Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

https://www.theguardian.com/austral...and-border-army

quote:

Speaking to media on Thursday afternoon, the prime minister Jacinda Ardern said genome sequencing has linked the cluster to a returnee, a New Zealander who returned to the country from NSW on a managed red-zone flight tested positive for the Delta variant on 7 August and was moved to quarantine on the 8th. After becoming unwell, they were transferred to Middlemore Hospital, on 16 August.

"What this information tells us is that our cases are most likely to have come from the traveller. This is a significant development and means now we can be fairly certain how, and when, the virus entered the country, and that based on timelines, there are minimal, possibly only one, or maybe two, missing links between this returnee and cases in our current outbreak."

The period in which cases were in the community is relatively short, she said, adding that it is unlikely the virus was spread at the hospital because the case was transferred there just one day prior to the first positive case being discovered.

sounds like everyone did everything right but delta hosed them anyway because it's delta

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

Atrocious Joe posted:

https://twitter.com/paulkrugman/status/1428013287791284229?s=20

lol that the juiced Lollapalooza numbers are being used by people nationwide to twist the narrative

This exact thing is happening in my friends group with a guy who is big mad about having to wear masks again. He used the lollapalooza 'only 200 cases!' thing to justify that breakthrough cases are super rare. People who don't read this thread still think breakthrough cases are a thing that does not happen.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Folks.

Has anyone asked if the virus could wear a mask instead of us??!

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

mod sassinator posted:

fauci flapping his jaws about boosters: https://www.nbcnews.com/nightly-news/video/dr-fauci-on-effectiveness-of-vaccine-booster-118989381977

lol he says we don't need a 4th shot after this one, that ~~the data~~ shows a third shot is good enough

a whole lot of non-answers otherwise

it owns that no more than a month ago Fauci and the CDC were saying a booster shot wasn't necessary ~right now~

https://www.npr.org/sections/corona...doses-right-now

I don't know if it's damage control or if they're just this loving dumb

OK baizuo
Mar 19, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

euphronius posted:

90 days seems like a lot less than 6 months

I admittedly have no way to find this but way, way back in the original thread some goon postulated that the vaccine could require redosing every couple months like some Deus Ex ambrosia poo poo

welp

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

mod sassinator posted:

fauci flapping his jaws about boosters: https://www.nbcnews.com/nightly-news/video/dr-fauci-on-effectiveness-of-vaccine-booster-118989381977

lol he says we don't need a 4th shot after this one, that ~~the data~~ shows a third shot is good enough

These loving people and their dead-rear end certain-sounding voices as they say these things based on loving nothing.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

mod sassinator posted:

We will 100% need a fourth shot but it will be for some new mutant strain of COVID and it will take way too long to test and approve and manufacture

What I’m saying is be low key prepared for another pandemic next year

KaptainKrunk
Feb 6, 2006

nate silverishly: well you see the deep south's case load hasn't increased beyond its currently unsustainable rate, so we should be good. stop fearmongering.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

mod sassinator posted:

Well, of course we don't need a fourth right now. There hasn't been enough time after the third yet for the effects to wane.

KaptainKrunk
Feb 6, 2006

Kreeblah posted:

Well, of course we don't need a fourth right now. There hasn't been enough time after the third yet for the effects to wane.

why do you hate science? we need studies, not induction. I am very smart.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

I've been vaccinated fully since June and I've yet to put myself in a situation where anyone is obligated or required to verify my vaccination status.

Closest I've come is I verified with my employer. But then they stopped requiring masks so I have only gone in a total of one time for a half hour because I needed IT to replace some hardware in my laptop and have stuck straight with work from home.

They also just recently updated thier guidance for quarantining after exposure to say that vaccinated people only have to stay home if they have symptoms. They did that this week after all the news about breakthroughs.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

mod sassinator posted:

Well, now I know to pencil in a fourth shot.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

SKULL.GIF posted:

remembering around this time last year when we were discussing whether or not REINFECTION?! could even happen

and now people are just nonchalantly dropping "oh yeah, this person I know had covid 3 times"

Yes I do remember that and I also remember the same loving idiots being on the wrong side of that too. CSPAM was right.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

Louisgod posted:

it owns that no more than a month ago Fauci and the CDC were saying a booster shot wasn't necessary ~right now~

https://www.npr.org/sections/corona...doses-right-now

I don't know if it's damage control or if they're just this loving dumb

worse, it's their explicit plan lol.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Yes I do remember that and I also remember the same loving idiots being on the wrong side of that too. CSPAM was right.

Where are all those shitcocks now?

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

mod sassinator posted:

haha holy poo poo. if sydney takes down new zealand.... LMAO

NZ lockdown energy is extremely strong though, so I think we'll be fine again in another month or so. The real issue is that delta seems to be so much more infectious that leakage from the border is practically inevitable, and every time you find a single community case you HAVE to lock down the entire country immediately to keep it under control. I'm not sure what the end-game here is really? Doesn't seem like vaxxx will save us, doesn't seem like aggressive whole-country lockdowns will either as long as we're allowing people to come back from red-zone countries. Pinging in and out of lockdowns every few months is still a shitload better than the alternative though I guess so better than nothing.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

Cup Runneth Over posted:

the maladaptive response is a heck of a thing

Burn Zone
May 22, 2004

Lacrosse posted:

lol at all the goons trying to lie about being immunocompromised and getting turned away when all they had to lie about was being there for their first dose

my second second dose appointment is due in a few days and I'm wondering if I should get it or not

I guess not though because super covid is around the corner

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
ok I've seen enough; I'm calling it

Covid seems bad

post COVID
Mar 5, 2007

free college, free healthcare, free Shmurda

External Organs posted:

Folks.

Has anyone asked if the virus could wear a mask instead of us??!

vaccines are likely little tiny masks for your cells

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

Blackhawk posted:

NZ lockdown energy is extremely strong though, so I think we'll be fine again in another month or so. The real issue is that delta seems to be so much more infectious that leakage from the border is practically inevitable, and every time you find a single community case you HAVE to lock down the entire country immediately to keep it under control. I'm not sure what the end-game here is really? Doesn't seem like vaxxx will save us, doesn't seem like aggressive whole-country lockdowns will either as long as we're allowing people to come back from red-zone countries. Pinging in and out of lockdowns every few months is still a shitload better than the alternative though I guess so better than nothing.

yeah they're just going to have to get REALLY strict about border quarantines. no more, oh you came in on a private boat or jet? we don't need to test you.... no more jamming everyone in the same hotel without also building it into a freaking negative air pressure ward. china, as always, has had the right idea here. special quarantine hotels where you feel like you're in that scene from ET when you enter them. no exceptions at all, everyone quarantined for 14 days with proof of multiple PCR tests to get out.

china is beating back its delta surge right now. from 150+ cases a day to 40s and dropping. it just takes targeted lockdown, tracing, etc. when it's still in the low 100s of cases a day phase.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

mycomancy posted:

Where are all those shitcocks now?

Applebee's.

McNugget Buddy
Aug 14, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Steve Yun posted:

Just be careful with that FP article, it makes some misquotes from the Pfizer study like suggesting Pfizer did 8 months of data when it was 6, and saying antibody levels went down to zero when the study was checking overall efficacy and not antibody levels and says nothing about antibodies being completely gone at 8 months

Pfizer did compile 8 months of data against Wild Type and Beta:

Burn Zone
May 22, 2004

McNugget Buddy posted:

thanks for posting those slides. I've convinced around 10 of my friends and family to get their third slut syrup by sending those and a short explanation

Morbus
May 18, 2004

just lol if u havent made ur own nasal vaccine: https://radvac.org/

Boat Stuck
Apr 20, 2021

I tried to sneak through the canal, man! Can't make it, can't make it, the ship's stuck! Outta my way son! BOAT STUCK! BOAT STUCK!

McNugget Buddy posted:

here's the reason they care about any of this

Boat Stuck fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Aug 19, 2021

Rubby
Aug 31, 2002

<3 Louby

lol gently caress it this one's for the night crew
https://i.imgur.com/zuOUwnQ.mp4

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Casey Finnigan posted:

I'm gonna learn mandarin and just loving move

they don't want you

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I changed my legal name since getting my first two doses done. Maybe I should just do another 2 in my new name so I have a clean card. Then get my 'booster.'

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

McNugget Buddy posted:

oh whoops! thanks for the correction

edit: okay it looks like it was from a different study than the one they linked in the FP article

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Aug 19, 2021

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

why contain it

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Rubby posted:

lol gently caress it this one's for the night crew
https://i.imgur.com/zuOUwnQ.mp4

incredible as always

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

SKULL.GIF posted:

they don't want you

lol you can't even go to china to teach english anymore

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
a 9/11 every 3 days is fine because a democrat is president, actually

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Casey Finnigan posted:

what is the american endgame here? just keep things open until every single hospital in the nation is overwhelmed? and then what? What the gently caress are we doing

The endgame is that everyone gets delta and population immunity is built-up enough that the new variants that will sweep through every year or so don't totally overwhelm the hospitals. Those with the means will get regular boosters, everyone else rolls the dice each time.

Society just adapts and accepts the higher death rate. Everyone will have at least one family member with permanent damage. It will be unusual to meet someone who isn't rich over the age of 70.

Jon Irenicus
Apr 23, 2008

YO ASSHOLE

Shiroc posted:

I changed my legal name since getting my first two doses done. Maybe I should just do another 2 in my new name so I have a clean card. Then get my 'booster.'

ooh. we've got the possibility of a fiver here.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
the US is going to surpass peak hospitalizations.

I think most people don't realize how baked in that is at this point

we could literally vaccinate every single person in the US tomorrow and implement weld-your-door style lock downs indefinitely, and we're still going to slide right past the record and keep going

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

lol the Biden admin is responsible for so many deaths

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
gonna be alot more breakthrough deaths when people can’t get in the ER to get some supplemental oxygen and stabilize. well and ya know everything else you would ever need to go to the ER for…

I read a study that high dose antibiotics may be just as effective for treating an appendicitis instead of surgery. Just some food for thought. Hope ya’ll got good gall bladders, etc though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
What do you guys think real cases are at

Like last fall.testinf was pretty good so those 200k days were probably true 250k? And the early spring of 2020 were only like 30k but really 300k daily when you looked at deaths after the fact ?

So now it's probably in between that, and what, these 150k are really 450k?