Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

SteelMentor posted:

From my experiences on Tumblr and the very recent Boyfriend Dungeon drama then yes, there is a very vocal though hopefully not very large collection of idiots now in their 20's who regularly touch the clearly marked and labelled fire, then demand someone commit seppuku for them having touched it.
Oh I've been enjoying that game. What's the drama, exactly? Something to do with the optional Mom character, maybe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

BrianWilly posted:

Oh I've been enjoying that game. What's the drama, exactly? Something to do with the optional Mom character, maybe?
No, it's the antagonist, who is emotionally manipulative and stalkery. People wanted the content warning updated to reflect that, and so Kitfox Games did so. But then that wasn't enough for others, who want an option to remove the antagonist from the game entirely. Which is a little much to ask for a small indie dev, to rewrite their story/game progression because people can't handle a bad guy being a bad guy, in a way that is portrayed as bad, when there is a content warning and also a billion other games out there they can play.

This escalated to people harassing and sending hate messages/threats to the voice actor of the antagonist, claiming he "should've known better" than to... voice the role of an antagonist???? Because only evil people should voice evil people?????? I don't even understand the logic. he's a voice actor, it's not like he wrote the game, he just read the lines.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Ah, I see, it's 100% worse than what I've imagined!

(I kinda liked the stalker guy. If I had my way there'd be a way to end up dating him too :keke:)

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

The 7th Guest posted:

No, it's the antagonist, who is emotionally manipulative and stalkery. People wanted the content warning updated to reflect that, and so Kitfox Games did so. But then that wasn't enough for others, who want an option to remove the antagonist from the game entirely. Which is a little much to ask for a small indie dev, to rewrite their story/game progression because people can't handle a bad guy being a bad guy, in a way that is portrayed as bad, when there is a content warning and also a billion other games out there they can play.

This escalated to people harassing and sending hate messages/threats to the voice actor of the antagonist, claiming he "should've known better" than to... voice the role of an antagonist???? Because only evil people should voice evil people?????? I don't even understand the logic. he's a voice actor, it's not like he wrote the game, he just read the lines.

parasociality around voice actors has definitely exploded in recent years. sometimes it's cute like when VA's will read shitposts to their twitter followers or whatever, but i think the combination of their relatively minor celebrity + existing in a more "abstract" sense for their fans makes a lot of people way more eager to crucify them

then you get the occasional heinous creep like micgogna who helps the usual malcontents justify their aggression to themselves

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

The 7th Guest posted:

That reminds of, I think it was The Red Strings Club(?), where a chunk of tumblr got PISSED that a transphobic character deadnamed a trans character because that clearly meant the creator was transphobic and how dare they do that in their game.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

I remember running across some research on how content/trigger warnings often had absolutely no benefit, and while that seems fairly obvious the thing that really stuck out to me was that the concept of giving these warnings hadn't even originated in psychological research or therapeutic settings. The whole idea originated online, but it had enough of a veneer of therapeutic authenticity that people just kind of assumed it had some psychological backing.

In truth, though, it's as though someone took the "tag :nms: images" rule from here, applied it universally, and also decided that ":nms: images" meant any picture they personally didn't like. (Then got angry at the NYTimes front page.)

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

"sarah z" is trending on twitter and if you value your life you will not click on it

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

The 7th Guest posted:

"sarah z" is trending on twitter and if you value your life you will not click on it

:ohdear:

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!
I also feel like the whole thing is pretty overblown. I can see how people would be made uncomfortable or possibly triggered, and I don't want to downplay this, but it's not like Eric is a constant threat or you feel physically threatened by him.

The worst of it is right after he's introduced, but after that he kind of just shows up every now and then, everyone yells at him for sucking, and then you go back to smooching cuties.

There's a threat of physical violence later in the story, but it doesn't come from him.

In the end you defeat his monster and he apologizes for his behavior and says he's going to therapy

Neddy Seagoon posted:

That reminds of, I think it was The Red Strings Club(?), where a chunk of tumblr got PISSED that a transphobic character deadnamed a trans character because that clearly meant the creator was transphobic and how dare they do that in their game.

This was started by an article by Danielle Riendeau who does uh Waypoint stuff, she thought the whole setup was gross, and then did and interview with the devs where she walked back some of the stuff but still stuck by her overall point (She felt the transphobia of the character was out of left field, and the deadname was not just something that was dropped, but was like the answer to the final puzzle or whatever, it was a computer password).

You can read it here https://www.vice.com/en/article/wjp9pz/red-strings-club-intention-queer-art

Fits in with the Sarah Z video a little bit

jackofarcades fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Aug 18, 2021

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

i couldn't resist and clicked on it and so far i've only seen people complaining about the bad faith complaints about sarah zs vid, which also happen every time she releases a video

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Booky posted:

i couldn't resist and clicked on it and so far i've only seen people complaining about the bad faith complaints about sarah zs vid, which also happen every time she releases a video
looks like the algorithm's working better than it was an hour ago then, when the top messages were about how sarah z likes to mock queer creators and is obviously an anti

it just seemed to prove her point

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Booky posted:

I went to go click on it but I saw that "Magna Carta" was trending, and had to click on that instead. Given how much I've laughed over the last 10 minutes, I know I made the right choice.

EDIT:

The 7th Guest posted:

looks like the algorithm's working better than it was an hour ago then, when the top messages were about how sarah z likes to mock queer creators and is obviously an anti

The kneejerk hater tweets will always dominate the trend for the first couple of hours, because everyone else is watching the video first...

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Arcsquad12 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vHaI4xZ6XVQ

This video showed up I'm my feed and it made me laugh at how blatant and yet copout Disney is with representation.

this is incredibly good

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
Abrams’ quote on the dogshit “””respresentation””” in RoS is profoundly embarrassing, holy moly.

I thankfully didn’t even see anyone talk about that First Openly Gay Disney Character in Jungle Cruise, maybe people are finally learning to not promote that poo poo even if they’re making fun of it because it is beyond pathetic at this point.

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

speaking of sarah z, and im sure she touches on it in the video, is that it was insanely wild seeing angry Certain Kinds of people whenever she uploaded a video... those sorts basically said shes a pedophile sex cultist Evil Person who laughs at suicides and burns fan works for the heinous crimes of uh, thinking fan merch with the pink triangle was in poor taste or like, talking about bbc sherlock???? :psyduck:

people basically made stuff up about her to make her look like the worst human alive and then promptly sat in their echo spheres on twitter and repeated it over and over while going if you're not with us you're against us... they're completely disconnected from reality!

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

Ive already seen several people on twitter melting down and screaming that Sarah Z is an evil anti-anti-anti-anti-anti-anti-anti-anti-anti-anti-anti-anti-anti-anti-whatever because of the "I'm not a pro shipper or an anti, I am a tax paying woman" joke :discourse:

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack

LanceHunter posted:

I remember running across some research on how content/trigger warnings often had absolutely no benefit, and while that seems fairly obvious the thing that really stuck out to me was that the concept of giving these warnings hadn't even originated in psychological research or therapeutic settings. The whole idea originated online, but it had enough of a veneer of therapeutic authenticity that people just kind of assumed it had some psychological backing.

In truth, though, it's as though someone took the "tag :nms: images" rule from here, applied it universally, and also decided that ":nms: images" meant any picture they personally didn't like. (Then got angry at the NYTimes front page.)

From the abstract of the paper I think the methodology of the experiment (That is, having subjects read read passages from world literature with some subjects being provided trigger warnings beforehand and some not) overlooks one of the main proposed benefits of trigger warnings: Giving people forewarning of potentially sensitive subject matter so the reader/viewer/whatever can opt out of engaging with said content entirely. I know back in the days of Tumblr people often used common trigger warning tags alongside the site's filtering system to exclude specific material from their feeds.

That said: It's kind of an unfortunate thing that internet fandom kind of glommed onto trigger warnings the way it did as it ended up doing as it just sort of led to a lot of people appropriating mental health terminology and inadvertently stigmatizing the needs of people with PTSD and other related disorders by drawing attention to the fact that trigger warnings are specifically directed at folks with PTSD. That is not to say I think trigger warnings are an overall invalid concept, but I feel like if people are trying to be mindful of the needs of people with psychological conditions it's generally a better practice to not not draw unnecessary attention to the conditions people have. That's why I think including general content warnings for sensitive subject matter is a better approach than specifically labelling them as "trigger warnings". It achieves much the same results for people with specific disorders, but doesn't draw attention to itself as being an accommodation specifically for them - After all, I think everyone can appreciate some forewarning that a piece of media they're about to watch might include child murder, graphic scenes of a man pooping out his intestines and other such downer topics.

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

The 7th Guest posted:

honestly it might just be cause i've preemptively blocked most of them from the last time they started treating her like hitler 2 for something incredibly minor... i ended up finding a few cranks with this new vid tho :v:

i will Never forget the time a contingent of nuts started screaming that sarah z and lindsay e were evil queer hating child sex cultists and clearly supported the antis and blah blah blah for saying a pink triangle fan pin is kind of tacky at best... Never

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

Booky posted:

honestly it might just be cause i've preemptively blocked most of them from the last time they started treating her like hitler 2 for something incredibly minor... i ended up finding a few cranks with this new vid tho :v:

i will Never forget the time a contingent of nuts started screaming that sarah z and lindsay e were evil queer hating child sex cultists and clearly supported the antis and blah blah blah for saying a pink triangle fan pin is kind of tacky at best... Never

Speaking of which, Shannon Strucci is still getting harassment for that too

https://twitter.com/plentyofalcoves/status/1427833632337563651

Rockit
Feb 2, 2017

Hot take: Unless everyone managed to learn their lesson from when contra's vid caused people to be mobbed for the crime of being namesearched i don't see how the video having twitter screenshots doesn't make it a net negative even if (As i mostly guess) she's right about everything else.

Rockit fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Aug 18, 2021

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Pigbuster posted:

Abrams’ quote on the dogshit “””respresentation””” in RoS is profoundly embarrassing, holy moly.

I thankfully didn’t even see anyone talk about that First Openly Gay Disney Character in Jungle Cruise, maybe people are finally learning to not promote that poo poo even if they’re making fun of it because it is beyond pathetic at this point.

I saw like one article once on “Disney claims yet again new movie will feature its fist openly gay character. Whatever.” and that was it. People have gotten wise to it now, yes.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nD2RobR9bEA

This is a bit out there. Rimmy usually does let's plays or livestreaming his ARMA sessions but today he had this video out detailing the gently caress ups of this absolute moron brit in Afghanistan calling himself Lord Miles. In the process of making the video Rimmy and his friends might have actually saved an interpreters life by helping scrub his info off of the internet.

This Lord Miles fellow is a massive twat regardless.

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

"I am a tax paying adult" is really the second best way Sarah Z could've began that video with.

The best way was her deleting her Twitter, what a masterful pre-emptive strike.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Arcsquad12 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nD2RobR9bEA

This is a bit out there. Rimmy usually does let's plays or livestreaming his ARMA sessions but today he had this video out detailing the gently caress ups of this absolute moron brit in Afghanistan calling himself Lord Miles. In the process of making the video Rimmy and his friends might have actually saved an interpreters life by helping scrub his info off of the internet.

This Lord Miles fellow is a massive twat regardless.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

LanceHunter posted:

Maybe I'm just really dense, but it sounds like structuring the research in this manner makes it functionally inert. The subjects weren't thrown into test without knowing what they were going to be doing since they had to give informed consent, which means that they already knew exactly what they were going to do. Surely, if you're told beforehand that you will be reading literature that might trigger your PTSD that already serves as a trigger warning in and of itself. The difference between the control group and the experimental group seems nearly immaterial to me.

Plus, I think trigger warnings serve the dual purpose of steeling someone for the text they're about to read and dissuading someone from reading a text that might be triggering to them. The latter is acknowledged in the paper but isn't accounted for in the experiment itself, which seems like an oversight to me.

My scientific opinion on trigger warnings is that they should always be presented in the form of the violence warning from the start of Resident Evil 1.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
https://twitter.com/marysuewriter/status/1427891412054417408?s=19

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

Tweet is gone because Sarah Z deleted her account. What did it say?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Was something like "What a day, some Twitter intern had to write a blurb and everything. See you again in a few weeks".

Rockit
Feb 2, 2017

Jamie Faith posted:

Tweet is gone because Sarah Z deleted her account. What did it say?
I read all of them and it was either the "I'm trending lmao" or "Stop stanning and treat me like an objective historian. That's not what i said i am lmao."

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Was something like "What a day, some Twitter intern had to write a blurb and everything. See you again in a few weeks".

Ah I'm glad she'll be back. Sarah alongside Shaun are some of my favorite accounts to follow on the shitbird site

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

It's the pro-strat isn't it? Delete your account when dumbasses are going off, then reactivate when they've gotten bored.

The real big brain move would be to never reactivate.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Jamie Faith posted:

Speaking of which, Shannon Strucci is still getting harassment for that too

https://twitter.com/plentyofalcoves/status/1427833632337563651

Ok i don't get it. She made fun of a pair of socks and a pink triangle and people are treating her like Hitler over it?

Like there's literally a person in that QRT with "anti-harassment" in her bio yelling at Shannon for being anti-gay because she talked poo poo about socks

Why is this a thing

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

it's what the socks symbolise

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Jamie Faith posted:

Ah I'm glad she'll be back. Sarah alongside Shaun are some of my favorite accounts to follow on the shitbird site

It's funny how mad people get at Shaun's (correct) tweets.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Most of the Sarah Z video was in one ear and out the other for me because I cannot bring myself to be interested in this topic, but the pink triangle thing really stuck with me. Appropriating the pink triangle, an anti-gay emblem from the holocaust that was later reclaimed as an LGBTQ pride symbol, for your fanfic hang-ups is utterly deranged.

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.

New Super Metis posted:

it's what the socks symbolise

Warm feet?

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Maybe if I called it 'Interpretive Stabbing'...
It’s a case where you can trace every step that led someone to doing a thing (the antis essentially started life as a harassment campaign seeking to impose their standards on fanfic spaces, which eventually trended towards “harass queer and PoC creators for having a 3 year age gap and thus encouraging grooming and paedophelia”, so “we are being persecuted for being gay” is a thought one might start to have), but it’s still stunning that at no point did the thought of “okay wait do I actually want to directly compare this to genocide” stop following through and making merch for your online shipping wars faction.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

I mean, it is also some effective camouflage. Put a ton of pink triangles and rainbow flags next to your own group's weird emoji-logo causes the casual observer (or random showrunner who just saw a tweet) to think "okay, this is some kind of gay rights thing".

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

JordanKai posted:

Most of the Sarah Z video was in one ear and out the other for me because I cannot bring myself to be interested in this topic, but the pink triangle thing really stuck with me. Appropriating the pink triangle, an anti-gay emblem from the holocaust that was later reclaimed as an LGBTQ pride symbol, for your fanfic hang-ups is utterly deranged.

When she talks about the broader aspects of moral outrage and over identification with fictional works in (progressive) fandom culture , the video is pretty interesting. When she tries to dunk on the people who attacked her on twitter, the video is pretty bad. If she is that terrible with comebacks in a scripted video, it's probably a good thing she deleted twitter, because yikes. Big, "I am not even mad" energy.

edit: There was a whole rage of markers for different kind of prisoners:

e X fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Aug 18, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

i know the thread went over this the last time a sarah z video popped up but, the gently caress is an anti again