Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Hobo Clown posted:

Nazis using space magic to open a portal to the tentacle dimension was very Hellboy

Those wacky nazis, always opening portals to summon :cthulhu:

And yea, Red Skull lost Zola and the Tesseract way earlier than in First Avenger, so Red Skull never had access to the designer and power used for the hydra weapons used in the movie. Also it looks like the frieze that Red Skull took from the church in Norway gave him the idea that there was some hydra symbol looking thing out there that he could control. Again, nazis were very dumb and i can totally see "hey this kinda looks like my secret societies symbol, i bet we'd get along" being something they'd think of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Organic Lube User posted:

There was also an Ultimates story where they found a dead Galactus, I think. Hard to say really, since I've tried very hard to forget as much of the Ultimates as possible.

I think that was Ewing's Ultimates not Millar's. Ewing's was set in the main universe and was about Captain Marvel and The Blue Marvel trying to solve universal threats like figuring out a way to finally satiate Galactus' hunger.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

Organic Lube User posted:

There was also an Ultimates story where they found a dead Galactus, I think. Hard to say really, since I've tried very hard to forget as much of the Ultimates as possible.

The first thing I thought of was actually the dead Galactus from Hickman's run but then I spent forever trying to work out what the actual plotline was before realizing that there are TWO dead Galactuses and one is way more confusing that the other.

The first one is basically an inconsequential part of the dumb Nu-World plot, which is kind of just strewn throughout the early Hickman run and the Fantastic Force miniseries. It's all very meandering in the comics but pretty succinctly explained in this panel.

It doesn't really go anywhere in terms of him and the FF, but the reveal of the dead Galactus and Reed's knowledge of it is memorable even if not much else about Nu-World is.

The other dead Galactus moment that I conflated this with is like the coolest moment of Hickman's whole run. Actually, I'm not even sure if he dies, but he gets hosed up big time by the Mad Celestials.

Their whole fight is rad but it's the Franklin Richards moment it sets up in the next issue that is an all-timer. You know what it is and if you don't then go read Hickman's Fantastic Four and FF right now. Every time people talk about adapting his Avengers or Secret Wars I'm like, slow down baby, we got a whole tome of FF bullshit to do first.

But yeah, it's probably just something from the zombie episode. I think the real point of this post is that whoever turned Galactus into a magic cloud is a heathen of the highest order, give me massive space luchadors going ape on each other.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
The Celestials hosed up by attacking Squirrel Girl's friend Galactus, she will not stand for that.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

Technowolf posted:

I think it was more that the Tesseract got stolen than Zola, so he didn't have anything to do other than poke around the place he originally found it and found Odin's old "How to Create a Portal to the Realm of the Old Gods (And Other Fun Party Tricks)" book.

Alchenar posted:

It's not just Zola getting captured, it's not having the Tesseract. Skull's plan is 'win the war, but for Hydra not Hitler'. In the film that's by using the Tesseract to develop the super bombs and bombers and associated cool tech. In the What If Germany is very much losing the war and he's running out of time and only gets the Tesseract at the last moment, so rather than develop and understand and build things he has to leap straight to 'summon elder god'.

And the plot needed to happen. But it's reasonable enough that things go differently.

Thank you, both! That makes way more sense now. I might need to rewatch it because I didn't about the fact that he got the Tesseract way later than he did in the movie, whereas Howard Stark got his hands on it way earlier than he initially did.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Ror posted:

The first thing I thought of was actually the dead Galactus from Hickman's run but then I spent forever trying to work out what the actual plotline was before realizing that there are TWO dead Galactuses and one is way more confusing that the other.

The first one is basically an inconsequential part of the dumb Nu-World plot, which is kind of just strewn throughout the early Hickman run and the Fantastic Force miniseries. It's all very meandering in the comics but pretty succinctly explained in this panel.

It doesn't really go anywhere in terms of him and the FF, but the reveal of the dead Galactus and Reed's knowledge of it is memorable even if not much else about Nu-World is.

The other dead Galactus moment that I conflated this with is like the coolest moment of Hickman's whole run. Actually, I'm not even sure if he dies, but he gets hosed up big time by the Mad Celestials.

Their whole fight is rad but it's the Franklin Richards moment it sets up in the next issue that is an all-timer. You know what it is and if you don't then go read Hickman's Fantastic Four and FF right now. Every time people talk about adapting his Avengers or Secret Wars I'm like, slow down baby, we got a whole tome of FF bullshit to do first.

But yeah, it's probably just something from the zombie episode. I think the real point of this post is that whoever turned Galactus into a magic cloud is a heathen of the highest order, give me massive space luchadors going ape on each other.

What's under Galactus' helmet? Is it head all the way up?

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar

twistedmentat posted:

Those wacky nazis, always opening portals to summon :cthulhu:

And yea, Red Skull lost Zola and the Tesseract way earlier than in First Avenger, so Red Skull never had access to the designer and power used for the hydra weapons used in the movie. Also it looks like the frieze that Red Skull took from the church in Norway gave him the idea that there was some hydra symbol looking thing out there that he could control. Again, nazis were very dumb and i can totally see "hey this kinda looks like my secret societies symbol, i bet we'd get along" being something they'd think of.

Fun history fact: Hitler wasn't really all that into the occult. He was more of a diesel and concrete kind of wacko futurist. It was his underlings like Himmler and Goebbels that were into the who arcane arts bullshit, Hitler just indulged them because they got results. Except, after Rudolph Hess defected to Scotland to broker peace with the Allies on the advise of his astrologer, Hitler said "gently caress this poo poo" and cracked down on astrologers, spiritualists, faith healers, and psychics. All of them ended up in the camps. This ended with concentration camps, so maybe not so fun fact.

Also, since we're all being upfront about our thirstiness for muscled murder women, when is Shanna the She-Devil coming to the MCU?

I'm mostly thirsty for the velociraptor murder.

Edit: Seriously, just give me 2 hour movie of dinosaur punching. Change her costume, changer her ethnicity, I don't care. I just need them dinosaur punches.

Marsupial Ape fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Aug 17, 2021

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Grumbles posted:

All of the life energy he has ever consumed. At the end of time Galactus will break the seals of his helmet and give birth to the next universe.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Marsupial Ape posted:

Also, since we're all being upfront about our thirstiness for muscled murder women, when is Shanna the She-Devil coming to the MCU?

I'm mostly thirsty for the velociraptor murder.

Only if they use her backstory from that one comic series where she was related to some kind of Nazi experiments, just to bring things back around to Nazi occult superscience stuff again.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

The Grumbles posted:

Technically it's yellow energy in the form of a humanoid because that's his true form! But mostly he just has a regular looking human head since we see him from the perspective of humans. His true yellow energy form has only been seen a couple times.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020

Xenomrph posted:

Only if they use her backstory from that one comic series where she was related to some kind of Nazi experiments, just to bring things back around to Nazi occult superscience stuff again.

Make it an abandoned Hydra base and it's a great way to introduce the Savage Land, too.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

X-O posted:

Technically it's yellow energy in the form of a humanoid because that's his true form! But mostly he just has a regular looking human head since we see him from the perspective of humans. His true yellow energy form has only been seen a couple times.

Does that mean Skrulls see him as a giant Skrull, and Groot sees him as a giant tree?

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

live with fruit posted:

Does that mean Skrulls see him as a giant Skrull, and Groot sees him as a giant tree?

Dr. Doom just sees himself.

At least that's what I'd guess, but it wouldn't surprise me at all.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

I hope when Galactus eventually rocks up they remember to keep his trucker cap brim, which is the most important part of the helmet.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
Wouldn't Loki Prime's Thor have not seen him since he disappeared with the Tesseract and thus not think he's dead?

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020

live with fruit posted:

Wouldn't Loki Prime's Thor have not seen him since he disappeared with the Tesseract and thus not think he's dead?

He his Prime Thor and everything else from his timeline got ate by a giant cloud dog monster thing

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

live with fruit posted:

Yes! The Skrull version is in this image.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Amazing ep, Chadwick was great :unsmith:

Korath was suuuuuuuper loving annoying though.

Mandela :allears:

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
I loved it

brolin stole the show, again

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

The running gag about how poo poo Thanos’s plan was was great.

Loved the setup on this, too.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I know it was unintentional when written, but I really like how Chadwick’s last appearance as T’Challa makes him an intergalactic force for good. :unsmith:

I also dig how this episode wasn’t really a rehash of Guardians 1 or 2, aside from the opening scene.

Yakmouth
Jan 20, 2016

It’s so weird to me who they are able to get back for voices vs who they aren’t.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Firebert posted:

I loved it

brolin stole the show, again

My favourite bit was Thanos and Nebula fleeing the plant-splosion and Thanos just picking Nebula up to carry her to safety :allears:

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
I was not expecting Chill Thanos.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

I want chill live action Brolin Thanos now

it's nice to have a purely heartwarming episode. the ending tribute had me teary

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Infinitum posted:

I hope when Galactus eventually rocks up they remember to keep his trucker cap brim, which is the most important part of the helmet.

I… I couldn’t imagine seeing this on screen. I teared up a little just reading this and I don’t even think I’m an emotional person. gently caress me I hope this scene happens because those two actors would win an Oscar.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

live with fruit posted:

Yes, but not necessarily. Galactus' appearance is strictly an interpretation of the mind that beholds him. Your typical alien that never heard of him will probably see a giant version of their own race wearing purple armor with head fins. An alien race that has knowledge of The World Eater might see him in the guise of their death deity. Reed Richards might see a humanoid entity made out of pure power cosmic, as he has a pretty solid understanding of just what Galactus is.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

I like the chain of events that if T'Challa convinces Thanos to cut it out, there's no Loki invasion. If there's no Loki invasion, there's no Avengers and no mind-control staff on Earth. If there's no Avengers or mind-control staff on Earth, there's no Ultron. If there's no Ultron, there's no destruction of Sokovia. If there's no destruction of Sokovia, there's no angry Zemo. If there's no angry Zemo, there's no assassination of King T'Chaka.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Gavok posted:

I like the chain of events that if T'Challa convinces Thanos to cut it out, there's no Loki invasion. If there's no Loki invasion, there's no Avengers and no mind-control staff on Earth. If there's no Avengers or mind-control staff on Earth, there's no Ultron. If there's no Ultron, there's no destruction of Sokovia. If there's no destruction of Sokovia, there's no angry Zemo. If there's no angry Zemo, there's no assassination of King T'Chaka.

There's also the implication that Captain America died somewhere along the line.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I always liked this depiction of Galactus from a Beta Ray Bill miniseries.

Oasx fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Aug 18, 2021

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Gavok posted:

And then in the end Ego shows up to get Peter so hopefully that universe gets a Chill Dad Thanos vs. Deadbeat Dad Ego fight.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Yakmouth posted:

It’s so weird to me who they are able to get back for voices vs who they aren’t.

For some reason some people weren't even asked, like Dave Bautista, according to him.

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.

Nail Rat posted:

For some reason some people weren't even asked, like Dave Bautista, according to him.

The producers said that everyone was asked. It's possible Dave's agent didn't pass along the message. Like Colbert and the Venture Brothers.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
I definitely prefer the wackier side of the mcu so I much preferred this to the first episode. I feel like they push the 'what if' consequences a LOT farther than ep 1, which makes for a much more interesting episode overall. And yeah, along those lines, chill dad Thanos completely stole the show.

I also like the implication there that the Infinity War happens in a large part just because the guardians of the galaxy are a bunch of idiot hoodlums, and categorically the wrong people to deal with thanos before things get too out of control

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Guess I'm gonna be in the minority here and say that this one didn't grab me quite as much as Ep. 1 did. I think mostly it was Captain Genocide stretching the credibility of what T'Challa as Star-Lord could change.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
When it’s a matter of a few lines then I don’t really care that much who voices a character, and I imagine that even those few lines are pretty expensive when it involves a famous actor.

Yakmouth
Jan 20, 2016

The ending stinger was brilliant.

Oasx posted:

When it’s a matter of a few lines then I don’t really care that much who voices a character, and I imagine that even those few lines are pretty expensive when it involves a famous actor.

But that’s just it — there doesn’t seem to be very much correlation between size-of-role/fame-of-performer and willingness to participate. It could be a “you can’t afford me” situation, but that only highlights how impressive it is that they got the people the people they did get.

Yakmouth fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Aug 18, 2021

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Obviously, they didn't bother to get Pratt for that half sentence at the end there.

Yakmouth
Jan 20, 2016

cant cook creole bream posted:

Obviously, they didn't bother to get Pratt for that half sentence at the end there.

They got Russel, though. I bet Pratt was asked.

That said, none of the original Guardians are in the episode, which is curious to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
What if... we saved a lot of money on voice acting?