Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

No need, we have our own version of cute fuzzy squirrels

Im not "scared" of spiders per say but I feel like it would be very disconcerting to have that biggun walk on me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ

Haha yes, spread and do your thing Delta

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Kreeblah posted:

It really does. Definitely not a DBA myself (I'm one of the weirdos who got a CS degree, and then went into management and got an MBA), but I have some serious respect for what they do. It probably helps that I do know enough to usually be able to call people out on poo poo not passing the sniff test.

Pretty much every DBA I've ever worked with has had a laundry list of stories of arguing with people that if said people want poo poo to not be completely terrible, they really need to do the non-trivial thing. And then not being listened to and getting paged at 4 AM because "the loving database is slow again and it's endangering our SLA commitments".

project managers often give 0 shits about database efficiency or code health until it’s a problem

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

Caseman posted:

Is there any reason to believe that kids are going to react badly to these vaccines? We jab kids with so much poo poo anyway what’s the difference?

The AAP says the 2 months of data we have is good enough given the risk of delta. They're probably the people most in the know, and are for sure the people who would be dealing with any fallout of the virus or vaccine. So I'm inclined to trust them over anyone else: https://downloads.aap.org/DOFA/AAP%...en_08_05_21.pdf

canqued
Jan 18, 2020
I;m thinking about thos Beanises

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

silicone thrills posted:

Im not "scared" of spiders per say but I feel like it would be very disconcerting to have that biggun walk on me.

Considering that fuzzy stuff on their legs alone can gently caress you up you should be disconcerted.

Their 1.6 inch fangs will pierce your skin but won't kill you, at least.

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Ammanas posted:

who cares if abbott tests positive. i want him to get really sick. hopefully die. testing positive is worthless without suffering

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Nocturtle posted:

If you know a severely nearsighted or supremely indifferent pharmacist willing to vaccinate an unusually small 12 year old then please let me know.

Knew I should have befriended local pharmacists early on in the pandemic, instead I posted on the internet.

lol yeah I was joking. it’s what the CDC recommends though despite it being impossible!

but yeah if the school administration arrogantly and stupidly tries to continue the semester in the face of dozens of deaths then you can just pull your kids out then. but if you pull them out now and the school does what most schools are doing (opening for a day or a week then going online when half the students end up quarantined, so they can say they tried but oh well don’t be mad at them) you probably won’t be able to reenroll them. don’t burn the bridge till you need to, but also don’t send your kids to the plague fields even if that means you have to lie.

they’re lying to you, you can lie back.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Ammanas posted:

who cares if abbott tests positive. i want him to get really sick. hopefully die. testing positive is worthless without suffering

I unironically hope every single member of US leadership gets really sick at this point.

Caseman
Mar 21, 2006

Ruggan posted:

project managers often give 0 shits about database efficiency or code health until it’s a problem

I guess I'm happy this is not limited to my company but it is unbelievably frustrating

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

Considering that fuzzy stuff on their legs alone can gently caress you up you should be disconcerted.

Their 1.6 inch fangs will pierce your skin but won't kill you, at least.

Hrm gonna need to pack a couple suitcases then. The first batch of squirrels won't do so well against the spiders it seems.

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013

mod sassinator posted:

throw another city and state on the pile of near full ICUs, anchorage alaska: https://www.adn.com/alaska-news/anc...and-scrambling/

Foo Fighters have two shows there right at the moment. gently caress Dave Ghoul (he lives off the dead - Kurt Cobain), he can't stay out of the limelight or it will kill him and his audience. lol

WrasslorMonkey
Mar 5, 2012

mycomancy posted:

I see you Scotland County, MO, you little loving liar.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
They do not give regeneron to asymptomatic people. It's possible that because he is a wealthy monster they gave it to him anyway, but between the fact he is a known pathological liar and that anything a Republican says is a lie until proven otherwise, and the fact he has murdered and maimed countless people by lying - specifically about the virus he now has - I am inclined to believe (and to hope) that he is in fact not asymptomatic and, like Trump was, is doing rather worse than his PR ghouls are saying.

Like Trump, I suspect he will survive because he is wealthy, and because we live in a poo poo world, I also suspect he will not have any long COVID complications.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
the worst part about the pandemic is all the people who i have discovered who are myopic sociopath idiots who are fine with mass death and won’t ever make any shared sacrifices under any circumstance

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
seems fine

https://www.cnn.com/2021/08/17/us/mississippi-teenager-dies-covid/index.html

Mississippi eighth grader dies a day after positive coronavirus test

quote:

A 13-year-old Mississippi girl has died just one day after testing positive for coronavirus, according to Smith County School District Superintendent Nick Hillman.

The girl wasn't feeling well last Thursday and her mother kept her home, Hillman said. The teenager tested positive Friday and was taken to a hospital.

According to Hillman, she died early Saturday while being airlifted to a Jackson-area hospital.
"It was just sort of a shocker to everyone," Hillman told CNN. "She was one of the best kids we ever had."
The girl was an eighth grader at Raleigh High School in the town of Raleigh, where she was an honor student and played in the band.

The school district began requiring masks four days after the start of school August 6. Tuesday, the school district reported 104 cases of Covid-19 among student and staff members, and 659 people are quarantining.
According to the National Center for Education Statistics, the school system has about 2,600 students.

Gov. Tate Reeves has said he is leaving mask policies to school districts. Reeves recently called the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention's updated mask guidance "foolish" and "harmful," saying "it has nothing to do with rational science" and that in his state, "we believe in freedom." Some schools in the state are mandating masks and others are not.

The Mississippi State Department of Health told CNN the 13-year-old is the fifth Covid-19-related pediatric death in the state since the pandemic began.
Cases in Mississippi have risen more than 40% in the past seven days compared to the prior seven-day period, according to data from Johns Hopkins University. The number of Covid-19-related deaths is up more than 75% in the same time frame.

Just 23% of Smith County residents are fully vaccinated, according to the state's Covid-19 dashboard.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.

Nocturtle posted:

Question for any school teacher and administrators!

Today we finally committed to not send our kid back to their NYC public elementary school until fully vaccinated. However we're trying to decide between the following options:
-homeschool them until the vaccine becomes available
-constantly claim they've been exposed/have flu like symptoms and need to home quarantine until a remote option appears or the vaccine becomes available

NYC's public school system is taking the pandemic semi-seriously so quarantine after exposure is still required, making the second option sort of possible. However it will likely become fairly obvious what we're doing. The question is whether this would annoy the teacher or school administration?

My thought is that the teacher will likely be happy to have one less kid in their class right now. Also we intend to do everything by the book, so our kid won't be counted as truant which might be a concern for the school admin. Is there some other consideration I'm not seeing?

Homeschooling is a last resort, as we like our kid's school and would be unlikely to get back in if we did withdraw them. We'll definitely do it if forced to though.

I teach in a public school in MO and no one is annoyed if kids don’t come. Just please try to make sure they’re not morons when they get back. Your school should hopefully have some kind of homeschooling counselor, so conference with them and just try to stay current on the curriculum.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

silicone thrills posted:

seems fine

horrible and pointless way to die, all for some dipshits' imagined freedumb

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

mod sassinator posted:

Hrm gonna need to pack a couple suitcases then. The first batch of squirrels won't do so well against the spiders it seems.

Ya think

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02RlfX3A7q4

Sorry to the arachnophobes in the thread.

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

amethystbliss posted:

I think you're unlikely to get away with the second option. Usually in instances where students are chronically absent but do not have an IEP/504/other medical documentation with accommodations, administration gets involved and asks for documentation. I worked as a school district nurse the last few years and would be tasked with this sort of thing.

Or it could be this? You could always try it and switch to homeschool if push comes to shove.

This is a useful perspective, thanks. My understanding is that kids are still supposed to quarantine if they have known COVID exposure outside of school, but I'm not sure how such an exposure would need to be documented. Should probably ask, but carefully so as not to give away or sneaky plan though!

NYC actually posted the various school quarantine requirements here. Some key parts:

quote:

If you do not feel better in 24-48 hours, contact your doctor.
Do not go to school or to work until you have been fever-free for at least 72 hours without the use of fever reducing drugs like Tylenol or ibuprofen.
Claim a fever on Mon+Tues means the problem is pushed back by a week.

quote:

In the event that there is a laboratory- confirmed case in a school, all students and teachers in that class are assumed close contacts and will be instructed to self-quarantine for 10 days since their last exposure to that case.
Sounds like they'll likely be going remote fairly often, esp with randomized school tests.

quote:

A school site will only close if there are 4 or more cases from 4 different classrooms within 7 days, with exposure traced to the school.
OTOH the school needs to be swarming with COVID before closing. Also what contact tracing.

quote:

Individuals who are considered fully vaccinated are not required to quarantine.
:magemage:

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Gladys is cracking under the pressure

https://www.tiktok.com/embed/6997574700343840001

Note North America, this is what press that actually challenges politicians looks like.

our press sucks too, this is only because she hosed up SO bad that they're willing to go after her.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

Ya think

crack ping that Australia can live with so many deadly and nasty critters... except for this nasty little bit of protein that floats through the air of their cities

Caseman
Mar 21, 2006

Stereotype posted:

the worst part about the pandemic is all the people who i have discovered who are myopic sociopath idiots who are fine with mass death and won’t ever make any shared sacrifices under any circumstance

my favorite crack ping was understanding that humanity is in fact too stupid to live and it will be our own stupidity and selfishness that causes us to slowly destroy ourselves
by watching it happen all around me in real time

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
australia would have no problem if nearly invisible little jellyfish were floating through the air of their cities... it would just be "crikey mate, the ole air jellies are bad today... oh well good on ya getting back to work. it'll be alright mates"

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Caseman posted:

my favorite crack ping was understanding that humanity is in fact too stupid to live and it will be our own stupidity and selfishness that causes us to slowly destroy ourselves
by watching it happen all around me in real time

Plagues wouldn't be a problem if we quarantined, which has been a thing for a long time.

A minority of people gently caress it up for the rest of us. They only fear violence and retribution and will not be told what to do. The only way to deal with them is to make them fear consequences or just make them face consequences. They will not look out for their fellow man because they're not even looking out for themselves.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

someone in a youtube comment sneered at one of my 7 month old comments that "icu beds are always full across the country" and lol lmao

you showed them!!!!

:smith:

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

crepeface posted:

our press sucks too, this is only because she hosed up SO bad that they're willing to go after her.

Murdoch press sucks of course but overall it's way better than North America. Back home we had 1,200 cases per day and the media was still scared to offend our CHO. And of course no one dares to say anything challenging to a US politician without letting them off the hook with an easy non-answer.

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

Stereotype posted:

lol yeah I was joking. it’s what the CDC recommends though despite it being impossible!

but yeah if the school administration arrogantly and stupidly tries to continue the semester in the face of dozens of deaths then you can just pull your kids out then. but if you pull them out now and the school does what most schools are doing (opening for a day or a week then going online when half the students end up quarantined, so they can say they tried but oh well don’t be mad at them) you probably won’t be able to reenroll them. don’t burn the bridge till you need to, but also don’t send your kids to the plague fields even if that means you have to lie.

This is good advice, thanks. In this case the school administration isn't really the problem, the full school reopening with no remote option is being driven by the idiot mayor of NYC and the DOE. Would like to keep a good relationship with the school and it's teachers, so hoping this kind of transparent malingering won't cause them trouble.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Stereotype posted:

really a very succinct summary

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

Ya think

I would pay many pesos for a molt of this guy 😍 I wonder if they shed those little claws as well.

Idiot Kicker
Jun 13, 2007
I got cocky after my 2nd shot and bought a college football ticket for October, the moral here is never listen to me predict anything ever

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.
I respect that you think you’re being transparent in your malingering, but your school has ([amount of students]x5) problems about to happen. As long as you are kind or at least polite, they will not reflect much on you parenting your kid.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

WaryWarren posted:

Yeah, Walz's fatass isn't lifting a finger, he's treading on thin ice re: reelection. The mayor of my city just issued a 3 day long mask mandate. lol

3 day mask mandate lol what in the everloving gently caress

Caseman
Mar 21, 2006

Ice Phisherman posted:

Plagues wouldn't be a problem if we quarantined, which has been a thing for a long time.

A minority of people gently caress it up for the rest of us. They only fear violence and retribution and will not be told what to do. The only way to deal with them is to make them fear consequences or just make them face consequences. They will not look out for their fellow man because they're not even looking out for themselves.

I think we may have hit the upper limit of what percentage of the population will get vaccinated without rigorous enforcement, the kind that the American government will absolutely never do. We may get to the point where hospitals have no choice but to stop treating patients that opted out of being vaccinated because they simply do not have the resources for it.

Who am I kidding it'll just be whoever has the most money

Jigsaw
Aug 14, 2008

silicone thrills posted:

seems fine

I remember hearing at one point that this kind of thing would happen during the Spanish flu. You'd get up and leave for school and come back later that day and someone who'd seemed fine that morning had died.

Jesus gently caress

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Ya think

I could kick this spider’s rear end, no contest

Idiot Kicker
Jun 13, 2007

Jigsaw posted:

I remember hearing at one point that this kind of thing would happen during the Spanish flu. You'd get up and leave for school and come back later that day and someone who'd seemed fine that morning had died.

Jesus gently caress

God drat. We had one girl pass in a car accident a little bit after graduation and it was a huge shock, imagine it becoming a regular thing.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

Idiot Kicker posted:

God drat. We had one girl pass in a car accident a little bit after graduation and it was a huge shock, imagine it becoming a regular thing.

Yeah but think... They could have similar trauma from wearing masks.

This Parade Sucks
Jul 30, 2006

:prepop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

amethystbliss
Jan 17, 2006

Nocturtle posted:

This is a useful perspective, thanks. My understanding is that kids are still supposed to quarantine if they have known COVID exposure outside of school, but I'm not sure how such an exposure would need to be documented. Should probably ask, but carefully so as not to give away or sneaky plan though!

NYC actually posted the various school quarantine requirements here. Some key parts:

Claim a fever on Mon+Tues means the problem is pushed back by a week.

Sounds like they'll likely be going remote fairly often, esp with randomized school tests.

OTOH the school needs to be swarming with COVID before closing. Also what contact tracing.

:magemage:
To clarify, they would be likely to take it at face value for a while but if your kid is out until vaccines come out in 2022 because of repeated external exposures and symptoms I think it will raise some red flags. In general, principals usually have a plan for excessive absences and when they are health related, they are told to bring the nurse in to help figure out what's up and see if an accommodation is needed. I was involved in one case where parents were claiming kid was out for every reason under the sun: cancer treatments, COVID, quarantines, etc but then refused to give documentation and it ended up being some awful CPS case and the kid never even had cancer or COVID. Schools work closely with the health departments and sometimes we had to verify the info parents told us if it was suspicious. It was usually parents trying to say their kid wasn't in quarantine when they definitely were.

You won't need documentation of exposures outside of school. I'm not sure what NYC's requirements are now, or even the CDCs new school guidelines because I quit, moved across the country, and am refusing to go back into the meatgrinder of parents screaming at me every single day, but we had a lot of kids in 24+ day quarantines if a parent tested positive. The child's 14 day quarantine began after parent's 10 day isolation period, and if another household member tested positive it just restarted the whole thing. Had some kids out for a month and a half with that formula but that may have changed.

I empathize with what you're going through. It's complete and utter bullshit that a remote option is not being offered in so many places. CT is the same so we're going to homeschool my 2nd grader until she can be vaccinated.