Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Asproigerosis posted:

Negative icu beds means they have patients in the hospital requiring critical care level that are in a waiting line to get onto the proper floor and are just on a lower level receiving substandard care until someone in the ICU dies and they get to take their spot.

woah woah dies?! no that doesn’t feel right, lets workshop this! what about ‘discharged without a pulse’?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable

apatheticman posted:

Can I use my visa rewards points to get upgraded to ICU class?

No that's peasant poo poo you get nothing.

But yes rich people immediately get in no questions asked. This is absolutely a thing and hospitals make it extremely clear when a VIP is there and they are to get front of the line for everything. Abbott would have 0 problem getting an icu bed, but it won't come to that anyway since he's getting top flight concierge treatment now and the best treatment is early intervention.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Jon Irenicus posted:

this is gonna be a new dent in my brain. why are they just sniffing around now?? vaccines for under 12 and under has been the primary concern millions of families! kids are dying right now and you didn't look at a loving calendar?

look man no one could have known that this could be a problem. when the vaccine makers said that they wouldn't have the children vaccine ready until 2022 everyone new that they were just saying that to be coy. opening up schools is the only possible thing you can do, there are literally no other options at all.

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

SEELCT * FROM table_name WHERE thread_id = ? ORDER BY post_date LIMIT 100000 OFFSET 50

This query will scan 100050 rows if an index on (thread_id, post_date) exists. What is on every other page does in fact matter.

There are some ways around this sort of pagination, but there are tradeoffs. It's hard to avoid if you want the ability to say "give me the 1709th page of this thread" for example.

In the forums, since posts can’t really appear or disappear, it would probably make more sense to index by (thread_id, post_ordinal) if one exists. That way a query could issue an index seek for the nth to nth + 40 posts and retrieve them without needing a scan of the 0…nth posts.

Of course, if you let posts appear or disappear, you need to re-key everything for that thread, which sucks.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
throw another city and state on the pile of near full ICUs, anchorage alaska: https://www.adn.com/alaska-news/anc...and-scrambling/

quote:

Alaska’s ICU system is maxed out — too many patients and not enough staffed beds, medical professionals from the state’s top doctor to floor nurses said this week.
Statewide, more than five times as many people are hospitalized with the virus now — 132 as of Monday — as there were in early July. COVID-related deaths are rising, too. One infectious disease doctor had three patients die in the space of a week recently -- one every day for three days.

As of Tuesday, there were just a handful of ICU beds available across the city, according to a municipal dashboard. A statewide hospital dashboard showed Anchorage’s three ICUs closed or near capacity.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
i'm sure it is fine that every ICU in the nation is simultaneously filling up. this doesn't seem like it is going to be a problem.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Asproigerosis posted:

But yes rich people immediately get in no questions asked. This is absolutely a thing and hospitals make it extremely clear when a VIP is there and they are to get front of the line for everything. Abbott would have 0 problem getting an icu bed, but it won't come to that anyway since he's getting top flight concierge treatment now and the best treatment is early intervention.

how rich is rich

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Going on vacation Thursday. I'll spread covid around Minnesota for 4 days.

Make are optional?!?!

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Shear Modulus posted:

how rich is rich

If you're asking, you can't afford it.

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013

Mr Hootington posted:

Going on vacation Thursday. I'll spread covid around Minnesota for 4 days.

Make are optional?!?!

Yeah, Walz's fatass isn't lifting a finger, he's treading on thin ice re: reelection. The mayor of my city just issued a 3 day long mask mandate. lol

Barry Soteriology
Mar 1, 2020
A hospital I worked in for a bit had a unit that I can only describe as being the donor wing. Hardwood floors throughout. Ever see the rooms in maternity? They're big because sometimes there's a lot of people needed for labor. The patient rooms in the donor wing were maternity sized, but furnished like a hotel suite.

slinkimalinki
Jan 17, 2010

Zokari posted:

better safe than sorry? um i think youll find that the data says.....

Is there some kind of Nate Elon convergence going on?

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

Tzen posted:

oof what supplier? try zoro, they shipped my poo poo off immediately

InternationalSafety up in Canada.

Zoro doesn't ship to Canada but does refer you to an ebay page lmao wtf

McNugget Buddy
Aug 14, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Asproigerosis posted:

Gonna lol when libs force FDA to approve early for kids and it turns out it permanently inhibits puberty or some poo poo.

If they said to extend the trial by several months and add more kids, that means they're trying to statistically water down some anomaly they found.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/07/26/us/politics/fda-covid-vaccine-trials-children.html

quote:

At the urging of federal regulators, two coronavirus vaccine makers are expanding the size of their clinical trials for children ages 5 to 11 — a precautionary measure designed to detect rare side effects including heart inflammation problems that turned up in vaccinated people younger than 30.

President Biden promised at a meeting in Ohio last week that emergency clearance for pediatric vaccines would come “soon,” but the White House has not been specific on the timeline. It was unclear whether expanding the studies will affect when vaccines could be authorized for children.

The Food and Drug Administration has indicated to Pfizer-BioNTech and Moderna that the size and scope of their pediatric studies, as initially envisioned, were inadequate to detect rare side effects. Those include myocarditis, an inflammation of the heart muscle, and pericarditis, inflammation of the lining around the heart, multiple people familiar with the trials said.

FDA forced to make decision: "Kids hearts exploding, or Kids with dementia"

Caseman
Mar 21, 2006

Atrocious Joe posted:

I haven't checked this thread in months, but it's frustrating to see everyone here still spreading anti-vax talking points

Please find more reputable sources.
https://twitter.com/carlzimmer/status/1408111643809169410?s=20

Anecdotal but I know nurses in three separate hospitals around here. Vaccinated patients in hospital are extremely rare and all have other conditions leading to their hospitalization. Vaccines keep you from getting sick enough to be hospitalized, all other things being equal. And that protection seems to stay strong longer than just infection.

We should just have roaming gangs sneak into chud houses and jab them in their sleep.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

Asproigerosis posted:

Wonder how many guards they'll have to start hiring if this becomes both common knowledge and a problem.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

WaryWarren posted:

Yeah, Walz's fatass isn't lifting a finger, he's treading on thin ice re: reelection. The mayor of my city just issued a 3 day long mask mandate. lol

I hope it isn't the city I am going to!

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

apatheticman posted:

Wonder how many guards they'll have to start hiring if this becomes both common knowledge and a problem.

lol zero. america is boot lickers

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

Question for any school teacher and administrators!

Today we finally committed to not send our kid back to their NYC public elementary school until fully vaccinated. However we're trying to decide between the following options:
-homeschool them until the vaccine becomes available
-constantly claim they've been exposed/have flu like symptoms and need to home quarantine until a remote option appears or the vaccine becomes available

NYC's public school system is taking the pandemic semi-seriously so quarantine after exposure is still required, making the second option sort of possible. However it will likely become fairly obvious what we're doing. The question is whether this would annoy the teacher or school administration?

My thought is that the teacher will likely be happy to have one less kid in their class right now. Also we intend to do everything by the book, so our kid won't be counted as truant which might be a concern for the school admin. Is there some other consideration I'm not seeing?

Homeschooling is a last resort, as we like our kid's school and would be unlikely to get back in if we did withdraw them. We'll definitely do it if forced to though.

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013

Mr Hootington posted:

I hope it isn't the city I am going to!

Nobody comes to this dump (Rochester) unless they're already sick (WORLDS BEST HOSPITAL1111)

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

negative ICU beds means patients need to share beds and if one of them is too big they have to lie on top

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Stereotype posted:

i'm sure it is fine that every ICU in the nation is simultaneously filling up. this doesn't seem like it is going to be a problem.

someone in a youtube comment sneered at one of my 7 month old comments that "icu beds are always full across the country" and lol lmao

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

WaryWarren posted:

Nobody comes to this dump (Rochester) unless they're already sick (WORLDS BEST HOSPITAL1111)

We thought about going there, but it has nothing of value.

osprey
Apr 18, 2021

:stare:

https://twitter.com/RonFilipkowski/status/1427785554805075971

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

mistermojo posted:

negative ICU beds means patients need to share beds and if one of them is too big they have to lie on top

When they're proned it seems like it would be easier to stack them.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

mistermojo posted:

this is how we breed covid immunity into the herd :getin:

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Nocturtle posted:

Today we finally committed to not send our kid back to their NYC public elementary school until fully vaccinated. However we're trying to decide between the following options:
-constantly claim they've been exposed/have flu like symptoms and need to home quarantine until a remote option appears or the vaccine becomes available

NYC's public school system is taking the pandemic semi-seriously so quarantine after exposure is still required, making the second option sort of possible. However it will likely become fairly obvious what we're doing. The question is whether this would annoy the teacher or school administration?

My thought is that the teacher will likely be happy to have one less kid in their class right now. Also we intend to do everything by the book, so our kid won't be counted as truant which might be a concern for the school admin. Is there some other consideration I'm not seeing?

Homeschooling is a last resort, as we like our kid's school and would be unlikely to get back in if we did withdraw them. We'll definitely do it if forced to though.

just get vaccinated

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

mod sassinator posted:

throw another city and state on the pile of near full ICUs, anchorage alaska: https://www.adn.com/alaska-news/anc...and-scrambling/

that just means they're low on bear nurses or Infirmed Care Ursidae

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
for real though do the second option because they’ll be forced to switch the whole thing to virtual like a week after it starts.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

silicone thrills posted:

When they're proned it seems like it would be easier to stack them.

face down rear end up I believe is the technical term

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

He's right

Mostly about the subjugation part.

On another note I made chef John's rice and beans.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVxASSr6B_Q

If you're looking for something to do with your rice and beans.

McNugget Buddy
Aug 14, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Koirhor posted:

face down rear end up I believe is the technical term

face down, rear end shown
that's the way I like to prone

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

corona familiar posted:

i did my best (one of the images were out of order in the album, and i tried to guess dates)

awesome job, keep this up!

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Caseman posted:

We should just have roaming gangs sneak into chud houses and jab them in their sleep.

since the US govt is too weak to order a lockdown, mandatory vaxxing and mandatory masking is the only way to get the pandemic anywhere near under control but we're refusing to do that too

canqued
Jan 18, 2020

Cackling at this as a Dr. Seuss magnifying glass centers over the shriveled remains of my Decorum going *pop* right out of existence.

LMAO BLOOD

BIG HORNY COW
Apr 11, 2003

mod sassinator posted:

Well looks like I'll have to postpone the blind drunk car accident I had planned for this week. That could have been bad!

amethystbliss
Jan 17, 2006

Nocturtle posted:

I think you're unlikely to get away with the second option. Usually in instances where students are chronically absent but do not have an IEP/504/other medical documentation with accommodations, administration gets involved and asks for documentation. I worked as a school district nurse the last few years and would be tasked with this sort of thing.

Stereotype posted:

for real though do the second option because they’ll be forced to switch the whole thing to virtual like a week after it starts.
Or it could be this? You could always try it and switch to homeschool if push comes to shove.

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

Stereotype posted:

just get vaccinated

If you know a severely nearsighted or supremely indifferent pharmacist willing to vaccinate an unusually small 12 year old then please let me know.

Knew I should have befriended local pharmacists early on in the pandemic, instead I posted on the internet.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

mod sassinator posted:

i'm going to smuggle a suitcase of squirrels into australia, lol

they're not poisonous at least!

No need, we have our own version of cute fuzzy squirrels

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caseman
Mar 21, 2006

Is there any reason to believe that kids are going to react badly to these vaccines? We jab kids with so much poo poo anyway what’s the difference?