Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Kosmo Gallion posted:

How many Forbidden Door matches have there been?

Jericho vs Tanahashi was arguably the first. There's been the US title defences and KENTA showing up. Have there been any more?

Difficult to say, especially as you have talent like Moxley who are signed to both companies, but if we're defining it strictly as a solely AEW contracted star fighting in a New Japan ring or vice versa:

Hiroshi Tanahashi vs Chris Jericho at Wrestle Kingdom 14
Kenny Omega & KENTA vs Jon Moxley & Lance Archer on Dynamite in February 2021
Jon Moxley vs Yuji Nagata on Dynamite in May 2021
Rocky Romero vs JD Drake on Dark in May 2021
Ren Narita vs Royce Isaacs on Dark in May 2021
Lance Archer vs Hikuleo on Dynamite in July 2021
Lance Archer vs Tanahashi on Resurgence in August 2021

And almost certainly some I'm missing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

hikuleo had a dark match also

the idea of the 'forbidden door' being a huge shift is funny if you look at the timeline in retrospect
aew tv started in october 2019
by january 2020 the aew title had already been part of a new japan angle for a tokyo dome match
~global pandemic here during which aew regularly references new japan and tanahashi appears on dynamite~
barely a year later kenta invades and the iwgp us title becomes a staple of the show

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
I guess KENTA crossing over to the AEW reality weakened the barriers and allowed his superior Jay White to hop over into the Impact universe to raise an army to wipe out the Elite.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Kosmo Gallion posted:

I guess KENTA crossing over to the AEW reality weakened the barriers and allowed his superior Jay White to hop over into the Impact universe to raise an army to wipe out the Elite.

I'd be very down with Jay White, Chris Bey and GOD invading AEW as well.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Did they ever explain why Vicky Guerrero just kind of faded out from Andrade's arc? Was it because she was the antithesis of Tranquillo?

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013

Scarf posted:

Did they ever explain why Vicky Guerrero just kind of faded out from Andrade's arc? Was it because she was the antithesis of Tranquillo?

She brokered the deal and got a finders fee. But even somebody as odious as Vickie couldn't deal with that shithead Andrade, so she let Chavo deal with him. Just like she did with Eddie.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
What would the wrestling landscape look like of Stephanie had just married Test (in storyline)?

TVGM
Mar 17, 2005

"It is not moral, it is not acceptable, and it is not sustainable that the top one-tenth of 1 percent now owns almost as much wealth as the bottom 90 percent"

Yam Slacker

DMorbid posted:

I dread the day AEW gets some lovely Finnish TV deal because I'm so used to watching the shows live and commercial-free. Fite's video and audio quality could be better and the live chat on the player page is so radioactive I adblocked their chat server, but not having to mess around with :filez: or a VPN or anything like that is really nice.

Do you have that chat server URL handy? Hate the chat.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

TVGM posted:

Do you have that chat server URL handy? Hate the chat.
Adding www.fite.tv/embed/v1/chat/ to your filters should do it.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

The Lord of Hats posted:

What wrestler has been in the most promotions? I ask because as I watch various wrestling history youtube stuff, it feels like Chavo Guerrero has been loving everywhere, even in that brief TNA promotion in India. Is there someone who's bounced around even more than that?

Has anyone said Colt Cabana? Dude has been in like, every indy ever.

https://www.cagematch.net/?id=2&nr=994&page=20

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Excuse me, that's former NWA World's Heavyweight Champion Colt "Boom Boom" "Matt Classic" "Scotty Goldman" "Dark Order #8?" Cabana.

(I just like reminding everyone Colt was the NWA champ)

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

I always really loved the name Matt Classic

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

titties posted:

I always really loved the name Matt Classic

The original promo for the gimmick makes me giggle every time. "And his devastating Full Body Slam!"

Renaissance Spam
Jun 5, 2010

Can it wait a for a bit? I'm in the middle of some *gyrations*

Gaz-L posted:

The original promo for the gimmick makes me giggle every time. "And his devastating Full Body Slam!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfd8jgQbf1Y

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Ah, WSX, whatever happened to that roster? Guys like Matt Sydal, Scorpio Sky and Jack Evans....

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

i really want one of the special episodes aew does to pull out a lot of the roster's alternate gimmicks like this one

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Colt commits so hard to the gimmick, it's wonderful

Officer Colt is also amusing

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I'd like to request a link to that god awful recent promo where the guy said something like "You're going to go home... and look in the mirror... and realize... that I don't like you."

I forgot what thread it was in, but I wanted to show it to someone so they can laugh at it too.

edit: thanks!

sticklefifer fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Aug 18, 2021

Numero6
Oct 10, 2012

ここは地の果て 流されて俺
今日もさすらい 涙も涸れる
ブルーゲイル

Gaz-L posted:

Excuse me, that's former NWA World's Heavyweight Champion Colt "Boom Boom" "Matt Classic" "Scotty Goldman" "Dark Order #8?" Cabana.

(I just like reminding everyone Colt was the NWA champ)

Let's not forget Officer Colt Cabana.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD

sticklefifer posted:

I'd like to request a link to that god awful recent promo where the guy said something like "You're going to go home... and look in the mirror... and realize... that I don't like you."

I forgot what thread it was in, but I wanted to show it to someone so they can laugh at it too.

https://twitter.com/GolazoDan/status/1426708306240888834

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Colt is a wrestler who is very good at pretty much everything who I am happy to never actually see wrestle.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Endless Mike posted:

Colt is a wrestler who is very good at pretty much everything who I am happy to never actually see wrestle.

i love seeing him wrestle and i miss the superman pin

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I'm sad we haven't had a Colt/Yano match for like 2 and a half years

Manwithastick
Jul 26, 2010

Did Warrior University produce anybody of note?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Manwithastick posted:

I'm not even sure they had any real classes

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

When Colt was in OVW he drew a mustache on his Matt Classic mask and wrestled as Dan Severn. I really wish someone had taped that.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

Manwithastick posted:

Lance Jade (from the very end of the USWA and early Memphis Power Pro Wrestling) is the only wrestler I know of that trained at Ultimate University: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJCrRNd82uU&t=6s

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
What things, either at the time or subsequently btu changed, are events that were written off as, for lack of a better word, WrestleCrap but have retrospectively viewed as "that was actually great"?

I was thinking about this because Hogan/Rodman v DDP/Malone was haaaaaaaated for so many years, but a lot of that seems to have been driven by Rodman's reputation in the 90s who would get booed during Bulls games. As the decades have passed and Rodman's become more well respected as an eccentric madman who may have been the greatest defender of all time the match seems gfine.

Karl Malone's reputation on the other hand... man gently caress that scum.

Just to pre-empt that this isn't just celebrity incidents, the David Arquette poo poo is still irredeemably bad no matter how much David Arquette has rehabbed himself and is undoubtedly awesome. He wasn't to blame but that incident is going to be death forever.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
JBLs character/title run comes to mind first. Maybe Stone Colds heel turn to a lesser extent.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

JBLs character/title run comes to mind first. Maybe Stone Colds heel turn to a lesser extent.

I can't agree at all on JBL, to me it's just as bad as it ever was if not somehow worse. Fully agree with Austin though. It might have been terrible for business, but drat if he didn't do some of his best character work at that time, as well as have some of his best matches post-neck injury (though said matches were with the likes of Benoit and Angle, who I guess most people would struggle to have a bad match with in their primes).

I feel like a lot of people have warmed up to Cena's run in light of WWE's past few years, though obviously this largely just applies to Internet fans.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Hedgehog Pie posted:

I feel like a lot of people have warmed up to Cena's run in light of WWE's past few years, though obviously this largely just applies to Internet fans.

I was thinking things much more severe than JBL/Cena which were just feuds rather than "this was a loving disaster"

With that said I don't see Cena as rehabilitated, most good views of Cena apply pretty much effectively start with his early 2010s work and do not do much with looking fondly on the SuperCena era. It was only once his career wound down, his feud with CM Punk, and his US title open challenges that his respect started to increase.

His SuperCena run has not aged well and is not looked at fondly, Edge was his biggest rival during that period and no one talks about Cena/Edge to the point its retroactively been made Edge/Orton. Umaga has aged terribly for being racist as gently caress. Oh and that time he cucked Zack Ryder.

Hammond Egger
Feb 20, 2011

by the sex ghost
I don't think anyone looks back at it as "great", but the Fingerpoke of Doom was turned into a wrestlecrap moment once WCW started its decline as if it was the first snowball in an avalanche, but ratings analysis showed that it didn't have any real immediate effect. It was just a convenient milestone that the IWC latched onto.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Lid posted:

What things, either at the time or subsequently btu changed, are events that were written off as, for lack of a better word, WrestleCrap but have retrospectively viewed as "that was actually great"?

I was thinking about this because Hogan/Rodman v DDP/Malone was haaaaaaaated for so many years, but a lot of that seems to have been driven by Rodman's reputation in the 90s who would get booed during Bulls games. As the decades have passed and Rodman's become more well respected as an eccentric madman who may have been the greatest defender of all time the match seems gfine.

Karl Malone's reputation on the other hand... man gently caress that scum.

Just to pre-empt that this isn't just celebrity incidents, the David Arquette poo poo is still irredeemably bad no matter how much David Arquette has rehabbed himself and is undoubtedly awesome. He wasn't to blame but that incident is going to be death forever.

Everyone still agrees the match is awful and Rodman was a zombie during it. People liked the build then and still do now.

Moe_Rahn
Jun 1, 2006

I got a question
why they hatin' on me?
I ain't did nothin' to 'em
but count this money
and put my team on
got my whole clique stunnin'
boy wassup
yeeeeeaaaaaahhhh

CopywrightMMXI posted:

What would the wrestling landscape look like of Stephanie had just married Test (in storyline)?
Test is still dead

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I don't know how to answer the question because, like, I'm always down to rewatch Halloween Havoc 1998, but nobody thinks it was anything but a disaster.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Halloween Jack posted:

I don't know how to answer the question because, like, I'm always down to rewatch Halloween Havoc 1998, but nobody thinks it was anything but a disaster.

The main event is obviously bad and there are other bad matches on there but it was regarded at the time as a pretty good card to watch because there are a few good undercard matches and DDP/Goldberg. If you got to watch the whole show that night. If not you probably did not like it until the next day, if ever!

keithy george
Jan 8, 2008

Hedgehog Pie posted:

I can't agree at all on JBL, to me it's just as bad as it ever was if not somehow worse. Fully agree with Austin though. It might have been terrible for business, but drat if he didn't do some of his best character work at that time, as well as have some of his best matches post-neck injury (though said matches were with the likes of Benoit and Angle, who I guess most people would struggle to have a bad match with in their primes).

Lead on question from this:

Is there anything that specifically points to heel Austin being something that killed the business? Business didn't suffer much with his departure after '99, and arguably got better with The Rock as the top guy and a roster of up and coming talent. I'm curious if it was really Austin turning that turned away a significant part of the audience, or if it was really the weird chaos of the Invasion angle where you have a fake WCW staffed by big WWE names, a sudden wash of WCW talent that was getting simultaneously pushed and shat on.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

keithy george posted:

Lead on question from this:

Is there anything that specifically points to heel Austin being something that killed the business? Business didn't suffer much with his departure after '99, and arguably got better with The Rock as the top guy and a roster of up and coming talent. I'm curious if it was really Austin turning that turned away a significant part of the audience, or if it was really the weird chaos of the Invasion angle where you have a fake WCW staffed by big WWE names, a sudden wash of WCW talent that was getting simultaneously pushed and shat on.

A lot of it was the weird chaos of the Invasion, but live crowds weren't at all ready to boo Steve Austin when he turned so it never got the fan response anyone at WWE wanted. I think it was more of a creative failure than a financial one.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Lid posted:

I recall even in the early years of Wrestlecrap, they noted that IRS was a beloved heel gimmick that was performed to perfection and was overall good, but it's still absolutely a Wrestlecrap gimmick no matter how you look at it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Gavok posted:

I recall even in the early years of Wrestlecrap, they noted that IRS was a beloved heel gimmick that was performed to perfection and was overall good, but it's still absolutely a Wrestlecrap gimmick no matter how you look at it.

That's pretty accurate. IRS is a good worker, he went balls deep to make the character work, but was still a wrestling accountant. Which is patently absurd.