Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
I'm very loving excited for Machine Robo and Gunbuster.

Speaking of Machine Robo, is Battle Hackers connected in any way to Revenge of Chronos?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
False advertising! Revenge of Chronos had a previous english sub release, because I have one of the DVDs on my shelf.

It's also amazingly terrible and I love it because of how terrible it is.

Tribladeofchaos
Jul 2, 2008

IT'S SHOWTIME!

Daltanious is also releasing this month and I'm excited to watch it! Now if only they'd rescue Golion and rerelease it and we'd have all of Tadao Nagahama's works!

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
So, Getter Arc Ep 6. I was wrong and that woman in the opening is Sho.

Also, I haven't finished the Arc manga yet but that whole scene with Black Shin Getter is completely new right?

Neo_Crimson fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Aug 8, 2021

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Neo_Crimson posted:

Also, I haven't finished the Arc manga yet but that whole scene with Black Shin Getter is completely new right?

Yeah, I can't remember any type of Black Getter in the any of the mangas.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Neo_Crimson posted:

So, Getter Arc Ep 6. I was wrong and that woman in the opening is Sho.

There was a VA announcement for her earlier. And it makes sense she's back, as the only surviving previous generation Getter pilot other than Hayato.

If you want to tie things up, you bring in the loose ends.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Ethiser posted:

Yeah, I can't remember any type of Black Getter in the any of the mangas.

Can confirm that it originally appeared in Getter Robo Armageddon.

And just about everything else in this episode is original material besides the main trio going underwater. The fleet getting wiped out happened, but it was slightly different and Schwartzkopf wasn't there. I have to say, I do like that the show is pulling in material from the other manga series.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat
well, a Shin Black Getter showing up is unexpected.

I'm glad they didn't make the same mistake as whoever designed getter noir by making all the panels red.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

What the gently caress is even happening in Getter? lol

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

GorfZaplen posted:

What the gently caress is even happening in Getter? lol

Astonishingly, they appear to be trying to tell a cohesive, comprehensive story. And if that means pulling out all the surviving cast members of Getter Robo Go, retrofitting backstory stuff from Shin Getter Robo, and inventing entirely new giant robots to have giant robot action with the production is totally willing to do that.

I have no idea whatsoever if the show is going to turn out well or if they are going to actually have an ending for a chronically unfinished franchise, but gently caress me I am really interested in seeing where this goes.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I am a little wary of the show's tone shift toward heroics with the musashi ghost and professor ghost scene, among other things. Maybe they'll pull the rug out from under us in the future chapter, legitimately anything could happen here.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

GorfZaplen posted:

I am a little wary of the show's tone shift toward heroics with the musashi ghost and professor ghost scene, among other things. Maybe they'll pull the rug out from under us in the future chapter, legitimately anything could happen here.

Same, and while I liked Sho and Schwartzkopf showing up idk how I feel about Black Shin Getter. My opinion might be clouded by my general disappointment in Armageddon though

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

If they are going to actually have an ending to Getter finally it does make sense for there to be some follow up to Shin Getter flying away to Mars and fusing with the planet which it seems like the Black Shin Getter is an attempt to do.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Ethiser posted:

If they are going to actually have an ending to Getter finally it does make sense for there to be some follow up to Shin Getter flying away to Mars and fusing with the planet which it seems like the Black Shin Getter is an attempt to do.

The follow up to that is Getter Emperor

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Droyer posted:

Was that explained in the Arc manga when they go to the future?

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

It's not explicitly stated but yes

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
I'll spin it for you quick...
Haven't gotten to see the ep yet. Does black Shin have a scarf?

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

SpikeMcclane posted:

Haven't gotten to see the ep yet. Does black Shin have a scarf?

It does not. It has the mouthguard though.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Droyer posted:

I thought that was Dragon, not Shin Getter?

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

I don't think so. Not at a computer rn, but I can make a proper post about it later tonight.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

Neo_Crimson posted:

I thought that was Dragon, not Shin Getter?
Relevant bit from the Arc manga (iirc this is the only time its mentioned):

In the Shin Getter manga it was Dragon that was buried underground and evolving into emperor, but I guess the end of Go was supposed to be it moving to mars via Shin Getter?

I don't remember if the actual buried dragon was addressed in Go or if that was a retcon in Arc or what, it's been a while since I read it.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Snake Maze posted:

Relevant bit from the Arc manga (iirc this is the only time its mentioned):

In the Shin Getter manga it was Dragon that was buried underground and evolving into emperor, but I guess the end of Go was supposed to be it moving to mars via Shin Getter?

I don't remember if the actual buried dragon was addressed in Go or if that was a retcon in Arc or what, it's been a while since I read it.

We never found out the deal with Dragon as it showed up on the very last page of Arc which was never finished

E: misread your post, yeah idk. Ishikawa didn't really take continuity seriously and only made Shin because his editor (who went on to write TTGL) kept bugging him about it

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Droyer posted:

Same, and while I liked Sho and Schwartzkopf showing up idk how I feel about Black Shin Getter. My opinion might be clouded by my general disappointment in Armageddon though

I feel like Jun Kawagoe is very attached to a heroic vision of Getter that's at odds with the manga. All the Getter OVAs bring manga material into line with the spirit of the television shows. Even New Getter which adapts a lot of the bleaker material ends with Ryoma going....to the future? Or something? To 1v1 Getter Emperor

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Honestly for the best, the Manga's not even that good in the first place

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

drrockso20 posted:

🙄

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

sometimes you should just cut your losses

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Droyer posted:

I don't think so. Not at a computer rn, but I can make a proper post about it later tonight.

Ok so there are 2 main points indicating Shin Getter becomes emperor: The first, as Snake Maze pointed out is this: Shin is the only Getter ever shown going to Mars.
The second is this: Emperor has Ryoumas voice, and Ryoumas last known whereabouts are aboard Shin Getter on/in/merged with Mars.

In Ryoumas vision of the future in Shin we actually see the evolved Dragon and it is not called Getter Emperor, it's called Getter Saint Dragon. It does say this: which could mean it could mean itwill also be part of Emperor, but it could also mean a million other things, and even if it means that then Dragon and Shin would both be part of Emperor.

The only thing I would consider a retcon is how Hayato describes why the Saotome lab is abandoned in Go, Shin contradicts it completely. The Dragon isn't mentioned in Go (and it was almost definitely not conceived of at the time) but neither does anything happen that would contradict its existence.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

drrockso20 posted:

Great loving posting my dude, really adds to the discussion

Tribladeofchaos
Jul 2, 2008

IT'S SHOWTIME!

I prefer heroic Getter too to be fair, I didn't really like the manga very much so I've always liked the anime instead. Hearing that Arc has been bringing back past surviving characters is pretty appealing to me too.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
Manga Getter (specifically shin/arc) treats getter with an almost religious mixture of fear and awe in a way that's really interesting to me, and has never really been captured by any of the anime adaptations (although New toyed with it a bit). I don't know how much of it is intentional but it nails the "Getter as power of evolution" metaphor way better than something like spiral energy.

I admit I don't know how you get a satisfying ending out of it, but I'd really like an anime adaptation that tries to balance the tension between "Getter is a force of growth and progress and the only thing that can save humanity" and "Getter is an existential threat to the rest of the universe" both being true (and impossible to separate).

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Ishikawa's post-Go Getter manga's are all impeccably drawn and well paced, but it is absolutely its ambiguity toward power, violence, and heroism that elevates it above whatever-generic-super-robot-series-#500.

(And the absence of those themes is keenly felt in the original manga.)

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I'm not against the heroic Getter, Shin v Neo is my favorite Getter OVA and it's the most gee whiz of them all, but it doesn't feel right to add that aspect to a manga adaptation to me. We'll see what they do with it but it'd be a shame to lose something like the blackly comic humor of the future arc for something for straightforward. A more heroic and optimistic tone also changes the way some later stuff Kamui's dino-coup for example will have to be presented.

That said, all will be forgiven if they make Dino Getter the main character and the show becomes all about Dino Getter.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/PracticalMecha/status/1425197678036672512

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

I hate to dampen the arc vibes but I just watched the first episode and does the CG mech animation, like, get better? It's definitely improved over the trailers (and honestly, probably the best I've seen in the genre outside of feature films) but it still doesn't feel great, which is a drat shame because everything else felt extremely :getter: in the most positive sense, aside from not getting to see Takuma beat the poo poo out of the convenience store bandits.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the animation is, uh, adequate most of the time. everything else is great.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

(and honestly, probably the best I've seen in the genre outside of feature films)

https://www.sakugabooru.com/data/25aad9750c3ff185d01ade58ed7ef1bc.mp4

Edit: drat a severe lack of Dynazenon fight scenes on Sakugabooru, otherwise i'd have put one of those here too have this instead: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9_Wj2VwMk4

Droyer fucked around with this message at 11:24 on Aug 13, 2021

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

This week's Arc looked a lot better than previous eps. Good ep too, even if i still don't know how i feel about Black Shin Getter. Also

YES

Octo1
May 7, 2009
I want them to put Texas Mack in Getter Arc, I don't care how or why it shows up.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Octo1 posted:

I want them to put Texas Mack in Getter Arc, I don't care how or why it shows up.

It can just have a cameo between the mass-produced Stelber. And no one ever calls it out, it's just there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Texas Mack should destroy Getter Emperor.