant answer for that is there. The "best" case here is a Peter Thiel situation where Kinzo's extracting orphan blood to stay young. Well, the real best case is that their magic powers are more literal than it seems and Kinzo's been turning orphans into cyborgs with laser swords but that doesn't seem like it really fits with the setting :v:

As far as "solving" Umineko goes, I'm currently at there being multiple concurrent conspiracies happening at the same time. I've said before that I believe episode 3 was a combination of the "standard" epitaph murders and Eva going around killing people, with the epitaph murderer staking her corpses to save on bodies/throw people off, I think there's more of this going on across all episodes. The epitaph stakings (possibly lead by Genji) are unrelated to Mr. Nineteen, and there's probably at least one more murder conspiracy going on here too, they just all happened to execute their plans on the same night. I have no concrete ideas beyond this, but it would explain how murders continue happening to the end throughout all episodes despite there not being any common "survivors" beyond Battler (technically everyone dies but I'm using "survivor" to mean up to the end of what we see even if they die offscreen afterwards).

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZexGE-u1eck

quote:

The game borrows the base mechanics of Ace Attorney, but adds another layer of complexity through the presence of magic. The game features a magic system heavily inspired by tabletop games such as Dungeons and Dragons. Magic and the mages who wield it follow very specific and detailed rules.

lol, defending my client by proving they could not have committed the murder because they didn't setup mage hand as a cantrip that day

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

What if AA but magic actually exists- oh wait

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
i don't play wizards in tabletop games so i already ran out of jokes
you say his int is too low to cast his spell, but he used cha? cause he is a warlock?

Snooze Cruise fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Aug 17, 2021

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Snooze Cruise posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZexGE-u1eck

lol, defending my client by proving they could not have committed the murder because they didn't setup mage hand as a cantrip that day

Professor Layton vs Ace Attorney was already literally this. You had a big book explaining how all magic works, and you threw out objections like "My client could not possibly have cast the alleged spell, as it requires a material component and no such component was found at the scene!".

It was about as bad a mechanic as it sounds.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

We can clearly see from this [Grimoire] that the spell the prosecution is claiming was used has a somatic component. However, *desk slam*, the defendant's hands were both occupied at the time, so he couldn't have cast it!

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I thought that part of PLvPW was decent. Too bad about the rest of the game

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
I find it very funny you're ridiculing this when Ace Attorney has had spirit channeling mechanics that actually play into things, from the beginning of the series even.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
its the dungeons and dragons thing that is funny

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

We can clearly see from this [Grimoire] that the spell the prosecution is claiming was used has a somatic component. However, *desk slam*, the defendant's hands were both occupied at the time, so he couldn't have cast it!

the defense calls the witness's parrot familiar to the stand!!

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

there was actually a pretty good segment in mask of the betrayer where you help a wizard who sold his soul for power rules-lawyer his way out of the contract

and the only decent part of the neverwinter nights 1 main campaign was a trial as well

and come to think of it, a trial was also a major setpiece and one of the highlights of neverwinter nights 2 main campaign.......

maybe....coutroom drama is the only good part of d&d...?

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Stexils posted:

there was actually a pretty good segment in mask of the betrayer where you help a wizard who sold his soul for power rules-lawyer his way out of the contract

and the only decent part of the neverwinter nights 1 main campaign was a trial as well

and come to think of it, a trial was also a major setpiece and one of the highlights of neverwinter nights 2 main campaign.......

The courtroom scene in Tyranny was great too!

It looks super goofy, but if it does get funded I'd be willing to give it a chance, potentially.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

If there’s a funnier visual novel than Grisaia l want to know what it is

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Grisaia owns and I should finish it.

e wait lol i'm thinking of something totally different lmao

Rockman Reserve fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Aug 18, 2021

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Stexils posted:

one campaign i ran literally ended in the party arguing before an assembly that was deciding whether they should be rewarded or punished for assassinating a court wizard who was secretly developing magic WMDs

they almost negotiated their way into getting conscripted into the army and then went "actually gently caress this we'd rather choose exile", which, well, fair enough

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Snooze Cruise posted:

i don't play wizards in tabletop games so i already ran out of jokes

Well clearly cause then you'd know you don't prepare cantrips in the morning. You fool!

Jokes aside this seems neat but I'm also worried it's a bit too derivative of AA.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

Stexils posted:

the defense calls the witness's parrot familiar to the stand!!

This is where the prosecution points out he could've used Subtle Spell to cast without somatic components, and the defense now has to prove he used all his sorcery points already that day - but unfortunately that would implicate him in some other wrongdoing, prompting the defense to have one of those "(Do I do what's best for my client or pursue the truth..?)" moments.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

theblackw0lf posted:

If there’s a funnier visual novel than Grisaia l want to know what it is

whatever you do, keep to the first one, do not let the sequel tarnish the memory of the original

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

whatever you do, keep to the first one, do not let the sequel tarnish the memory of the original

Co-sign. It's not like the sequels lose every bit of humor or charm, but the squick ratio makes it mostly not worth it. The first game leaves a couple loose plot threads, but really you're better off just going yeah the obvious thing obviously happened and moving on.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

I love Grisaia but I do have issues with it. One of the biggest is I think including romance in Makina’s route hurt it. Same with Michiru to a degree. Though hers I think it’s more how the romance/sex was handled.

Also I wish the protagonist would be more hesitant about loving incredibly emotionally vulnerable young women.

theblackw0lf fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Aug 18, 2021

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

theblackw0lf posted:

I love Grisaia but I do have issues with it. One of the biggest is I think including romance in Makina’s route hurt it. Same with Michiru to a degree. Though hers I think it’s more how the romance/sex was handled.

Also I wish the protagonist would be more hesitant about loving incredibly emotionally vulnerable young women.

Yeah. At least with the first, you can blame the genre for those particular shortcomings, and blame it for not rising above them. The sequel doubles down on all that and removes the element of choice.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sinteres posted:

Co-sign. It's not like the sequels lose every bit of humor or charm, but the squick ratio makes it mostly not worth it. The first game leaves a couple loose plot threads, but really you're better off just going yeah the obvious thing obviously happened and moving on.

What's the issue with them? I do think I heard that the MC's relationship with his sister gets uh, weird, but that's it.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
My big issue with the grisaia sequels is I feel like they heavily undermine the themes of the first with its the various angles it explores with regards to trauma. The sequels feel more like someone was like "wow cool supersoldier Yuuji, what if more people become like him" and then I couldn't even get into phantom trigger because it was like they just tripled down on that.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Acerbatus posted:

What's the issue with them? I do think I heard that the MC's relationship with his sister gets uh, weird, but that's it.

That's a big part of it, yeah. Plus the canonical ending is that Yuuji ends up with an island harem where he's going to impregnate everyone. And that's without getting into his backstory where his adult mentor teaches him how to gently caress to heal his trauma or something.

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Yeah. At least with the first, you can blame the genre for those particular shortcomings, and blame it for not rising above them. The sequel doubles down on all that and removes the element of choice.

Yeah I think that's right. Plus there's just not as much actually funny and endearing stuff to counterbalance the bad parts. I guess the second game has the after-routes (which I genuinely barely remember), and the third game has the direct prequel stuff about the girls before Yuuji showed up (which I think was decent to good?), but honestly the first game stands pretty well on its own.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Yuuji is such a great MC. Dudes easily top tier traumatized child soldier for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.
It's interesting to see everyone else's attitudes toward the later games in light of the first. My experience with Grisaia was working on the second and third games without having touched the first, so I kinda had no expectations to let down and just enjoyed the dumb horny spy-fi for what it was.