Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Fate Accomplice posted:

TIL Greg Abbott's used a wheelchair since 1986 and has been paid $9M since then as part of a lawsuit against the homeowner and tree care company after a tree fell on him while he was jogging at age 26.

$5000/month since 1986 increasing at 4%/year, plus lump sums every 3 years.

all tax free too

Don’t forget that he has since then taken measures to prevent other people for suing for the exact kind of accident that he got a fat payout for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

metachronos posted:

He also voted against a statewide ban on bestiality.

I suppose that I should be surprised that such a bill was even needed, but... 2021.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

God couldn't completely save Abbott from the oak tree so who knows how bad she'll let him get covid.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme
Abbott reportedly went the Max Titers route and got a booster shot. Hopefully it was extremely recently.

Purgatory Glory
Feb 20, 2005

This was really good.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Weka posted:

Anyway I just popped in to ask about masks, seeing as I have to think about this now and would rather not wade through whatever misinformation can be found in a google search. What is the latest on cloth masks? How about face shields?

Cloth masks are woeful. If public health authorities get everyone to wear them, they have a decent effect on suppressing outbreaks, but for personal protection they leave a lot to be desired.

In New Zealand you could probably get away with them, but you could also spend eight yours a day licking doorknobs and not get COVID. The mask is protecting you far less than the sheer rarity of the virus in your country.

Inept posted:

get a KF94, N95, KN95 or FFP2 rated mask. No idea which of those you can easily get in NZ or if there's a bunch of counterfeits

This is the way.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

https://www.covid-datascience.com/post/israeli-data-how-can-efficacy-vs-severe-disease-be-strong-when-60-of-hospitalized-are-vaccinated

Seems interesting, but I'm currently too tired to read it in detail, here's the conclusion:

quote:

Conclusion

In conclusion, as long as there is a major age disparity in vaccination rates, with older individuals being more highly vaccinated, then the fact that older people have an inherently higher risk of hospitalization when infected with a respiratory virus means that it is always important to stratify results by age; if not the overall efficacy will be biased downwards and a poor representation of how well the vaccine is working in preventing serious disease (the same holds for efficacy vs. death).

Even more fundamentally, it is important to use infection and disease rates (per 100k, e.g.) and not raw counts to compare unvaccinated and vaccinated groups to adjust for the proportion vaccinated. Use of raw counts exaggerates the vaccine efficacy when vaccinated proportion is low and attenuates the vaccine efficacy when, like in Israel, vaccines proportions are high.

This is not just an issue of making vaccines look worse than they are ... any summary computing "proportion of hospitalized that are unvaccinated" that covers a period of time in which the proportion vaccinated was low can be similarly misleading, especially if there was a massive Covid-19 surge during that time periods. For example, computing total proportion of hospitalized covid infections in the USA from unvaccinated individuals while aggregating over the entire 2021 (January to present), a time periods that includes the early months in which virtually all USA residents were unvaccinated and there was a massive winter surge, will be similarly misleading. Thus, these artifacts can be used by some to make the vaccines look better than they in fact are, e.g. any report suggesting things like 99.9% of hospitalizations are from unvaccinated when covering a long period of time like this.

The bottom line is there is very strong evidence that the vaccines have high efficacy protecting against severe disease, even for Delta, and even in these Israeli data that on the surface appear to suggest the Pfizer vaccine might have waning efficacy. This is clearly evident if the data are analyzed carefully, and agrees with all other published results to date from other countries.

By the way, earlier reports on vaccinated cases at Israeli hospitals when there were 152 hospitalized breakthrough infections showed that a full 40% of these cases were immunocompromised, and 96% had co-morbidities including hypertension (71%), diabetes (48%), congestive heart failure (27%), chronic kidney and lung diseases (24% each), dementia (19%) and cancer (24%). Thus, there have been virtually no serious breakthrough Delta infections in Israel for individuals without significant pre-existing conditions.

Similar effects could be lurking in other variables and settings, e.g. if people who have particular jobs like health care workers both have (1) higher vaccination rates and (2) higher probability of exposure to SARS-CoV-2, then this phenomenon could similarly bias the overall efficacy vs. infection numbers if results not stratified by these factors that might differentially affect the probability of exposure. This comes into play especially when assessing whether vaccine efficacy vs. infection wanes over time, given that in most countries the subset of young people who were vaccinated early are nearly all HCW who also have disproportionally high exposures to SARS-CoV-2 and thus higher probabilities of infection than the younger people vaccinated later who are not HCW or other "essential personnel" prioritized for early vaccination.

With real-world observational data, we always need to think carefully about factors like these when trying to assess vaccine efficacy against infection, severe disease, or death.

As a result, we should be wary of any claims that simply report raw counts or overall efficacy figures without stratification, and we need to look to careful data analyses from published papers that take these factors into account using available statistical methods for causal inference, transparently described in detail, if we want an accurate sense of the potential causal effect of vaccines.

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Platystemon posted:

Cloth masks are woeful. If public health authorities get everyone to wear them, they have a decent effect on suppressing outbreaks, but for personal protection they leave a lot to be desired.

In New Zealand you could probably get away with them, but you could also spend eight yours a day licking doorknobs and not get COVID. The mask is protecting you far less than the sheer rarity of the virus in your country.

This is the way.

I'm vaccinated so I'm mostly concerned about other people. I understand I'm very likely to be asymptomatic if I catch it.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Weka posted:

I'm vaccinated so I'm mostly concerned about other people. I understand I'm very likely to be asymptomatic if I catch it.

Well the gap is smaller for cloth facial coverings versus rated masks, but rated masks are still way better at protecting others.

KF94, N95, KN95, FFP2 or P2, when worn properly, are drat near one hundred percent for protecting others, or in technical parlance, “source control”

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

https://twitter.com/NBCLA/status/1427498520513327131?s=20

Finally the US obsession with guns will pay dividends

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
Thanks y'all for your help it's saved me hours.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

latinotwink1997 posted:

So what’s their long term strategy here? Delta/covid is really never going away now. Unless NZ intends to never let foreigners in, they’ll have to deal with it at some time. Unless they’re banking on a vaccine coming out that unequivocally protects all people. Or are they going to lock down every time someone is infected?

In the time it took you to think up and then type up all those wild spurious guesses you could have just googled it and found the actual answer.

quote:

New Zealand Outlines COVID-19 Plan to Reconnect with World

SYDNEY - New Zealand Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern has said her government will continue to pursue its ambitious COVID-19 elimination strategy indefinitely. On Thursday, she outlined a cautious and staged approach to reopening the country’s borders to some foreign travelers early next year.

New Zealand, which has some of the toughest COVID-19 controls in the world, closed its borders to most foreign nationals in March of last year. The closure is part of a strategy to eliminate the virus that also includes strict lockdowns and mandatory hotel quarantine for New Zealanders returning from overseas.

The borders will remain closed for the rest of this year, and their reopening depends on the success of New Zealand’s vaccination rollout. The government said this would represent a shift from the “collective armor” of travel restrictions to the “individual armor” of inoculations.

No timetable has been set, but it is likely that next year, vaccinated visitors from low-risk countries -- those considered to have COVID-19 under control -- will not have to go into hotel quarantine in New Zealand. Unvaccinated travelers and all visitors from high-risk countries would face a mandatory 14-day hotel isolation.

Ardern said it’s a cautious approach.

“We cannot keep borders restrictions on forever, and to be absolutely clear, we do not want to do that, and neither do the experts we talk to,” she said. “Border closures were only ever a temporary measure in order to keep COVID out before vaccine was developed and administered. So long as the scientific evidence shows we can safely transition from a border defense to the individual armor of the vaccine, then that is the direction we will go.”

Later this year New Zealand will test home isolation or shorter stays in hotel quarantine for selected travelers, including workers sent overseas by local businesses.

The national vaccination program will also be accelerated, with everyone ages 16 or over eligible for their first vaccine dose starting Sept. 1.

About 20% of New Zealanders are fully vaccinated.

The South Pacific nation has recorded about 3,000 coronavirus cases and 26 deaths since the pandemic began.

A quarantine-free travel corridor with Australia, which opened in April, has been suspended because of delta variant outbreaks in Sydney and Melbourne.

HellOnEarth
Nov 7, 2005

Now that's good jerky!
Ontario just announced booster shots for transplant recipients, so that's pretty good news for me. I haven't been to my apartment in a year and a half. I mean, I'm still planning on wearing a full p100 filter full-mask respirator when I need to take the subway regardless but that's also just so people will think I'm crazy and not talk to me.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
Is there any evidence of difference in incidence of long covid with the delta variant?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
San Diego school board of supervisors public meeting about covid precautions got pretty spicy

https://twitter.com/i/status/1427778046996611073

Click thru for LOTS more like that

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

San Diego school board of supervisors public meeting about covid precautions got pretty spicy

There’s a nasty asymmetry in all this wrt public meetings. The denialists are happy to show up in person in huge numbers to express their views, while any remotely reasonable person is hunkering down at home and will simply send an email to the school board before moving on.

That said, the internet has clearly broken the brains of untold millions and I weep for the future.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Zugzwang posted:

There’s a nasty asymmetry in all this wrt public meetings. The denialists are happy to show up in person in huge numbers to express their views, while any remotely reasonable person is hunkering down at home and will simply send an email to the school board before moving on.

Yeah I posted some CRAZY stuff from a similar school board meeting earlier in the thread and it was super obvious that the public gallery was 100% enraged anti-vax/anti-mask chuds but they still ended up losing the vote on the school mask mandates because there were simply a lot more pro-mask parents who'd sent their votes in via email.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I also suspect quite a few of these people don't have kids much less ones attending the schools in question

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
Ironic that the “save the children!” Q weirdos are vigorously opposing the best measures we have for saving the children.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost

Barudak posted:

I also suspect quite a few of these people don't have kids much less ones attending the schools in question

lol the main guy yelling at medical professionals in that Tennessee school board meeting has no children

Decon
Nov 22, 2015

Zugzwang posted:

Ironic that the “save the children!” Q weirdos are vigorously opposing the best measures we have for saving the children.

Yeah but the simple explanations that vaccines and masks reduce the spread of a deadly virus doesn't make them feel like heroes in some poo poo tier political/action thriller quite like contrived, anti-scientific bullshit dies.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

My local school district just said no mask mandate for the upcoming school year, then opened up an online forum for people to discuss it.

95% of the comments are "You should make the kids wear masks, you're just going to shut down in 2 weeks anyway."

However, the 5% of people against masks include such gems as:

"GOOD! My kids need clean air, and masks just give you BAD air." - from a chiropractor
"If you're scared just keep your kids home FOREVER" - from an old man
"My son gets headaches everytime he needs to wear a mask, kids can't do this all day." - from a stay at home mom
"My question is, when does this end? When we do stop the masks and vaccinations? What is the end point here?" - from a guy who admitted he has no kids

ROBON WOLOMS
Aug 14, 2021

by Hand Knit
https://twitter.com/jerrysaltz/status/1427815061394006021

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

In the time it took you to think up and then type up all those wild spurious guesses you could have just googled it and found the actual answer.

You could give that response to most of the questions here. Posting here, I’m practically guaranteed to find an answer from other more informed individuals, google means clicking a bunch of links and reading articles in hopes I find what I’m looking for. That takes more than the 20 seconds it took to “think up and type” what I did.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

I don't get these modern indy wrestling promos.

ROBON WOLOMS
Aug 14, 2021

by Hand Knit

goddamnedtwisto posted:

aha i love this response

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

Oh! The neighboring school district!

Hamburlgar
Dec 31, 2007

WANTED

Nooooo loving way.

That lunatic is @liquidearth_glass on Instagram. Check out his page for more hilarity/lunacy.

Full-blown lunatic glassblower. Holy tucking poo poo.

Also, how do I save that video?!

Hamburlgar fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Aug 18, 2021

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Gonna wrassle the heck outta Cow-vid 19 this weekend

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2021/08/18/texas-couple-declined-covid-19-vaccine-died-orphans/

Making your kids orphans because you trusted facebook over medical professionals.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 26 days!
^^^ Can you copy/paste? I'm getting paywalled. tia ^^^

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Zugzwang posted:

They do not and never have cared about children. It was entirely about hatred, not compassion, even imaginary. It was about pretending that all their political enemies are child molesters. It was creating a fantasy situation not so they could be concerned about imaginary children, but so they could be outraged about imaginary crimes.

compshateme85
Jan 28, 2009

Oh you like racoons? Name three of their songs. You dope.
This is fun

Deathsantis in practice

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Me in my PPE standing over the antivaxxers

https://twitter.com/beeple/status/1427990297565347843?s=20

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

except I'm fat but whatever

Anyway...
https://twitter.com/BadMedicalTakes/status/1428069686999138307?s=20

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

We don't have "fat" because they changed the name of the disease to make it LOOK like the exercise/dieting had done anything.

Go ahead, look it up. Just don't expect Google, Bing or any of the other search engines run by those who are profiting off this to give you answers.

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003
I got my 5G->6G upgrade today, the pharmacist was nice enough to come out to the parking lot and do it in the car since I live in a shithole state where nobody wears masks, even in a pharmacy. They asked what the cause of my immunosupression was and that was it.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

mom and dad fight a lot posted:

Here’s a gift article link: https://wapo.st/37Y8G3r

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

Beaten, but its sometimes good that MSN steals articles and just runs other sites pages through theirs.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/health/fa...ocid=uxbndlbing

Generally, if its WP and its paywalled, try searching for its title on bing with MSN in the box.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

I'll just save you the time. Antivax parents went to church camp, got Covid and died weeks apart. Begs their relatives to make their kids get the vaccine before they died.