Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

pigz posted:

So I just got a call about enrolling my daughter in a study opening here for the Pfizer vaccine. Shots aren't for two weeks. I'm kind of shocked.

I'm assuming this was from the recent expansion pfizer and moderna announced. I had submitted info when I heard the FDA was wanting more data and it would be longer that was back in like June. But the fact they aren't even doing shots here until September for an announced expansion in like late June early July is really concerning to me. What is going on?

For now I've enrolled her and we'll see before she gets her shot what they say about un-blinding at EUA when it happens before study conclusion (26 months lol).

Awesome! Curious to hear what they say about unblinding. And similarly concerned about the apparent lack of haste in the pediatric trials and the EUA process. Just had a minor meltdown in the D&D thread pointing out that at this point it looks like most kids in the US are going to get infected by delta before they even have the chance to get vaccinated.

Tried unsuccessfully to get my kids enrolled in every trial within driving distance back in May/June, then even a few more after the announcement they were expanding the trials. Hearing you were contacted is honestly good news as it suggests there might still be some hope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

sonatinas posted:

first year of daycare sucks for parents from all the poo poo you get from the kid but COVID respects that

real cool vibes from Covid-19
i still can't believe some of the parents i know that just continue to deny that covid will hit them
DON'T YOU REMEMBER GETTING ALL THE COLDS AND BUGS AND BULLSHIT FROM WHEN WE SENT OUR KIDS TO DAYCARE??? YOU THINK COVID IS JUST GOING TO BE LIKE "NAH I RESPECT YOUR BOUNDARIES"!?!? you loving god drat morons

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Tzen posted:

i still can't believe some of the parents i know that just continue to deny that covid will hit them
DON'T YOU REMEMBER GETTING ALL THE COLDS AND BUGS AND BULLSHIT FROM WHEN WE SENT OUR KIDS TO DAYCARE??? YOU THINK COVID IS JUST GOING TO BE LIKE "NAH I RESPECT YOUR BOUNDARIES"!?!? you loving god drat morons

It’s the world’s most polite pathogen.

We ought to investigate Canada as its point of origin.

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

mastershakeman posted:

Like 10 million team blue yuppies sent their kids to daycare/Pre-K/pods/summer camp for the last 18 months and completely dodged the bullet, so they'll do it again this year since the parents are vaxxed now. They don't even recognize they got lucky; approximately none of the kids were wearing kf94s

bowser
Apr 7, 2007

Americans getting booster shots when most of the world is still waiting for their first dose in the same week that they abandon their interpreters and support staff in Afghanistan, both owing due to compounding poor leadership decisions across both parties *takes breath* is a great preview of how the climate change response will look.

pigz
Jul 12, 2004

Nearly as overlooked as Joe Mauer

Nocturtle posted:

Awesome! Curious to hear what they say about unblinding. And similarly concerned about the apparent lack of haste in the pediatric trials and the EUA process. Just had a minor meltdown in the D&D thread pointing out that at this point it looks like most kids in the US are going to get infected by delta before they even have the chance to get vaccinated.

Tried unsuccessfully to get my kids enrolled in every trial within driving distance back in May/June, then even a few more after the announcement they were expanding the trials. Hearing you were contacted is honestly good news as it suggests there might still be some hope.

This location has been listed since early summer and I applied immediately when I saw it and again when FDA announced 'longer timeline', which was a few days before the expanded study news. Lady on phone said they just got approval and funding. I warned them that they should get shots going asap with school cases having gone: partial first week 50-> second week 250-> third week data on Friday. Just need my kid to make it to first shot and roll lucky.

She did say they would likely unblind at EUA but they haven't committed to it. We'll see what the docs say at the appointment. Seems if they are this late getting expansion going hard to believe there will be an EUA before years end.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006

bowser posted:

Americans getting booster shots when most of the world is still waiting for their first dose in the same week that they abandon their interpreters and support staff in Afghanistan, both owing due to compounding poor leadership decisions across both parties *takes breath* is a great preview of how the climate change response will look.

Now do the same - but for Aliens visiting us

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

"Attendees urged to come to the State Fair on lower-volume weekdays, seek COVID-19 testing after event." Uhh, maybe if people need to get tested after attending your event you shouldn't hold it... :psyduck:

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
The only posts in the D&D thread are C-SPAM posting pointing out totally obvious things and D&D posters being pendantic assholes in response. I'm pretty sure if nobody from C-SPAM stopped by that thread would get zero posts.

Also MadJackal claiming that Cuban doctors are slaves, which is something that popped up in the GBS thread a few weeks ago to so I guess that's a thing somebody is pushing.

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

lol for anyone that got a J&J vaccine, no booster for you

quote:

The calls and emails about Covid-19 boosters have already started coming in to Dr. William Schaffner’s medical center in Nashville, Tennessee.

It started last week, when the US Food and Drug Administration and US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention recommended an additional dose for certain immunocompromised people who had been given the Moderna or Pfizer/BioNTech vaccines.

Biden administration expected to advise Covid booster shots for most Americans
Then, on Monday, Biden administration officials said they are working on a plan to recommend more Americans get a booster about eight months after being fully vaccinated with the Pfizer or Moderna vaccines. The question will be addressed during a White House Covid-19 briefing on Wednesday.

But nearly 14 million fully vaccinated people in the United States didn’t get one of those mRNA vaccines. They got the single-dose shot from Johnson & Johnson, and so far, they are not a part of this booster conversation.

“Our J&J patients have not been overlooked or neglected. It’s just the way the data are coming in,” said Schaffner, a professor in the Division of Infectious Diseases at Vanderbilt University Medical Center.

For J&J vaccine patients who are calling and emailing about boosters, he is telling them to wait.

“You can’t make good recommendations without the data,” he said.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/08/17/health/johnson-covid-booster-wait-wellness/index.html

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

bowser posted:

So, what you're saying is that everything will be fine with climate change as long as we move everyone to Iowa?

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

superspread, safely

Serf
May 5, 2011

Notahippie posted:

Yes, but that's hosed up and worth calling out as hosed up.

calling it out without naming the real problem (capitalism) is pretty useless imo

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

the USA didn’t abandon people in Afghanistan

it’s liberals in media going crazy

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
so, it turns out that when (pfizer) booster shot side effects hit, they hit like a loving truck

my body wasnt ready

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Mr.Radar posted:

"Attendees urged to come to the State Fair on lower-volume weekdays, seek COVID-19 testing after event." Uhh, maybe if people need to get tested after attending your event you shouldn't hold it... :psyduck:

16 loving months in to this thing and people making decisions still think that it is possible to meet in the middle about masking by saying they are "encouraged but not required". No you loving assholes. That does not in any way address the concerns of the people wearing masks and is a complete caving to the anti mask fuckheads.

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Thoguh posted:

The only posts in the D&D thread are C-SPAM posting pointing out totally obvious things and D&D posters being pendantic assholes in response. I'm pretty sure if nobody from C-SPAM stopped by that thread would get zero posts.

Also MadJackal claiming that Cuban doctors are slaves, which is something that popped up in the GBS thread a few weeks ago to so I guess that's a thing somebody is pushing.

well that falcon guy is still posting hella poo poo from here last i checked including people’s face mask pics as his own lol :shrug:

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Testvan posted:

this turd got updated today

here is the earliest one with a Aug 15 prediction:

lmao

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Better wait six more months while the pandemic rages until there is time to collect more data and not act swiftly on the side of caution. We can't do anything hastily.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

pigz posted:

She did say they would likely unblind at EUA but they haven't committed to it. We'll see what the docs say at the appointment. Seems if they are this late getting expansion going hard to believe there will be an EUA before years end.

Medical ethics mean that they have to let your kid get the shot when it’s available under EUA, even if it is to the detriment of their ongoing study.

If they do not automatically unblind when EUA is granted, call your study contact and tell them you have an appointment to get Pigz Junior a shot. They’ll unblind then.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

did anyone look up info on Covid 1 through Covid 18?

maybe we could have learned something

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I've gotten several of these. I'm a biostatistician lol

Only registered members can see post attachments!

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

euphronius posted:

did anyone look up info on Covid 1 through Covid 18?

maybe we could have learned something

we are doing exactly what we did for all of those right now actually

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I love that the vaccines last like 6 months

jfc

pigz
Jul 12, 2004

Nearly as overlooked as Joe Mauer

Platystemon posted:

Medical ethics mean that they have to let your kid get the shot when it’s available under EUA, even if it is to the detriment of their ongoing study.

If they do not automatically unblind when EUA is granted, call your study contact and tell them you have an appointment to get Pigz Junior a shot. They’ll unblind then.

Yeah I figured as much. I'd still like to hear all that directly and how it relates to getting shots in arms a few weeks before most US parents are hoping for a EUA to appear.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

"We're going to make you more miserable instead of helping out people that need it"

Liberalism.txt

Destroy My Sweater
Jul 24, 2009

Goddammit lol

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

That is so so dumb given the very positive AZ+mRNA antibody measurements linked previously. I get that public health authorities have to be evidence based, but surely it's ok to look at evidence from other countries and interpolate a little when in the middle of a pandemic. Plus so few people got vaccianted with JJ in the end that the results will take even longer.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

I hate the “more science is needed” thought-terminating cliche.

“We can’t give you a life jacket because they have’t been tested on capricorns.”

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Right now as we speak NPR has some ding dong on saying that kids can’t handle isolation anymore and that we can do school safely because “the weather is good” and “we can change how we do business”

It’s happening again lmao

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Halloween will not be cancelled this year

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

Thoguh posted:

Better wait six more months while the pandemic rages until there is time to collect more data and not act swiftly on the side of caution. We can't do anything hastily.

a fun retrospective would be a visualization of how much data other vaccines have been approved on compared to all the poo poo we have with these and how we aren’t doing anything.

make sure u get boosted to poo poo for shingles but uhhh a deadly pandemic? let’s just wait this one out

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Right now as we speak NPR has some ding dong on saying that kids can’t handle isolation anymore and that we can do school safely because “the weather is good” and “we can change how we do business”

It’s happening again lmao

ah, can’t wait for all the local news coverage about kids committing suicide because schools are being shut down again

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Thoguh posted:

i think the best representation of d&d was from a few days ago. someone, presumably a d&d Smart Person, asked, “why is the US response so bad??” and the first person to answer blamed fptp voting.

a helpful bear
Aug 18, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

it’s fine his body is incapable of passing a ball, let alone covid to someone else.

lmao

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/NBCNightlyNews/status/1392981738993946624?s=20

Remembering some of the hits

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Iron Crowned posted:

Halloween will not be cancelled this year

it wasn't last year

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

gently caress it, I'm going to Safeway on my lunch break to try to get my 'first' shot of Moderna.

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

lol from the start everything having to do with j&j has been an utter failure

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

that was only 3 months ago lmao