Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Hub Cat posted:

Cowardly game developers too gutless to put rideable triceratopses with machine guns in their video games:argh:

Not an empty quote

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Palpek posted:

12 Minutes and Recompile release on the Game Pass tomorrow :hellyeah:

First time hearing about Recompile and this looks sick as hell. 12 minutes I was eh on but I can get hyped for this.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

...huh. Kinda wild that this exists, though I doubt I'd pay full price for it. Makes me wonder how many other weird old games from that era got fairly recent remakes like this. Paradroid? Impossible Mission? Up'n Down?

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1134050/Head_Over_Heels/ is another remake

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

They're not quite that old, but there are PS4 versions of James Pond and Putty Squad. The Zool remaster is also coming out this month

e: There was an Archon remake in 2010, it's on Steam

Veib fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Aug 18, 2021

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...
...why?

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Whaaaaaaaaaaaat

Is it any good?! I am having flashbacks. Ah, the Speccy.

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug

Man, I loved this game on my C 64. Man that was so long ago :allears:

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Palpek posted:

12 Minutes and Recompile release on the Game Pass tomorrow :hellyeah:

Man gamepass is killing it this month :eyepop: Wasn't going to resub till Psychonauts 2 came out but I think I might jump in early.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Another chunk of "can't remember buying" games

Outdrive

Bright neon, wire-frame-esque, with a synth-retro 80s style soundtrack. It's a endless racer where you just have to keep boosting most of the time to avoid losing with mediocre driving mechanics. The whole style and aesthetic is pretty cool, definitely some solid cyberpunk feel to it, but as a game there just isn't much anything there. It doesn't seem that complicated for the first few minutes, and I might've been more interested to play if the controller settings were some of the worst I've ever seen for a driving game. You have to click the left thumbstick to boost, and also using it to drive so it's a massive pain in the rear end.

Also allegedly is being used to mine bitcoin on your computer.

Okhlos: Omega

Pixel graphic action-arcade type game that after 5 minutes I went "Oh, that's cool, but I'll probably stop playing now" and then 15 minutes later was facing a boss. Then I gave up because I didn't like the game enough to try and learn all the little details to not get my rear end kicked by the boss.

It's a quirky humorous game going in a Greek myth setting. You control a mob, composed of various classes of npcs you just pick up, and can guide around with the mouse to attack/defend. The "philosphers" control the mob and act as your lives. The citizens will attack and defend. The slaves can pick up and carry things. There are various heroes and upgrades you can get. It's hard to explain but it's got a lot charm.

Human Resource Machine

From the makers of Little Inferno, which is one hell of a fun, chill podcast game, comes a office worker puzzle game. You're the new employee, and to do your job you, the player, has to set up lines of code to automate the tasks of the player character based on the demands of the task. You start with inbox/outbox, and slowly more abilities are added on until you're basically automating complex jobs.

Kind of on the nose a bit for the typical function of a work office, but a really fun game I couldn't get into because I have no code experience and aren't a huge fan of puzzle games in general.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I feel like I've been waiting for 12 Minutes forever, so I'm going to be pretty disappointed if it doesn't own. That said, I still have basically no idea what I actually expect from the game, and don't want to know much more before I play either, so fingers crossed.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Mordja posted:

Finally, the Pinoccio Dark Souls you've all been waiting for.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jeBvEyMmzc&t=187s
this is the dumbest loving thing and i'm 100% sold on it.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Delsaber posted:

...huh. Kinda wild that this exists, though I doubt I'd pay full price for it. Makes me wonder how many other weird old games from that era got fairly recent remakes like this. Paradroid? Impossible Mission? Up'n Down?
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1449480/Impossible_Mission_Remastered/

https://store.steampowered.com/app/38700/Toki_Tori/

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

It used to be freeware. Not any more, I guess

But they made many others

https://www.retrospec.sgn.net/index.php?link=finished

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Tetris Effect: Connected is out on Steam, and the Connected update is live on Epic/PS4/Quest if you already bought it on there

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1003590/Tetris_Effect_Connected/

it's very good you should buy it

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Finished Axiom Verge 2 last night. Bummed at how short on details and long on cliffhanger the ending was; that being said, noticing one of the character portraits in the credits bearing a certain similarity to something from AV1 has me intrigued enough that I kinda want to replay that while AV2's details are fresh in my mind

As for AV2, overall I liked it a lot. Loved most of the music and artwork, and by the endgame the PC was a delight to control. The whole hacking thing felt a little under-baked somehow, I liked the Address Disruptor in the first game a lot more. And even though the first game's weapon selection kinda devolved into "just use Kilver", most of them were at least interesting. Here, some of the drone upgrades are ok but almost everything being melee was ultimately pretty boring

(e) Plot question for anyone else who's finished it: are An'ansur, and Sudra from the first game, supposed to be the same place or something? I thought some of the Breach areas looked very Sudra-esque, but how that - and the main locale, whatever it was called - ties into AV1 eludes me

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Aug 18, 2021

Zaphiel
Apr 20, 2006

Fun Shoe
My husband and I have been having a blast playing Galaxy Champions TV, which is basically a remake of Smash TV, but with random upgrades throughout your run.

It's currently $2 which is an absolute steal if you loved Smash TV.

Any recommendations for coop arena shooters like it, besides Assault Android Cactus?

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

e: wrong thread

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

Zaphiel posted:

My husband and I have been having a blast playing Galaxy Champions TV, which is basically a remake of Smash TV, but with random upgrades throughout your run.

Any recommendations for coop arena shooters like it, besides Assault Android Cactus?

Xeno Crisis
Enter the Gungeon

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!

Ciaphas posted:

Finished Axiom Verge 2 last night. Bummed at how short on details and long on cliffhanger the ending was; that being said, noticing one of the character portraits in the credits bearing a certain similarity to something from AV1 has me intrigued enough that I kinda want to replay that while AV2's details are fresh in my mind

As for AV2, overall I liked it a lot. Loved most of the music and artwork, and by the endgame the PC was a delight to control. The whole hacking thing felt a little under-baked somehow, I liked the Address Disruptor in the first game a lot more. And even though the first game's weapon selection kinda devolved into "just use Kilver", most of them were at least interesting. Here, some of the drone upgrades are ok but almost everything being melee was ultimately pretty boring

(e) Plot question for anyone else who's finished it: are An'ansur, and Sudra from the first game, supposed to be the same place or something? I thought some of the Breach areas looked very Sudra-esque, but how that - and the main locale, whatever it was called - ties into AV1 eludes me

Response to the spoiler:
Sudra is the planet/dimension AV1 takes place in, and you visit it briefly (the emergence) in AV2. The universe works like a tree: dimensions branch of from a 'main' one. in this case, sudra is the mother dimension for the one you explore in the second game.

the breach is kinda like the connective tissue/warped dimension between worlds. in AV1 athetos uses the breach to keep his enemies at bay, with the breach attractor. You destroy it at the end. In AV2 you enter the breach to explore.

The tech that you encounter in AV2 has been imported from sudra. this was the objective of athetos as well, to use the high tech from sudra to improve things on Earth.

Here's some more info: https://axiom-verge.fandom.com/wiki/Sudra

Samopsa fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Aug 18, 2021

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
Bomber Crew is a pretty fun little basic 3D WWII bomber game. It doesn't go for complete historical accuracy (which would actually be pretty cool, this game or a similar game providing high quality true to life graphics) but it does have some engaging systems. The navigation and defense are interesting where you need to spot any plane attacking you while also using navigational markers to steer the plane while also keeping ammo up, fixing systems in the plane, piloting the plane, dropping bombs, using the radar, etc. etc. Once you start falling behind on things it's very hard to catch back up, and if your crew starts dying forget about it. It's a bit addictive to win runs and then use the proceeds to upgrade your bomber and buy your crew better gear so you can take on harder missions. I ended up staying up a lot later than I should've, wanting to get in one more run.

Greak is kind of interesting, it's another metroidvania type thing where reasonably large levels are all connected to each other through entrances and exits, there isn't one single map. Beautiful artwork although the animation can bother me a bit and it can feel a bit clunky compared to some other similar games. Still, if you're a fan of the genre I think you could do worse. Seems to have a decent combat challenge level, I definitely died a few times. Not sure if it has bosses but I hope it does.

I also played a bit of Humankind. Not ready to give an opinion yet but so far I generally like what they have done with the Civ formula. Although in some areas it probably follows that formula a bit TOO closely, there are enough new systems and concepts to keep it interesting. It's also not as complex as I feared, although there are more options to engage with to make it more complex. I only just reached the Ancient Age in my first game so there's a lot more to see before I can really talk knowledgably about it.

pentyne posted:

Outdrive

Also allegedly is being used to mine bitcoin on your computer.

That.... kinda seems like a big deal

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

B-17 The Mighty Eighth does a great job of being a simulationist historical Bomber Crew, and they’re making a new one.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Zaphiel posted:

Not exactly an arena shooter, but you might like Lovers in a dangerous spacetime.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

B-17 The Mighty Eighth does a great job of being a simulationist historical Bomber Crew, and they’re making a new one.

Apparently it's VR-first (although it can be non-VR). Don't love that. I assume that means it's in first person and you just do one job in the bomber? Not sure. I'm definitely curious to find out more.

Bomber Crew is more like FTL but in a WWII bomber, you control the whole crew simultaneously which I do like.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Does Mortal Shell have an in game map or is it true to the souls-likes

Play
Apr 25, 2006

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Does Mortal Shell have an in game map or is it true to the souls-likes

I don't remember it having a map, no. It's a pretty small game area anyways

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Play posted:

That.... kinda seems like a big deal
It's not mining bitcoins. They made the fairly common mistake of not capping fps in the menus so it maxes out your gpu and people on the Steam forums are dumb.

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Aug 18, 2021

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Hub Cat posted:

It's not mining bitcoins. They made the fairly common mistake of not capping fps in the menus so it maxes out your gpu and people on the Steam forums are dumb.

I hate when that happens, I’ve had games hit 3000 fps in the menus sometimes.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

"Who's running the vacuum -- oh that's my PC about to take off"

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Samopsa posted:

Response to the spoiler:
Sudra is the planet/dimension AV1 takes place in, and you visit it briefly (the emergence) in AV2. The universe works like a tree: dimensions branch of from a 'main' one. in this case, sudra is the mother dimension for the one you explore in the second game.

the breach is kinda like the connective tissue/warped dimension between worlds. in AV1 athetos uses the breach to keep his enemies at bay, with the breach attractor. You destroy it at the end. In AV2 you enter the breach to explore.

The tech that you encounter in AV2 has been imported from sudra. this was the objective of athetos as well, to use the high tech from sudra to improve things on Earth.

Here's some more info: https://axiom-verge.fandom.com/wiki/Sudra

Also (at least according to AV1 the plot summary I read after finishing AV2, since I'd forgotten it by now): The whole reason Athetos genocided Sudra was because the people of Sudra were dimension-segregationists, following the star trek Prime Directive -- trying to stop high-tech stuff from their world or A'Ansur from making its way to other worlds and dramatically changing them. Athetos wanted to 'free' the people of Earth to access higher dimensions and benefit from their technology, and he thought killing everyone on Sudra with a bioweapon was the solution to this (though the Rusalki survived which led to the whole AV1 situation).

If that's true, the Lamassu in AV2 is most likely an AI creation of the pre-Athetos Sudra civilization, with his focus on erasing all traces of high technology so the Kiengir people can go back to their "old" way of life once the war is over. He event went as far as commanding all the loyal Wielders to kill themselves with breach bombs. All the leftover technology that the player finds on Kiengir in AV2 is stuff the Lamassu brought from Sudra, and then hid / locked away when it was no longer needed.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Also (at least according to AV1 the plot summary I read after finishing AV2, since I'd forgotten it by now): The whole reason Athetos genocided Sudra was because the people of Sudra were dimension-segregationists, following the star trek Prime Directive -- trying to stop high-tech stuff from their world or A'Ansur from making its way to other worlds and dramatically changing them. Athetos wanted to 'free' the people of Earth to access higher dimensions and benefit from their technology, and he thought killing everyone on Sudra with a bioweapon was the solution to this (though the Rusalki survived which led to the whole AV1 situation).

If that's true, the Lamassu in AV2 is most likely an AI creation of the pre-Athetos Sudra civilization, with his focus on erasing all traces of high technology so the Kiengir people can go back to their "old" way of life once the war is over. He event went as far as commanding all the loyal Wielders to kill themselves with breach bombs. All the leftover technology that the player finds on Kiengir in AV2 is stuff the Lamassu brought from Sudra, and then hid / locked away when it was no longer needed.

And also...
the bioweapon is spreading to the AV2 world as well during the game, as indicated by the humans getting sick and turning into monsters. This is because of the antagonist opening up the portal to Sudra, I guess.

your player character in AV2 is heavily hinted to turn into Ophelia (one of the big battle droids from AV1), which means AV2 is technically a prequel I guess? But all the dimension hopping and cloning and possible time traveling makes it so it can go either way.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I hate when that happens, I’ve had games hit 3000 fps in the menus sometimes.

Didn’t the menus in that amazon MMO manage to brick some 3090s or something

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
I always check the box for Vertical Sync to lock down the frame rate. There might be some con to that, but it isn’t my pc fan exploding. :v:

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

Didn’t the menus in that amazon MMO manage to brick some 3090s or something

Yes but that was 100% the GPU manufacturers fault, specifically EVGA

EVGA owned up to the mistake and cross-shipped replacements at least

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
They did make right by it. EVGA support is unparalleled good. I blame NVIDA more because who would have thought duct taping more ram to the back of a card with minimal heat shielding was a bad idea.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Nyaa posted:

I always check the box for Vertical Sync to lock down the frame rate. There might be some con to that, but it isn’t my pc fan exploding. :v:

VSync has downsides and if you have VRR it's better to cap the framerate than to use VSync.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I remember VSync broke the hell out of Dead Space back in the day.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Nyaa posted:

Vsync is such a good feature. Especially if you play with a TV, like I do, it's almost required and will cut the tearing right down.

Even better if it has a normal framerate limiter AND vsync, since I feel like vsync isn't as important with monitors that have high refresh rates.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
Is there some reason why VSYNC isn't the default for everything on PC? Do people want screen tearing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Is there some reason why VSYNC isn't the default for everything on PC? Do people want screen tearing?

Yes, it adds input lag. Even before I had VRR I would turn it off. It does seem to be the default more often than not, in my experience. Definitely anecdotal on my side.

https://www.maketecheasier.com/what-is-vsync/#:~:text=Disadvantages%20of%20VSync,and%20snap%20reactions%20to%20play.