Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

FFT posted:

we're potentially "smarter" now for those of us that know how to look things up, which has become progressively easier over the last 30-40 years

At the same time, I get the sneaking suspicion "knowing how to look things up the right way" is a skill a lot fewer people have than you'd expect

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I've discovered the best way to get good google results is to misspell a keyword.

I don't know why it works, but I always get much better results that way. If I click on the "did you mean [word spelled correctly]" it reloads the search and I get trash again.

It's cargo culting the algorithm, but who cares as long as it works.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Megillah Gorilla posted:

I've discovered the best way to get good google results is to misspell a keyword.

I don't know why it works, but I always get much better results that way. If I click on the "did you mean [word spelled correctly]" it reloads the search and I get trash again.

I tried this but I can't seem to find anything about this Buttafuoco guy

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

looking things up is a skill so rare it should be a degree in itself

it’s not uncommon to find references in papers either misquoted or completely divorced from their context that they’ve taken a life of their own

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
I replaced most of my frontal cortex with the googling glands and now I know everything and understand nothing ama

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

tokin opposition posted:

I replaced most of my frontal cortex with the googling glands and now I know everything and understand nothing ama

Why do kids like Cinnamon Toast Crunch?

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

Adrenochrome enhancers and sugar

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

ArmZ posted:

sorry you're a dumbass this is just anti-modernist bullshit

most kids these days spend their whole school life memorizing things for tests. your whole argument is based on speculation.

it isn't and i don't know why you think it is lol. it isn't something i just dreamed up by myself. in the pre-literate days people could do things like recite the entire illiad from memory. this is something you could learn to do, too, if you put the same amount of effort in as they did, but you won't, because doing things like that doesn't matter to you in the way it did to them. this is exactly like the "we used to remember phone numbers but now our phones do it for us" thing, just writ large. in most of the ways that matter we're better at "remembering" things now, but we outsource much of our memory to external objects because that is more efficient.

but yeah keep calling me an anti-modernist dumbass instead of reading the words that i'm actually writing, bithc

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Big Mad Drongo posted:

Then you risk touching the inside of the bowl, a fate worse than death. Thankfully evolution provided us an out!

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

Jazerus posted:

it isn't and i don't know why you think it is lol. it isn't something i just dreamed up by myself. in the pre-literate days people could do things like recite the entire illiad from memory. this is something you could learn to do, too, if you put the same amount of effort in as they did, but you won't, because doing things like that doesn't matter to you in the way it did to them. this is exactly like the "we used to remember phone numbers but now our phones do it for us" thing, just writ large. in most of the ways that matter we're better at "remembering" things now, but we outsource much of our memory to external objects because that is more efficient.

but yeah keep calling me an anti-modernist dumbass instead of reading the words that i'm actually writing, bithc

more people today can recite the entire iliad from memory than in the pre literate days

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

Memorizing all 151 pokemon (I'm a pokemon originalist) is a greater accomplishment than the library of Alexandria

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Leaving the cartridge to melt on the dashboard of your minivan is worse than the library burning

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

please knock Mom! posted:

more people today can recite the entire iliad from memory than in the pre literate days

normalize by the fact that we have 400x the people now, tho...

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

bob dobbs is dead posted:

:thejoke:

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

My ex managed to recite The Ancient Mariner's Rime from memory, and her and her family would casually replace dinner conversation with Shakespeare quotes.

Anyway, I definitely remember reading serious research on theory of mind in apes, with fun experiments where one ape would only eat food if it was reasonably sure the other couldn't see it. And the save situation, except it was loving another ape instead of eating food.

The theory is also disproven by anyone other than me being an NPC, or so I've heard.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Reciting the Quran is still absolutely a thing too.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

BonHair posted:

My ex managed to recite The Ancient Mariner's Rime from memory, and her and her family would casually replace dinner conversation with Shakespeare quotes.

I assume she became your ex by the third time you asked her mom to pass the potatoes and she launched into Horatio

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Proust Malone posted:

Or if you live in America, our equivalent religious document: the constitution.

Just the preamble though, the rest is boring and nobody's ever read the whole thing probably.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Proust Malone posted:

I remember that being a mandatory part of passing into adulthood for some of my classmates.

Anyway, I saw this is the meme thread:

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

why would you try to normalize for one variable with a billion other variables unaccounted for, that’s just flimsy statistical camouflage

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

tokin opposition posted:

Memorizing all 151 pokemon (I'm a pokemon originalist) is a greater accomplishment than the library of Alexandria

at age 8 I could be given any number from 1-151 and name that pokemon, and I have never again reached such heights

why would you try to normalize for one variable with a billion other variables unaccounted for, that’s just flimsy statistical camouflage

perhaps the same could be said of all social sciences..........................

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
the required data complexity of dealing with n variables is often asserted by social science types to be O(n) (this is the assumption of linearity writ differently) but in practice its O(a^n)

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

BonHair posted:

Anyway, I saw this is the meme thread:

I'm in a polylaborous relationship with my main employer and a younger, hotter nightshift who's into freaky poo poo (cash in hand)

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Megillah Gorilla posted:

I preferred the days when judicious use of double quotes and plus and minus signs worked to show the results you really wanted to see, not Google's loving awful interpretation of "I'm going to show you results for <homophone of X> and <synonym of Y> and completely ignore the fact you enclosed this phrase in quotes, because I know what you're looking for better than you do".

I have to search for a lot of error messages and weird edge case elements at work and half the time the relevant hit is buried under pages and pages of close-but-no-potato links, hits to loving rssing.com, and awful, awful Dell/Microsoft open-source "tech support" pages.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Shame Boy posted:

Or if you live in America, our equivalent religious document: the constitution.

If anyone's curious, this is absolutely a thing.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Today my landlord told me I'm getting kicked out of my apartment in 2 months. Apparently while the renting contract has a minimum duration of 5 years (as in, the landlord can't cancel it before that), there's a law that says that after the first year you can just cancel it anyway if the landlord or a direct relative needs the place. This is already bullshit when taken at face value but what's fun about it is that they can basically use it as an excuse to kick anyone out anytime, and the renter's only recourse is moving out, waiting 3 months and then somehow proving that the landlord lied about needing the apartment.

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
burn it down on your last day he probably has insurance anyway so its legal

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Release some bedbugs on the way out.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Elman posted:

Today my landlord told me I'm getting kicked out of my apartment in 2 months. Apparently while the renting contract has a minimum duration of 5 years (as in, the landlord can't cancel it before that), there's a law that says that after the first year you can just cancel it anyway if the landlord or a direct relative needs the place. This is already bullshit when taken at face value but what's fun about it is that they can basically use it as an excuse to kick anyone out anytime, and the renter's only recourse is moving out, waiting 3 months and then somehow proving that the landlord lied about needing the apartment.

Get in touch with the San Francisco Tenants Union. They can help you negotiate for better terms on how soon you can leave and so on. https://sftu.org/tenants-rights/

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Get in touch with the San Francisco Tenants Union. They can help you negotiate for better terms on how soon you can leave and so on. https://sftu.org/tenants-rights/

Oh I live in Spain so I don't think that will help.

Honestly this is the best time of the year to move and it's not like I know for sure they're bullshitting, so I'm not too shaken about it. But it's still infuriating.

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
Do something to gently caress him over please

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Elman posted:

Oh I live in Spain so I don't think that will help.

Honestly this is the best time of the year to move and it's not like I know for sure they're bullshitting, so I'm not too shaken about it. But it's still infuriating.

Sueltas los chinches

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

I mean I said it in the first place because I got 10 points of extra credit added to my score in civics class for reciting the preamble lol

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

skooma512 posted:

Release some bedbugs on the way out.

henkman
Oct 8, 2008

BonHair posted:

Ugh

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

Personally I think long term memory is brain fascism and short term memory strasserism, live in the infinite now

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

tokin opposition posted:

Personally I think long term memory is brain fascism and short term memory strasserism, live in the infinite now

so do i call you mr du bois or tequila sunrise

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Wow @ that Malthusian posting.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

so do i call you mr du bois or tequila sunrise

It was tequila sunset :colbert:

Also I think that post fits Idiot Doom Spiral better anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

500excf type r posted:

the OP says this dumbass

He was repeating it so you'd remember, obviously.