Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

Eric the Mauve posted:

I just popped over to r/valheim for the hell of it. Here's the current top post: My dreams of building a working canal has been ruined by this unbreakable mound of dirt

About half the top-page posts are "check out my awesome megabuild."

Speculating that the devs just want to take the money and run is silly, but I do feel like the game really really wants to be The New Minecraft and the devs' vision for it is "no no no this is definitely NOT MINECRAFT". Can't let players modify terrain as much as they like because (a) it makes the game too easy (definitely true, but who cares?) and (b) the realistic physics engine puts pretty severe limitations on what even high end hardware can handle, terrain mod-wise. They'd be better off ditching the physics and letting players go wild building cool poo poo. But that's probably not feasible at this stage and so we're probably talking about some future game we hope to get someday.

Valheim is a cool and fun game but I think a lot of the frustration is from the fact it wants to be Minecraft, but it can't and won't ever be Minecraft. That particular itch is going almost-but-not-quite scratched and it feels so close it makes you ache.

I 100% loathe Minecraft and every minute spent playing it is pure torture and I loved Valheim and spent hundreds of hours with my play group building things and having fun. Valheim doesn't want to be just Viking Minecraft, the devs have said so, and for a lot of people that is a good thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

The “big” thing I really felt was missing in regards to terrain modding and building was being able to manipulate water (and the things that can interact with water). Things like building a dock on dry land and then breaking a sea wall to fill it with water to crazy things like, I don’t know, a canal and lock system to bring your boat up and down a mountain for some reason.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

If I were to offer any "wants" for the direction of the game, I'd hope for some qualify of life modifications to reduce the tedium of "adventuring" post-Swamp. The amount of stuff you need to farm and consume on a constant basis is a lot. The amount of wood and stone and ore you need is a lot. You need to build multiple bases in multiple biomes, and sail between them, and combine items from multiple biomes to craft food, and constantly feed your fires to keep them lit. There's just a lot of micromanagement.

It'd be nice if you were able to make an "eternal" mead horn or serpent stew or whatever that gave you 75% of the benefits, but didn't run out, and needed some higher-tier materials to craft. Let me go run through content where I'm not at the cutting edge of power, but also not at 25 health and stamina.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Yeah, it would be nice if, say, artisan tables could automatically process and harvest lower-tier stuff like turnips and carrots 1:1. Say each planted carrot/turnip within it's radius dumps a fresh ingredient into a storage thing every so often without needing to be harvested.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

there should just be a higher tier hoe that can plant/harvest an entire area

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Eric the Mauve posted:

Speculating that the devs just want to take the money and run is silly, but I do feel like the game really really wants to be The New Minecraft and the devs' vision for it is "no no no this is definitely NOT MINECRAFT". Can't let players modify terrain as much as they like because (a) it makes the game too easy (definitely true, but who cares?) and (b) the realistic physics engine puts pretty severe limitations on what even high end hardware can handle, terrain mod-wise.

What? Have they ever said anything to indicate this? As far as I know, the issue is that it's very easy to make a simple heightmap to generate a world from, but much more intensive to start remembering modifications to that terrain, even more so if they get more complicated with water than "water line at Z level 0"

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
You don't "need" multiple bases in multiple biomes (besides plains farming for that food) but they certainly can help break into new gear faster and it can be a nice change of pace to put up a quick cabin somewhere new.

A Portal on a coastline is the bare minimum you need when you make landfall in a new area if you don't mind hauling new ores back home instead of refining most of it on site.

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

The rudest cat for the rudest jobs

Isn't part of the "orders" from Odin to wrest the land back into a usable form? When my wife and I played we ended up building small bases or outposts or whatever you want to call it as we needed them and after a while it did give the world a kind of lived in feel. A main town built around a discovered village in the meadows, some dwellings near coasts, bridges, roads, and buildings near discovered resources.

I don't know if that's the intended outcome or not but if you build your stuff organically and don't build a super-efficient "megahub" it does start to feel like you're taming the land.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

RudeCat posted:

Isn't part of the "orders" from Odin to wrest the land back into a usable form? When my wife and I played we ended up building small bases or outposts or whatever you want to call it as we needed them and after a while it did give the world a kind of lived in feel. A main town built around a discovered village in the meadows, some dwellings near coasts, bridges, roads, and buildings near discovered resources.

I don't know if that's the intended outcome or not but if you build your stuff organically and don't build a super-efficient "megahub" it does start to feel like you're taming the land.

I did like that part myself, especially heading to a new high level landmass with friends and building a defensible base and storage and crafting area, but if someone wanted to skip it all they really need is to lay down portals and carry a longboat in their pocket.

But forging on-site to upgrade your equipment is a lot faster and a lot easier then the first base you make and saves you the trip of forging it back home, you'll just have to bring some back later anyway to upgrade the forge at home.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

punishedkissinger posted:

The atgeirs (and sledges) can be used to reap barley/flax, but not the other planted items. It's kinda fun swinging around the atgeir like a scythe in a field.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
All I really want is for them to beef up the existing systems. Mistlands are cool and all, but the world is already huge and we have a good variety of biomes. Would be nice if there were more random landmarks in current biomes (like the trader or the draugr villages), more enemy variety, more gear to craft that promotes different playstyles. They are already beefing up variety in food and housing, so that's a start. Mountain biome for one needs a lot more to do.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

I'm pretty sure there's a mod that does this. I've never used it - I never felt the need to run a farming operation of that scale before, but I've seen reference to it in this thread, I think.

Koobze
Nov 4, 2000
I am also glad that this is not Minecraft, I bounced off that game hard and am fine with the restrictions on building in this game. I wouldn't mind if there was some creative mode that removed those restrictions (build as high as you want, dig as deep as you want etc) but I wouldn't use it. The world does need more work, having a more lived-in feel by scattering bases around is great, same with discovering old abandoned villages. I wish there were other vikings (friendly and unfriendly) - pipe dream would be the ability to make beds for different types of vikings who'd move in and farm or smelt for me. I think it's great when you are at the border between two biomes and the creatures spawn and fight each other, and I wish there was more variety within each biome - why are there no bears that hunt deer and the player? Just more non-player activity in the game would be great.

There's a lot of room for improvement for this game, and it could go in a lot of directions, which I think is why there's so many people projecting what they want out of it (including me) and then potentially getting annoyed when that's not delivered yet. Maybe they released too early - fleshing out the remaining biomes would have indeed made the game feel more complete. But then they wouldn't have needed to release into "early access" and could have just said "Here's 1.0 it's done" and walked away. The game's not done, and doesn't claim to be, which is why complaints about the game not being done yet seem silly to me.

I think that their best strategy would be to add some variety to what's there, fill out the remaining biomes, and trickle that out over some updates over the next year so that existing players have something to return to occasionally. In the meantime they should be working on some major new features as well, so that in a year or two they can release a huge update and call it 1.0 (or DLC) and then get people who are hesitant regarding "early access" to buy it, and maybe it'll have a revival where everyone's playing it again. It's hard to say if any other similar game will come out in the meantime that does a better job and steals their thunder. Like if some AAA studio made a VikingCraft game that so many people seem to want, that could very well take a lot of potential players from this game. In fact I hope that this does happen, as a gamer I want more good games and have very little allegiance to any specific game developers - if Valheim keeps improving it'll be worth supporting, but if something better comes out then that's even better.

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

Eric the Mauve posted:

I just popped over to r/valheim for the hell of it. Here's the current top post: My dreams of building a working canal has been ruined by this unbreakable mound of dirt

My canal went in just fine :smug:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_R1pkQxj-WU

I had to dredge the poo poo out of it so I wouldn't drag on the bottom and it was a huge PITA

Hakarne fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Aug 18, 2021

Rubberduke
Nov 24, 2015
My group of 4 dads working fulltime now has Valheim+ running on the server with increased drop rates for ore and some other raw materials. We are also able to just teleport with ores now, which really helps us a lot without really detracting from the whole gameplay experience. The vanilla game is just set up to be a little too tedious. Reducing that tedium has been a breath of fresh air for my interest in the game.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Rubberduke posted:

My group of 4 dads working fulltime now has Valheim+ running on the server with increased drop rates for ore and some other raw materials. We are also able to just teleport with ores now, which really helps us a lot without really detracting from the whole gameplay experience. The vanilla game is just set up to be a little too tedious. Reducing that tedium has been a breath of fresh air for my interest in the game.

I remember when the game was popular and I had a week off of work, so I spent a while playing it. A friend would mysteriously go offline and online a bunch and ended catching me up very quickly. Turned out he was mining until he couldn't carry anymore, spawning in his own world, putting the ore in a chest and logging back on to continue mining. Then he'd portal back, transfer it all over and begin smelting.

That group ended up splitting because they accused me of taking all the resources when I said "yo are you teleporting your ore?" (i was on the other side of the world from them). Valheim gets people weirdly heated. I just wanted to know so I could start doing it rather than make my 20th longboat trip :smith:

Blaise330
Aug 13, 2007

GOD'S FAVORITE CHAMPION

man that sounds so Stardew Valley

Lozareth
Jun 11, 2006

This mod does that and the size of the area is configurable: https://www.nexusmods.com/valheim/mods/527

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

As I've said before in this thread, the devs getting f--- you money is the best thing that could have happened. We have two options. Rush through content release to appease a small number of vocal minority (who will move on anyway in a week or two). Or listen to the actual fans of the game, who don't mind waiting a few more months for quality content.

I told a friend about a game, and he grinded through the content and got to the final boss in less than a week. Devs should not cater to people like him. Give us good content. Give us high quality content. The fact that they are expanding the team shows they are committed to the long term sustainability of the game. Why else would they work on boring code? Look at the terrain updates. They care about the game. Just give them time.

It'll be interesting to see the swarms of goons who have sworn off the game come back in droves when the devs release the updates. I can even see this game getting released for console. I don't remember the Minecraft community being half as toxic as some of the goons in this thread when it was in alpha, but they were different times then.

What are some QoL changes you'd like to see? I really wish they'd revamp farming. It's stupid to just sit there wasting time planting crops. Fishing is just plain bad.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Bioshuffle posted:

What are some QoL changes you'd like to see?

I'd love some kind of item filter thing, that lets me set certain things as "do not automatically pick up". Having to constantly clean my inventory of some useless bone fragments and dandelions and whatever gets pretty old.

boloney
May 29, 2021
My QoL list is basically just everything I've already modded, eg trashcan for items, drawing from nearby containers for crafting, bulk-add coal/metal to smelters, etc

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
On that note, i'd be absolutely fine with items on the ground despawning even if they're in my base. My warzone base that was nestled between plains, black forest, swamp and mountain (on the tinest bit of starter biome i could find) was constantly surrounded by stuff. Eventually it'd chug the poo poo out of the game.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Bioshuffle posted:

What are some QoL changes you'd like to see? I really wish they'd revamp farming. It's stupid to just sit there wasting time planting crops. Fishing is just plain bad.

Iron scraps you find in swamps via the wishbone could be improved by not being mostly underwater, causing them to not be obtainable, or worse causing people to drown trying to dig them out.

More randomly generated landmarks like stone circles and stone boat frames, more ruin types and enemy spawner locations, more dungeon variations, even more enemy types within a faction.

Take a look at the most popular player mods and make them base features in the game, such as extra inventory space for your worn items and potions, larger exploration radius in a boat, using equipment while in the water, improved UI and storage, less tedious farming, plantable berrys, being able to place supports in water or under objects easier and so on.

More ways to interact with the trader, such as him selling more consumable items to keep coins always useful, maybe he could sell a way to increase inventory space up to a limit.

Enemies could have strongholds that increase raid frequency and patrols on continents until they are cleared out.

Being able to build simple fish traps in rivers that don't look like you are just gaming the building system in a silly unintuitive way.

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

dogstile posted:

On that note, i'd be absolutely fine with items on the ground despawning even if they're in my base. My warzone base that was nestled between plains, black forest, swamp and mountain (on the tinest bit of starter biome i could find) was constantly surrounded by stuff. Eventually it'd chug the poo poo out of the game.

Wait. I have a pit that I dump everything into. Does this mean all of my items are still down there? I just assumed they would despawn after a certain point.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I believe the rule is anything inside the radius of a craft bench will stick around forever.

Not sure if tossing stuff into water is an exception to that rule, that's how I get rid of all my trash and it seems to work. But maybe the corner I do that in doesn't have a workbench.

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
I would like different types of bags that store different classes of items. So you could grab your foraging bag and grab mushrooms etc without worrying about filling your inventory with a bunch of troll hides

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

The rudest cat for the rudest jobs

Yeah I do the same thing with a river or while I'm sailing but it might just be because of the lack of benches.

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU

xzzy posted:

I believe the rule is anything inside the radius of a craft bench will stick around forever.

Not sure if tossing stuff into water is an exception to that rule, that's how I get rid of all my trash and it seems to work. But maybe the corner I do that in doesn't have a workbench.

For items outside of a radius, I believe it’s similar to plant spawns where it operates on a “real time” timer (not in game days passed)

No idea if entering the area resets this or not - would be interesting to see

Lozareth
Jun 11, 2006

Nordick posted:

I'd love some kind of item filter thing, that lets me set certain things as "do not automatically pick up". Having to constantly clean my inventory of some useless bone fragments and dandelions and whatever gets pretty old.

This mod does that: https://www.nexusmods.com/valheim/mods/116

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Making stuff like bone fragments specifically do something would be great. You always end up with a billion of those. Dandelions and whatever are annoying but nothing like that.

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer
The #1 thing I'd love to see is additional randomized landmarks for each biome. That's absolutely my favorite part of the whole game. I'd love more stuff that I could use as the base for a new structure, as well as more camps of mobs or even enemy settlements.

Really, I'm cool with whatever they do to the game save truly ruining it like we've seen with a few games. I want to see what their vision pans out to be, because what I saw so far really really really interests me and hooked me just like NMS did.

The only other thing I want is probably something that'd be best as a mod, but I'd love to see chests, mobs and crafting yield weapons with more random properties. I loving love loot and I love switching out gear to fit different play styles and man, that'd be totally awesome. But I also totally understand that it probably doesn't fit the game well, hence why it should probably just be a mod. Is it a mod??

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

bagmonkey posted:

The #1 thing I'd love to see is additional randomized landmarks for each biome. That's absolutely my favorite part of the whole game. I'd love more stuff that I could use as the base for a new structure, as well as more camps of mobs or even enemy settlements.

Really, I'm cool with whatever they do to the game save truly ruining it like we've seen with a few games. I want to see what their vision pans out to be, because what I saw so far really really really interests me and hooked me just like NMS did.

The only other thing I want is probably something that'd be best as a mod, but I'd love to see chests, mobs and crafting yield weapons with more random properties. I loving love loot and I love switching out gear to fit different play styles and man, that'd be totally awesome. But I also totally understand that it probably doesn't fit the game well, hence why it should probably just be a mod. Is it a mod??

https://valheim.thunderstore.io/package/RandyKnapp/EpicLoot/

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Yep, I went and looked it up after I asked and holy poo poo, there's a ton of mods that tie in with this and now I'm debating getting a server again, specifically to host a Valheim Epic Loot server with a bunch of extra mods

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

bagmonkey posted:

Yep, I went and looked it up after I asked and holy poo poo, there's a ton of mods that tie in with this and now I'm debating getting a server again, specifically to host a Valheim Epic Loot server with a bunch of extra mods

I’m running that and valheim plus as a dedicated server on my htpc. I was able to use r2modman to set them up on the dedicated server without much trouble. It’s actually still hosting our vanilla world too without issues, just on a different port.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

my #1 request is something that incentivizes you to have separate rooms for different purposes. thinking along the lines of a "comfort level", but a crafting level, cooking level, smelting level, farming level, etc. raise these to make a space more effective for those different tasks. i love being a home-body in valheim and would love to have more utility involved in designing my home.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
How does the epic loot mod feel to play around with? does it make the game's combat too easy or are there some difficulty increasing mods that make the stat bonuses not just overkill?

For bones and dandelions I think they just need to make sure every item has a reusable purpose, be it turning bones into minecraft style bonemeal you can spread to grow crops much faster, or dandelion tea for some minor stamina and health while building.

cams posted:

my #1 request is something that incentivizes you to have separate rooms for different purposes. thinking along the lines of a "comfort level", but a crafting level, cooking level, smelting level, farming level, etc. raise these to make a space more effective for those different tasks. i love being a home-body in valheim and would love to have more utility involved in designing my home.

I sorta like stuff cramped together in a small and narrow viking pit-house or long-house, but the main thing I want them to do (which mods already did) is increase the radius of comfort items so everything doesn't need to be stuck together in a tiny square radius and you no longer need to sit in that specific spot to hit maximum comfort.

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Aug 19, 2021

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

How does the epic loot mod feel to play around with? does it make the game's combat too easy or are there some difficulty increasing mods that make the stat bonuses not just overkill?

We edited the config from the default of only dropping known items to allow dropping any item in the monster’s loot table. This allowed them to drop antler picks before we killed the boss, which was fine with us.

We’re still in the black forest and they’re dropping leather armor, clubs, and wooden shields. The bonuses are reduction to weight, or some damage resistance, or a little bit of extra health.

We’re using some magic gear and some bronze gear. Eventually we’ll be able to break down the leather items and enchant our bronze gear, but we probably have to kill bosses or something for the materials.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Oh sweet, thanks. :cheers:

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Valheim VR is insanely impressive for a mod. God help you if you try playing in a built-up area with lots of objects though; if you thought the performance hit was noticeable in flatscreen, hoo boy - it's exponentially worse in VR! I've never seen so much reprojection before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lozareth
Jun 11, 2006

I've loved every moment of VHVR up until Bonemass. He's can't be hit with melee weapons in VR atm. He can still be cheesed with frost arrows but I hate to do that so I've put the game aside temporarily. I would skip him and use AMP Configurable to tell me where silver veins are but lox can't be hit with melee weapons from the front either so I'd be back in the same boat after the mountains. The author of the mod is still working on it and active in its Discord so hopefully it'll all be fixed eventually and the sooner the better since I love it and miss it.