Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009
Thanks for that thread, awesome stuff on there. Now what's the easiest way to get a windows USB install without having an existing computer?

PageMaster fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Aug 17, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
have a friend make one for you?

Joiny
Aug 9, 2005

Would you like to peruse my wares?
Use the computer at a local library?

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Joiny posted:

Use the computer at a local library?

It may not even matter any more (I may have read or am answering the wrong question). I think they just haven’t updated their website, because a relatively small number of older-version-ed BIOS needed to be flashed by the user, but almost 0 have gotten out of the factory without the update rendering this issue moot.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
You can buy physical copies of Windows that come on a USB, but I would recommend buying a key from someone like LN and then just getting a friend/family member to let you make a USB with their computer (you only need an internet connection).

You can actually avoid getting the key altogether, if you don't care about customizing your desktop or a few other features...just need the (free) installer which you can put on any USB.

You will have to format the USB, so be sure to pull any unique data off it, first!

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009
Yeah I got the keys already from the thread, very cool. I was just hoping there's an easy shortcut to just get any windows installed first so I can finish with everything else online and at least start troubleshooting

One last(?) question: my motherboard comes with a wired temp sensor I can stick somewhere. Can I just ignore this? I t believe the mobo's have their own internal temp sensor at a bunch of locations already; is there someplace I really want to use this?

PageMaster fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Aug 17, 2021

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Oh one thing about installing Windows if you haven't done it in a while, unplug any drives that aren't the drive you're installing Windows to or it'll put OS hooks on them and make it a nightmare if you want to replace the drive later.

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...
Checked the OP.

What are the best prebuilt companies that have good QC/customer service?

Due to the graphics card shortage I am choosing to do prebuilt.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

err posted:

Checked the OP.

What are the best prebuilt companies that have good QC/customer service?

Due to the graphics card shortage I am choosing to do prebuilt.

Good customer service?

Very few, if any unless your budget is insane. What do you want good customer service for specifically?

err
Apr 11, 2005

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

Good customer service?

Very few, if any unless your budget is insane. What do you want good customer service for specifically?

I've seen on /r/buildapcsales people having some issues if there are dead graphics cards or other issues that get unnoticed by QC.

Hard for the person to get in touch with support, getting ran around, etc.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

So I just noticed my case fans aren't actually turning...

Temps look fine, I think the CPU cooler is pushing enough air on it's own to manage everything fine, even when the GPU spools up. My MSI Center monitor says those fans are being commanded to turn at ~900RPM (and correctly detects the specific headers those fans are connected to) but they are obviously stopped. They're the stock fans that came with my Corsair 4000D, I should have just needed to plug them in right? Nothing else to it? The connectors are keyed so it seems unlikely I plugged them in backwards or something...

E: false alarm, they're totally running, I was fooled by the support beams that look suspiciously like fan blades :v:

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Aug 17, 2021

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

err posted:

I've seen on /r/buildapcsales people having some issues if there are dead graphics cards or other issues that get unnoticed by QC.

Hard for the person to get in touch with support, getting ran around, etc.

If that’s the reason, you’re likely to get resistance across the board.

According to GN, ABS and skytech seem to be the best they’ve found so far. Far ground perfect, but way better than everything else. Just pay attention to the case itself unless you plan on transporting to a new case. Also make sure you get 2x sticks fo ram.

I’d also plan on getting a new CPU cooler. That’s the weak point of almost all of these.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

PittTheElder posted:

So I just noticed my case fans aren't actually turning...

Temps look fine, I think the CPU cooler is pushing enough air on it's own to manage everything fine, even when the GPU spools up. My MSI Center monitor says those fans are being commanded to turn at ~900RPM (and correctly detects the specific headers those fans are connected to) but they are obviously stopped. They're the stock fans that came with my Corsair 4000D, I should have just needed to plug them in right? Nothing else to it? The connectors are keyed so it seems unlikely I plugged them in backwards or something...

The fans are hooked up to the motherboard headers directly?

If that’s the case, it could be fan curves. It’s possible they’re set to off below certain temps.

Check your fan curves in BIOS.

If it’s connected to a fan controller you’ll need to find the switch for it.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Thank you for the tips, though turns out they're running fine and I'm just blind :v:

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

According to GN, ABS and skytech seem to be the best they’ve found so far. Far ground perfect, but way better than everything else. Just pay attention to the case itself unless you plan on transporting to a new case. Also make sure you get 2x sticks fo ram.

I’d also plan on getting a new CPU cooler. That’s the weak point of almost all of these.

I’ve bought two prebuilts from IBuyPower in the last decade, and the only reason I know absolutely nothing about their customer service is because I’ve never had software or hardware problems with their products. Not one. So to me, that’s even more important than easy customer service.

Both my prebuilts used top-quality off the shelf components as well. Even the AGP-slot discrete GPU from 2011 still works, I just don’t have any old desktop to use it in :)

Fake edit: Also my newest rig (Intel i7, RTX 3070) cost me slightly under (like $0.79 lol) than 2 grand. So not “cheapest,” but not 2008 Alienware either.

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

Is this a good place to talk about prebuilts? My current PC is slowly but surely dying on me and I don't think I can afford to wait until the market gets less insane. This is a stone age setup with a 970 so I'll only transfer my SSD and external HDD to the new one.

Would this prebuilt
https://support.hp.com/hk-en/document/c07673208
be worth 1500 euros? It might sound silly but I'm worried about its dimensions. It's a lot smaller than my current one and I don't know much about cooling/ventilation. Also don't know about that power supply.

The short of it for those who can't click the link

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard: Erica6
Memory: 32 GB DDR4-3200 MHz RAM (2 x 16 GB)
Storage: 1 TB PCIe® NVMe™ M.2 SSD /// 1 TB 7200 rpm SATA HDD
Video Card: NVIDIA® GeForce RTX™ 3060 Ti
Power Supply: 500 W Bronze efficiency power supply (?)

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009
I have ddr4 3600 memory, but bios shows memory frequency at 2141mhz; why would this be? The XMP option lists the memory frequency and timings correct. Would amd Infinity fabric settings affect or downclock memory frequency?

Edit: In memory overclock menu I can't manually set frequency to 3600 either, it tops out at 3000.

PageMaster fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Aug 17, 2021

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

lol I came to post almost the exact same question. I bought 3200MHz memory, but I only see it running at 2667MHz (or half that depending on the tool of course):

Is it expected that I should go update the memory speed in BIOS to match the actual rated performance?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

PageMaster posted:

I have ddr4 3600 memory, but bios shows memory frequency at 2141mhz; why would this be? The XMP option lists the memory frequency and timings correct. Would amd Infinity fabric settings affect or downclock memory frequency?

Edit: In memory overclock menu I can't manually set frequency to 3600 either, it tops out at 3000.

What does HWiNFO list your memory's speed at in its summary? Should be 1800 MHz for DDR4-3600. It's possible that the bios is only reporting the stock config for your memory but it's running appropriately in windows.

PittTheElder posted:

lol I came to post almost the exact same question. I bought 3200MHz memory, but I only see it running at 2667MHz (or half that depending on the tool of course):

Is it expected that I should go update the memory speed in BIOS to match the actual rated performance?

In your case, I would make sure that XMP or DOCP is enabled in your system bios.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Aug 17, 2021

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

DerekSmartymans posted:

I’ve bought two prebuilts from IBuyPower in the last decade, and the only reason I know absolutely nothing about their customer service is because I’ve never had software or hardware problems with their products. Not one. So to me, that’s even more important than easy customer service.

Both my prebuilts used top-quality off the shelf components as well. Even the AGP-slot discrete GPU from 2011 still works, I just don’t have any old desktop to use it in :)

Fake edit: Also my newest rig (Intel i7, RTX 3070) cost me slightly under (like $0.79 lol) than 2 grand. So not “cheapest,” but not 2008 Alienware either.

Ibuypower may be different from when you last bought.

Looking at the GN video they did on them it was pretty bad.

Eraflure posted:

Is this a good place to talk about prebuilts? My current PC is slowly but surely dying on me and I don't think I can afford to wait until the market gets less insane. This is a stone age setup with a 970 so I'll only transfer my SSD and external HDD to the new one.

Would this prebuilt
be worth 1500 euros? It might sound silly but I'm worried about its dimensions. It's a lot smaller than my current one and I don't know much about cooling/ventilation. Also don't know about that power supply.

I would not buy a prebuilt from HP. Their prebuilts are similar to dells in that they use tons of custom proprietary hardware.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

HP's Omen line of desktops I believe is generally okay (don't quote me on that though), but I would not trust a Pavilion as far as I can throw it.

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009
Never heard of HWiNFO so I'm need to look into it. Let me check and see what's going on on this memory frequency.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

PageMaster posted:

Never heard of HWiNFO so I'm need to look into it. Let me check and see what's going on on this memory frequency.

It's just a standard system info app. CPU-Z will work too.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Eraflure posted:

Would this prebuilt

Not sure about prices in the UK but you could likely build a comparable system for way less even if you pay scalper prices for that GPU

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

Well poo poo. I guess I'll risk waiting for a bit to see if I can find something relatively affordable. Someone mentionned StockDrops earlier in the thread, are there other places I can check for (ideally continental) EU deals?

Really appreciate the help.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Assuming it's not your 970 failing you could just build the system aside from the GPU and keep using that, its still a fairly useable card.

err
Apr 11, 2005

What is GN and ABS?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

In your case, I would make sure that XMP or DOCP is enabled in your system bios.

That was totally is, cheers!

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

err posted:

What is GN and ABS?

GN is gamers nexus, a hardware review channel on YouTube that does a ton of really intensive review content. Lately they’ve been buying prebuilts and testing them, and surprise they’ve basically all been poo poo.

Abs is Newegg house brand prebuilts and did well in their reviews.

Skytech is another brand that did will (even better than the ABS).

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

err posted:

What is GN and ABS?

GN is Gamers Nexus, a youtube channel that takes a pretty no-nonsense approach to content, featuring Tech Jesus. They review things in a rigorous manner using consistent methodology. They take a consumer-first approach to their evaluations that can at times border on cynical (though it's hard not to be cynical with the current state of the industry). Their main focus for product reviews beyond the big CPU and GPU launches are PC cases, coolers, and recently prebuilts.

ABS is a seller of prebuilt PCs. They're actually Newegg's house brand for PCs (why they aren't using the Rosewill brand for that, I don't know).

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
Gamers Nexus is what you remember Anandtech being... :corsair:

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Gamers Nexus is what you remember Anandtech being... :corsair:

Aahhh, the heady days of the early 2000s, reading through 28 CPU benchmarks with each chart being on a separate page you had to select from a giant drop-down menu :allears:

Takes No Damage fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Aug 18, 2021

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Never gotten a PC before, am I doing it right please help

quote:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor ($279.99 @ Best Buy)
Motherboard: *ASRock B550M-ITX/ac Mini ITX AM4 Motherboard ($109.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: *Silicon Power 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($64.97 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($289.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: *Zotac GeForce RTX 3060 12 GB GAMING Twin Edge OC Video Card ($766.61 @ Amazon)
Case: Cooler Master MasterBox NR200P Mini ITX Desktop Case ($108.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: *SeaSonic FOCUS SGX 500 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular SFX Power Supply ($73.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: *Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1794.52
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
*Lowest price parts chosen from parametric criteria
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-08-18 10:11 EDT-0400

the case is an important part because I have limited space to put the computer in

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Augus posted:

Never gotten a PC before, am I doing it right please help

the case is an important part because I have limited space to put the computer in

This seems totally fine, maybe bump up the PSU to 550 or 600 watts just so you have some overhead. Also don't pay $100 for windows, you can get a key for $15-20. Maybe take that money and get a low-profile CPU cooler instead.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
do you have a non gaming, productivity related reason for eight cores? for gaming and other single core stuff a 5600x is faster and iirc cheaper and thermals are always a pain in the rear end for a SFX case. I imagine the 3060 is a space choice? if it isn't I'd trade that CPU down a little and get a 3060ti is you can. you can go cheaper on the drive with an extremely marginal real world impact, something like an SN550 is the common reccomended choice. you can get a winders key for much cheaper than that on SA mart.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
Yea, I would get a 5600x and a western digital 2TB sn550 as well and also buy a ~$20 windows key via SA-Mart. Put the money saved into a nice low profile aftermarket CPU cooler.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
You don't need a low profile cooler in the nr200p, it fits coolers up to 157mm in height (like the fuma 2)

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
Unless MS Flight Simulator or Cyberpunk 2077 is your favorite game, 8+ cores is kind of a waste right now for gaming. That is unlikely to change for at least the current console generation, which gives 3-5 years. Almost always better to put that money towards a better GPU, instead!

Takes No Damage posted:

Aahhh, the heady days of the early 2000s, reading through 28 CPU benchmarks with each chart being on a separate page you had to select from a giant drop-down menu :allears:

The Bench is still great for making comparisons, but it was sad to watch the decline. It's not that they're bad, or anything, just that I guess Anand himself was so good and had so many connections...maybe it wasn't a decline so much as time just marched on.

For instance, this is a really good article with lots of information pertinent to this thread: https://www.anandtech.com/show/9793/best-cpus

...but GN gives the same info and I don't have to read. :effort:

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Butterfly Valley posted:

You don't need a low profile cooler in the nr200p, it fits coolers up to 157mm in height (like the fuma 2)

In that case, get the Fuma 2, because it's great!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Thanks for the quick replies!
One other thing is that the 5600x gives me this compatibility warning on the website:

quote:

Warning! Some AMD B550 chipset motherboards may need a BIOS update prior to using Vermeer CPUs. Upgrading the BIOS may require a different CPU that is supported by older BIOS revisions.