Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

packetmantis posted:

I miss when people would actually try to figure stuff out themselves instead of needing to be spoon-fed by the algorithm.
I have bad news for you about how long GameFAQs has been around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
I've played a bit of zomboid, only in B41, and man, it's loving hard. I usually survive like 24 hours and kill 2 zombies.

Also I'm kinda salty that I cooked a whole chicken at 350 for 30 minutes and it was "burnt". I don't think individual chicken breasts would be burnt at 30 minutes.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I actually first heard about the game because of videos by a YouTuber who also did a handful of RimWorld challenge run videos. I've been eyeing it for a couple weeks now, especially since I'm pretty burnt out on 7 Days to Die but want something else that'll scratch roughly the same itch.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013

Haifisch posted:

I have bad news for you about how long GameFAQs has been around.

At least there you can read it at your own pace instead of listening to some nasal douchebag take two hours to make one paragraph of information ad-friendly.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

packetmantis posted:

At least there you can read it at your own pace instead of listening to some nasal douchebag take two hours to make one paragraph of information ad-friendly.
Do you make a habit of your whole contribution to threads being snide drive-by posting, or are we special?

Edit: Is the Survival Guide on the PZ Wiki still up to date? I remember being extremely frustrated by the 7DtD wiki because it was impossible to tell what was still relevant information and what was months or years out of date.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Aug 18, 2021

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

wilderthanmild posted:

I've played a bit of zomboid, only in B41, and man, it's loving hard. I usually survive like 24 hours and kill 2 zombies.

Also I'm kinda salty that I cooked a whole chicken at 350 for 30 minutes and it was "burnt". I don't think individual chicken breasts would be burnt at 30 minutes.

maybe its celsius

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Seven Days to Die can officially go gently caress itself.

Spent a solid week (~30 days in game) working on a wonderful base, got some nice poo poo going, a farm and a lot of supplies and workbench/chemstation/furnace and some beautiful defenses that saw me through the latest blood moon without a single problem.

And then I decided I wanted to move the furnace to the other side of the room, and the game REALLY DIDN'T LIKE THAT.

I got to watch in horror as my entire base collapsed into rubble around me, destroying pretty much everything I owned aside from a handgun and some bullets weirdly enough. Everything else? Gone. Crushed, for no reason I can fathom.

What the loving hell? It's hardly the first bug I've run into in the game, but I was really starting to enjoy myself. :(

Apparently this particular bug is really common, too, a ton of reports of it happening over the last several years

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Aug 18, 2021

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013

girl dick energy posted:

Do you make a habit of your whole contribution to threads being snide drive-by posting, or are we special?

I post in this thread a bunch. Sorry you're a video walkthrough fan!

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

packetmantis posted:

I miss when people would actually try to figure stuff out themselves instead of needing to be spoon-fed by the algorithm.

I don’t exactly agree with you - I don’t care if someone doesn’t want to figure something out - I think they’re shorting themselves, but have your own fun - but so many games these days feel like they expect you to learn from everyone else online and balance around that. I like games that really let you figure out everything from only the game and maybe a manual. A lot of games make it really painful to go in cold.

I’m sure old games are to blame just as much but it feels different somehow nowadays. I’d rather get burned on a game by going in cold and missing how it sucks rather than obsessively watch streamers and youtubers and miss the wonder of discovering stuff on my own.

I’m even going to miss beta weekends for Icarus despite really wanting to try it because I don’t want to get to its “real” release and be completely used to all the mechanics already.

This argument goes on for another 40000 words about mmos and related games where people say “the real game starts at endgame.” If you don’t enjoy the ride why are you playing the gaaaameeeee :argh:

(But again, that’s me - play your own game and have your own fun.)

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
Good post imo.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Some people LIKE the community and shared knowledge aspect. I know I enjoy it, but it's a lot better if you can get in early on small games that go down that read because god drat it can really make you feel like you're part of things.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

GlyphGryph posted:

Some people LIKE the community and shared knowledge aspect. I know I enjoy it, but it's a lot better if you can get in early on small games that go down that read because god drat it can really make you feel like you're part of things.

I can get that too! I just don’t like that it’s a real struggle to go in cold on games these days. I get so frustrated the first time I have to look up something in a complex game and inevitably end up in a rabbit hole of finding out a whole bunch of underlying mechanics I didn’t know prior because they were on the wiki and woops now the mystery is gone and all I can see is the game’s algorithms.

I recognize it’s as much as personal thing as it is anything else but it’s a definite struggle to really learn on your own in some games if you want to go that route, especially when you see something get rebalanced and go “what the hell” only to find out that half of the players found a way to make it 10x better than however you were using it. Now you both know the exploit that you didn’t want to know and your old way isn’t as good.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Like just thinking: Highflert was a good very recent game that I felt like hit both things well, for me. I didn’t watch more than a few minutes of gameplay prior to launch. I got to go in cold, but it had a nice extensive manual and didn’t have too much that didn’t make sense and required reaching outside of the game.

Once I kind of got through that period of learning and discovery I was more than happy to engage with the community and learn what I missed and didn’t feel like I got “spoiled” on strategies and mechanics and things. Not all games are going to have that sort of vibe because it’s not easy to feel like you’re doing at least OK until you engage the community’s resources.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

There were still plenty of old games that did it well while also being more accessible, its true. I think pokemon was was my first experience with a game of the sort, but its also a game where none of that stuff actually matters to begin with unless you do want to be part of the community.

I think survival games tend to be a genre that goes very heavy in that direction though, just because they are complex and often in active development focusing on churning out content, and implementing discoverability is hard work most of their existing playerbases don't give a poo poo about so its easier just to let the wiki do the heavy lifting. You might get an introduction to stuff, but since that was made all these other more complex mechanics were introduced and, well.. its a lot easier to let someone else document it. And if you document it then you're going to be much less inclined to change it even if you should!

Exploration/puzzle games, obviously, go in the exact other direction. Plenty of games these days, in those genres especially, are still ALL ABOUT figuring it out yourself by playing it. Outer Wilds, Obra Din, Breath of the Wild, Opus Magnum, The Witness, all of them expect you to never look at an outside source of information. But survival games tend to be small teams making something with a very wide set of mechanics and a playerbase who sticks around for a long time...

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

I definitely agree with what you’re saying - I’m not sure I’d change that, because I love a lot of these games and their sometimes arcane/weird mechanics that beg for a Wiki. I guess I’m just bummed I can’t have my cake and eat it too wrt discovering and figuring it out all on my own with my friends but still having all the weird content these small teams produce.

I’m colored, too, by having 3/4 friends who are dutifully dedicated to not looking something up in a new game until we’re really stuck. That fourth friend popping in with “oh I saw this!” After we’ve been so careful about not exposing our group to that stuff gets real big “ugh cmon dude” vibes. Even though the community aspect is ignorable in general, that buddy makes it feel intrusive sometimes.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

girl dick energy posted:

Edit: Is the Survival Guide on the PZ Wiki still up to date? I remember being extremely frustrated by the 7DtD wiki because it was impossible to tell what was still relevant information and what was months or years out of date.

Everything's still relevant, just reviewed it. Note that you can continue in the same world when you die with a new character, at the day you died, and you might even come across your old body or zombie version to kill and get stuff out of. Unfortunately you don't keep skills (unless you use a mod), which can be... frustrating... especially when you eventually get complacent and die to a car crash or an unfortunate usage of time speed up (lmao, that's me).

But definitely use B41 IWBUMS and not B40. B41 is far superior. Graphics and clothes are far better, and obviously, the important thing is gathering all the different clothing types, finding mannequins in shops and bringing them back to base for your poor lonely survivor to dress up and talk to. Or... talk to.

I don't know if you think a map to know where you are and what's around is cheating or not. I figure if I'm someone working in the area I know something about the area. There is an absolutely excellent map here https://map.projectzomboid.com/

Some people love and some people hate the Life and Living TV shows and their timing. I'm the latter. I like mods that ad VHS tapes of the shows so I don't have to feel locked in place the first few weeks. Apparently they're adding those to the base game.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Cool, thanks. I heard to use B41, but didn't know which one.

packetmantis posted:

I post in this thread a bunch. Sorry you're a video walkthrough fan!
I'm actually not, I don't have the attention span for video walkthroughs, I'd rather just play for myself with a wiki open in another screen. But getting snide about there being other options for people to learn and play a game is the most pointlessly self-superior poo poo. Do you also whine about how people who use easier difficulty modes aren't Real Gamers?

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Aug 18, 2021

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

Verviticus posted:

maybe its celsius

If so I'm amazed because I think it still goes up to the normal 500ish degrees.

Also I really enjoyed that eating a burnt whole chicken made me sad, not the apocalypse going on around me, the chicken.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

GlyphGryph posted:

Seven Days to Die can officially go gently caress itself.
Things like that are half of why I burnt out on 7DtD. The other half being that the difficulty escalation of the blood moons as a single player ends up requiring a kind of basebuilding that I just don't find fun. Did wring a lot more fun out of it by playing nomadic with zombies on always-walk, but even that only got me like another ~20 hours, tops.

Edit: I mean, I still put like 200 hours into the game over two years, so it's not like I didn't get my money's worth, I'm just very ready to move on.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Aug 18, 2021

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Back in my day, we had to figure out the Konami code by randomly pressing buttons until we stumbled on the right sequence, and we liked it.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

wilderthanmild posted:

Also I really enjoyed that eating a burnt whole chicken made me sad, not the apocalypse going on around me, the chicken.

tbh this is extremely me though

Everything is hosed around you, but you know what, loving god drat the chicken's burnt gently caress that's it I'm done this is the ONE THING I was looking forward to and I loving BURNED IT now I am sad.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013

girl dick energy posted:

Do you also whine about how people who use easier difficulty modes aren't Real Gamers?

No, you jackass. I'm not the Great Satan because I don't like videos.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

packetmantis posted:

Don't be disingenuous. You're allowed to not like videos, that's not why I'm giving you poo poo. I'm giving you poo poo for looking down your nose at people who do.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

packetmantis posted:

You're being a weirdo about it though

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013

girl dick energy posted:

Don't be disingenuous. You're allowed to not like videos, that's not why I'm giving you poo poo. I'm giving you poo poo for looking down your nose at people who do.

And you're being a complete prick about something that doesn't matter at all, lmao.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

packetmantis posted:

being a complete prick about something that doesn't matter at all

packetmantis posted:

quote:

I've picked it up and while i kinda like it I also had to spend like, a few hours watching youtube videos to work out how the game actually works.

Pot, kettle, etc.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
i kinda wish games would just say like hey. you can figure all this poo poo out if you want to. but a lot of survival games have the trappings of clever games you figure out and then have utterly bizarre things that you couldn't learn in a million years

long dark was a game where it was really fun to die repeatedly trying to map stuff out and then later find actually good maps and basically beat the game. lots of games dont let you piece together enough by yourself unless you're lucky though

edit: that said the quality of info that you can get online is wildly variable. i wouldnt be caught dead watching a 9 minute video of some streamer showing me how to find a hidden box under a log or whatever the gently caress but i'll look crafting on a wiki or whatever

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

packetmantis posted:

Well, you see, after a couple of hours trying to figure out how to escape hordes, I wanted a couple of tips because I was clearly missing something. Please tell me how many hours I should spend trying to learn something before giving up, especially in a permadeath game? What's the arbitrary requirement? How much of my time should I waste before I go look up something that the game doesn't go out of its way to teach me because its still in development and nowhere near finished?

dogstile fucked around with this message at 10:06 on Aug 18, 2021

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
I absolutely love games that are designed so you never feel like you have to look stuff up even if you're stuck because there's something to give you hints or guide you towards figuring it out.

I can't remember which game it was but I have a vague memory of a dev that said of their soon-to-be-released game that they made certain things so obtuse or rare to find in order to slow down the whole community working together from figuring it out for at least a month or so...

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Yeah, if a game doesn't tell you how to do things, i've got no problem looking it up. Survival threads are an incredibly weird place to make the complaint, because most of the games don't get finished and never add an in game way to find out how to do poo poo.

Hell, the most successful one, minecraft, took almost a decade to give you an in game encyclopaedia.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Back in my day we had to dope our own semiconductors to begin assembling technology just to even play the game and we were grateful for the opportunity!

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

girl dick energy posted:

Things like that are half of why I burnt out on 7DtD. The other half being that the difficulty escalation of the blood moons as a single player ends up requiring a kind of basebuilding that I just don't find fun. Did wring a lot more fun out of it by playing nomadic with zombies on always-walk, but even that only got me like another ~20 hours, tops.

Edit: I mean, I still put like 200 hours into the game over two years, so it's not like I didn't get my money's worth, I'm just very ready to move on.

The worst part is that I want to keep playing but its just.... gently caress, I put so much work into that.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Aug 18, 2021

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

GlyphGryph posted:

The worst part is that I want to keep playing but its just.... gently caress, I put so much work into that.
I know it's not much, but you can toggle creative mode on and just give yourself the stuff back.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
Chipping in my 2cent on various topic:

7 days to die was great for me since I never enjoyed base building, and went full nomad. That travel and loot playstyle is great due to multiple ‘dungeon’ houses available everywhere for me to fully experience each of them without being tie down by a homebase. The merchant sells everything I ever needed and it seems much faster to obtain a vehicle via money than building one yourself.

Picking a random building to fortify for bloodmoon was fun since the house isn’t mine and watching the whole thing collapse is like fireworks to me. I don’t think I could or willing to rig deadly trap inside my homebase if I ever build one.

I recommend everyone to try playing nomad in 7dtd.

===============
I already said my opinion about Project Zomboid in the past. In regard to learning curve… I figure out everything in less than 30 mins?

I am pretty sure it’s due to me coming from CDDA, which is a better game in my opinion.

==============
I only played Green Hell in the older version, and it’s overall good.

My main complaint for this game is the fact that crafting storage containers takes early-mid game of effort to unlock due to the requirement of mud brick production. Can’t I have a simple box made of stick and leaves for me to store my poo poo?

The chest also took like a whole tree to make.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Nyaa posted:

I already said my opinion about Project Zomboid in the past. In regard to learning curve… I figure out everything in less than 30 mins?

I think the only thing I looked up for PZ is the Life and Living TV show schedule. It's just such a huge boost to skills, but it's also really boring to follow. I want to be out and about trying to get places and find things, not having my watch go off to let me know to get to a TV. Otherwise, I found PZ to be fairly self explanatory and/or I'd think, "oh, I should level this skill, let's think what I need to do for that...."

The first few weeks/months of a PZ play through are generally the best for me. Looting, sneaking, occasional fighting, oh poo poo moments, the satisfaction of finding a stocked grocery store on the, "this is how long I can feed myself" number... I do like the vastly increased number and variety of "scenes" they've made, that adds some variety to each play through. A scene is a particularly designed house or location that is adding story to the world. Maybe you come across an ambulance a bit off the road surrounded by some trees and you find a pile of clothing and then there's a rustling and two naked zombs come out of the trees at you. Maybe that house that was a "normal" house your previous play through was burned mostly down this one, or was boarded up by survivors (and you find them dead/reanimated inside). Maybe you find the left overs of a card game with bottles strewn across the floor and playing cards everywhere. Maybe you come across a law enforcement road block on a stretch of road.

What I'm really excited for is full multiplayer for B41. I very well may get a private server for it, but given my limited play times I'd probably want to find a group who'd also be cool for limited play times so as to not leave folks behind.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
The escaping from zombie hordes wasn't particularly apparent, the rest of it seems like it makes sense. The other thing is a few things that don't quite stand out, like being able to sterilise bandages by boiling water on them, but that's not as big of a deal.

Once I realised zombies would get "stuck" on windows and doors if I hugged a building, I was golden. I think I might look up the TV schedule as well, but that's about it.

REDjackeT
Sep 2, 2009

GlyphGryph posted:

Have you checked the save folder or files for previous version backups, assuming you're on windows. You can right click files or folders and go to properties and the previous versions tab. Stuff in there can be copied to another location/restored.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Doesn't 7d2d specifically go out of its way to avoid making any backups you might revert to?

REDjackeT
Sep 2, 2009

GlyphGryph posted:

Doesn't 7d2d specifically go out of its way to avoid making any backups you might revert to?

Why would it? I'm also not talking about the game itself having backups, I don't think it does and I doubt it's to stop save scumming, but the built in windows ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Well I checked but however thats supposed to work there's nothing. I didn't even know windows had that feature.