Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

latinotwink1997 posted:

So what’s their long term strategy here? Delta/covid is really never going away now. Unless NZ intends to never let foreigners in, they’ll have to deal with it at some time. Unless they’re banking on a vaccine coming out that unequivocally protects all people. Or are they going to lock down every time someone is infected?

I think the big issue is as of now NZ barely has anyone vaccinated. Less than 30% with one shot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

latinotwink1997 posted:

So what’s their long term strategy here? Delta/covid is really never going away now. Unless NZ intends to never let foreigners in, they’ll have to deal with it at some time. Unless they’re banking on a vaccine coming out that unequivocally protects all people. Or are they going to lock down every time someone is infected?

sorry just need some clarification are you criticizing the planning and covid response of the country that has had a single locally transmitted case recorded since february

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Cowcaster posted:

sorry just need some clarification are you criticizing the planning and covid response of the country that has had a single locally transmitted case recorded since february

What was unclear about the question? It's a very real, very legitimate question to ask.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

and "the same way they've been handling it for the past year and a half" seems like the very real, very legitimate answer

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

Cowcaster posted:

and "the same way they've been handling it for the past year and a half" seems like the very real, very legitimate answer

So, isolationist until when? That’s what I’m asking. Will I never get to visit NZ then? Do they lock down every other week for a single positive test? At what point is it deemed “safe” for them? Are they at 30% vaccine rate because of supply or demand?

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

Mozi posted:

god sez, you lose
God will soon answer the prayers being made for the Cardinal and Phil Valentine. He is likely to answer “No.”

Xotl
May 28, 2001

Be seeing you.

latinotwink1997 posted:

Presumably they'll be more lenient when they get above 17.5% fully vaccinated and 12.5% partially. For now it seems a logical step, considering the ability of Delta to spread and how unprotected the population is.

latinotwink1997 posted:

Are they at 30% vaccine rate because of supply or demand?

As I understand it, it's because of supply. Australia is having the same problem: for whatever reason the two places are having a great deal of trouble securing doses.

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

Xotl posted:

Presumably they'll be more lenient when they get above 17.5% fully vaccinated and 12.5% partially. For now it seems a logical step, considering the ability of Delta to spread and how unprotected the population is.

As I understand it, it's because of supply. Australia is having the same problem: for whatever reason the two places are having a great deal of trouble securing doses.

Ok, this makes sense then, thanks. Any idea if they have a population more willing to take the vaccine than say your average American?

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

latinotwink1997 posted:

Strategy - Be the only habitable place left in a few years

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

latinotwink1997 posted:

So, isolationist until when? That’s what I’m asking. Will I never get to visit NZ then? Do they lock down every other week for a single positive test? At what point is it deemed “safe” for them? Are they at 30% vaccine rate because of supply or demand?

Have they been locking down every other week for a year and a half?

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Xotl posted:

I'd imagine for Australia it's a combination of them going heavily for AZ, which has had a lot of delivery problems outside of the UK and EU. That and from what I understand they were so good at slowing spread from locking down that were somewhat deprioritized.

Checking online NZ is currently still at a point where they're only vaccinating ages 50+ and the only vaccine they've approved for their rollout is Pfizer. They ordered J&J and AZ but I'm assuming haven't recieved any yet.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

QuarkJets posted:

Have they been locking down every other week for a year and a half?

I don't believe so as far as I know, but if Delta got in once it will get in again. We've seen what's happened to fortress Australia.

Xotl
May 28, 2001

Be seeing you.

latinotwink1997 posted:

Ok, this makes sense then, thanks. Any idea if they have a population more willing to take the vaccine than say your average American?

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

I'd imagine for Australia it's a combination of them going heavily for AZ, which has had a lot of delivery problems outside of the UK and EU. That and from what I understand they were so good at slowing spread from locking down that were somewhat deprioritized.

Checking online NZ is currently still at a point where they're only vaccinating ages 50+ and the only vaccine they've approved for their rollout is Pfizer. They ordered J&J and AZ but I'm assuming haven't recieved any yet.

I found this article from late July discussing the Australian situation:
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-07-26/covid-vaccine-rate-in-older-australians-vaccination-figures/100324228

They blame sourcing for part of the problem, but not all. I would think that COVID/vaccine denialism is strong across the Anglosphere, thanks to the cultural influence of the States.

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde
Australia and NZ had a travel bubble too until NSW's government hosed everything up.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Xotl posted:

They blame sourcing for part of the problem, but not all. I would think that COVID/vaccine denialism is strong across the Anglosphere, thanks to the cultural influence of the States.

Eh I'm not so sure looking at the UK and Canada's vaccination uptake.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Decon posted:

That is a sweet woman and I'd bet that was the first time in years if not decades that she's said "loving".

And the fuckin "gimme the monoclonal antibodies!!!" Guess what the loving vaccine teaches your body to produce on its own, you absolute loving clowns.

I’m surprised they’re asking for monoclonal antibodies, I thought horse dewormer was their drug.

metachronos
Sep 11, 2001

When I roll, baby I roll DEEP

This dumbass oaf represents my district. He also voted against a statewide ban on bestiality. His brother is actually super chill though and basically his polar opposite lmao.

Xotl
May 28, 2001

Be seeing you.

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

Eh I'm not so sure looking at the UK and Canada's vaccination uptake.

Well, "strong" is relative, I admit. I'm in Canadian and the attitudes are definitely there (pretty much copying U.S. expressions of those attitudes, complete with obsessions over U.S. political figures), but all the same we're enjoying very high rates of vaccination takeup.

Xotl fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Aug 20, 2021

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

metachronos posted:

This dumbass oaf represents my district. He also voted against a statewide ban on bestiality. His brother is actually super chill though and basically his polar opposite lmao.

Ah, what the gently caress?

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

metachronos posted:

This dumbass oaf represents my district. He also voted against a statewide ban on bestiality.

Lol

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

How are u posted:

I don't believe so as far as I know, but if Delta got in once it will get in again. We've seen what's happened to fortress Australia.

Well then you kind of answered your own question, by determining that they haven't ever had to lock down every other week. My guess is that their policy is based on the actual situation on the ground, and that they're focusing on total eradication via quarantine and isolation while that's still feasible. So far they've proven that they can effectively do that. If that stops being the case, then that's the time to consider relaxing restrictions and focusing on mitigation, not before.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

gay picnic defence posted:

Ah, what the gently caress?

Freedom isn't free

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Xotl posted:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-07-26/covid-vaccine-rate-in-older-australians-vaccination-figures/100324228

Many in Australia blame the government groups responsible for mixed guidance on the AZ vaccine, but at least equally culpable (IMO) has been the media reporting on "concerns" about the AZ blood clots. Originally Pfizer was prioritized for high risk groups and AZ was gradually released to the rest of the population, starting with the oldest. Unfortunately by that point a bunch of the boomers were terrified of blood clots so many were refusing to get AZ. The government finally made it available to all adults at the end of June but with the dosages spaced three months apart.

Xotl
May 28, 2001

Be seeing you.

DickParasite posted:

Many in Australia blame the government groups responsible for mixed guidance on the AZ vaccine, but at least equally culpable (IMO) has been the media reporting on "concerns" about the AZ blood clots. Originally Pfizer was prioritized for high risk groups and AZ was gradually released to the rest of the population, starting with the oldest. Unfortunately by that point a bunch of the boomers were terrified of blood clots so many were refusing to get AZ. The government finally made it available to all adults at the end of June but with the dosages spaced three months apart.

We saw similar reactions here in Canada, when we were able to secure an AZ supply. I got a double-dose of that (after slow elderly rates, they opened the doses up to younger people rather than wasting it and we all hoovered it up quick), but yeah, my mother went through the same fear and held out until we got something else. It's a really lovely argument position when you have to start with "don't worry, the odds of your blood clotting is really low" and I find it hard to blame people for not wanting to take that gamble, even if it's a gamble along the lines of "walk outside and you might be hit by lightning", because people are bad with statistics and everyone knows there's alternate vaccines out there that they can hold out for.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Xotl posted:

The biggest issue with the Australian vaccine rollout was the federal government trying to haggle with Pfizer and the only placing an order in November 2020 when their order book was full. As a result we’re only now just starting to see significant quantities of vaccines other than AZ. The other vaccines they ordered, one was canned in the trial stage because it gave HIV false positives and the other one was Novavax which is having significant production and delivery problems.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Just lol

https://twitter.com/JeremySWallace/status/1427722633685213186

https://twitter.com/PatrickSvitek/status/1427735050033016836

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

gay picnic defence posted:

The biggest issue with the Australian vaccine rollout was the federal government trying to haggle with Pfizer and the only placing an order in November 2020 when their order book was full. As a result we’re only now just starting to see significant quantities of vaccines other than AZ. The other vaccines they ordered, one was canned in the trial stage because it gave HIV false positives and the other one was Novavax which is having significant production and delivery problems.

Novovax's biggest problems isn't production and delivery, it's that their trials started later and have taken longer so it's not actually approved for use anywhere yet.

Pinecone Sample
Oct 12, 2010

THIS ACCOUNT HAS BEEN SEIZED
by the United States Federal Bureau of Investigation in accordance with a seizure warrant issued pursuant to 69 U.S.C Sec. 420

I reckon Abbott would either be the only person in America getting monoclonal antibody treatment while having no symptoms, or he has some significant symptoms.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

Lol get hosed

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

metachronos posted:

this is the quality content i read gbs for

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Pinecone Sample posted:

I reckon Abbott would either be the only person in America getting monoclonal antibody treatment while having no symptoms, or he has some significant symptoms.

The rules for those in power are different, friend

metachronos posted:

This dumbass oaf represents my district. He also voted against a statewide ban on bestiality.

Because... it wasn't harsh enough? :ohdear:

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

latinotwink1997 posted:

My understanding is that the plan is to open the borders in the first half of next year. Personally I think we could just keep a 2 week quarantine up because why the heck not?
Anyway I just popped in to ask about masks, seeing as I have to think about this now and would rather not wade through whatever misinformation can be found in a google search. What is the latest on cloth masks? How about face shields?

7of7
Jul 1, 2008

Pinecone Sample posted:

Regeneron monoclonals are authorized for use pretty widely. The conditions that qualify basically cover all US adults (BMI>25, hypertension, diabetes, >65 years old) and IIRC the US government already bought a bunch that's just sitting on shelves.

So any goons reading this who test positive should definitely try to get monoclonals. Call around and don't give up if your Dr is a dumbass who prescribes something stupid like antibiotics. Monoclonals are great but only in the first few days.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

TIL Greg Abbott's used a wheelchair since 1986 and has been paid $9M since then as part of a lawsuit against the homeowner and tree care company after a tree fell on him while he was jogging at age 26.

$5000/month since 1986 increasing at 4%/year, plus lump sums every 3 years.

all tax free too

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Weka posted:

Anyway I just popped in to ask about masks, seeing as I have to think about this now and would rather not wade through whatever misinformation can be found in a google search. What is the latest on cloth masks? How about face shields?

get a KF94, N95, KN95 or FFP2 rated mask. No idea which of those you can easily get in NZ or if there's a bunch of counterfeits

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

https://www.theatlantic.com/science/archive/2021/08/how-we-live-coronavirus-forever/619783/

Some quotes, but the full article is interesting:

quote:

Letting the virus rip through unvaccinated people may get us to endemicity quickest, but it will also kill the most people along the way.

quote:

Delta has already derailed summer reopening plans in the U.S. And with so much of the world still vulnerable to infection, the virus has many, many opportunities to luck into new variants that may yet enhance its ability to spread and reinfect. The good news is this virus is unlikely to evolve so much that it sets our immunity back to zero. “Our immune responses are so complex, it’s basically impossible for a virus to escape them all,” says Sarah Cobey, an evolutionary biologist at the University of Chicago. For example, levels of antibodies that quickly neutralize SARS-CoV-2 do indeed drop over time, as happens against most pathogens, but reserves of B cells and T cells that also recognize the virus lie in wait. This means that immunity against infection may wane first, but the protection against severe illness and death are much more durable.

quote:

The transition to endemic COVID-19 is also a psychological one. When everyone has some immunity, a COVID-19 diagnosis becomes as routine as diagnosis of strep or flu—not good news, but not a reason for particular fear or worry or embarrassment either. That means unlearning a year of messaging that said COVID-19 was not just a flu.

quote:

Endemic COVID-19 means finding a new, tolerable way to live with this virus. It will feel strange for a while and then it will not. It will be normal.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

Fate Accomplice posted:

TIL Greg Abbott's used a wheelchair since 1986 and has been paid $9M since then as part of a lawsuit against the homeowner and tree care company after a tree fell on him while he was jogging at age 26.

$5000/month since 1986 increasing at 4%/year, plus lump sums every 3 years.

all tax free too

You missed the best part.
https://www.texastribune.org/2013/08/04/candidate-faces-questions-turnabout-and-fair-play/

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Just sweet talked my doc into a third dose of Moderna in my own name. If anyone calls about it I'm supposed to fake liver failure.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

Charliegrs posted:

Lol get hosed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Haha his dick doesn’t work