Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beef Hardcheese
Jan 21, 2003

HOW ABOUT I LASH YOUR SHIT

Max Wilco posted:

• The other day I tried crafting (specifically weaving), and it's not quite what I was expecting. It comes across as a mix of luck and strategizing, where, if you're not going purely for basic construction, you have balance action points and item durability to try and get a high quality item. I think I got to Weaver Level 15 in a short amount of time (a couple of hours). I was loaded up on Lightning Crystals through previous quests or something, but I had to buy the other materials. I wasn't sure what to do with most of the items, so I just sold them at one of NPC vendors. I imagine you have to get to a pretty high level before you can start making stuff that you (or other people) would really want. I think I also need to find/learn the Gather trade to collect stuff for it so it isn't as much of a money drain.

For this in particular, keep an eye out for when your class quest asks for a high quality item and check out how much those items go for on the Market Board. I've made some extra gil (not a ton, mind you) making and selling extra HQ Horn Staffs (Goldsmith level 40 quest) or a stack of 20 HQ Electrum Ore (Mining level 45 quest). You don't have to actually craft/gather the items to fulfill the quest requirements, and sometimes people (like myself) would rather run over to the Market Board and just buy 10 HQ Marjoram (Botany level 15 quest) than spend the time doing the crafting/gathering. I'm already feeling that itch as a sprout, I can only imagine how someone who's been playing for years, is sitting on millions of gil, and only just finally getting around to grinding out the last couple of crafting classes might feel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe

Xerophyte posted:

One mnemonic trick for NIN mudras is that it only matters that you don't repeat and what ability you end on. For instance 3-2 & 1-2 are the same, 1-3-2 & 3-1-2 are the same, etc. At least I found it easier to remember that haste is a 3-hit combo ending in 1, aoe is a 2-hit ending in 1, and so on than memorizing specific combos.

I always see this but does anyone actually mix up their Raitons from Ten-Chi to Jin-Chi, or just always do it the same way? I find it way easier to remember "1-2 = Raiton" than "1-2 OR 3-2 = Raiton". But maybe that's a quirk with my memory, not other people's.

Similarly, having the two most important ninjutsu as 3-2-1 (Huton/Jin-Chi-Ten) and 1-2-3 (Suiton/Ten-Chi-Jin) makes a lot of sense to just drill into muscle memory. Especially with TCJ (the cooldown)'s optimal single target being Ten-Chi-Jin.

derra
Dec 29, 2012
Play on a controller, but Ten is literally Heaven so it goes on top, Chi is Earth on the bottom, and Jin is man between the two.

Inputting Raiton is literally a lightning bolt striking from the clouds, Katon a blaze rising to the heavens. The 3 mudra ninjitsu end with air on the top, ground aoe on the bottom, and a wave flooding from the side.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

acumen posted:

I always see this but does anyone actually mix up their Raitons from Ten-Chi to Jin-Chi, or just always do it the same way? I find it way easier to remember "1-2 = Raiton" than "1-2 OR 3-2 = Raiton". But maybe that's a quirk with my memory, not other people's.

Similarly, having the two most important ninjutsu as 3-2-1 (Huton/Jin-Chi-Ten) and 1-2-3 (Suiton/Ten-Chi-Jin) makes a lot of sense to just drill into muscle memory. Especially with TCJ (the cooldown)'s optimal single target being Ten-Chi-Jin.

You need to be able to do it both ways later on.
There's an lvl 70 ability (Ten Chi Jin) that lets you activate 3 ninjutsus in a row by pressing each mudra once.
First one activate lvl 1 ninjutsu, 2nd mudra activates 2 mudra-combination and final activates 3 mudra-combination.
So you can activate Raiton as part of Ten (Fuma shuriken), Chi (Raiton), Jin (Suiton) OR Jin (Fuma shuriken) Chi (Raiton), Ten (Huton) combination.
Same goes for all other 2-3 mudra combinations.

Or I can activate the Rabbit of Shame, because I totally pressed that ninjutsu button, I swear.
I have Ten, Chi, Jin on Z, X, C, under my movement WASD-buttons. Ninjutsu is V, Kassatsu B and Ten Chi Jin is Q.

Issaries fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Aug 18, 2021

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

derra posted:

Play on a controller, but Ten is literally Heaven so it goes on top, Chi is Earth on the bottom, and Jin is man between the two.

Inputting Raiton is literally a lightning bolt striking from the clouds, Katon a blaze rising to the heavens. The 3 mudra ninjitsu end with air on the top, ground aoe on the bottom, and a wave flooding from the side.

I might need to rotate my mudras when I go back to playing Ninja, that might help me track it in my head (have the ninjitsu button on the top slot of the mudra cross cluster currently). Nice tip.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank
My 3-button mudras are indeed in random order, since the only thing I remember about them is what button I'm ending on. Maybe not Suiton so often since 123 is a natural finger order, but for Huton and Doton I'm not at all consistent.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe

adhuin posted:

You need to be able to do it both ways later on.
There's an lvl 70 ability (Ten Chi Jin) that lets you activate 3 ninjutsus in a row by pressing each mudra once.
First one activate lvl 1 ninjutsu, 2nd mudra activates 2 mudra-combination and final activates 3 mudra-combination.
So you can activate Raiton as part of Ten (Fuma shuriken), Chi (Raiton), Jin (Suiton) OR Jin (Fuma shuriken) Chi (Raiton), Ten (Huton) combination.
Same goes for all other 2-3 mudra combinations.

Or I can activate the Rabbit of Shame, because I totally pressed that ninjutsu button, I swear.

This is what I was referring to with TCJ at the end of my comment. TCJ is basically just a single target (Suiton progression or 1-2-3 for me) or aoe (Doton progression or 3-1-2 for me). I guess you could Katon-Suiton (2-1-3) if you're not gonna have time for Doton, but that seems kinda niche to the point where I'd rather just build up proper muscle memory over eking out a little but of optimization. And even then, I think I'd find it easier to remember this as "do 2-1-3 for aoe without Doton". Brains weird I guess.

Xerophyte posted:

My 3-button mudras are indeed in random order, since the only thing I remember about them is what button I'm ending on. Maybe not Suiton so often since 123 is a natural finger order, but for Huton and Doton I'm not at all consistent.

But muscle memory :negative:

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I have conditioned myself to remember mudras by two factors: number of inputs and terminating mudra.

1 = Fuma shuriken
2Ten = Katon
2Chi = Raiton
2Jin = Hyoton
3Ten = Huton
3Chi = Doton
3Jin = Suiton

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

acumen posted:

If you're prone to fat fingering, it's nice to be able to adjust and hopefully salvage what you were going for. Like I might be going for 123 but accidentally hit 2 first, so it make take me a half second to adjust but at least I know I can still go to 213 and get what I wanted initially.

That's just hypothetical though because the reality is I panic and either use the wrong spell, get a bunny from pressing random buttons afterward, or die to mechanics trying to figure out how to get to the right spell

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Sometimes my fingers get ahead of my brain and I hit the wrong one first, so knowing based on the ending is helpful. And if I start on the one I want to end on, then I can just use something else that does damage, better to do less damage than get the shame rabbit. But then I'm a lunatic who has ten on F, chi on G, and jin on shift+F.

It's nice to be able to hit them while moving, and it's burned into my muscle memory at this point so I can't change :v:

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

I remember seeing one of the Stormblood NIN job quests talk about a forbidden fourth mudra and thought, "oh, that would be cool" until I considered what it would mean for my keybinds and muscle memory and YIKES

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia
I wish they could just wrap up the 1-2-3 combos into one button like they do in PvP. They're just taking up real estate on my hot bar.

The only thing to come of them being separate is that I occasionally hit the wrong button and ruin it.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

There's a mod for that if you want it, but the devs have said they're against bringing it to PVE themselves.

g-c
Dec 10, 2006

Say cheese
all i want to do is play this game all the time

there's not enough time

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

g-c posted:

all i want to do is play this game all the time

there's not enough time

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Zurtilik posted:

I wish they could just wrap up the 1-2-3 combos into one button like they do in PvP. They're just taking up real estate on my hot bar.

The only thing to come of them being separate is that I occasionally hit the wrong button and ruin it.

Oh god please don't bring this cursed argument into this thread

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.
How do people do the daily grand company turn ins? Even if I hop on right after work they’re not looking for resources anymore

Bragon
Apr 7, 2010

God drat WHM turned from boring to good at 45 (holy), to actual fun through the 50s picking up some actual good tools

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Lady Radia posted:

How do people do the daily grand company turn ins? Even if I hop on right after work they’re not looking for resources anymore

Grand Company turn-ins are specific to you, as long as you have the crafting class unlocked (and are at least a Private Third Class) it will be available

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

Piell posted:

Grand Company turn-ins are specific to you, as long as you have the crafting class unlocked (and are at least a Private Third Class) it will be available

Oh, so since I only have miner and blacksmith that’s why it’s so sparse. Now I feel dumb. I take it the rewards increase a ton as you craft more difficult items?

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me

acumen posted:

I'm with you. I play on controller so it's all internalized to me through the buttons, e.g. Raiton is always X-Square. Suiton/Huton are just running up or down the button path (X-Square-Triangle or Triangle-Square-X).

As others have said, it's good to be aware of what your options are should you flub an input and need to recover. But 99% of the time I'm just executing my pre-chosen, muscle-memorized input for each jutsu.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

https://twitter.com/oryzamercury/status/1427754327548960771?s=21

derra
Dec 29, 2012

Lady Radia posted:

Oh, so since I only have miner and blacksmith that’s why it’s so sparse. Now I feel dumb. I take it the rewards increase a ton as you craft more difficult items?

Yes, the items and rewards scale with your level.

Sixto Lezcano
Jul 11, 2007

Jesus Christ that’s a good edit

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Lady Radia posted:

Piell posted:

FYI once you get a grand company it's always worth it to check out the prices on the item turn-ins. I went up 4 levels of fishing by turning in a HQ Silver Shark that I bought for 900 gil

You get double rewards from turning in a HQ item, fyi

Piell fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Aug 18, 2021

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Zurtilik posted:

that would still have problems once you get Armor Crush, you'd have to be very careful to only hit the button exactly 2 times

Sunday Morning
Apr 7, 2007

Easy
Smellrose
Something that should be mentioned about GC turn ins. The turn in is chosen for you at the daily reset so if you are going to do a turn in you should do that before any other leveling of that job. So say you are really low level at the start of the day ie lvl 5, if you level up to 20 or something, your turn in will still be like some copper ore and the xp will be tiny. Do your turn ins first to get a chunk of xp and then do any other leveling for the day.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Zurtilik posted:

The devs have been asked about this. They factor in the difficulty of executing on the discrete combo actions and rotations during mechanics when tuning fights and it's a deliberate part of physical jobs they want to keep for PvE.

Whether or not you agree with that design decision there's no expectation it's ever going to change. They instead have shifted fairly dramatically over time towards in-place ability swaps as you level up and get traits so you don't end up with extra hotbar clutter from redundant skills.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
With that in mind, I'm actually pretty curious to see how much more complex the rotations are at 90. There's a clear difference between 50/60/70/80 but there's also gotta be an upper limit. Like will actual 90 raids be more mechanically simple than 80 raids, with the assumption that more brain space is used for a more involved rotation?

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

acumen posted:

With that in mind, I'm actually pretty curious to see how much more complex the rotations are at 90. There's a clear difference between 50/60/70/80 but there's also gotta be an upper limit. Like will actual 90 raids be more mechanically simple than 80 raids, with the assumption that more brain space is used for a more involved rotation?

They are like at the limit for the number of buttons that are reasonable to expect people to use for some classes, or close to it. That hard limit being the number of buttons you can get to with the controller, since this is still very much a console game.

So there will probably be either some light reworking of things (or major, for summoner) in order to fit new abilities in, or just have more upgrades/changes to how things work instead. Summoner is an interesting example, actually, it only got one new button in Shadowbringers, and even that only replaces an old button conditionally.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Honestly reasonable-to-hit keyboard hotkey combos may be the bigger limiter in terms of not making things too over the top; proper use of the expanded and wxhb hotbars on controller make it basically seamless to access 40 or 48 slots without weird button gymnastics.

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

Boy, you gotta carry that weight
Carry that weight a long time

love this but it's got 2.0 spoilers in it so i don't think it's a good fit for this specific thread

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

A Moose posted:

that would still have problems once you get Armor Crush, you'd have to be very careful to only hit the button exactly 2 times

Is that a concern with the MCH? I do know the combos can vary with some of the classes but the MCH one seems straightforward. I realize I never specified in my post.:S

The combos do seem like something that would be less annoying on a controller, maybe? Idk. As noted in this thread it doesn't seem likely to change and I don't even necessarily have a problem with the system. It's just annoying to me since there's already so many other buttons to press.

Zurtilik fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Aug 18, 2021

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
MCH is an easy 1-2-3 ya. I'm not sure how the auto combo mod works but you may even be able to one-button the heat blast/ricochet/gauss phase too? MCH is incredibly easy though, probably one of the lowest button counts.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

acumen posted:

I don't think it's as linear as you've implied. Many jobs have become easier to execute through expansions, not harder. There's definitely a difficulty spike as you level now, but if you compare HW DRK to ShB DRK, SB MCH to ShB, it gets a lot muddier. Plus while some jobs get another tool or button it doesn't necessarily translate to more difficulty - Red Mage got three new abilities from 71-80 (Scorch, Reprise, Engagement) and they actually make the job easier to play than it is at level 70.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Most jobs were at their most complicated in HW, and pretty much every job is simpler in ShB than they were in StB. That's not necessarily a bad thing, but I personally hope that it's not a trend that continues universally, especially at lower levels.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Yeah I think it's good to have a mix of complexities. It's always a bummer when the job you like for thematic/aesthetic reasons doesn't fit your playstyle, but ultimately having a variety is good. Like Reaper is almost definitely going to be the simplest of the melee dps, and I bet Sage will be around WHM levels of complexity.

nordichammer
Oct 11, 2013
What is the short ranking for complexity from most complex to least complex jobs?

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

nordichammer posted:

What is the short ranking for complexity from most complex to least complex jobs?

in general:

caster
melee
ranged
healer
tank

in specific:

black mage
ninja
summoner
monk
samurai
dragoon
red mage
machinist
bard
dancer
astrologian
scholar
white mage
gunbreaker
dark knight
paladin
warrior

everything can flip a couple places up or down depending on what specifically is hard for your brain to get around, and what level of content you're doing (healers get harder as the game gets harder), but i think this is about right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

nordichammer posted:

Yeah, I’m kind of wondering that myself.

Like, I dig Samurai starting out, but my impression from looking at the ability list is that you basically have to be using two hotbars simultaneously to manage both resource gauges.