Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Oh dear :(

https://twitter.com/officialbarchq/status/1421563573420101632?s=21

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!
Those crappy Brands Hatch guard rails needed to be removed ages ago. They got SUPER lucky when this wreck happened in 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVd1HVlJD3A

RIP that marshal :(

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

dsriggs posted:

Those crappy Brands Hatch guard rails needed to be removed ages ago. They got SUPER lucky when this wreck happened in 2011

But tradition

Fucks sake why aren't the marshals behind more durable fencing and barriers

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

dsriggs posted:

And the area that MR2 lands would be SUPER busy at a big meet. The main food stand is just left of the camera shot and it's also the main route for humans from the start straight to the rest of the circuit.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

That's a frightening crash, god drat :smith:

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
I'm pretty sure the fencing has been changed there since that happened? But I think at that point there is a gate for ambulance access, sometimes at the end of a trackday that part is used as a circuit exit too.

I guess you could just have the ambulance on standby in the centre pit part but then they aren't going to be able to get out of that bit quickly especially on a full race day

Edit: oops missed the post above, I guess they didn't change anything then

track day bro! fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Aug 1, 2021

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
And the spa 24 is in for an interesting 45 minutes if they keep racing. It's pissing down atm

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
I just watched the Brands Hatch crash and uh…

I feel like people should’ve predicted that this would eventually happen with the way the track was laid out and where the marshal post was.

Maybe this is just hindsight though 🤷‍♂️

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

boop the snoot posted:

I just watched the Brands Hatch crash and uh…

I feel like people should’ve predicted that this would eventually happen with the way the track was laid out and where the marshal post was.

Maybe this is just hindsight though 🤷‍♂️

its so similar to the 2011 incident its hard not to blame them

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
It's not a party until the bomb squad says it is

Vasukhani posted:

its so similar to the 2011 incident its hard not to blame them

Its almost Identical to a crash that happened this June that its inexcusable

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/motogp/status/1423289318668345353

End of an era :smith:

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I don't know guys is there anything worth watching this weekend?

(I have Monday off work so I can stay up for the finish)

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

first off, holy gently caress the end of that MotoGP race at Austria was chaos in the best ways possible.

algebra testes posted:

I don't know guys is there anything worth watching this weekend?

(I have Monday off work so I can stay up for the finish)

:toot:

IT'S TIME

24 Hours of Le Mans is set for 21-22 August, I'll try to find the spotter's guide when it's finished and available, and provide a little preview later.

and as important, we should have some good announcements for future years coming this week as well.

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

harperdc posted:

first off, holy gently caress the end of that MotoGP race at Austria was chaos in the best ways possible.

:toot:

IT'S TIME

24 Hours of Le Mans is set for 21-22 August, I'll try to find the spotter's guide when it's finished and available, and provide a little preview later.

and as important, we should have some good announcements for future years coming this week as well.

Wow I forgot about it. Man I love this race!

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

still a bunch of days out but forecast is hot and dry. we might actually get 24 hours of racing.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

It is time for the mans.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Lmp2 is dogfight

GTEPro will be fascinating

And GTEAm will be interesting

And there will be many lols if the Yotas breakdown

Edit: they remove the BOP so it's just Raw Pace so I would expect the Yotas to have a massive performance edge.

algebra testes fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Aug 18, 2021

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
I have Motortrend through Sling. Because they are the American distributor, I hoping to see if they have a full slate of qualifying, practice, etc. Nope, just lots of Guys (And sometimes Girls) In Garages shows until the actual event starts.

Where can I watch the buildup?

Xisticide
Nov 27, 2005
Let's gooooooo

oh

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Nybble posted:

I have Motortrend through Sling. Because they are the American distributor, I hoping to see if they have a full slate of qualifying, practice, etc. Nope, just lots of Guys (And sometimes Girls) In Garages shows until the actual event starts.

The first broadcast practice session is later today (the WEC App coverage is apparently using FP1 as their dry run so it's not being broadcast). The full event schedule is available on the FIA WEC website, with a 'convert to local time' button.

Radio Le Mans is currently broadcasting FP1 live with audio only, and they will have broadcasts for every session live and free around the world. I'd be tempted to tell you to put the actual race coverage on TV and run the Radio Le Mans audio on a speaker or something otherwise.

The FIA WEC website also posted a list of 'where to watch' for different places around the world. If you can get it, the FIA WEC App (Apple link and Android link) has very good commentary, no advertisements, and coverage of the rest of the Practice and Qualifying sessions.

Looks like designer Andy Blackmore isn't doing a 2021 Le Mans spotter's guide, which is a sad result of the pandemic I'd assume. Will keep my eyes open if the FIA WEC produces an official one.

Space Butler
Dec 3, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
Here's the spotters guide from reddit: https://spotters.guide/resources/2021_Le_Mans_V1.pdf

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Nybble posted:

You'll have to subscribe to their Motor Trend On Demand service here in the US.

Brass Hand
Feb 27, 2020
For those in the UK and Ireland, Eurosport Player/Discovery Plus have free trials and a half price yearly description at the moment. Watched via their PS4 App and it was solid. I enjoy their commentary team at night it’s just telling anecdotes and other stuff.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

gret posted:

You'll have to subscribe to their Motor Trend On Demand service here in the US.

False, I've been using the WEC world feed for several years now in the US. They quietly dropped the geoblock it seems, and no one but me noticed, I guess. Been watching it all day on the WEC site.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

the wec site says it is still geoblocked in the us so who the gently caress even knows :shrug:

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
Well if they think it is, it's broken af and we better not let them know, haha

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Found some spotters guides:

https://twitter.com/grosiakmateusz/status/1427645215687446529

Free Practice 3 in the next few hours and Hyperpole coming up in about 11 hours (21:30-22:00 local at the track).

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

https://jalopnik.com/bentley-is-working-on-an-electric-continental-race-car-1847512972

I wasn't aware of FIA eGT but hopefully it happens. The necessary pitstop part of it sounds...interesting I guess? Hope more comes out of it.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

Well if they think it is, it's broken af and we better not let them know, haha

I think I figured it out. Buddy of mine just tried and was still geoblocked. Back when I first signed up I did it via VPN and told them I was in France, so I guess it doesn't check after that :laffo:

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

This practice session has been messy as hell, so many cars spinning off or clobbering the tire wall on driver’s right going into the first corner of the lap.

Most recent has been the #8 Toyota spinning off at Indianapolis.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

One thing to take into account for LeMans is there's going to be a LOT less traffic in the race.

The GTs are quicker, the hypercars are slower than last year's LMP2s.

It was 45 seconds front to back last year. This year it's 26.

And the gap front to LMP2 has gone from 10 seconds to 2. So they're gonna be seeing the front of that field 1/5th as often.

Dudley fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Aug 19, 2021

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

net work error posted:

https://jalopnik.com/bentley-is-working-on-an-electric-continental-race-car-1847512972

I wasn't aware of FIA eGT but hopefully it happens. The necessary pitstop part of it sounds...interesting I guess? Hope more comes out of it.

Going to pit to get a few laps of a charge on the car... might as well make the drivers swap cars like Formula E had to do before they got the batteries to last the 45 minutes :smug:

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019
They're needs to just be a completely open E-series. They can make electric cars that go for several hours at race speeds. Part of the reason I think formula E is having manufacturers leave is it is basically bad publicity for the electric car. Makes them look slow and really range limited.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Vasukhani posted:

They're needs to just be a completely open E-series. They can make electric cars that go for several hours at race speeds. Part of the reason I think formula E is having manufacturers leave is it is basically bad publicity for the electric car. Makes them look slow and really range limited.

Define “several hours” and “race speeds.”

Also to steal a line: The good news this season for Formula E was that big manufacturers had gotten involved with R&D and driver investments. The bad news is that big manufacturers had gotten involved with R&D and driver investments.

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

harperdc posted:

Define “several hours” and “race speeds.”

Also to steal a line: The good news this season for Formula E was that big manufacturers had gotten involved with R&D and driver investments. The bad news is that big manufacturers had gotten involved with R&D and driver investments.

Consumer eletric cars can do more than 45 minutes at 120 kph so idk why the "top level of electric car racing" can barely manage that

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Because consumer cars don't need to be small and aerodynamic so can have way more battery capacity. This is an inherent limitation of electric open wheelers, you only have so much space to work with.

Then there's also Formula E's increasingly unpopular rules around energy use because those batteries I believe can go harder for longer (the race earlier this year where everyone ran out of energy came after over 10% of the energy limit was deducted after safety cars) but everyone's limited by the energy allowance they're given. I assume electric GT won't have these kinds of limits mostly because Alejandro Agag doesn't seem to be involved and energy limits seem to be entirely his thing. Personally I'm hugely in favour of there being an electric series that isn't under his ownership.

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

njsykora posted:

Because consumer cars don't need to be small and aerodynamic so can have way more battery capacity. This is an inherent limitation of electric open wheelers, you only have so much space to work with.

Might help if they were allowed to work with it...

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Vasukhani posted:

Consumer eletric cars can do more than 45 minutes at 120 kph so idk why the "top level of electric car racing" can barely manage that

Consumer electric cars can cruise for more than 45 minutes at 120 kph. Lapping a circuit (especially the narrow fiddly kart track style things they subject Formula E to) is a whole different use pattern, and one that will both be lower fuel mileage for a gasoline/diesel car and also much lower efficiency for an electric car equally.

This feature from Car and Driver magazine is probably worth pulling some quotes and information from:

quote:

Hot-lapping EVs is an unfamiliar exercise, so Porsche brought along two identical cars, just in case. But the spare proved unnecessary, as the Taycan is the first EV that didn't crumble against the Lightning Lap grindstone. It endured, without issue, our typical lapping schedule: a brisk out lap, a fast-as-you-dare hot lap followed by a cool-down, another hot lap, and then a cool-down before heading back to the pits. Starting with a full battery from an overnight charge, the Taycan landed at about 40 percent capacity after this routine, which, interestingly, is a burn rate on par with the Shelby GT500's. To find the battery's limits, we did two consecutive flying laps once, which put enough heat in the battery to reduce power. We didn't have to alter our routine for charging, though, as there was ample time—about four and a half hours—to top up the battery while this driver rotated through his other cars. A 50-amp RV outlet in the paddock, a common find at racetracks, supplied the electricity.

So the heavy Porsche Taycan ran about 30 minutes on track and that took down 60 percent of its battery. And with a 93.4 kWh battery, that's 55 kWh burned in that time.

Track performance wears things out quickly.

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019
I'm literally positive they would do it fine if they allowed battery development

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Extreme E so far is okay I guess and that's another Agag joint.