Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

site posted:

Do you wanna be the guy that tells the hulk he owes taxes

Better him than Tony Stark

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/13589101-the-law-of-superheroes

This is a fantastic book that actually tries to apply real-world case law and legal theory to superheroes. Everything from the constitutionality of Superman using x-ray vision on your house to would it be 'cruel and unusual' to try to execute Wolverine not knowing if it would actually work or not.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

site posted:

If you were going to try and hold Banner financially responsible for anything I don't think being an unemployed scientist would be at the top of the list.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Skwirl posted:

Does Dr Strange have any income? Hey spent his life savings finding the Ancient One the first time, so I doubt he has any investments left over from when he was a surgeon. I assume he inherited the Greenwich Village house and a lot of other stuff from the Ancient One, but estate taxes in America ate a joke.

In the 80's series he got a business manager because his finances were a mess.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

site posted:

Darkly musing that this results in a world where the Hulk becomes the symbol for Sovereign citizen types raging against paying taxes like the Punisher logo is for cop culture.

Hulk's screaming visage letting everyone know that the person flying it will never ever make their child support payments.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

And I think Dr. Strange tried to make money once and it almost led to the end of the world?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Push El Burrito posted:

And I think Dr. Strange tried to make money once and it almost led to the end of the world?

That happens when he tries to make tea.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Thaddius the Large posted:

Better him than Tony Stark

Dunno, I'd rather face a team of lawyers than get thrown into a building or something

Lobok posted:

If you were going to try and hold Banner financially responsible for anything I don't think being an unemployed scientist would be at the top of the list.

Tax evasion is how they got Capone

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

If you try and make the Hulk pay taxes he'll just jump off the planet

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Push El Burrito posted:

There's an old panel posted somewhere in this thread of Dr Strange just conjuring money up through magic.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

muscles like this! posted:

There's an old panel posted somewhere in this thread of Dr Strange just conjuring money up through magic.

Yeah and if I remember right it somehow gets Umar involved to which Dr. Strange has to turn to Zom for help and uh oh that wasn't a good idea...

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Push El Burrito posted:

Yeah and if I remember right it somehow gets Umar involved to which Dr. Strange has to turn to Zom for help and uh oh that wasn't a good idea...

Oh god, was that the "little old woman who swallowed a fly" storyline that goes for like 8 issues? (Strange Tales was an anthology series with a Nick Fury story and a Dr. Strange story and maybe a third one? every issue, so it's not as drawn out as it sounds.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Kalli posted:

If you try and make the Hulk pay taxes he'll just jump off the planet

Going to the distant stars didn't work out quite like he hoped. Or maybe it did, I guess I don't know why he's trying there.

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

kdrudy posted:

Going to the distant stars didn't work out quite like he hoped. Or maybe it did, I guess I don't know why he's trying there.

Ahhh, it's OK, his pals in the Illuminati will help him to realize his dream later on.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Skwirl posted:

Does Dr Strange have any income? Hey spent his life savings finding the Ancient One the first time, so I doubt he has any investments left over from when he was a surgeon. I assume he inherited the Greenwich Village house and a lot of other stuff from the Ancient One, but estate taxes in America ate a joke.

He gets by with a little help from his friends

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

site posted:

Hulk's deductions for work related wardrobe expenses would easily remove any tax debt.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

“Please take a seat Dr str-“

“You cannot see me i am not real hoary shmoary shmeggity shmoo”

And he never paid taxes or did the laundry or paid a parking ticket ever again

I wanna see a comic that tries to make that work.

muscles like this! posted:

Dr. Strange has also been shown to amass as much wealth/gold as he desires using magic, as he has done to pay debts he owed.[citation needed]

also:

"Dr. Strange, with his surgical career over and too vain to accept positions as a consultant or assistant, soon exhausted his fortune following every rumored treatment, no matter how ineffective. In a matter of months, the once wealthy surgeon became a derelict, and resorted to performing a number of shady medical procedures to survive (and pay his growing bar tabs). Strange's guilt over the mistakes of his early life would come to weigh heavily upon him over the years, and his recollections of the time could not always be trusted."

weird how they left that out of the movie

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,
And rise the M.C. Etrigan!

Admiralty Flag posted:

This is my astral form, which is actually and legally distinct from my physical form. Furthermore, officer, I was not flying, I was traveling, when you interceded, in clear and direct violation of the UCC. Now by the Hoary Host of Hoggoth, begone, for I do not wish to create joinder with you.

A) Username checks out.

B) I wish I wasn't able to evaluate that and therefore find this funny.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Kalli posted:

Darkly musing that this results in a world where the Hulk becomes the symbol for Sovereign citizen types raging against paying taxes like the Punisher logo is for cop culture.

Hulk's screaming visage letting everyone know that the person flying it will never ever make their child support payments.

That "Here Comes The Incredible Hulk/There Goes The Incredible Hulk" shirt but the little ducky has a sign saying "Postmaster General" on it

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

Push El Burrito posted:

Strange Tales #156 (1967)

Strange Tales #157 (1967)

I can't remember how Umar got involved in the first place, but this entire sequence is hilarious. "Let's release ever more powerful cosmic horrors, to chase away the previous ones! What could possibly go wrong?"

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
They must keep a Green Lantern-like cosmic horror around for times like these. Phenomenal power, but he's defeated by, like, the sound of children's laughter or Hostess Fruit Pies.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

SimonChris posted:

I can't remember how Umar got involved in the first place, but this entire sequence is hilarious. "Let's release ever more powerful cosmic horrors, to chase away the previous ones! What could possibly go wrong?"

"That's the beauty of it. Eventually the Beyonders will show up and take care of The Living Tribunal."

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

SimonChris posted:

Getting lots of IGNORE ME! vibes

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
I love that arc. Steve Ditko can suck an egg, Marie Severin is my definitive Doctor Strange artist for sure, nobody else has approached that beautifully austere, delirious quality she brought to those issues. Like a four-color Leonora Carrington, I love it.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

All-Flash #3 (1941)

Doctor Doom #4 (2020)

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Darthemed posted:

All-Flash #3 (1941)

Just a superhero repeatedly stabbing someone, no big deal.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

SimonChris posted:

Umar saw Strange defeat Dormammu by, get this, going to an all powerful cosmic being and asking for help. This time it was Eternity.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Darthemed posted:

Doctor Doom #4 (2020)

That's Doom holding the plasma gun from Doom. He's Doomguy, folks.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

evilmiera posted:

Turns out it's Dooms all the way down.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

evilmiera posted:

:doom: YOU ARE STRETCHY, RICHARDS! THAT MEANS YOU HAVE STRETCHY GUTS!

MasterBuilder
Sep 30, 2008
Oven Wrangler

TwoPair posted:

:doom: YOU ARE STRETCHY, RICHARDS! THAT MEANS YOU HAVE STRETCHY GUTS!

How can you rip and tear that which stretches?

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

MasterBuilder posted:

How can you rip and tear that which stretches?

It works for taffy.

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007
Something witty yet inspirational about the Cleveland Indians

How Wonderful! posted:

I love that arc. Steve Ditko can suck an egg, Marie Severin is my definitive Doctor Strange artist for sure, nobody else has approached that beautifully austere, delirious quality she brought to those issues. Like a four-color Leonora Carrington, I love it.

Not a hot take, but the truth. Ditko was great; but tell me you don’t look at those panels and say “THAT - that is what I think of when I think of Dr Strange”.

Equally “hot” - she’s probably at worst the 3rd greatest Hulk artist after Sal Buscema and Herb Trimpe, and maybe even ahead of Trimpe.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Darthemed posted:

Doctor Doom #4 (2020)
DOOM: "Do you have something to say to my friend Karen?" *aims Karen*

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

evilmiera posted:

I'm less interested in why he has a plasma gun than why he's wearing a hoodie.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Push El Burrito posted:

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

You fool, Strange, you will free the most frightening demon of all… inflation!

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

The funny thing is that Dr. Strange's money problems had been an ongoing subplot in the previous issues, but I guess the writers just didn't know where to go with it.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Money troubles is more Spider-Man's thing anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

“Please take a seat Dr str-“

“You cannot see me i am not real hoary shmoary shmeggity shmoo”

And he never paid taxes or did the laundry or paid a parking ticket ever again

I wanna see a comic that tries to make that work.

I mean, we've seen how he deals with predatory low-ethics real estate developers trying to use shady tactics to get him to sell.

Later