Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
Somehow, covid has returned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔

Ringo Roadagain posted:

so is there any recommendation on how long you should wait after your second shot before you get a booster?

official recommendation is 8 months, for whatever that's worth

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Idiot Kicker posted:

God drat. We had one girl pass in a car accident a little bit after graduation and it was a huge shock, imagine it becoming a regular thing.

between school shootings and now covid kids today don't even need to imagine lol

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/ConorHaloReach/status/1427707880405442573

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

Casey Finnigan posted:

official recommendation is 8 months, for whatever that's worth

this is what I was wondering. thanks

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

quote:

New Zealand was only able to do this because they were proactive in handling the pandemic. But this is not gonna work as a long-term solution, let's be honest here. You can't shut down a whole country every time someone tests positive. The economy's gonna take a hit.

If we banned entry from the get-go, maybe we had the chance. But even then, too many factors. Vietnam was once a model for handling the pandemic, but even they couldn't control delta.

quote:

I'm not saying what New Zealand's been doing is wrong. All Im saying is they could afford to go hard and early because they were proactive during the start of the pandemic, unlike this country i know of.

But realistically speaking, i don't think this strategy is viable long term. The single case they have is presumed to be delta which was locally transmitted. It has been transmitted to 5 other people so far. And with their protocol already as strict as it is, the fact that the virus broke through is alarming.

Sooner or later, the dam's gonna break wherein shutting down the whole country won't be viable any longer. Vietnam was doing so well until it didn't.

Maybe im just pessimistic. Hopefully im wrong.

love to just give up

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

LMFAO

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Casey Finnigan posted:

i feel like as soon as a person in power actually acknowledges the scale of the covid problem, the stock market is gonna crater. which is a fate worse than 1 million American deaths

it's going to be a panic. the shelves will be empty and it will be chaos, just like march 2020 but probably worse. buy stuff now because once the panic happens it is too late

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

lmao

McNugget Buddy
Aug 14, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ringo Roadagain posted:

so is there any recommendation on how long you should wait after your second shot before you get a booster?

CDC says it's safe to give a month after the second dose (for those who might not have had an immune response to the 2-dose series), but as far as "best time for optimum titers", who the hell knows. I'd think the longer the better.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/vaccines/recommendations/immuno.html

quote:

How long after getting my initial COVID-19 vaccines can I get an additional dose?

CDC recommends the additional dose of an mRNA COVID-19 vaccine be administered at least four weeks after a second dose of Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 vaccine or Moderna COVID-19 vaccine.

Someone posted a study in the old thread about immature t-cells and how it's best to wait a few months to boost them - I'll try and find it

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

McNugget Buddy posted:

CDC says it's safe to give a month after the second dose (for those who might not have had an immune response to the 2-dose series), but as far as "best time for optimum titers", who the hell knows. I'd think the longer the better.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/vaccines/recommendations/immuno.html

Someone posted a study in the old thread about immature t-cells and how it's best to wait a few months to boost them - I'll try and find it

thank you. definitely want to min-max this poo poo and not squander my shots. got my second shot only a little less than three months ago so I guess Ill wait a bit even though Im apparently eligible early now.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

U-DO Burger posted:

maybe someone should do something

what could we possibly do???

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

we tried tweeting to get vaccinated and we're all out of ideas

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
new zealand, even with all their paranoia and freak lockdown poo poo, still got 1 covid case. see! so much for their zero covid policy.

if NZ can't even contain it, then no way america can. we should do nothing instead

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Ringo Roadagain posted:

Antibodies will be nonoperational within six months. You should get your next booster within six months. We expect a trip report on your booster within six months.

We've had to endure much, you and I, but within the week, there will be mRNA, running your antibodies!

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Lol at the Jhonsons

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

dont get your booster too early, its wasteful, like using an elixer after taking scratch damage

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

"all the authority they need" except, yknow, an official mandate to point to, or, say, strong OSHA guidelines

atomize that pandemic response! individualize that responsibility! *employees* have all the authority they need to drive vaccination rates! right? probably! who cares, just say it and hope it does something!

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

gradenko_2000 posted:

love to just give up

americans desperate to not just be a doomed failed plague state have convinced themselves that it will happen everywhere. they hope it isn't us that is uniquely bad and doomed to live like this forever. but i dunno, it might be

McNugget Buddy
Aug 14, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ringo Roadagain posted:

thank you. definitely want to min-max this poo poo and not squander my shots. got my second shot only a little less than three months ago so I guess Ill wait a bit even though Im apparently eligible early now.

Here we go - keep in mind all of Israel got Pfizer

https://foreignpolicy.com/2021/07/30/booster-shot-coronavirus-covid-science/

quote:

But by July the Israeli miracle sobered up, revealing that fully vaccinated people were protected against severe disease and death but not necessarily against infection. In early July, the Ministry of Health announced effective immunity among the fully vaccinated had dropped to 64 percent, from the 95 percent level measured two months previously. Then, on July 17, the ministry reported a surge in breakthrough cases involving the delta variant. Most cases occurred in people either who had been fully vaccinated more than four months previously, indicating the waning immunity problem, or who were just completing their shots in July, too recently to be completely effective.

quote:

According to Israel, and to Pfizer, vaccine-induced immune response shifts from a powerful form replete with neutralizing antibodies drifting in the bloodstream to the quieter B cell memory type within about four months’ time after the second dose. Neutralizing antibody production declines, Pfizer says, about 6 percent per month, hitting 84 percent vaccine efficacy by month six. By eight months, it’s all about memory, which leaves the individuals highly vulnerable to infection.

In other words, the two-dose vaccinated individuals may have primed immune systems that can make neutralizing antibodies against SARS-CoV-2, but the enemy is coming at them in such massive numbers, and surging inside their bodies so rapidly, that some six to eight months after completing vaccinations, they may be unable to muster adequate defenses to prevent illness, even long-haul COVID-19.

quote:

All this is why Israel is starting a third round of national vaccination and why Pfizer wants the CDC and FDA to approve the same for the United States. According to data Pfizer presented to stock shareholders recently, the company estimated that a third booster shot had the potential to increase neutralization of the delta variant by up to a hundredfold, compared with before the third dose.

It also appears that the United States may have blundered by setting the time interval between the first two doses at 21 days—a decision made by the CDC and FDA under the Trump administration. For reasons having less to do with science than with the rush to get as many British at least partially protected as rapidly as possible, Boris Johnson’s government chose a far longer time interval between doses—months. And that may explain why the delta variant’s dire impact seems to be reversing in the U.K., with daily incidence of new cases dropping rapidly. Plotkin, the vaccine inventor, says longer times between jabs—perhaps six months—give the immune system time to settle into its lulled memory status before getting another jolt of fake infection (which, after all, is what a vaccine is), prompting the manufacture of neutralizing antibodies. That length-of-interval issue has arisen with other vaccines, he says, consistently showing months, not days, are required between doses.

Seems like everything starts going to poo poo 4 months after the second dose

McNugget Buddy fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Aug 18, 2021

coke
Jul 12, 2009

gradenko_2000 posted:

love to just give up

lol gently caress them for accepting the alternative of letting people die

Casey Finnigan posted:

new zealand, even with all their paranoia and freak lockdown poo poo, still got 1 covid case. see! so much for their zero covid policy.

if NZ can't even contain it, then no way america can. we should do nothing instead

love this argument since they are assuming the US with the money printing press that can spend trillions on wars and have the most powerful military on this planet can not pull off what a tiny country is doing and would rather let more than half a million people die

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

McNugget Buddy posted:

Seems like everything starts going to poo poo 4 months after the second dose

It's a good thing there isn't any segment of critical life-saving workers that all got their doses eight months ago and who we need to not get sick in the next month.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

coke posted:

lol gently caress them for accepting the alternative of letting people die

we aren't letting them die! there is nothing we can do to prevent their deaths! we are doing lots of things for safety. so many things. we are telling people to get vaccinated for instance. also we've told people to wash their hands! and we are making sure that kids are 6 3ft away from each other in schools. don't you remember flatten the curve!? so much stuff.

clearly there is no possible alternative. any nations that prove that actually we could have done something and our inaction and selfishness has resulted in the deaths of hundreds of thousands of people, some of whom were our own close family, are actually just on the road to failure.

otherwise we would be pretty horrible people huh!?

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
america will invade new zealand in order to forcibly infect its population with covid

McNugget Buddy
Aug 14, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The Oldest Man posted:

It's a good thing there isn't any segment of critical life-saving workers that all got their doses eight months ago and who we need to not get sick in the next month.

If we would have just boosted everyone at the 6-month mark, we would have already had all the health care workers immune to Delta and ready to roll

Instead the White House paraded Fauci out to go "what, do you think we're made of money - of course no one needs boosters!" and now there's no hope for anything

Austerity!

Zisky
May 6, 2003

PM me and I will show you my tits
My wife's right at 8 months and ofc has to do more nursing home site visits since covid is over.

Guess I'm back to good ol crippling anxiety whenever she goes.

We bailed on getting the 3rd shot the other day but hoping to do it by the end of the week.

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/GregAbbott_TX/status/1427774772264439813
lol love living in this cracker demon nation hellworld 3.0

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Casey Finnigan posted:

america will invade new zealand in order to forcibly infect its population with covid

"How dare they making us look like fools!"

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

McNugget Buddy
Aug 14, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tzen posted:

Given what I just linked to regarding waning immunity, this brings up a good case study:

https://www.kvue.com/article/news/health/coronavirus/texas-governor-greg-abbott-vaccine-covid/269-6e77ee15-7b2a-4ea1-9cc9-9867f458d065

quote:

AUSTIN, Texas — Texas Gov. Greg Abbott and other top state health officials received the COVID-19 vaccine on live TV Tuesday in an effort to show that it's "safe and easy."

He was vaccinated as the state receives hundreds of thousands of doses over the span of a couple of weeks.

Abbott got the shot along with Texas Department of State Health Services Commissioner John Hellerstedt and other top health officials. They received the vaccine at Dell Seton Medical Center in Austin on Tuesday, Dec. 22. KVUE streamed their vaccine injections on KVUE's YouTube channel.

The governor's office confirmed they received the Pfizer vaccine.

Abbott's second dose was in January

Realllllly curious about when he got the booster. If he got a 3rd shot over a month ago (which is what he would need to have max titers against Delta), that's a hell of a goddamn scandal

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

McNugget Buddy posted:

Realllllly curious about when he got the booster. If he got a 3rd shot over a month ago (which is what he would need to have max titers against Delta), that's a hell of a goddamn scandal

actualy nobdy cares at all. :tipshat:

Syncopation
Feb 21, 2020

Tzen posted:

https://twitter.com/AbbottCampaign/status/1427422628248227841

lmao

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
https://twitter.com/3AW693/status/1427805195954577416?s=20

...sex workers are allowed to operate during lockdown?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
LOL if Abbott’s bungling exposes the top secret plan that everyone in government decided a month ago to get third shots but they agreed to keep it secret

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/NoLieWithBTC/status/1427812904863154181?s=20

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

crepeface posted:

A wise man once told me

“Hoes gotta eat too”

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

mod sassinator posted:

what in the gently caress is biden going to do when 95% of ICUs are full period.

will he even show his face on TV?

(comedy option he will be on the vent too with a breakthrough case by that point)

vote! vaccinate!

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

crepeface posted:

Makes sense, liquor stores over here were explicitly labeled as essential businesses.

E: And weed

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Antibodies will be nonoperational within six months. You should get your next booster within six months. We expect a trip report on your booster within six months.

We've had to endure much, you and I, but within the week, there will be mRNA, running your antibodies!

asymptomatic old men.. are the future!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
I say time your third shot so that you have maximum protection over the coming winter surge, it’s gonna be a doozy