Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bogmonster
Oct 17, 2007

The Bogey is a philosopher who knows

Will Laren is cool but the Vice website can do one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Phthisis posted:

I do not dislike the possum Clementine comic, but I think it is considerably worse than MM&O (which I will admit I think is an absolute masterpiece).

I think neither one really comes off as realistic, but for vastly different reasons. When people relate to the Clementine comic, they're not seeing a reflection of what their lives were like, but what they imagined their lives were like. This will come across as more derogatory than I intent, but it seems kind of like the same type of thing as the terrible cute relationship comic wank fantasy crap comics that gets shared on facebook, just focused on a way more niche culture and at a higher level of technical skill. But it's still a "omg thats me" type thing, even though that's not what anyones lives are ever actually like.

In contrast, MM&O, while not having particularly relatable characters, does a great job of representing not who we see ourselves to be, but rather showing who we really are. The characters are something of a caricature, but while I've never known anyone so far off the deep end as the MM&O characters, they so strongly reflect the tendencies of so many people I know. I think MM&O really does a great job of showing what people are really like, deep down, in the ways that they try to hide or suppress, and then thrusting it in your face.

It... honestly just seems like you might be a bad person and so are all your friends...?

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

I like MM&O and I don't know anyone remotely like any of them so it's not at all relatable.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
I like hitmen for destiny because my friends and I are all dagon-worshipping monster scholars who take classes in a university with an 81% graduation rate and a 95% mortality rate

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I like that there's a bunch of anthropomorphic animal dudes but also the cat is just an actual quadruped the size of a housecat.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I like that there's a bunch of anthropomorphic animal dudes but also the cat is just an actual quadruped the size of a housecat.

Haha yeah but what about the comics posted ITT?

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
Is there any way to read MM&O that isn't Instagram? Its not the ideal medium.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Vagabong posted:

Well there's actual in IRL life published albums. Support publishers.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Vagabong posted:

Try reading them printed on paper.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

3D Megadoodoo posted:

They're all incredibly nice books too, like those, Berserk and Johnny Ryan's Prison Pit are often probably the grossest comics in my physical collection in terms of content, but the books themselves are all beautiful.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/HZVpqim.gifv

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(

Lol got me again

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Harvey Mantaco posted:

Lol got me again

Was gonna type this exact thing up, so thanks for saving me the effort :tipshat:

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Am I the only one who can smell a "behind the gif" "comic" from the first sentence of the first panel every single time?

They're incredibly trite in a very strangely consistent way.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Nah i can definitely tell too. I'm not sure what it is exactly about the setup but it's almost always very obvious

I don't actually mind it myself though, it just makes me want to skip to the end to see the gif

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

Antitonic
Sep 24, 2011

Invented By Gandhi

Wow, hanging out with Owl really hosed these guys up…

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

ikanreed posted:

Am I the only one who can smell a "behind the gif" "comic" from the first sentence of the first panel every single time?

They're incredibly trite in a very strangely consistent way.

Yeah, but I kind of enjoy the game of trying to guess what the gif is gonna be

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

We're all awash in a sea of blood, and the least we can do is wave to each other.

One thing I enjoy about MM&O is that no matter how awful the characters get (and they are awful) there's still a compassion and sympathy for them. Unlike It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia, where the show actively hates its characters, Simon Hanselmann wishes the best for his characters but knows it's not in their nature to improve or pull themselves out of their personal hells.

Phthisis posted:

Also for the record, yeah Mogg is the only one of the primary characters who just completely sucks and has no redeeming qualities. They all suck, though.

Mogg's redeeming quality is that he's the only one of the group to actually love another person (though he expresses it in jealous and selfish ways).

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

This is the worst thing you can do, at a party

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

some plague rats posted:

This is the worst thing you can do, at a party
it is the second worst thing

the worst is the upper decker, the pinnacle of senseless human cruelty

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I already read Hitmen for Destiny back in the day, so I'm gonna say (so far) Pupkin is the best printed cartoon ITT*.

*) "In this thread"

e: Both remind me somehow of Jan Lööf's classic Felix. It's just the feel of the thing. Somehow magical.

3D Megadoodoo has a new favorite as of 08:10 on Aug 19, 2021

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

cock hero flux posted:

it is the second worst thing

the worst is the upper decker, the pinnacle of senseless human cruelty

That's a good point, but to my mind the upper decker is an issue for the host later, but if someone blocks the toilet and floods the bathroom it's like well poo poo, guess I have to do lines in the kitchen like an animal

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Good on you Gustave Eiffel, that is quality craftsmanship. he didn't actually design the tower himself.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

3D Megadoodoo posted:

I already read Hitmen for Destiny back in the day, so I'm gonna say (so far) Pupkin is the best printed cartoon ITT*.

*) "In this thread"

e: Both remind me somehow of Jan Lööf's classic Felix. It's just the feel of the thing. Somehow magical.

Remember Skrotnisse? That poo poo's legit.

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

I can tell I'm going to dislike a webcomic any one of the characters can be guaranteed to do this thing at least once per strip

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Pastry of the Year posted:

I can tell I'm going to dislike a webcomic any one of the characters can be guaranteed to do this thing at least once per strip

womb with a view
Sep 8, 2007

This is PFSC?? I... I don't hate this

frankee
Dec 29, 2017

https://twitter.com/MKupperman/status/1427900384408915968

frankee
Dec 29, 2017

:nws:https://i.imgur.com/nAFJJxM.jpg:nws:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Somebody has a new favorite as of 14:19 on Aug 19, 2021

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

I was sitting on the fence for this one, but the Eiffel Tower Space Spear has me fully onboard now

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

Phthisis posted:

I do not dislike the possum Clementine comic, but I think it is considerably worse than MM&O (which I will admit I think is an absolute masterpiece).

I think neither one really comes off as realistic, but for vastly different reasons. When people relate to the Clementine comic, they're not seeing a reflection of what their lives were like, but what they imagined their lives were like. This will come across as more derogatory than I intent, but it seems kind of like the same type of thing as the terrible cute relationship comic wank fantasy crap comics that gets shared on facebook, just focused on a way more niche culture and at a higher level of technical skill. But it's still a "omg thats me" type thing, even though that's not what anyones lives are ever actually like.

In contrast, MM&O, while not having particularly relatable characters, does a great job of representing not who we see ourselves to be, but rather showing who we really are. The characters are something of a caricature, but while I've never known anyone so far off the deep end as the MM&O characters, they so strongly reflect the tendencies of so many people I know. I think MM&O really does a great job of showing what people are really like, deep down, in the ways that they try to hide or suppress, and then thrusting it in your face.

From my perspective as an old crappy man, Clementine is a nostalgic strip about being in your early 20s and realizing that your life is extremely real, is getting realer by the second, and there's no obvious path forward, so what do you do about it? MM&O is a tragedy about the same kind of scene\punk\hipster\whatever kids some years later if they answered that question with "Keep partying, keep hanging."

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Clementine doesn't make me feel nostalgia because I was never as cool as Clem or her friends. I was more like one of those random assholes they encounter.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Pastry of the Year posted:

I can’t believe you hate youtubers

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Yeah, but everywhere I've seen them has been either UK-only, sold out instantly, or both. I'm not just bitching, I really do want MM&O physical copies, but don't know where to get them.

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Nah i can definitely tell too. I'm not sure what it is exactly about the setup but it's almost always very obvious

are y'all being real right now

it's the art

it's the same art style, by the same artist

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
Nah I think it's something else, maybe they all use the same art program?