Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
lol if you aren't an alchemically powered monstrosity with hundreds of points of personality overriding all possible reputation hits

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Also fits rp for a Telvanni playthrough, presumably they invented Bug Musk.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Imagine being a hosed up freak that imagines a world where bugs smell good. I couldnt come up withe it myself, but that's the kind of twisted genius that gives us Morrowind.

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Imagine being a hosed up freak that imagines a world where bugs smell good. I couldnt come up withe it myself, but that's the kind of twisted genius that gives us Morrowind.

They don't just smell good they're haute cuisine

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

It probably smells like garbage but is full of concentrated pheromones or something

"Ugh, that Telvanni stinks like dead caterpillars. But y'know... there's a certain undefinable allure..."

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Didn't Michael Kirkblade just get high as gently caress before writing all of the Morrowind lore?

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Ginette Reno posted:

Didn't Michael Kirkblade just get high as gently caress before writing all of the Morrowind lore?

No he has a background in theology and a good imagination. Not every creative endeavor is the result of drugs

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

The good ones are tho

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

No he has a background in theology and a good imagination. Not every creative endeavor is the result of drugs

No doubt. I thought in this case that was specifically a thing though.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
I think a lot of it was written on sleep deprivation

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
We literally use crushed bugs for red food colouring and whale vomit for high end perfumes. I don't think bug musk is that weird.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

M currently Arch Mage and a Magister and both the Mages Guild and the Telvanni love me.

Temple people HATE me though and many won't even talk to me

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Ginette Reno posted:

No doubt. I thought in this case that was specifically a thing though.

reddit user MKirkbride posted:

For over ten years, I abused liquor and benzos, a combination that tends to kill you. It started as a way to deal with anxiety and depression until it just became my life.
I was awful when I was supposed the be getting better. If you got to know me from anywhere between 2013-2015, I’m really sorry, I thought I had no way back to sanity. And in the ten years before, I wasn’t much better.
https://www.reddit.com/r/teslore/comments/hzcfhx/does_vivec_raping_his_kids_to_death_not_sit_well/fzklmr6/

...Morrowind was a 2002 release, so fitting the "for over ten years" timeline.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
I think the "you gotta be a crazy suffering artist" or "you gotta be all hosed up on crazy poo poo to channel the creative muses" is probably a bad concept that hurts people.

Iirc there actually was one specific artist who was heavily manic and decided that it was good and that's where the art came from, and she aggressively pushed this idea? And pushed people to not get help because it'll extinguish the spark? Something like this, someone mentioned her by name somewhere if I'm remembering right.

It seems like something that really makes sense in an altered mental state, and sort of makes sense to an outsider, but if you think about it it doesn't mean poo poo. If you don't already have the background in theology or whatever, you won't have the mental toolset needed to create these ideas. It never came from the drugs it came from the work.

Maybe you can use stuff to jog your brain and think differently for a little while, but a dream can do that too.

I also think it's a little funny that the story that kirkbride totally hosed his poo poo up to write mw started with him going on a cig and booze bender and evolved to him locking himself up while on acid and other more intense stuff. I for sure remember the story getting gradually crazier in the retelling.

I don't think it's so good to romanticize debilitating mental illnesses and addiction and drug damage. Hell, I just saw a thing about this artist who documented his breakdown and suicide with paintings and this journal, and it's like, why would these art critic fucks be fawning over the incredible emotions on the canvas when it's really not worth the guy dying about it? It's absolutely not worth it to have these artifacts or peering into this guy's mental world when he should be getting help instead of getting dead!

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

It's also a practical matter. Being a professional entertainer or artist doesn't require you to bring the same level of performance every day the way something like a 9-5 M-F does. If you're dealing with serious mental illness or substance issues you can survive a lot longer in those fields than a traditional job. It doesn't require you to get your poo poo dealt with the same way, especially if you have the talent, creativity, and connections to compensate.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

SniperWoreConverse posted:

I also think it's a little funny that the story that kirkbride totally hosed his poo poo up to write mw started with him going on a cig and booze bender and evolved to him locking himself up while on acid and other more intense stuff. I for sure remember the story getting gradually crazier in the retelling.

Yeah, but do you think he was lying about loving his life up with benzos?

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

the sermons of vivec specifically were written with some mushrooms and lots of booze/cigarettes in isolation from other people, at least the way kirkbride has usually told it. i'm pretty sure most of the rest was devised during relatively sober regular working hours by kirkbride and also ken ralston (whose contributions are underrated imo)

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

ulmont posted:

Yeah, but do you think he was lying about loving his life up with benzos?

No.

Jazerus posted:

the sermons of vivec specifically were written with some mushrooms and lots of booze/cigarettes in isolation from other people, at least the way kirkbride has usually told it. i'm pretty sure most of the rest was devised during relatively sober regular working hours by kirkbride and also ken ralston (whose contributions are underrated imo)

This I did not know. The way I first heard it was a few cartons and empty bottles.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Jazerus posted:

this is a lie

The way I first heard it was a few cartons and empty bottles.

the original story was he "locked himself in a room with booze and cigarettes and didn't come out until it was finished" which is already an embellishment. i heard he lived on a diet of rainwater and elmers glue from his isolation tank, and the sermons were transcribed in morse code from him pounding on the walls

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Ended up going with a Nightblade instead of Sorc because I really wanted to do Morag Tong and thought it'd be easier that way. I'm pretty far along this play now and should be hitting up Tribunal soonish

Argonians rule, especially once you've done enough of the MQ to be immune to disease. Being immune to both poison and disease is very nice.

I like my Netch shoulders but I kinda wanna see how Glass Shoulders go with this look. I haven't found any yet though.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Ginette Reno posted:

Ended up going with a Nightblade instead of Sorc because I really wanted to do Morag Tong and thought it'd be easier that way. I'm pretty far along this play now and should be hitting up Tribunal soonish

Argonians rule, especially once you've done enough of the MQ to be immune to disease. Being immune to both poison and disease is very nice.

I like my Netch shoulders but I kinda wanna see how Glass Shoulders go with this look. I haven't found any yet though.

There's a merchant that sells a full set except the tower shield. And there's a guy in Tribunal who will build any glass armor you want if you bring him enough raw glass.

Merchant location: lower level of the Tower of Dusk in Ghostgate

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

https://twitter.com/UESP_net/status/1432674998142083079

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Skwirl posted:

There's a merchant that sells a full set except the tower shield. And there's a guy in Tribunal who will build any glass armor you want if you bring him enough raw glass.

Merchant location: lower level of the Tower of Dusk in Ghostgate

Ah thanks I'll have to check that out. I'm goin for kind of a mix of unarmored/light for style purposes. And I've been wearing the Fists of Randagulf as well because they're too good not to.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Plus you can't wear boots so you might as well forget a few armor pieces to get your unarmored up

Tag yourself I'm lower right

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

A mix of glass and daedric is the ultimate armor aesthetic

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

my Nerevarine looks like a cool ronin because I consoled in a gondolier shirt, threw a fancy skirt on and a Redoran watchman helmet. poo poo rocks

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
Just lol if you aren't rocking exquisite shoes

Cookie Cutter
Nov 29, 2020

Is there something else that's bothering you Mr. President?

My most aesthetic Nerevarine was my "I am literally a Dunmeri folk hero" outfit, attempting to incorporate a load of their religious and mythical signifiers - bare feet and lower legs, chitin greaves, bare chest, single Indoril pauldron, Indoril helm, dreugh shield on one hand, wraithguard and ebony spear in the other (spear wielded single handed via mods). Very greek hoplite/demigod in vibe, leaping across the tops of the ash dunes and spearing things.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Cookie Cutter posted:

My most aesthetic Nerevarine was my "I am literally a Dunmeri folk hero" outfit, attempting to incorporate a load of their religious and mythical signifiers - bare feet and lower legs, chitin greaves, bare chest, single Indoril pauldron, Indoril helm, dreugh shield on one hand, wraithguard and ebony spear in the other (spear wielded single handed via mods). Very greek hoplite/demigod in vibe, leaping across the tops of the ash dunes and spearing things.

Lol this owns

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Playing Tribunal for the first time and good lord that's a lot of Goblins. It's a lot harder than default Morrowind but I'm still carving through them for the most part. They do have a poo poo load of health, though. But whenever anything is remotely tough I can kinda cheese it with 100% chameleon items so :v:.

I'm pretty sure my left click is getting worn out from stabbing so much.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
I booted up the Xbox version because game pass

Good god I put hours into this? Such a weird feeling, like being impoverished but having an open world in front of you.

That first smuggler cave is way beyond what a lot of starting characters can deal with.

It preserves the incredibly low resolution and terrible controls, it's basically insane

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

I booted up the Xbox version because game pass

Good god I put hours into this? Such a weird feeling, like being impoverished but having an open world in front of you.

That first smuggler cave is way beyond what a lot of starting characters can deal with.

It preserves the incredibly low resolution and terrible controls, it's basically insane

What a grand and intoxicating innocence we all had.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
If you turn subtitles on like 30% of the screen is gonna be "you've finally arrived but our records don't show from where" and then the enormous race select screen with the incredibly fedelitous 3d head pops up

I legitimately re-remember why this game was a HUGE game changer at the time. Make sure to set your Y axis inversion.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
So I beat Tribunal and my trip report is it's kinda meh. Lots of grindy hp sponge enemies and I didn't find the quests terribly interesting. Almalexia is obviously crazy from the moment you meet her but you're still railroaded into doing all of her quests and not questioning that. The Helseth quest line was more interesting to me what with all of the rumors about him poisoning people and being a manipulative poo poo but unless I missed something there isn't any way to expose that fact either? And he is (probably) not a bad ruler since Barenziah seems pretty cool and he's at least not batshit crazy other than being paranoid that everyone is out to get him.

I think I'm off to Oblivion now. A little burnt out on Morrowind so I'll save Bloodmoon for a future playthrough. I've never played Oblivion before so I'm cautiously excited to see how lovely or not it is.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Ginette Reno posted:

So I beat Tribunal and my trip report is it's kinda meh. Lots of grindy hp sponge enemies and I didn't find the quests terribly interesting. Almalexia is obviously crazy from the moment you meet her but you're still railroaded into doing all of her quests and not questioning that. The Helseth quest line was more interesting to me what with all of the rumors about him poisoning people and being a manipulative poo poo but unless I missed something there isn't any way to expose that fact either? And he is (probably) not a bad ruler since Barenziah seems pretty cool and he's at least not batshit crazy other than being paranoid that everyone is out to get him.

I think I'm off to Oblivion now. A little burnt out on Morrowind so I'll save Bloodmoon for a future playthrough. I've never played Oblivion before so I'm cautiously excited to see how lovely or not it is.
Tribunal's main quest is remarkably badly executed on just about every level, which is a shame because all the actual ideas, concepts, even the dungeons are in theory really interesting. The writing just drops the ball really, really hard. At least Mournhold is cool and there are a lot of really good sidequests.

I think there are a couple of mods out there that completely overhaul it but I'm not sure if any of them are actually good

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Tribunal's main quest is remarkably badly executed on just about every level, which is a shame because all the actual ideas, concepts, even the dungeons are in theory really interesting. The writing just drops the ball really, really hard. At least Mournhold is cool and there are a lot of really good sidequests.

I think there are a couple of mods out there that completely overhaul it but I'm not sure if any of them are actually good

Yeah I thought the writing was much weaker than the main game. I'm not sure if it was a different crew writing it or if they were rushed or what. I don't mind the core idea of the plot but I think Almalexia's madness should have been more subtle before the reveal. I found myself wondering why my Nerevarine would turn on a machine to make Ashstorms for her or unquestioningly acquire her artifacts. There was no real reason to do those things other than the story demanded it.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?
One of the things I love about the Ashlander Julan companion mod is Julan's running commentary as you do the Tribunal main quest.

"Well, she's obviously crazy."
"You know she's not going to take you back, right?"
"Oh, now you want your special sword to be on fire?"
"I hope you light your pants on fire."

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

yeah tribunal kinda sucked. bloodmoon was real good, at least.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I loved Tribunal. I especially that bit cool room in a Dwemer Dungeon where you see little ash piles in chairs around a table.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

The goon mod that makes Tribunal level appropriate for goons pre Morrowind post-game does a good job of at least decreasing the hit point spongieness.