Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Charlatan Eschaton
Feb 23, 2018

Jazerus posted:

our culture has less developed memories because we're literate. literacy is at its base a way to compensate for your memory being imperfect, if you don't have a crutch then you work much harder to remember things. on a societal scale literacy is often better at information preservation and is obviously much better for information transmission, while the document survives, and not having to devote as much energy to remembering frees you up to do other things - lots of advantages to literacy - but there are some downsides too.

this guy argues that literacy has reduced peoples imagination because now it is easier to reference written facts than interpret meaning from our surroundings. many orally communicated myths convey historical information about geologic events that have changed the landscape
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7yzsaOdBR4&t=259s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Jazerus posted:

our culture has less developed memories because we're literate. literacy is at its base a way to compensate for your memory being imperfect, if you don't have a crutch then you work much harder to remember things. on a societal scale literacy is often better at information preservation and is obviously much better for information transmission, while the document survives, and not having to devote as much energy to remembering frees you up to do other things - lots of advantages to literacy - but there are some downsides too.

this is just speculation there's no way to measure that. and to say that non-literate cultures didn't have any way of recording things is just wrong.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cave_of_Altamira
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warren_Field

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
hell, we have material and decently studied effects on memory in the last 20 years from having google

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

ArmZ posted:

this is just speculation there's no way to measure that. and to say that non-literate cultures didn't have any way of recording things is just wrong.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cave_of_Altamira
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warren_Field

it's a good thing i didn't say that they had absolutely no way of recording things, then. and yes, there is actually plenty of evidence of this both historical and modern; there has been a lot of study of australian aboriginal oral traditions and the function of memory there, as well as various other native oral traditions around the world. it's quite well-documented that if you spend a significant portion of your life learning to remember things you will be better at it than someone who depends on external memory aids. i think there are some greek writings about how old folks complained that literacy was degenerating the minds of the youth when it was first taking off, too.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Gonna blow my grandkids' minds by telling them I used to memorize my friends' phone numbers

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
i could easily defeat any ancient egyptian in a match of starcraft 2

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

PostNouveau posted:

Gonna blow my grandkids' minds by telling them I used to memorize my friends' phone numbers

Our roommate is amazed that I know my zip code, she's only like 3 years younger than me

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

little munchkin posted:

i bet you couldn’t beat a modern egyptian at starcraft never mind an ancient one

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

little munchkin posted:

Trap sprung :smuggo:

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Arsenic Lupin posted:

It's pretty standard for Chinese parents (maybe others, but the ones I've heard of are explicitly Chinese, often Mainland Chinese) to buy condos for their college-going children, wait till the child graduates, then sell the condo at a profit. Win-win. Vancouver would be the ideal place to do this. The student may be the actual owner, or this may be a way of protecting the profits from being taxable to the parents.

This is, of course, causing runaway housing inflation in college towns.

In Vancouver it's to evade the foreign buyer/speculation taxes that were specifically set up to prevent housing from costing $40 million in the first place.

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005

Jazerus posted:

We live in a culture that deliberately wants us to forget things.
This is new development from after world war II.

It was a cross between advertisers selling you junk
and people just wanting to forget the war ever happened.

This is like 70% of where I know this stuff from - see if you can get it for free from the library.
https://www.thegreatcourses.com/courses/literary-modernism-the-struggle-for-modern-history

Gertrude Stine or Virginia Woolf (forget which) they hate remembering
The weight of History is too much, so they gave up instead of trying to remember the history of words.

mazzi Chart Czar has issued a correction as of 23:21 on Aug 17, 2021

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
people born male are better at physics because they need to know extremely complicated gravitational systems and fluid dynamics to not piss on the toilet seat at 3am

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

people born male are better at physics because they need to know extremely complicated gravitational systems and fluid dynamics to not piss on the toilet seat at 3am

The urinals at my work disprove this statement.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Shwqa posted:

i did define it as "people"

your workmates aren't people, obviously

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Shwqa posted:

But if you check out the men's room at CERN you could eat your lunch off the floor, and each urinal cake has a hole drilled precisely through it's center with pee

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

Gonna go compete in women's physics competitions and use my biological advantage for profit. Maybe I'll invent artificial wombs and obsolete the feminine essence with my transsexual empire buddies later idk.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

tokin opposition posted:

Gonna go compete in women's physics competitions and use my biological advantage for profit. Maybe I'll invent artificial wombs and obsolete the feminine essence with my transsexual empire buddies later idk.

i don't know if they have pissing competitions anymore

i know they used to in medieval times

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

i don't know if they have pissing competitions anymore

i know they used to in medieval times

Believe me, anything involving academia definitely has pissing contests.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000

Byzantine posted:

On the other-other hand, video games wouldn't be invented for four thousand years, so what else were you gonna do?

Riot and revolt were historically popular alternatives to corvee labour.

raspurtin
Apr 18, 2005

bob dobbs is dead posted:

i'm being a fuckin weirdo about this in certain ways but formal game theory is a theory of mind and a technology at the same time. I don't think ancient egyptians could've come up with MAD - it requires weapons of great destructive power to exist

Yeah, I've been getting hung up because Theory of Mind is a specific thing in psychology "theory of mind refers to the mental capacity to understand other people and their behavior by ascribing mental states to them." https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theory_of_mind (sorry for quoting wikipedia). It's something that is innate in humans (barring disorders), develops in infancy and is related to social interaction and language acquisition. It may even exist in other species.

Philosophy of mind or of consciousness are completely different from that and are largely cultural artifacts. I'm not familiar with Jaynes theories, I'll have to read up on that.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
jaynes really is a nutter. but at least he had the good grace to be an interesting nutter

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Well I'm glad we got that all cleared up.

Anyway, I call it crapitalism

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Shame Boy posted:

Our roommate is amazed that I know my zip code, she's only like 3 years younger than me

That's just your roommate being a doofus, zip codes are still relevant in a way memorizing phone numbers is not, plus it's one five digit number not bunches of longer ones

raspurtin posted:

It may even exist in other species.

with almost total certainty it exists in some other species

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Boy scout sexual abuse has got to be funnier than the office.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

raspurtin posted:

It may even exist in other species.

When a crow is caching food, if it knows it is being watched by another crow it will continue as normal, then come back later and relocate the cache when it's not being watched.

To me that strongly implies some kind of theory of mind

Edit: juvenile Australian magpies play hide and seek at least as well as a five-year-old human child

GotLag has issued a correction as of 03:41 on Aug 18, 2021

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

The Bloop posted:

That's just your roommate being a doofus, zip codes are still relevant in a way memorizing phone numbers is not, plus it's one five digit number not bunches of longer ones

Actually it's her being chronically homeless and bouncing around between friends' houses a lot before this so zip codes were kinda useless information to retain for any amount of time to her, but that's a lot more depressing so I left it out :v:

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

makes it pointless in the context of the conversation so good call there

:glomp:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Ruffian Price posted:

makes it pointless in the context of the conversation so good call there

:glomp:

Look I just want to rant about kids these days okay :colbert:

(And yeah she's doing better now :unsmith:)

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Sitting down is not extremely complicated lmao.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

3D Megadoodoo posted:

???

If you sit down to take a piss you might end up taking a poo poo then you’ve woken up fully at 3am and you’re hosed, god, you people are amateurs

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Then you risk touching the inside of the bowl, a fate worse than death. Thankfully evolution provided us an out!

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Jazerus posted:

it's a good thing i didn't say that they had absolutely no way of recording things, then. and yes, there is actually plenty of evidence of this both historical and modern; there has been a lot of study of australian aboriginal oral traditions and the function of memory there, as well as various other native oral traditions around the world. it's quite well-documented that if you spend a significant portion of your life learning to remember things you will be better at it than someone who depends on external memory aids. i think there are some greek writings about how old folks complained that literacy was degenerating the minds of the youth when it was first taking off, too.

sorry you're a dumbass this is just anti-modernist bullshit

most kids these days spend their whole school life memorizing things for tests. your whole argument is based on speculation.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

ArmZ posted:

most kids these days spend their whole school life memorizing things for tests. your whole argument is based on speculation.

Don't 99% of them then immediately forget 99% of that stuff after the exam though?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

???

If you sit down to take a piss you might end up taking a poo poo then you’ve woken up fully at 3am and you’re hosed, god, you people are amateurs

I have voluntary control of when I poo poo

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

repetition is a key part of long term memory yes. that's why his argument is dumb, people's memory wasn't better back then they just repeated things more often through oral tradition etc.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Check your elongated bowl privledge.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

ArmZ posted:

repetition is a key part of long term memory yes. that's why his argument is dumb, people's memory wasn't better back then they just repeated things more often through oral tradition etc.

the OP says this dumbass

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Shame Boy posted:

I hope Red Lobster found out about it somehow because I'm sure they love their seafood restaurant being advertised in front of videos on how seafood can kill you if you don't act quickly.

But lobsters don't have bones.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Guys, I'm starting to think capitalism can't solve the climate crisis

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

ArmZ posted:

sorry you're a dumbass this is just anti-modernist bullshit

we're potentially "smarter" now for those of us that know how to look things up, which has become progressively easier over the last 30-40 years