Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

osprey
Apr 18, 2021

i think this article calling out desantis over shilling regeneron was already posted
DeSantis top donor invests in COVID drug governor promotes

this is from the author, afterward

https://twitter.com/bsfarrington/status/1427882742163906563

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Shifty Pony posted:

aren't they still being pedantic morons

i just read the name nate silver, the answer is “yes”

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Which everyone fuckin figured was going to happen to begin with. In a sane country the CDC would have told everyone to maintain pandemic hygiene despite vaccination status while they monitored the early vaccinated population but we just couldn't do that. lol

tenderjerk
Nov 6, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 375 days!

super sweet best pal posted:

I think this thread and the GBS thread should swap subforums, see if it breaks anyone's brain.

It would be interesting to see how this thread would respond to "just had mimosas with friends and only hacked up part of my lungs on the waiter but its cool, life is to be lived 😎 "

slippery doc
Jan 17, 2006

kill the boy,
save the man

Nocturtle posted:

Interesting post from Carl Bergstrom about the Israeli observations of decreased efficacy:
https://twitter.com/CT_Bergstrom/status/1427767357808603139?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Each age group considered separately has high effectiveness (>85%), but it declines to 67.% when they're combined. Basically there's a lot of unvaccinated young people that don't get that sick while there's a lot of vaccinated old people that do get sick. Combining the two age groups obscures the fact that the vaccinated do significantly better than the unvaccinated within the corresponding age group. Feels a bit like P-hacking, except there's a robust physical explanation to justify "binning" the data by age.

friend sent me this blog post yesterday and these were my takes on it:

the simpson's paradox thing is real and convinces me that the 67% is misleadingly low. he gets the following table when stratifying by age:

so the Israeli vaccine is (currently) highly effective in the young population with a dropoff in efficacy for the older population

these numbers don't look great to me! The author concludes "see! it's not 67%, it's highly effective!" without comparing to any initial efficacy. Looking at a Lancet study on the Israeli vaccine:
https://www.thelancet.com/action/showPdf?pii=S0140-6736(21)00947-8
...the original efficacy against severe disease is like 98% in every age group. Age didn't seem to have much of an impact on the efficacy here!

So why does age now seem to matter? Seems possible to me that the author of that blogpost is making the same mistake he's complaining about in failing to stratify your data on a relevant variable.. specifically, older people got the vaccine, on average, a longer time ago! So seeing lower efficacy in older populations (who got vaccinated earlier) is entirely consistent with a waning efficacy, especially when there was no significant difference in age groups initially

This is also pretty consistent with these slides that Eric Crakl-Ping shared a while ago:
https://www.gov.il/BlobFolder/reports/vaccine-efficacy-safety-follow-up-committee/he/files_publications_corona_two-dose-vaccination-data.pdf
This doesn't tell you about severe cases, just breakthrough cases in general (which the blog post conveniently shrugs off), but check out slide 6. Breakthroughs are as high or higher in the young population, it just depends on when you got the shot. Wouldn't surprise me if severe cases are a similar story.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

sonatinas posted:

first year of daycare sucks for parents from all the poo poo you get from the kid but COVID respects that

real cool vibes from Covid-19

my brother put his kid in daycare knowing they’d get covid, and sure enough they all got their wish within a little over a month and a half!

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
do like half of us gonna get boosters while new first shot stats barely move

my spouses work is making it mandatory after FDA approval. that might move the needle a little. not sure about 5-11 year olds, probably less than 12-18

osprey
Apr 18, 2021

Rubby posted:

ONLY YOUR RESPIRATOR TRUST

I guess I should repost this for the new thread since I am a SHAMELESS CLOUT PARASITE. If anybody wants these in no way Limited Edition shirts...

:w00t: Get yer piping hot t-shirts (or mugs or face diapers) here :w00t:

https://rubby.threadless.com/designs/no-one/mens/t-shirt/regular?variation=front&color=black

They even threw a free shipping code for anything over $45: FREESHIP821 until 8/22

There are even baby and kids sizes, which, lmao

:hellyeah:

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/jimsciutto/status/1428005614706479105?s=20

https://twitter.com/NBCNews/status/1428002358789906432?s=20

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007
The co-owner of the Westside Journal weekly newspaper used his voice as a columnist to widely share his doubts about the vaccine and his mistrust of the health experts in the U.S. who have been urging everyone to get it.

“I do not trust the Federal Government,” West wrote recently. “I do not trust Dr. Fauci, I do not trust the medical profession, nor the pharmaceutical giants.”

But something happened to change his mind: Two of West’s close friends became ill with the virus, and a third died. Rattled and stressed, he prayed for guidance. Then, when his mother and another relative both urged him to get vaccinated, he took it as a sign from God. West drove to the Winn Dixie supermarket and rolled up his sleeve for the first of two injections of the Moderna vaccine.

“All of a sudden, it hit real close to home,” he said.

Barry Soteriology
Mar 1, 2020
All Americans? Including Americans under 12?

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Which everyone fuckin figured was going to happen to begin with. In a sane country the CDC would have told everyone to maintain pandemic hygiene despite vaccination status while they monitored the early vaccinated population but we just couldn't do that. lol

the US response has been a pandemic version of the marshmallow experiment, except the US is so excited to get just one marshmallow it knocks it off the table and bats it around on the floor like a cat.

goth smoking cloves
Feb 28, 2011

I assume all Americans means all 12+ right?

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

uh “all” gonna need clarification here

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Lovelyn posted:

Horrifying work story about proning:

We have 5 patients on proning rotations on the floor today. Our proning schedule is 16 hours proned, 8 hours supined/side-lying. I was helping the team when one shared a story about a patient who was proned and was lying on his dick. It went ischemic (lost blood flow) and he had 2/3 of his dick and his nuts amputated. Helluva thing to wake up to after being sedated for days/weeks.

uh isn't this malpractice

WorldsStongestNerd
Apr 28, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Stereotype posted:

do you people have any idea how much money the lockdowns cost? or how many brunches were missed? those brunches that no one will ever get back, they're gone forever now. not to mention all the time children had to spend with their parents. it probably scarred those kids for life and will be a constant debilitating condition for their entire lives.
no no no. we're going to move forwards and do it safely

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Brunches uneaten at the deli on 5th and Main. I watched owners wailing in the dark near thier shuttered Applebee's. All those brunches will be lost in time like mimosas left out in the rain. Time to open Biden.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

it’s cool kids are loving invisible

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Lovelyn posted:

We have 5 patients on proning rotations on the floor today. Our proning schedule is 16 hours proned, 8 hours supined/side-lying. I was helping the team when one shared a story about a patient who was proned and was lying on his dick. It went ischemic (lost blood flow) and he had 2/3 of his dick and his nuts amputated. Helluva thing to wake up to after being sedated for days/weeks.

Clear evidence the vaccine doesn't work. It can't even protect yo dick. Open Biden!

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
nb: you're also only eligible eight months after your second dose

Apr 7, 2003

WorldsStongestNerd posted:

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Brunches uneaten at the deli on 5th and Main. I watched owners wailing in the dark near thier shuttered Applebee's. All those brunches will be lost in time like mimosas left out in the rain. Time to open Biden.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4bayBO1MRs

jinx_player
Aug 25, 2018

Steve Yun posted:

What does a negative ICU bed look like

Someone dying in their car in the parking lot of the hospital, listening to Dark Side of the Moon on repeat.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Joementum posted:

nb: you're also only eligible eight months after your second dose

I'm not waiting until December for my third dose, I work in a restaurant

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Lovelyn posted:

don't post my medical info please

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Lovelyn posted:

Let me choke to death if this happens to me.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Nocturtle posted:

Interesting post from Carl Bergstrom about the Israeli observations of decreased efficacy:
https://twitter.com/CT_Bergstrom/status/1427767357808603139?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Each age group considered separately has high effectiveness (>85%), but it declines to 67.% when they're combined. Basically there's a lot of unvaccinated young people that don't get that sick while there's a lot of vaccinated old people that do get sick. Combining the two age groups obscures the fact that the vaccinated do significantly better than the unvaccinated within the corresponding age group. Feels a bit like P-hacking, except there's a robust physical explanation to justify "binning" the data by age.

This is great poo poo. As long as doses don't get backlogged again (doubtful) I think it means postponing a booster right now and waiting til closer to standard flu shot times (so oct-nov depending on climate) is the right move

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
it's pretty clear there's no medical evidence for that eight month delay, they just put that in there for distributional or political reasons

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

slippery doc posted:

friend sent me this blog post yesterday and these were my takes on it:

For sure, just as age is a relevant factor so is time since vaccination. Deducing effectiveness from this kind of data generally seems difficult. However the decrease in effectiveness and breakthrough rate increase within a given age group is much clearer. Guess the CDC agrees now that they finally admitted boosters were required.

I thought the original post was interesting in part because it's such a nice illustration of Simpson's paradox. Like, how can the effectiveness be greater than 85% in each subgroup by 67% overall? It's counter-intuitive.

edit:

mastershakeman posted:

This is great poo poo. As long as doses don't get backlogged again (doubtful) I think it means postponing a booster right now and waiting til closer to standard flu shot times (so oct-nov depending on climate) is the right move

Ahaha now I regret posting it.

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

It's a little bit juvenile, but it's simple and it's timeless.

We let it be known that Schnorkles, for a snack, eats tiny pieces of shit.

You're picturing it and you're talking about it. That's a win in my book.

mastershakeman posted:

There won't be anymore manufacturing backlog. Anecdotally, Pfizer is fully planning on moving into bi-annual strain boosters for at least the next couple of years. The fact that the FDA is willing to budge so easily on boosters makes me think that we're gonna new way of doing things while COVID is doing its thing.

Endemic COVID here we come awoo *wolf howl*

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

Gonna arms race against COVID and hope we don't end up with a variant that causes everyone to poo poo themselves to death

Rubby
Aug 31, 2002

<3 Louby

UFOTacoMan posted:

Hell yeah, just walked by a dude in the office who was wearing a Sturgis shirt.

My good man, don't leave that workplace aggression unchecked. You need a Respirator shirt to answer back! :capitalism:

dew worm
Apr 20, 2019

everything sucks

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Lmao

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Mr Hootington posted:

Let me choke to death if this happens to me.

there's no value in your nuts anyway dude, do like elsa and let'em go.

local military hospital banned me from FB posting because I asked if their ICU was in overflow like all the other hospitals in the area :lol:

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

My guess is that the safety profiles for boosters are fully done and it coincides with the goon experience so they're going to move forward with it regardless.

Zmej
Nov 6, 2005

Platystemon posted:

She was in her ninth day of symptoms on the twenty‐first and brunched on the twenty‐fifth

Bruch day minus three had this update:

That’s improvement and the third and final bullet point met. By current CDC guidance, she was good to go.

The CDC is dumber than GBS.
lol reposting her responses because they were pure gold (I think people found some more great quotes in the old thread after this one):

Zmej posted:

great things happening in the gbs thread:

quote:

I left the house for the first time today since my breakthrough infection (except for leaving to get the test). Had brunch, it felt nice. I wore my mask going in and out of the restaurant despite it being optional. Not loving taking any chances anymore.
a concerned citizen posted:
"And weren't you still symptomatic (albeit starting to feel better) literally two days ago?"

quote:

There's no real way to know but I'm following the CDC guidance and yes I know how loving flawed that is. But I also think it's mildly insane to expect me to sit in the house for the 90 days it could take for me to test negative when I've been vaccinated and wearing a mask except for when I'm eating.
I get that, and you're not wrong. I did have a little bit of sniffles a couple of days ago, and I do remember posting about feeling out of breath yesterday, but today I feel pretty normal, and we are still social distancing and eating outdoors here. So perhaps it was too soon, yes, but I feel okay that I stayed away from people except for my spouse, and kept my face covered around everyone else.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
gently caress, just found out one of our vent patients is actually a breakthrough case. Open Biden!!

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

External Organs posted:

gently caress, just found out one of our vent patients is actually a breakthrough case. Open Biden!!

curious, did they have any pre-existing conditions?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

“Look, we can’t tell them to get safe and effective medicine that costs the government almost twenty dollars till enough of them drop dead to give us ninety-five percent confidence that it’s absolutely mecessary.”

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Zmej posted:

lol reposting her responses because they were pure gold (I think people found some more great quotes in the old thread after this one):

You missed the second half of this quote

quote:

There's no real way to know but I'm following the CDC guidance and yes I know how loving flawed that is. But I also think it's mildly insane to expect me to sit in the house for the 90 days it could take for me to test negative when I've been vaccinated and wearing a mask except for when I'm eating. It's a calculated risk given what (little, admittedly) we know about viruses and how/when they are likely to spread. I've been assured by medical professionals I know that the likelihood of spreading this at this point is low to nothing, especially if those around me are vaccinated. Again, imperfect data, but I'm doing what is, to the best of our knowledge, what is appropriate to keep myself and others safe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apr 7, 2003

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

there's no value in your nuts anyway dude, do like elsa and let'em go.

local military hospital banned me from FB posting because I asked if their ICU was in overflow like all the other hospitals in the area :lol:

Reassuring