Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

Lacrosse posted:

In line at Safeway for my booster. I gave them my real information because they require you show ID and they gave me a CDC card and told me to wait in line. Looks like I'm getting Pfizer. Kinda mad they didn't let me choose but eh fuckit. There's two people ahead of me getting jabbed before they call my name.

saame experience at cvs today, they didn't even ask for insurance but i just gave em my drivers license and that was it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slinkimalinki
Jan 17, 2010
Morning briefing from the NZ Director of Health and he's emphasising that everyone should get vaccinated as soon as they possibly can "to protect children, who can't get vaccinated yet"

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Nocturtle posted:

Yeah but how does your immune system know that when deciding how long to make antibodies? How does it make a similar decision when confronted with a novel virus? Such as a certain novel coronavirus.

Basically I find the large variation in antibody lifetimes, like those summarized in this table, really weird:

Who designed this system, I have issues.

gently caress, I'm gonna have to get another measles shot in 2,978 years?

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

literally should be in prison for this tweet alone

Rubby
Aug 31, 2002

<3 Louby

Strep Vote posted:

lovely phone pic, great shirt. Thank u rubby.

No, thank you!

Digging the keffiyeh look. I tried accessorizing with it a few times but decided that going unadorned is the most powerful look. The uneasy glances from strangers as you pass only makes the respirator stronger.

Der Meister
May 12, 2001

I’m wondering if Pfizer found some real elevated rates of myocarditis/pericarditis in kids and is just trying to dilute it out with more patients

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

Crunchy Black posted:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

mdemone posted:

measles isn't a fair comparison because it's extremely easy for your immune system to kill.

Reminder that measles was declared eliminated in the US in 2000 and from all the Americas in 2016 but international travelers keep bringing it back and there was a big outbreak in the US in 2019 because people had stopped vaxxing their kids
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Measles_resurgence_in_the_United_States

E: lol

quote:

The areas surrounding Vancouver, Washington, namely in Clark County, experienced an outbreak of measles in late 2018 and early 2019. The area was referred to as an "anti-vaccination hotspot" and the vaccination rate was 78%, which is too low for herd immunity.[23] Oregon had reported that four residents have contracted measles due to the outbreak in neighboring Clark County.[24]

As of April 2019, 74 confirmed cases of measles had been reported to the health department.[25] More than half of those who fell ill were under the age of 10, and 70 of them had not been vaccinated or had unknown vaccination status.[26] The remaining three people had received one dose of the measles vaccine.[12]

In response to the outbreak, Representative Paul Harris proposed a measure that would remove the ability for parents to refuse any of the required childhood vaccines for philosophical reasons, otherwise keeping medical and religious exemptions. The bill was later amended to limit exemptions for the measles, mumps, rubella vaccine (MMR) vaccine.[7] Children would not be allowed to attend public or private schools or day-care without evidence of vaccination or approved exemption documents. The bill was passed in April 2019.[27]

quote:

In April 2019, a state of emergency was declared in Rockland County, and unvaccinated children were barred from public places for 30 days. Parents of unvaccinated children that did not abide by this condition face up to six months in jail or a $500 fine.[34][31] A judge later lifted this ban, saying that the outbreak does not qualify for an emergency order.[35] That month, New York began considering legislation to join the seven states and Washington DC that allow children 14 years and older to seek vaccination without parental consent.[36]

In June 2019, New York State enacted a law repealing religious and philosophical exemptions for vaccination.[37] The association of the outbreak with the Jewish community led to a rise in instances of antisemitism being expressed in New York.[38]

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Aug 18, 2021

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Nocturtle posted:

Yeah but how does your immune system know that when deciding how long to make antibodies? How does it make a similar decision when confronted with a novel virus? Such as a certain novel coronavirus.

Basically I find the large variation in antibody lifetimes, like those summarized in this table, really weird:

Who designed this system, I have issues.

no one did. everything is random

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
Iowa hosed up with their anti mask mandate law and applied it to private schools as well

rich parents are just realizing this and are pissed lol

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Crunchy Black posted:

misinformation is fine if it gets people to go out and spend money

Der Meister
May 12, 2001

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Reminder that measles was declared eliminated in the US in 2000 and from all the Americas in 2016 but international travelers keep bringing it back and there was a big outbreak in the US in 2019 because people had stopped vaxxing their kids
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Measles_resurgence_in_the_United_States

yeah didn’t it spread at disneyland lol

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
by law, this is the best my school district can do

we are so hosed

text editor
Jan 8, 2007

ram dass in hell posted:

saame experience at cvs today, they didn't even ask for insurance but i just gave em my drivers license and that was it

from the pharmacist's side it's probably waaaay easier to bill one after another to the feds vs dicking with insurance each time

Forseti
May 26, 2001
To the lovenasium!

Jonny 290 posted:

this is a perfect analogy b/c this is america's covid response plan

Needs more 'merica imo

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Rubby
Aug 31, 2002

<3 Louby

In Training posted:

yeah I love doing a service job right now Lol.

sure would be nice if somebody extended unemployment or did literally anything!!!!!!

Rubby
Aug 31, 2002

<3 Louby

Forseti posted:

Needs more 'merica imo

What am I looking at here...

...oh. no. ...oh god no...

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

Yeah, I'm wondering if having only one variant circulating slows down the reinfection rates a bit. Prior to delta there were multiple circulating strains so resistance to one provides windows for others with a handful of different mutations to come in and infect someone instead. But with all of the other options squelched out, anything new has to sequentially mutate out of delta now. That being said, SARS-CoV-2 appears to mutate rapidly under the right selective pressures, and we've already seen mutations go completely global before (although maybe convergently) like D614G.

well i’d like to see ol covid wriggle its way out of THIS jam

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.

Zokari posted:

someone needs to get into these guys' bank accounts and figure out how much the virus is paying them

He’s a Republican. Ask how we failed the Iraq War and they will either deny they failed or that Hollywood hippies were responsible. They never admit to poo poo.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Rubby posted:

sure would be nice if somebody extended unemployment or did literally anything!!!!!!

yup. thankfully the free market solved COVID (I have a respirator and N95 masks) so the system works

Zisky
May 6, 2003

PM me and I will show you my tits
There was a point a couple months ago where I thought I might be able to snowboard again next season.

Looking like that's a big ol nope :(

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

ram dass in hell posted:

STOP COMMITTING FRAUD!!!

won’t someone please think of the rule followers???

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

Asproigerosis posted:

How DARE you call me a doctor, I'm an MRI technologist!

magnet jockey

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

clicking through that i came across beto,
https://twitter.com/BetoORourke/status/1427753318080712707
promoting speaking at schools to get masks required, which is great and all
but lol towards the end of the video, he and another go on to say something along the lines of 'we're doing everything we can to make it safe for schools'
lol yeah except closing them or offering virtual options lmaooo

Hirsute
May 4, 2007

Rubby posted:

Yeah my unemployment ends in 2 weeks! Cool cool cool. I applied for a job that I would be perfect for (managing a concert venue, after years of doing exactly that) but haven't heard back after a week and I'm thinking it might be because they're hitting the brakes on hiring to see how bad the covid situation gets. Can't have concerts if bands start cancelling their tours

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

everybody please wear protective gear as you turn the gun towards yourself and fire

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

the one good thing delta has done is likely beat back all the E484K mutation strains like P1 or B.1.351

for now

(until delta gains E484K like the borg assimilating technology)

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/W7VOA/status/1428092841822199814?s=20

Rubby
Aug 31, 2002

<3 Louby

Hirsute posted:

Yeah my unemployment ends in 2 weeks! Cool cool cool. I applied for a job that I would be perfect for (managing a concert venue, after years of doing exactly that) but haven't heard back after a week and I'm thinking it might be because they're hitting the brakes on hiring to see how bad the covid situation gets. Can't have concerts if bands start cancelling their tours

I heard Limp Bizkit might have some openings soon

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

Gio posted:

STOP COMMITTING FRAUD!!!

won’t someone please think of the rule followers???

i have the chad moderna for doses 1 and 2 and am a little worried that the pfizer dose was too small because they just gave me the 1st dose .. . probs gonna go back for my 2nd dose of pfizer in 3 weeks to get mega ultra vaxxed

Jon Irenicus
Apr 23, 2008

YO ASSHOLE

Aspro put me in the magnet tumbler and tell me about my insides

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

PostNouveau posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DuZzaVKmOs4

tl; dr the U.S. announcing booster doses for everyone is very bad news because it means the U.S. studies that will be coming out in a day or two will confirm the Israeli study that vaccine effectiveness wanes pretty fast

we're hosed

nothing materially changes. get the boosters--max titers style or legitimately. keep masking and distancing as much as possible. keep every layer of mitigation you can in front of you. there is no mutation that can develop and will magically rip through the charged plastic layers of a N95 mask (sorry michael crichton andromeda strain).

this is a slow burn. you have to wait it out. the dramatic moments of this pandemic will not be a grand booster rollout that beats the virus in months. they will be the gnawing guilt and gnashing of teeth as you tell your friends "no I'm not going out to dinner right now, it isn't safe" and they look at you like you're a loving cave hermit--didn't you hear, we're down to the lowest new cases since the last tsunami of death! it's safe again!

wait

it

out

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

gently caress you pudding brained rear end bitch

Zisky
May 6, 2003

PM me and I will show you my tits
Biden just announced the federal government will pay the salaries of school boards/teachers that have their pay docked for mandating masks.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

This is going well. Looks like the jhuapl-bucky model (which looks at mobility data) is the closest predictor and even that one's underestimated how bad it's getting. [source]

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

Der Meister posted:

I’m wondering if Pfizer found some real elevated rates of myocarditis/pericarditis in kids and is just trying to dilute it out with more patients

this is one of my concerns, it has been incredibly quiet on the front where you think there’d be a bit more urgency to keep news out there. Reality maybe they are scared to pull the trigger and hiding behind “well most kids don’t get that sick anyways” stats

Also does anyone have the link handy to the study or info graphic that shows antibody response vs. # of infections. I think for commons cold Corona it was something magical about like the 8th time you were exposed where after that the immune system generated max titers…so yea expect to get covid colds 5-8 times in the next decade IMO

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Zisky posted:

Biden just announced the federal government will pay the salaries of school boards/teachers that have their pay docked for mandating masks.

lol seriously?

that's...one way to do it.

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ

Maybe also because they’re giving it out like candy to top republicans who are asymptomatic and have had their 3rd shot for free advertising?

Normies don’t have access to regeneron at all.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

Asproigerosis posted:

In maybe relevant news, delaware hospitals are official full thanks to delta. For the 5 people from delaware, just fyi. Also same thing for eastern maryland, I've seen a couple patients that had to come here because all the hospitals in Maryland were full.

i love watching the media narrative change in real time as the blue states have hospitals overflowing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Zisky posted:

Probably in the form of a tax credit that, among other things, will require a notorized signature from the person that docked your pay and if they won't sign then tough luck buckaroo.