Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Amppelix posted:

no it isn't, unlike sword and shield this game has an identifiable (and good) art style

if you watch the trailer it looks fine in motion and even good when overlooking vistas with no ground closeups in sight
I'm fine with the graphics themselves, but i wouldn't say it looked better in motion; the framerate seemed to chug noticeably in parts of the trailer, which was a big problem in SwSh as well.

Evil Fluffy posted:

Monolith Soft have made some sort of Faustian deal to make games look and run as well as they do on Nintendo systems. Xenoblade 1 on the Wii was mind blowing for what they did, and that's before getting into the visual impact of stuff like when you first get to the Gaur Plain or the numerous other areas of the giant ancient mechs that you live on. XCX, for all its many, many, many many, many problems also looked and ran better than I'd have expected out of the WiiU.

Can't wait for XC3 to come out.
Xenoblade 2 is extremely gorgeous and I have no idea how they did it, other than the possibility that the engine they use was clearly built by wizards

Now if only they would license that engine to gamefreak

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
From a technical standpoint it does look kind of rough with how a bit jagged things are, but they seem to have stabilized the framerate for the most part. Aside from some instances of slowdowns.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Even though it's the opposite design philosophy of Arceus, I'd be totally fine if a mainline game went back to smaller route sizes if they were able to make them super dense like Pokemon Snap stages. Make the game look like Shin-chan

That is a loving gorgeous background right there and I would be absolutely down so long as the rendering is that level of clean and neat. I mean look at that line work! On the one hand we have Legends which is clearly starting to get it's act together and on the other we have the D/P remakes which in my very personal opinion look actively worse than the originals. The point of a remake is to apply the current tech to an old school game to show how you would've used it had it been available at the time. Not lets just slap some paint on the bitch and send it out the door.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

I made an ugly noise when I saw the DP character splash art

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
With the map basically confirming that BDSP will have none of Platinums features my already rock bottom chances of buying this game have officially reached zero. Why would I buy a game I already own that has objectively less stuff? You can't even argue for presentation, since it uses graphics a Gamecube could run with an overhead view that prevents you from seeing Sinnoh in a different way, while not changing any art design to take advantage of new technology. Platinum's visual presentation is outright better.
On the other hand my expectation for Legends have gone from ehhhhh... to awesome I'm actually looking forward to playing it now. They even added turning animations.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

I've been examining the Key art for both BDSP and Legends Arceus and there's some small details here and there.

The Grand Underground map has a few Pokemon like Numel and Muk, which I don't believe were in the original Sinnoh dexes for both the original Diamond and Pearl or even Platinum. So I think its possible to get some Fire types early enough to alleviate the fire type problem that Sinnoh is famous for. Can't really say the same for Ice types.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

galagazombie posted:

With the map basically confirming that BDSP will have none of Platinums features my already rock bottom chances of buying this game have officially reached zero. Why would I buy a game I already own that has objectively less stuff? You can't even argue for presentation, since it uses graphics a Gamecube could run with an overhead view that prevents you from seeing Sinnoh in a different way, while not changing any art design to take advantage of new technology. Platinum's visual presentation is outright better.
On the other hand my expectation for Legends have gone from ehhhhh... to awesome I'm actually looking forward to playing it now. They even added turning animations.

Oh word? My God imagine if they keep those animations and reapply them down the line for animation in the mainline games. No more of that stiff walking in place until the pokemon eventually turns around poo poo. I can't believe I'm hyped for this honestly but I am. Or even better Legends is a test run for applying these travel mechanics to pokemon down the line. Imagine you could use one of the ones in your party to fulfill those functions: flying/swimming/climbing etc.

Flopsy fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Aug 19, 2021

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Zuzie posted:

I've been examining the Key art for both BDSP and Legends Arceus and there's some small details here and there.

The Grand Underground map has a few Pokemon like Numel and Muk, which I don't believe were in the original Sinnoh dexes for both the original Diamond and Pearl or even Platinum. So I think its possible to get some Fire types early enough to alleviate the fire type problem that Sinnoh is famous for. Can't really say the same for Ice types.

You could get Numel/Camerupt in the Battle Zone, and Grimer/Muk through the Pokeradar. Admittedly both are Postgame and the PokeRadar is so obtuse I'd hesitate to call it being in the game. In fact that's something I simultaneously love and hate about Sinnoh. So many Pokemon were only available through weird poo poo, including a lot of the new Gen 4 mons. So much there's that whole meme about the "Official Sinnoh Team" thats made up of the like 6 or 7 Gen 4 mons who can actually be found in the tall grass. You've got Honey trees, Moveset evolutions, Spiritomb, Weekly events like Drifblim, Hippoptas/Hippodown availability being based on how many different Unown types you had, Magnetic fields, etc. It simultaneously made it feel cool to get an unorthodox pokemon on your team but was also a pain in the rear end. I've still never caught my own Spiritomb before ORAS because who the hell is going to play DS with me in 2021?

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
The only thing that really bothers me about Legends which someone else mentioned is that I just think "Pokemon walking around back and forth" looks kind of ridiculous and uninteresting. New Pokemon Snap was way better about Pokemon feeling like they were in a natural environment, doing interesting things and interacting with the world and changing their behavior depending on what was going on around them. I know Pokemon Snap is an on rails thing and it's easier to program those kinds of things when the experience is that controlled, but I can't take Pokemon just pacing around in a small area doing nothing seriously.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

galagazombie posted:

You could get Numel/Camerupt in the Battle Zone, and Grimer/Muk through the Pokeradar. Admittedly both are Postgame and the PokeRadar is so obtuse I'd hesitate to call it being in the game. In fact that's something I simultaneously love and hate about Sinnoh. So many Pokemon were only available through weird poo poo, including a lot of the new Gen 4 mons. So much there's that whole meme about the "Official Sinnoh Team" thats made up of the like 6 or 7 Gen 4 mons who can actually be found in the tall grass. You've got Honey trees, Moveset evolutions, Spiritomb, Weekly events like Drifblim, Hippoptas/Hippodown availability being based on how many different Unown types you had, Magnetic fields, etc. It simultaneously made it feel cool to get an unorthodox pokemon on your team but was also a pain in the rear end. I've still never caught my own Spiritomb before ORAS because who the hell is going to play DS with me in 2021?
I was the kind of nerd who would use two DSes to talk with the "same" person 32 times over by having the other game continuously enter and exit the underground

all for a pokemon best described as "decent" :v:

also, while I like all the different daily event things, I think my main gripe with the game on replays was that so many cool pokemon catching methods (ie: swarms, pokeradar, trophy garden, dual-slot mode, etc) were all postgame exclusive. Did you want a growlithe on your team? gently caress you, this is sinnoh, no fire-types before the elite four allowed.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Twelve by Pies posted:

The only thing that really bothers me about Legends which someone else mentioned is that I just think "Pokemon walking around back and forth" looks kind of ridiculous and uninteresting. New Pokemon Snap was way better about Pokemon feeling like they were in a natural environment, doing interesting things and interacting with the world and changing their behavior depending on what was going on around them. I know Pokemon Snap is an on rails thing and it's easier to program those kinds of things when the experience is that controlled, but I can't take Pokemon just pacing around in a small area doing nothing seriously.

Well they showed off that Buizel sleeping, which isn't a lot admittedly, but maybe they're trying?

dungeon cousin
Nov 26, 2012

woop woop
loop loop
I watched the trailer again and it does say that there are exclusive Pokemon in the Underground Hideaways so they might be shoving the Platinum expansion Pokemon in them. It's fine as long as the Hideaways are easily accessible. I just would have preferred if they distributed the Pokemon around the region. It feels more natural to me and fills out the region a bit more.

Speaking of the Hideaways it's mentioned that the kinds of Pokemon that appear in them is dependent on the statues you have in your Secret Base. That immediately reminded me of the HGSS Safari Zone which I definitely hope they don't try to make it similar to that. If it's all about which statues you have then I really hope that they're obtainable at a reasonable rate.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Humerus posted:

Sirfetchd owns but I will admit they should be Fighting/Grass since the whole thing is using a leek as a sword, and the signature move is a grass type.

Edit because I didn't refresh, responding to this blasphemy

Ok so the next one the leek is an arcbus and it's named Commissar Fetchd

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I don't think the trailer would have made a point of showing Platinum expansion Pokemon if they weren't going to be included

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Twelve by Pies posted:

Yeah this was the thing that made the wild area feel lame. Definitely didn't seem like the Pokemon were even supposed to feel like they were living in the tall grass, as opposed to visible random encounters like in a Tales game. Even the big setpiece mons that were consistent like Duraludon, just standing in the same spot every day. "Oh, that? That's the Duraludon corner."

I've done a fair amount of thinking in the past about how I would make an open-world Pokemon game and the conclusion I came to was somewhat similar to Pokemon Snap. Basically, every Pokemon species would have a small little area where they live and then you'd go there and do some little quest to get one of them to go with you. Like, you bring food to a pack of Houndours and one joins your party, or you find a Magnemite that's been injured and you need an electric move to charge it back up. That way, you could hand-craft every Pokemon species a little home area where you could see them doing animal stuff, like building nests or sleeping in little makeshift rock formations. You could also then have roaming packs of Pokemon that would serve as the encounters to fill out the world, like they're out looking for food and that's why they battle you. This would also help address the weirdness around how certain Pokemon almost feel like it's bullying to get into fights with. Like, drat, you really just gonna run up on a Catepie and beat its rear end? It wouldn't make sense for one to attack you, either. In my perfect world video game some Pokemon also wouldn't fight if they joined you, either, but would provide some sort of benefit to your little home base. Like, Caterpie could make silk that you then make clothes out of or something. Maybe each one of these support Pokemon has some sort of benefit to coming with you and you can choose one to carry with you on your shoulder or on a pet backpack. This would mostly be because I definitely wanted the Pokemon to be following you as you run around some would just be too slow. Also in this world I've made up there's no Pokeballs

Also I said this in the megaten last week before the trailer today but my ideal Pokemon game is one where you write the Pokedex and you have to name, draw pictures of, and write a description for the Pokemon you find

RazzleDazzleHour fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Aug 19, 2021

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I think the only thing I'd 'lose' from not having Platinum stuff would be the Battleground, refighting Gym Leaders was great.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Legends looks cool, i like how the pokemon can kill me now. A shame i have to wait so long for it

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
It still seems weird to me that they're releasing these two new games so close together.

Chucktesla
Jul 13, 2014

Hammerite posted:

It still seems weird to me that they're releasing these two new games so close together.

It kind of almost feels like they picked late January for Legends fully expecting to delay it by six weeks

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

The overhaul combat they have going for Legends look neat but this al seems so rough and low effort. Having avast open works and still chaining yourself to turn based combat feels bad.

The animations are also so loving bad. Pokémon switching to 3D was a mistake.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

The overhaul combat they have going for Legends look neat but this al seems so rough and low effort. Having avast open works and still chaining yourself to turn based combat feels bad.

The animations are also so loving bad. Pokémon switching to 3D was a mistake.

Yeah i wasnt impressed by the pokemon being in a 3d environment and just standing there. Surely they could have had them move around a little bit. I do really like the combat overhaul altho its probably gonna be broken wide open if speed is not flattened into tiers or something

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Open world pokemon just needs scale. The wild area is about as big as the tutorial area in BOTW.

bemusedchunk
May 10, 2021
So my history with pokemon is odd...
I was almost 16 when Red came out, which is the only game I have completed.

Once I got a 3DS I started to try and pick up the newer games - X/Y, Sun/Moon and even that Gen III remake.
Nothing stuck and I ended up either bouncing off or just getting bored after 2-3 hours.

However, Pokemon Unite is really scratching that itch for me. And I kinda hate it. Only because I feel pretty lost only knowing the Gen I mons.
Should I go back and try to play Gen II - Gen VIII once more?

Or should I just suck it up and play Sword since it's the latest one and theres no reason to go backwards so far.
(I did get about 2-3 hours into Sword and I liked what I played, but would start over again. Also, I heard the DLC is good.)

epsilon
Oct 31, 2001

bemusedchunk posted:

Once I got a 3DS I started to try and pick up the newer games - X/Y, Sun/Moon and even that Gen III remake.
Nothing stuck and I ended up either bouncing off or just getting bored after 2-3 hours.

However, Pokemon Unite is really scratching that itch for me. And I kinda hate it. Only because I feel pretty lost only knowing the Gen I mons.

Or should I just suck it up and play Sword since it's the latest one and theres no reason to go backwards so far.
(I did get about 2-3 hours into Sword and I liked what I played, but would start over again. Also, I heard the DLC is good.)

I have the exact same history as you except I had blue at 16. I never continued with the games because I bounced off the "new" Pokemon. I didn't like any beyond the original 151.

I eventually got a 3DS and tried X/Y, didn't like it.

For some reason I decided to go back and replay the entire mainline series and I'm having a blast. So far I've completed Crystal, Sapphire, Pearl, HeartGold and I'm playing Black now. It has been amazing. Finding new Pokemon that are adorable and cool to use has been so much fun. I'm also playing Sword concurrently with my mainline series playthrough because it has online and I can play with my friend that is across the country from me.

I'm not interested in Unite though.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
I only had a 3DS, and at the time of release DPPt emulated poorly, so I never really got to play much. So I guess I'll grab the remakes and see how they play for the first time. I remember DP being so slow (however I always thought it was because my emulator ran slowly) and full of "hey use all these DS gimmicks" that mostly got in the way tho. Wasn't this the game where Defog required you to blow into the mic?
Hopefully they patch some of the holes in the game for the remakes.

bemusedchunk
May 10, 2021

epsilon posted:

I have the exact same history as you except I had blue at 16. I never continued with the games because I bounced off the "new" Pokemon. I didn't like any beyond the original 151.

I eventually got a 3DS and tried X/Y, didn't like it.

For some reason I decided to go back and replay the entire mainline series and I'm having a blast. So far I've completed Crystal, Sapphire, Pearl, HeartGold and I'm playing Black now. It has been amazing. Finding new Pokemon that are adorable and cool to use has been so much fun. I'm also playing Sword concurrently with my mainline series playthrough because it has online and I can play with my friend that is across the country from me.

I'm not interested in Unite though.

This gives me hope.
I think I'll casually play Sword while also going back through the history to play catch up - having all the games I want on my hacked 3ds is a god send.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

bemusedchunk posted:

It might depend on what you didn't like about X/Y but as a general rule, if you're looking to get back into Pokemon it's best to start with the newest games. Sword and Shield should have a nice mix of new and familiar faces for you, too.

If you're interested in trying more spin-offs, you could give Pokemon Mystery Dungeon a try?

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
I'm worried I'm getting overhyped for legends, because it seems really cool, but all the stuff they've shown could absolutely be unfun to play or really shallow and boring if they don't do it right. Like it seems like pokemon snap + SMT + BOTW and there's just no way they can pull that off or live up to the expectations that that makes me set upon it.

CBD Corndog
Jun 21, 2009

Instead of full 3D, Pokemon should have gone the Octopath Traveler art style route. The sprite work in B2W2 was awesome and applying that to a diorama-styled environment with 3D effects would look amazing.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

I still feel like Legends is kinda blurry looking in some clips, like it has dynamic resolution or something.

Golden Goat fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Aug 19, 2021

bemusedchunk
May 10, 2021

Silver Falcon posted:

It might depend on what you didn't like about X/Y but as a general rule, if you're looking to get back into Pokemon it's best to start with the newest games. Sword and Shield should have a nice mix of new and familiar faces for you, too.

If you're interested in trying more spin-offs, you could give Pokemon Mystery Dungeon a try?

Sell me on Mystery Dungeon.
I've never played it but have been curious about it.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

bemusedchunk posted:

They're fun little dungeon-divers with a lot of personality. They function like a traditional roguelike (think ToME, Angband, Dredmor, DOOM RL etc) without permadeath. You can build up parties of Pokemon and do all sorts of dumb bullshit.

There's also just a ridiculous amount of content and you can play the games basically forever if you want or just stop with the story.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

bemusedchunk posted:

It's basically exactly what the premise would lead you to think it is - Shiren the Wanderer/Mystery Dungeon gameplay but pared down to be Pokemon mechanics. If you haven't played them, they're basically old-school roguelike dungeon crawlers, but with Pokemon mechanics replacing the normal game mechanics. They're also toned down to be easier and less punishing (no random gear that you lose when you die, stuff like that). I've never really been a fan of the series or the Pokemon equivalent - it's mostly just mindlessly pushing auto-explore through dungeons and then getting into fights with only a basic level of strategy. The Pokemon collection actually I think adds a lot to the genre and having to consider things like positioning and number of enemies adds a lot of strategic depth. But, I think a large amount of that is squandered because the game's really easy (at least from what I've experienced) and so you don't actually really need to think that much about anything you do. I think I was at one point last year I was looking for a difficulty romhack but then forgot about it, because I think the game would be really appealing if it were a little harder

The games are pretty story-heavy though and the stories of any PKMD game are a million times better than any mainline game so if that sounds appealing you'd definitely like them though

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Golden Goat posted:

I still feel like Legends is kinda blurry looking in some clips, like it has dynamic resolution or something.

It's deffo a dynamic resolution and unstable framerate targeting 30. One of these two might be locked by the time the game launches.

bemusedchunk
May 10, 2021
you guys are definitely selling me on mystery dungeon.
i haven't played the original rogue, but tend to enjoy many likes/lites, such as binding of isaac.

i'm sure mystery dungeon is different tho. how do parties work?
and is it long shot hoping for mystery dungeon to go on sale?

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
The Mystery Dungeon games have amazing stories and music, and the premise of all of them is "You are a human who has been transformed into a Pokemon." Why? Well the reason is different in every game, but there is a lot going on in all of them that's really interesting.

For most Mystery Dungeon games parties work by you choosing who to bring along with you, you can usually bring two to three party members but that can change depending on the size of the Pokemon (if you bring a really big one like Kyogre or Steelix they take up too much space for any more party members). You choose what kind of moves they'll use and what enemies they'll focus on attacking. The AI isn't great but it's functional enough, you never want to give them anything they can throw though.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

bemusedchunk posted:

you guys are definitely selling me on mystery dungeon.
i haven't played the original rogue, but tend to enjoy many likes/lites, such as binding of isaac.

i'm sure mystery dungeon is different tho. how do parties work?
and is it long shot hoping for mystery dungeon to go on sale?

Parties work a bit differently depending on the game. In general though, at the beginning of the game you take a quiz to get your main Pokemon then get to pick a Partner. Those characters are always in your party until the post game with you directly controlling the main one while the partner is controlled through various AI settings. In most games you also can take along a third party member of your choice for most missions among all the Pokemon you've recruited. Then there are another few slots for Pokemon you pick up in dungeons or as part of a mission in a dungeon which are all things that vary heavily game to game. There are also parts of every game's story where the game locks it to only you and your partner for a period of time.

Post-game you get to use whoever you want.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Twelve by Pies posted:

The Mystery Dungeon games have amazing stories and music, and the premise of all of them is "You are a human who has been transformed into a Pokemon." Why? Well the reason is different in every game, but there is a lot going on in all of them that's really interesting.

I'm too much of a big fat pokemon nerd to not enjoy PMD but why you've been Isekai'd into a Pokemon has only ever had a valid answer like... once.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

Muscle Tracer posted:

i want sprites back for one very specific reason

>>>
Don't blame the 3d models for finally being accurate to what has always been canon about the Cyndaquil line :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

SpicyPete posted:

Instead of full 3D, Pokemon should have gone the Octopath Traveler art style route. The sprite work in B2W2 was awesome and applying that to a diorama-styled environment with 3D effects would look amazing.

Really? Like Unova's sprites are solid and all but Pokemon has never been a series that'd I consider to have especially impressive sprite work.

Like even their best is just kinda 'pretty good'.