Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Stunning Honky posted:

Henry and the Jannis is probably the hardest I've laughed at any podcast

'it's like me going up to strangers and going 'oh hey, white people!''

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?
SA gets mentioned in the latest Talking Dad.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Lazyhound posted:

SA gets mentioned in the latest Talking Dad.

Reflexively cringed when Will said that

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

Reflexively cringed when Will said that

Man that writing must have really sucked, people here seem pretty supportive about creative stuff

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Snowy posted:

Man that writing must have really sucked, people here seem pretty supportive about creative stuff

I mean if he did it in the early-ish 2000s then it was a much different board

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "
:sweats in KC Green:

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Hetman Bohdan Khmelnytsky Independent Presidential Regiment
Western Liberal Democracy or Death!
Cameos from Will and Beth for Jimmy's podcast:

https://twitter.com/commandcast/status/1417241186142588935

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

https://twitter.com/anthony_burch/status/1420995163082477573?s=20

i can't wait

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

god this could mean so many things, Dungeons and Daddies probably has the highest amount of absolute 'wait why are you doing that...noooo...nooooooooooooo' from the GM and I love it.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

sexpig by night posted:

god this could mean so many things, Dungeons and Daddies probably has the highest amount of absolute 'wait why are you doing that...noooo...nooooooooooooo' from the GM and I love it.

My gut reaction is that it's gonna be henry turning into a bird to cheat at football or casting sunlight on a vampire all over again

I feel bad for DMs trying to write their own campaigns and encounters, it seems impossible to account for all the dumb bullshit that high level d&d casters can do. I'm reminded of the crystal kingdom arc of the adventure zone which had a moment like:

Griffin: ...and you encounter a giant crystal monster, and you can tell just by looking at it that it's invincible, so don't even bother trying to atta--

Justin: I cast "shatter crystal"

Griffin: *flipping through pages* ok. ok. uhhh

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Ainsley McTree posted:

I feel bad for DMs trying to write their own campaigns and encounters, it seems impossible to account for all the dumb bullshit that high level d&d casters can do. I'm reminded of the crystal kingdom arc of the adventure zone which had a moment like:

lol i still think the most impressive bullshit i've ever seen pulled live is laura bailey completely successfully tricking matt mercer and 100% solving his climactic encounter with a major villain via an obscure, extremely minor magic item she got a year before that and the modify memory spell

second place goes to like 100 different things emily pulled on naddpod

eke out fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Jul 30, 2021

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

eke out posted:

lol i still think the most impressive bullshit i've ever seen pulled live is laura bailey completely successfully tricking matt mercer and 100% solving his climactic encounter with a major villain via an obscure, extremely minor magic item she got a year before that and the modify memory spell

second place goes to like 100 different things emily pulled on naddpod

Balnor, what's your favorite food?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Don't feel bad for the GMs, our devil's bargain always has been 'we get to make a world to gently caress with our players' vs 'you idiot, you fool, you chump, you let me have this meaningless magic item five sessions ago and forgot about it but I just realized I can use it to completely negate your entire encounter'.

Adversarial GM/player relationships that revolve around the GM trying kill the players as fast as possible are broke, adversarial GM/player relationships that revolve around both sides trying to find the funniest way to gently caress up the other side's day are bespoke.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Ainsley McTree posted:

Balnor, what's your favorite food?

I should really buy that shirt.

And spoilers for Critical Role season 1, but Scanlan's counterspell against Vecna where if you pay attention you can see him setting the whole thing up and trying to keep Matt Mercer from figuring out he's got a plan that can get hosed up was good too.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

i can't believe we have to wait a week and a half for this

https://twitter.com/HeyBethMay/status/1421171582551027712?s=20

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Will finally learned Jezzball and used it to cast the perfect spell

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
The latest Talking Dads doesn’t have Anthony, and the cast is almost giddy discussing their plans to pull something over on him.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Dr Christmas posted:

The latest Talking Dads doesn’t have Anthony, and the cast is almost giddy discussing their plans to pull something over on him.

seems like it might have worked:

Ainsley McTree posted:

i can't believe we have to wait a week and a half for this

https://twitter.com/HeyBethMay/status/1421171582551027712?s=20

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

So with the finale coming up, I've finally decided to jump back into the Patreon content, and the extras really remind me of why I love the show. I used to think the good flow of the main show was due to the tight editing, but no, it turns out that they really are that quick on the draw most of the time.

There was also a really good exchange early on where Freddy and Anthony were talking and Freddy said, "Every once in a while, I call Anthony and say 'hey we should all do this for the podcast...,'" and Anthony says "And then I'll say 'gently caress off.'" It just sort of reminds me of other Actual Plays that I've been falling off of that keep repeating that they're a "Collaborative storytelling experience," and how railroad-y and awkward they've become as a result. Meanwhile, I just heard the 'sunlight' exchange from the live show, and it makes me miss a lot of the fun that actual plays used to have.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I’ve had a hard time getting into a lot of the bonus stuff besides mountains of dadness. It makes me a little worried about the end of this storyline coming up but hopefully they can make lightning strike twice.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Snowy posted:

I’ve had a hard time getting into a lot of the bonus stuff besides mountains of dadness. It makes me a little worried about the end of this storyline coming up but hopefully they can make lightning strike twice.

All That Jizz was a complete miss for me. I listened to it all, but man I just did not care about any of it (and I really think that the guys didn't either towards the end) but everything else I have loved. At the very minimum it's a fun and forgettable way to spend a few hours, but when it's on point it's amazing. I think The Mountains of Dadness is probably the best bonus content they've done by far.

I have enough faith in these nerds to think that whatever sequel they do will be just as good as the first arc. They know when they're not doing as well as they should and they're usually good at self correcting.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

loving amazing

[seriously don't read this until you've heard this ep] those mother fuckers pulled a homestuck hahahahaha

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

What a bunch of assholes.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
there's no way whatever you're thinking of is what happens and it's glorious

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Prison is too good for the daddies, for what they did to my poor boy Anthony

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
they hosed him

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin
That was incredible. Next level. Maybe the craziest thing I've ever heard of any of the players doing in any RPG ever.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Wh at the fukc is happening :psyduck:

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy
I know you already know this, but I checked and it's 100% there.

I wonder when they did it and if anybody could have possibly noticed??

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Truly there's no greater power move in D&D than telling your GM 'no YOU roll perception'

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

i can't wait to see how anthony fucks em back

he can't let it go unanswered

Zutaten
May 8, 2007

What the shit.

Holy poo poo. I had to pause I was laughing so hard

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Goddamn, I thought the trick would be something on the level of instakilling a boss monster with a Bag of Holding, not hacking the entire podcast. They steamrolled Anthony there.

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

Possibly the greatest holy poo poo moment I've ever heard on a D&D podcast, god drat.

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Underrated bits from the episode include Henry almost shaming Darryl's religion and Darryl greeting Gartok.

Been blasting through the Patreon content so I can put up some info on it in the OP, and thoughts so far:

-I started with that Father's Day 2021 live show and even though everyone seemed to want to spoil me on "that moment", it still came as a total surprise to me.

-Walter/Paeden one-shot was kind of dull until it hit past the halfway point where they get to the UCB riffing and them trying to lay into Anthony just to have him throw it all back at them. The ending was also fantastic and Anthony has a future in voice acting if he ever wanted to go for it. There's a different dynamic to having a GM and two assistants for one player and I really like it.

-Mountains of Dadness was really interesting and I loved how it tied back into the campaign. The comedy wasn't as laugh-out-loud as the main campaign, but it kept things moving along. I actually got way more into the story of it, which surprised me.

-I'm at Talking Dads, roughly episode 40-ish, I think and I like that even with their kinda BSing cast, they make shifts to make it more listenable, like coming up with the "no more trying to get character canon out of us" rule which made TD more listenable. I recently finally went in and deleted my subscription to several big-name actual plays (I won't say them because I don't want to stir up that argument) because they've gotten really mired in their worst habits. It's nice to see that the Dads are willing to try and avoid those problems by self-evaluating.

I'm about to start up All That Jizz.

Pennsylvanian fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Aug 14, 2021

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I ran out of D&Daddies so I went back to Nerd Poker. I used to think those guys played fast and loose with the rules but after the daddies I feel like I’m listening to some hardcore players.

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "
Is Glenn Jr a parody of the thing in Emperors New Groove, which seemed like a parody of the squirrel in The Sword In The Stone, which seemed like a parody of furry poo poo in general or have I lost my mind

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Him hosed they:

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

eke out posted:

loving amazing

[seriously don't read this until you've heard this ep] those mother fuckers pulled a homestuck hahahahaha

I read this spoiler a week before I listened to the episode and I was still not prepared (mostly because that could have meant a couple hundred different things)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Pennsylvanian posted:

Him hosed they:

They did open that can of worms, so it's on them if he fights back.