Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: ZShakespeare)

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

pokeyman posted:

When did the thread that calls Greens "Tesla Tories" decide that their voters will flock to the NDP?

I'd like to know what the second choice among Green party members would actually be. When I was working on local campaigns a lot of the rank and file Greens I ran into were ex-NDP who didn't seem to have read the party's platform or put any deep thought into what our real environmental problems are. The actual candidates I've looked at are closer to the stereotype. I suspect the Greens are like the old Reform Party - if you're in the ranks it's what you want it to be.

Hell, I would have gone Green except I read their platform.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

What exactly is so compelling about the NDP's platform or record (mostly provincially, granted) on the environment? All that springs to mind is their insistence on cap-and-trade instead of a carbon tax, and BC happily clear-cutting old growth forests more or less regardless of which party is in power.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Mr. Clean keeps doubling and tripling down on fighting the "political" decision by Trudeau to mandate vaccines for public service workers.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Hexigrammus posted:

I'd like to know what the second choice among Green party members would actually be. When I was working on local campaigns a lot of the rank and file Greens I ran into were ex-NDP who didn't seem to have read the party's platform or put any deep thought into what our real environmental problems are. The actual candidates I've looked at are closer to the stereotype. I suspect the Greens are like the old Reform Party - if you're in the ranks it's what you want it to be.

Hell, I would have gone Green except I read their platform.

They're not LIKE the old Reform Party, they ARE the old Reform Party. There's an incredible amount of shared members, it's astonishing.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

What the gently caress is store brand Mr. Clean here referring to when he whines that Trudeau 'lied' to people with some website thing?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
He compared Kandahar to Vimy and Juno.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

I don't remember reading about Tim Hortons having presence in the field of Vimy and having a beach shack near Juno...

folytopo
Nov 5, 2013

HackensackBackpack posted:

Oh gross, really? I had no idea. Shame. I tend to like their stuff.

True and Singh has also frequently brought up issues that are provincial in jurisdiction.

It would be kind of funny if it wasn't our government on the line. At least several reporters called out Paul's mistake but I don't know how much made it into official coverage in papers and on TV. If it's just on Twitter, they're really only speaking to other political weirdos like us and other reporters.

I don't know if any of you follow Dale Smith on Twitter. I read his book and it was pretty solid. He has a really strong grasp of convention but sometimes I bet he feels like he's screaming into a void. I do like his regular pot shots at Power and Politics. :mmmhmm:

This is pretty silly. The feds are interested of areas of provincial jurisdiction. The recent Liberal childcare plan being an example. So I looked and it seems like a very decorum brained person.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Stop comparing bullshit to Vimy and Juno challenge.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

UnknownMercenary posted:

Stop comparing bullshit to Vimy and Juno challenge.

This election is O'Toole's Dieppe

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Trudeau is Naismith and O'Toole is the peach buckets.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Another Bill posted:

Trudeau is Naismith and O'Toole is the peach buckets.

O'Toole is the peaches, lying on the ground, bruising easily.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

eXXon posted:

O'Toole is the peaches, lying on the ground, bruising easily.

No, people like peaches. He's more like mountain ash berries, in that normal humans find them gross, but completely separate creatures (birds for mountain ash, conservatives in O'Tool's case) find them palatable.

PT6A fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Aug 17, 2021

Kale
May 14, 2010

I realistically have no hopes for this particular election. Like not seeing much chance of a Singh government of any kind being formed and remain absolutely petrified of some ignorant conservative culture warrior psychopath getting in and just declaring total all out war against anything remotely good, decent, intelligent and productive for society at large and just making a total loving mess out of things since that's basically what modern conservatism seems to be about. I admit I don't know much about Erin O'Toole other than he immediately looks like your cut and dry old white Conservative shithead politician to a T (and probably is), but if he's anything remotely like Andrew Scheer I don't want him anywhere near serious decision making powers over the course of the country.

A quick read up on him says he's apparently deliberately spoken out against far-right politics and espouses a return to a more moderate Conservative party that doesn't just declare all out scorched earth war on everyone but old white people, but I've just fully had enough of conservative poo poo heads and don't think they're really entitled to a chance in Canada any time again soon. Especially after the global rise of people like Trump, Bolsonaro, Johnson and Suga and what a disaster for humanity that has proven in just about every metric out there. They just....consistently gently caress things up, declare culture wars on everyone but old white cis-male people, embrace low brow nationalist/tribalist behavior and belief systems, are aggressively anti-science, petty as all imaginable gently caress, and just all around bad loving people with bad baleful loving intentions at this stage of the conservative moment.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Kale posted:

I realistically have no hopes for this particular election. Like not seeing much chance of a Singh government of any kind being formed and remain absolutely petrified of some ignorant conservative culture warrior psychopath getting in and just declaring total all out war against anything remotely good, decent, intelligent and productive for society at large and just making a total loving mess out of things since that's basically what modern conservatism seems to be about. I admit I don't know much about Erin O'Toole other than he immediately looks like your cut and dry old white Conservative shithead politician to a T (and probably is), but if he's anything remotely like Andrew Scheer I don't want him anywhere near serious decision making powers over the course of the country.

A quick read up on him says he's apparently deliberately spoken out against far-right politics and espouses a return to a more moderate Conservative party that doesn't just declare all out scorched earth war on everyone but old white people, but I've just fully had enough of conservative poo poo heads and don't think they're really entitled to a chance in Canada any time again soon. Especially after the global rise of people like Trump, Bolsonaro, Johnson and Suga and what a disaster for humanity that has proven in just about every metric out there. They just....consistently gently caress things up, declare culture wars on everyone but old white cis-male people, embrace low brow nationalist/tribalist behavior and belief systems, are aggressively anti-science, petty as all imaginable gently caress, and just all around bad loving people with bad baleful loving intentions at this stage of the conservative moment.

Sir this is a Tim Horton's drivethru

Kale
May 14, 2010

Vintersorg posted:

Erin O'Tool seriously looks like the dictionary description of a loving tool. It's so cliche but gently caress - look at that photo. What the gently caress is that. Dude looks like he's in his 60's and those clothes look like poo poo on him. Probably would with anyone. Who the gently caress tucks in a tshirt.

I know they say you shouldn't necessarily judge a book by it's cover, but again recent precedent for how conservatives behave when in power has me saying I know what you mean. Maybe conservatives shouldn't have spent the last decade of making me wary of old white politicians and what sinister plans they have for the average human being if they didn't want me to look at that image and say "yeah...not a chance

Another Bill posted:

Sir this is a Tim Horton's drivethru

No it's not a Tim Horton's Drivethru it's the thread for discussing Canadian Politics and I'm doing that. I suggest going to an actual Tim Horton's drivethru if you want a cup of coffee or whatever. :shrug:

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
The D&D CanPol thread is serious business, folks. Don't even think of making irreverent posts ITT, you must treat this very important election with the respect and decorum it is due.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Pee pee.

Doodoo.

Refusing to recognize another country's de facto government is a meaningful gesture that accomplishes things.

Woozle...wozzle?

Kale
May 14, 2010

infernal machines posted:

The D&D CanPol thread is serious business, folks. Don't even think of making irreverent posts ITT, you must treat this very important election with the respect and decorum it is due.

I greatly benefited from the side splitting humor of seeing the "sir this an *x popular fast food company* drivethru" shitpost one more time. It was that one instance in particular that really made the difference I assure you.

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
THE SPEECH SUPPRESSOR

Remember: it's "antisemitic" to protest genocide as long as the targets are brown.

flakeloaf posted:

Pee pee.

Doodoo.

Refusing to recognize another country's de facto government is a meaningful gesture that accomplishes things.

Woozle...wozzle?

Wrong thread?

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

HackensackBackpack posted:

True and Singh has also frequently brought up issues that are provincial in jurisdiction.

So?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I am going to draw a dick and balls on my ballot because I honestly don't give a gently caress any more and everyone sucks.

The Lib candidate in my riding started her career on real estate boards, I don't think I can bring myself to vote for her. And so far, the NDP do not seem to believe they have a candidate in my riding, at least according to their website. Other sources state they do have one, but if throwing up a picture and a bio on the website is beyond their capacity, I don't feel comfortable voting for them.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

flakeloaf posted:

Pee pee.

Doodoo.

Woozle...wozzle?

Are we refusing to knowledge the Taliban in Afghanistan now or is this something else?

PT6A posted:

I am going to draw a dick and balls on my ballot because I honestly don't give a gently caress any more and everyone sucks.

The Lib candidate in my riding started her career on real estate boards, I don't think I can bring myself to vote for her. And so far, the NDP do not seem to believe they have a candidate in my riding, at least according to their website. Other sources state they do have one, but if throwing up a picture and a bio on the website is beyond their capacity, I don't feel comfortable voting for them.

A self portrait would de-anonymize your ballot...

IDK about where you are but in my riding in Ontario the federal NDP candidate was only chosen at the end of last month, I had no idea who was selected until a few days ago. So it may be that they either haven't actually nominated a candidate in your riding, or the nomination has just gone through and they're still getting everything going for the campaign.

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Aug 17, 2021

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Mad Hamish posted:

What the gently caress is store brand Mr. Clean here referring to when he whines that Trudeau 'lied' to people with some website thing?

Human Resources chief for the public service posted a letter to employees saying that if they refuse to get vaxxed under the liberal plan, they will have to get tested instead. National Post et al jumped at this and said that this meant that the Liberal and Conservative plans are actually the same.

The letter was deleted shortly thereafter and the Liberals’ doubled down on their promise to have some kind of consequence for those who refuse to get vaccinated. Now the Conservatives are saying that a public servant was pressured by the Liberal party to remove the letter which is an ethical breach, and they are calling for an investigation.

The whole thing is very dumb and tedious. No matter how much the Liberals use the word “mandatory”, its clear that there are legal considerations here and you probably won’t get fired for refusing to get vaxxed. So you have the opposition acting like it’s some kind of life and death issue when in reality the thing they are railing against probably won’t be implemented, and the outcome will probably the same regardless of who wins. And even if they did find implement the more draconian version, the amount of public servants who are refusing to get vaxxed for nonmedical reasons is probably tiny, so there are really no stakes here. Kind of a perfect encapsulation of Canadian politics.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!
You should draw a cauliflower penis on your ballot.

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007

PT6A posted:

What does it matter? MPs are totally beholden to the leader of the party that any personal history or ideological differences are meaningless. This is true of all the parties.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

Wait, this is D&D? poo poo, I think I'm lost.

PT6A posted:

Tempting, but...

Kale posted:

... remain absolutely petrified of some ignorant conservative culture warrior psychopath getting in and just declaring total all out war against anything remotely good, decent, intelligent and productive for society at large and just making a total loving mess out of things since that's basically what modern conservatism seems to be about. I admit I don't know much about Erin O'Toole other than he immediately looks like your cut and dry old white Conservative shithead politician to a T (and probably is), but if he's anything remotely like Andrew Scheer I don't want him anywhere near serious decision making powers over the course of the country.

Same, that motivated me enough to register for a mail-in ballot.

Hard to get excited about individual candidates when whipped votes, party discipline, and national leader campaigns work to homogenize everything and make the individuals in parliament irrelevant beyond the final tally. I'm sure though that if I'd continued working hard for the NDP and maneuvered my way in as a delegate to the national convention someone would have been interested in my opinions. As it is now, I receive little cards from my NDP MP with tick boxes next to questions like: "Do you agree with the other guy's plan to develop a new food source by grinding small children into paste or do you support Jagmeet's plan to give them all lollipops? Oh, and send us some money."

Part of the problem is reading too many climate change papers. The IPCC report is a literature review on 10 year old data and it was out of date before the first leak. What's coming down the pipe is going to be very interesting and all of these people seem as prepared to deal with it as a Republican governor facing a pandemic.

At least the wind shifted and we're not getting smoked out atm. Now if you'll excuse me I'm going to take a look at what Malm has to say about blowing up pipelines.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

tagesschau posted:

Wrong thread?

Yeesh, still too serious? I have limits, you know!

Are we refusing to knowledge the Taliban in Afghanistan now or is this something else?

We are most definitely refusing to acknowledge the Taliban in Afghanistan, but sub "again" for "now'.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/canada-recognition-taliban-1.6143660

quote:

Liberal Leader Justin Trudeau put the pin back in a political grenade today by firmly declaring that Canada will not recognize the Taliban regime as the legitimate government in Afghanistan.

His remarks came one day after Foreign Affairs Minister Marc Garneau, speaking on CBC's Power & Politics, said the federal government would take a "wait and see" approach to the question of recognition.

Pressed by opposition attacks, Trudeau firmly closed the door on the notion during a campaign event in Markham, Ont. today.

"They have taken over and replaced the duly elected, democratic government by force," Trudeau said, noting that the federal government of the day did not recognize the Taliban the last time they were in power.

The fairness, freedom and applicability of the democracy that installed Ashraf Ghani, and his objective value as the hopelesly corrupt leader of one of the worst-governed failed states the world has seen in five decades, is open to some interpretation.

A self portrait would de-anonymize your ballot...

:nice:

flakeloaf fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Aug 17, 2021

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Is it illegal if I agree to strategically vote swap with someone in another riding then just draw a dick and balls on my ballot?

ToxicAcne
May 25, 2014

flakeloaf posted:

Yeesh, still too serious? I have limits, you know!

The fairness, freedom and applicability of the democracy that installed Ashraf Ghani, and his objective value as the hopelesly corrupt leader of one of the worst-governed failed states the world has seen in five decades, is open to some interpretation.

:nice:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2019_Afghan_presidential_election#cite_note-9

Elected with turnout in the teens by the way.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Ego-bot posted:

What does it matter? MPs are totally beholden to the leader of the party that any personal history or ideological differences are meaningless. This is true of all the parties.

I agree, but I want someone other than a Conservative to win, and I can't very well accomplish that if my options are a real-estate gently caress or a non-entity.

Maybe I'll make peace with the Liberal real estate woman (who probably has the best chance of being elected other than the CPC candidate), maybe the NDP candidate will consider making his existence known to the people in my riding, but until then I don't see the point in voting.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Nova Scotia election results coming in and it's unsurprisingly swinging back and forth between Grits and Cons.

I really wish the older generation would just loving die or the youth would get more active in voting. It depresses me to no end when I see how many people vote for absolute weasels like the cons. Comes from growing up in Renfrew County, I guess, where nothing good is ever allowed to happen and people vote for anyone with a C in front of their name.

Like, how do people look at the way that conservstive provinces have been running poo poo into the ground and then say "more of that, please!"

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Arcsquad12 posted:

Like, how do people look at the way that conservstive provinces have been running poo poo into the ground and then say "more of that, please!"

Because they aren't. They aren't thinking about anything beyond their front yard, their pocketbook and whatever number is in their stock portfolio. There are a lot of people who are doing quite well under these governments and they don't care about anything else. They don't want the government touching their money or their asset values to help someone they don't know, like or care about.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Arcsquad12 posted:

by not looking any further. "Well, this poo poo sucks, but it was the best that could be done!"

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Cocaine Bear posted:

Is it illegal if I agree to strategically vote swap with someone in another riding then just draw a dick and balls on my ballot?

Nope. For the simple reason that how would it be? Even if you had a contract to so that contract would be extremely unenforceable.

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
THE SPEECH SUPPRESSOR

Remember: it's "antisemitic" to protest genocide as long as the targets are brown.

Arcsquad12 posted:

Nova Scotia election results coming in and it's unsurprisingly swinging back and forth between Grits and Cons.

It's only swinging in one direction. Global just called Tim Houston the next premier winner.

tagesschau fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Aug 18, 2021

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Arcsquad12 posted:

Unsurprisingly? Every single poll I saw had the Libs winning at least a minority government. Seems like a pretty big upset.

Edit: before anyone says it, yes I know that the polls are always bad for Canadian elections

Starks fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Aug 18, 2021

Kale
May 14, 2010

Hexigrammus posted:

Wait, this is D&D? poo poo, I think I'm lost.

Tempting, but...

Same, that motivated me enough to register for a mail-in ballot.

Hard to get excited about individual candidates when whipped votes, party discipline, and national leader campaigns work to homogenize everything and make the individuals in parliament irrelevant beyond the final tally. I'm sure though that if I'd continued working hard for the NDP and maneuvered my way in as a delegate to the national convention someone would have been interested in my opinions. As it is now, I receive little cards from my NDP MP with tick boxes next to questions like: "Do you agree with the other guy's plan to develop a new food source by grinding small children into paste or do you support Jagmeet's plan to give them all lollipops? Oh, and send us some money."

Part of the problem is reading too many climate change papers. The IPCC report is a literature review on 10 year old data and it was out of date before the first leak. What's coming down the pipe is going to be very interesting and all of these people seem as prepared to deal with it as a Republican governor facing a pandemic.

At least the wind shifted and we're not getting smoked out atm. Now if you'll excuse me I'm going to take a look at what Malm has to say about blowing up pipelines.

It's kind of worse for me than being concerned about a CPC PM's willingness to deal climate change at this stage of how I've come to see conservatism. The way that right wing conservatism seems to be trending and with the kind of rhetoric we started to see from Scheer and not to mention all the culture war poo poo conservatives are always on about 24/7 now I find the whole ideology deeply disturbing and sinister in modern times.

It just seems to be motivated by grievance and spite for all other forms of political ideology to the point where it's less a concern of whether there prepared or whether they choose to go full culture war and just deliberately act against it out of spite and malice and pass all sorts of weird laws to actively promote pollution to "own the libs". Conservatives are more than welcome to convince me otherwise with their campaigns and that there's anything more to their ideology and politics than "own the libs" narrow minded culture war bullshit thinking, but based on recent history, how conservatism has trended globally since the rise of Trump, Bolsonaro, Johnson etc. and how every conservative I know acts, talks and thinks I would sooner expect another blitz of "Grrrrrrrrrr JUSTIN TRUDEAU IS SATAN HIMSELF!"

The blithering anger and need to gently caress the other guy brand of politics just doesn't do it for me so much as identifying and solving our poo poo that's in plain sight to see right now.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
I'm voting for Elbowtitty McBlackface, love that guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

The Nova Scotia election upset is making me really nervous about the Federal now.