Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which should I play as for the Generals Challenge? [Pick 3]
This poll is closed.
Laser 60 14.74%
Air Power 34 8.35%
Super Weapons 49 12.04%
Tanks 26 6.39%
Infantry 39 9.58%
Nuclear Power 68 16.71%
Toxin 48 11.79%
Stealth 42 10.32%
Explosives 41 10.07%
Total: 189 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

GhostStalker posted:

There’s just something about driving house sized masses of gently caress YOU.

They dont even tear up the pavement! Driving down to work, blaring your "propaganda" of the day.

Golden.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Can't have torn up pavement if it reconstitutes itself due to the sheer power of suggestion

Grammarchist
Jan 28, 2013

GhostStalker posted:

There’s just something about driving house sized masses of gently caress YOU.

This is now my head-canon for what the propaganda towers foisted on the double-barreled, nuclear-armed tanks are blaring non-stop.

UED Special Ops
Oct 21, 2008
Grimey Drawer

Asehujiko posted:

I'd consider the Overlord(and Mammoth/Apocalypse) to be even more outdated than the Battlemaster, what with it being a variation of the Maus* and all.

*teeeechnically all the c&c heavy tanks are based off the Flakpanzer Maus that never got beyond concept sketches since they all have symmetrical gun layouts as opposed to two differently sized ones like the Maus prototype that was actually built.

Heretic. Nothing is more high tech then a massive high profile ultra expensive and slow moving tank with a dedicated engineering crew and hit or miss anti-infantry/air rockets. Nothing I say! :commissar:

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
China 04: Broken Alliances

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B1T0D4A815U

With the GLA cells in mainland China destroyed, reports have surfaced that they have been busy building a toxin factory in the Tanggula Mountains in Tibet. Due to its proximity to the Yangtze river, a napalm-based attack must be used in order to prevent any major spills that could potential harm or kill millions of Chinese people.

I don't know if I could point to a specific spot to accurately locate the battlefield at play.

Objective: Destroy the captured Toxin Factory

Author's note: A nice mission to introduce the Hacker, and a fairly simple objective. A good breather mission, if you will.

Hacker
RANGE: Short
ARMOR: Human
WEAPON: Laptop
COST: 625

While the enemy prepares for hardened soldiers, it is the Hacker who may deliver the most important strike. When the Hacker gets within range of an enemy structure, he can set up his satellite uplink to neutralize the structure and all of its dependent units and structures. In the rear of your own base, Hackers can hack into the world economy through the Internet to drain resources from it.

Author's Note: Useful in numbers, hidden, and promoted. They cannot be used to generate money within buildings, thus making them vulnerable at all times.

Cash Hack I
FACTION: China
COST: 1 General Point
PREREQUISITE: Rank 3
PURPOSE: Steal funds directly from an enemy Supply Center/Stash.

Ability to steal money from enemy Supply Centers.

Author's Note: Cash Hack 1 really isn't worthwhile, only being able to steal 1000 credit, when you could be getting the ability to repair vehicles for free, veteran Red Guards, or Cluster Mines.

Cash Hack II
COST: 2 General Points

Same as Rank 1, the rank 2 ability steals 2000 credits instead of 1000.

Author's Note: Investing 2 points for a whopping 2000 credits... did I mention you need Line of Sight on the Supply Center as well?

Aftermath:

With the Toxin Factory destroyed (along with most of its contents), it is finally time to strike back at the GLA forces outside of China's lands.

Jobbo_Fett fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Aug 18, 2021

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

I'm 10s into the video and approve whole heartedly with your opening move.

E: yup, that went as expected. Of all three factions, I think this just demonstrated why I think China got the strongest infinite income generator. You can even scatter them about to be less vulnerable to a single strike.

FoolyCharged fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Aug 17, 2021

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
Ah, that classic sight from C&C Generals-era multiplayer matches - the Chinese base filled wall-to-wall with sitting hackers, horribly vulnerable to airstrikes or air-dropped General powers.

Generals has a surprising number of neat interactions, and one of them is that the infantry carrying the launchers in a GLA stinger site are actually infantry - the site can be supressed by anti-infantry attacks and weapons, rendering it useless for a while.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Loxbourne posted:

Ah, that classic sight from C&C Generals-era multiplayer matches - the Chinese base filled wall-to-wall with sitting hackers, horribly vulnerable to airstrikes or air-dropped General powers.

Generals has a surprising number of neat interactions, and one of them is that the infantry carrying the launchers in a GLA stinger site are actually infantry - the site can be supressed by anti-infantry attacks and weapons, rendering it useless for a while.

We see this way more in effect during the GLA campaign, and the USA campaign.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Loxbourne posted:

That's why you hide them in the woods and scatter them around. I'm really surprised we didn't see the stinger site thing. You'd thing the gattling tank should have done it.

Vauron
Aug 7, 2016

Take your stance
I will give you one fair chance
So let's make this dance a bloody masquerade
Middle Kingdom is a term for China. Although, perhaps 'Central' would better communicate the sentiment that China is the most important place in the world, which everything else revolves around.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Vauron posted:

Middle Kingdom is a term for China. Although, perhaps 'Central' would better communicate the sentiment that China is the most important place in the world, which everything else revolves around.

Ahhhh, okay.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Cluster Mines
COST: 2 General Points

Same as Rank 1, the rank 2 ability steals 2000 credits instead of 1000.

Author's Note: Investing 2 points for a whopping 2000 credits... did I mention you need Line of Sight on the Supply Center as well?

Wrong power name.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

FoolyCharged posted:

That's why you hide them in the woods and scatter them around. I'm really surprised we didn't see the stinger site thing. You'd thing the gattling tank should have done it.

Do this right and they're nice early warning signals of where your enemy is too if one gets attacked.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.
You're really banging these episodes out quick Jobbo!

Loxbourne posted:

The Chinese firestorm mechanic is especially good at clowning on stinger sites.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
Speaking of neat interactions, it's actually the guys within the Stinger Sites who are responsible for the Stinger Site's ability to detect stealth units. Kill all of them and it can't detect stealthed units until they start respawning naturally.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

About the Gatling tank spin up, you can tell when they do spin up because they will quip "switching into high gear!" when they get going.

Also, this mission played a lot differently when I was younger. Mostly because I either didn't know the hacker stole money, or didn't notice they were available. If you ignore hackers in this mission, nothing really changes, because you still have the oil derricks, and since this is a no-build mission the GLA is not that aggressive. Also, again, since they also don't use scorpion tanks, then you can just do a mixed dragon/gatling tank group and finish the mission.

Also to confirm this, the UN crates will only give money.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

You also have that supply depot exposed on the edge of their main base for black lotus/(unpicked general skill) shenanigans if you want income.

mr_stibbons
Aug 18, 2019
Yeah, this is such a nothing mission. It's structured like a baseless commando mission, but then they just give you a base and ways to ramp your economy for no good reason. It feels like this should either a) be the first mission in the campaign, to justify sticking you with just infantry and a commando for a while, and have the GLA attack you or b) not give you a barracks and be a proper commando mission.

It's a bit of a shame. Black lotus is a pretty cool unit, and I'd like to see you show her off, but both times she shows up you can just deathball and ignore her tricks.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

also the hackers can't be mining bitcoin because they are making more money as they go along

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Space Kablooey posted:

also the hackers can't be mining bitcoin because they are making more money as they go along

Or at all for that matter.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Space Kablooey posted:

Wrong power name.

:doh: thanks!

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Groetgaffel posted:

You're really banging these episodes out quick Jobbo!

The Chinese firestorm mechanic is especially good at clowning on stinger sites.

Generals is a kinda quick game and I found myself having recorded all three campaigns in like 5 days. Then my roommate was gone so I had plenty of time to record. I think I'm missing the last 2 GLA missions and the USA campaign to commentate and I'll be set for Zero Hour.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

mr_stibbons posted:

It's a bit of a shame. Black lotus is a pretty cool unit, and I'd like to see you show her off, but both times she shows up you can just deathball and ignore her tricks.

She got some action in the last mission where she locked down a unit, and she'll have a little bit more to show in a later episode, but otherwise I've never really been sold on having her in any composition I'd want to fight with.

General Calculus
Aug 2, 2014
I find it hilarious the implication of the hackers being that the Chinese war machine is funded by stealing money off the internet

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Hackers in Generals is one of those things that's really easy to just miss or think it must be more limited than what it says but no, you really do want just a base full of them.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Jobbo_Fett posted:

She got some action in the last mission where she locked down a unit, and she'll have a little bit more to show in a later episode, but otherwise I've never really been sold on having her in any composition I'd want to fight with.

Her skill you haven't used yet is a pretty solid cash cow if you leave an enemy gathering point inside your turf. Not something you would ever do in multi obviously, but in single player it's handy. She's not really a combat unit, she can cap buildings fast enough that you can grab a production structure to help reinforce your push with their stuff if that's your style.

I've noticed you don't really do a lot of that though, which is funny because a lot of the enemy bases have strong external defenses but nothing inside those. It's really easy to sneak some basic infantry inside and then just chew their base from the inside out without ever going through those defenses. That was always my go to in the campaign.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

FoolyCharged posted:

Her skill you haven't used yet is a pretty solid cash cow if you leave an enemy gathering point inside your turf. Not something you would ever do in multi obviously, but in single player it's handy. She's not really a combat unit, she can cap buildings fast enough that you can grab a production structure to help reinforce your push with their stuff if that's your style.

I've noticed you don't really do a lot of that though, which is funny because a lot of the enemy bases have strong external defenses but nothing inside those. It's really easy to sneak some basic infantry inside and then just chew their base from the inside out without ever going through those defenses. That was always my go to in the campaign.

On Brutal?

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Jobbo_Fett posted:

On Brutal?

Yeah, less so for the Chinese, but the other two factions have tools that are easily abused with anything that gives you Los into their base like the mine drop. I feel like I'm already flirting the spoiler policy going into that much detail so I won't elaborate further.

FoolyCharged fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Aug 18, 2021

UED Special Ops
Oct 21, 2008
Grimey Drawer
Four for four now with your forces being clowned on in the mission intro, although at least this one was "just" a pair of MIGs being shot down.

mr_stibbons posted:

Yeah, this is such a nothing mission. It's structured like a baseless commando mission, but then they just give you a base and ways to ramp your economy for no good reason. It feels like this should either a) be the first mission in the campaign, to justify sticking you with just infantry and a commando for a while, and have the GLA attack you or b) not give you a barracks and be a proper commando mission.

100% agreed, after the steady escalation of the three previous missions, this one is incredibly laid back and super easy and feels out of place difficulty-wise. Another really simple way to up the challenge would be to put a generous time limit on the mission before say, the GLA panic enough to dump the toxins in the river. Instead we just have to wait for the air strike at the end... :doh: Honestly the mission even feels like originally it was going to be a legit commando-style mission due to the volume of reinforcements you get, and that would have been a great way to show off Black Lotus's abilities, like disabling the Toxic Tractor to allow your small number of forces to advance, etc.

Least the mission shows off well how incredibly busted the Hacker is. The endless tick of your credits going up becomes background noise after long enough.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Space Kablooey posted:

They're not *mining* bitcoin, they're running ponzis and exit scams with it.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

It's perfectly possible to make money mining bitcoin, as long as you use other people's hardware and electricity that you are in no way paying for to do it

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

Vauron posted:

The term's origin is just a literal translation of the Chinese for "China": 中国, with the characters meaning "middle/center" and "kingdom/country" respectively.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

The Lone Badger posted:

They're not *mining* bitcoin, they're running ponzis and exit scams with it.

They’re creating NFTs.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

UED Special Ops posted:

Four for four now with your forces being clowned on in the mission intro, although at least this one was "just" a pair of MIGs being shot down.

I feel this one was a lot more tame than earlier missions though. The GLA having some AA missiles would've actually been a good introduction to the structure - if it hadn't shown up last mission. But as we've noticed, pacing isn't Generals' strong point.

Mighty Steed
Apr 16, 2005
Nice horsey
The hackers are in fact turning out niche erotic e-books for the Kindle store.

UED Special Ops
Oct 21, 2008
Grimey Drawer

Veloxyll posted:

I feel this one was a lot more tame than earlier missions though. The GLA having some AA missiles would've actually been a good introduction to the structure - if it hadn't shown up last mission. But as we've noticed, pacing isn't Generals' strong point.

Fair, would barely count this one tbh, but count in my book it does, JUST. And yeah, this would have been a solid intro to the Stinger Sites and probably would have slotted in better as mission 2 or 3 difficulty-wise. That way the game shows off the MIGs firestorm ability from their missiles in the ending cutscene, and then next mission get to actually build and use them yourself. Would be a better intro to Black Lotus as well, as at least here she would actually be useful for knocking out enemy vehicles, rapidly capturing buildings, stealing money, etc. But then as said, this mission being an actual true commando mission would have been something vs the easy nothing it turned out to be.

Also, why on earth is the mission called Broken Alliances? The previous three mission titles all made sense and were properly thematic but umm... what alliance was broken here exactly? :confused:

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
I love the hackers, I greatly enjoy breaking systems that are intended to have a limited economy.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

UED Special Ops posted:

Also, why on earth is the mission called Broken Alliances? The previous three mission titles all made sense and were properly thematic but umm... what alliance was broken here exactly? :confused:

I was wondering that myself. I feel like the mission either got repurposed or had some last minute change for such a strange choice.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Completely baseless, but I wonder if originally this was meant to be a China vs US map.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

Mighty Steed posted:

The hackers are in fact turning out niche erotic e-books for the Kindle store.

Pounded in the butt by the outdated jingoism and blatant ignorance of a game from 2003