Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

ok grandpa, and what else has this "spyro" done?

eat fresh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
Bird of the year should be Eclectus because that's the demon I have.

I also have this lump who snores all day

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Lockdown time not spent befriending the local magpies is time not well spent
Magpie to go back-to-back

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

I'm tripping right now... Don't fuck this up for me.

Strong Convections posted:

The one blooming is maybe a touch early for here, but not by much. It's been mostly warm the past week so I figure that's triggered it.

Got a bunch of bulbs someone gave me in some pots that are waking up and starting to grow. Can't remember what they are - white flower, very hardy, not a white daffodil. Very poisonous (but so are daffodils :D ). Looking forward to working it out once they bloom.

I should really dig mine up and divide them after they're done growing for this season. They've gotten quite crowded in the last couple of years.

e: superb fairy wren ftw.

Strong Convections
May 8, 2008
Magpies need the love. They're not everybody's favourite, but every year in the few weeks of mating season there's always people smearing them and wanting them shot for swooping. Public should rally behind their right to exist.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Magpies need the love. They're not everybody's favourite, but every year in the few weeks of mating season there's always people smearing them and wanting them shot for swooping. Public should rally behind their right to exist.

They're probably not going to poll highly this year after that freak accident with that lady and her baby
Just loving awful

Carlos Lantana
Oct 2, 2003

I'm really sorry, your avatar is giving me a boner and while that is perfectly OK and I don't want to kink shame anyone, its making me feel really weird getting a boner in a Trump thread.

Sincerely,

Jailbrekr
we have signs around here that say don't gently caress with this plover, it's not worth it.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Just went up the road to get click and collect for a replacement bulb for my car.

Petrol $1.75

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
Yeah I noticed that yesterday when I had to drive to get an eye test so that I could keep my licence. Last year I was filling up with 98 most weeks cause it was super cheap and while it didn't extend my range it did give my car a little more pep

snickothemule
Jul 11, 2016

wretched single ply might as well use my socks
Tried wicked sister's protein pudding and that little tub might cause me to get fat again. Holy mother of god was it tasty.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Infinitum posted:

Just went up the road to get click and collect for a replacement bulb for my car.

Petrol $1.75

yeah last year i nearly sold my car because 98 was nearing $2/L then lockdown hit and made it OK again.

this lockdown its just been rolling on the same price as always.

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Do you often sing or whistle just for fun?
I humbly request pictures of the plover danger signs! We have heaps of them around here and they make nests in the dumbest places. Last year they made one right next to only entrance into the PCYC carpark and all the traffic going in and out had them in a constant state of attack.

Bird of the year is always a tough choice. I think this year I'll vote for something elusive that could use a bit of spotlight for conservation purposes.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

the best bird of the year .... the girl reading this 😌

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
I went to Subway and their toaster was broken.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
With not much else to do in Canberra during lockdown, locals are taking advantage of their break to walk along Canberra's lakes.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Strong Convections
May 8, 2008

Infinitum posted:

Petrol $1.75
Are you in Sydney? I've found that in Sydney in particular they go through cycles of ridiculousness. Like a week from now it'll drop back to 145 or so.
The regions tend to not go as low as Sydney on a good day, but the price is more stable, and doesn't go near as high.
Sydney seems to try to gouge people, but cycle it - maybe so there's no regulatory intervention? Canberra and Melbourne just don't cycle as deep as Sydney in my experience.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Are you in Sydney? I've found that in Sydney in particular they go through cycles of ridiculousness. Like a week from now it'll drop back to 145 or so.
The regions tend to not go as low as Sydney on a good day, but the price is more stable, and doesn't go near as high.
Sydney seems to try to gouge people, but cycle it - maybe so there's no regulatory intervention? Canberra and Melbourne just don't cycle as deep as Sydney in my experience.

Also depends on location in Sydney. there's 2 servos near me that are consistently charging 10c/L more than others because its a busier road.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

neighbours are out on the street yelling incoherently between gently caress off you cunts for awhile now

Toast King
Jun 22, 2007

Plovers are cool and I had a guy at work who was deathly afraid of them because he was 100% sure they could inject poison into you with their little spurs. He couldn't be convinced that venomous birds do not exist. And baby plovers are extremely cute

Synthbuttrange posted:

neighbours are out on the street yelling incoherently between gently caress off you cunts for awhile now

The classic neighbour experience right there. I got my last one just after midnight last night

Toast King fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Aug 19, 2021

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Yeah I'm in Sydney. It's hosed.

The servo just down the road in the other direction is $1.34

Shits hosed. Legit need a royal commission into it.

Carlos Lantana
Oct 2, 2003

I'm really sorry, your avatar is giving me a boner and while that is perfectly OK and I don't want to kink shame anyone, its making me feel really weird getting a boner in a Trump thread.

Sincerely,

Jailbrekr
plover t shirts a thing apparently

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Toast King posted:

Plovers are cool and I had a guy at work who was deathly afraid of them because he was 100% sure they could inject poison into you with their little spurs. He couldn't be convinced that venomous birds do not exist. And baby plovers are extremely cute

The classic neighbour experience right there. I got my last one just after midnight last night
Someone told me that as well, I wonder who started that rumour

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Im voting for Galahs.

All birds are cool though.

e: except mynas, native or otherwise.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

lol

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

I'm playing a 1 shot on the weekend as a Magpie Kenku Thief named Swoop

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Infinitum posted:

Yeah I'm in Sydney. It's hosed.

The servo just down the road in the other direction is $1.34

Shits hosed. Legit need a royal commission into it.

Welcome to the capitalist insanity of "competition zones".

Each competition zone is decided by each company on how likely it is that any group of people is to visit their sites versus another site in the area. If they decide they're about the same, they will price match those other sites.

But, if they decide people aren't going to drive to the other sites - because busy roads, traffic flow, industrial versus suburban clients, etc - they'll just charge the most they think they can get away with.

This means if you're driving home from work on a busy multi-lane road, the servo on your side of the road might be 20¢ more than what it is on the other side of the road because companies know most people aren't going to bother with crossing over a busy road, driving in the opposite direction to what they were originally going and then trying to cross back over the road to where they were in the first place.

My knowledge is pretty out of date as I haven't worked in a servo since I was a young lad, but I think only WA and one other state have a hard cap on fuel prices which makes things even worse.

And of course, the real kicker, from the list of federal level MP entitlements:

quote:

Private-plated vehicle: Every MP given a car from a list (typically a Holden, Ford or Toyota). MPs pay $711 a year and taxpayers pay all costs, including petrol, registration and servicing. Can be used for private and family reasons and can be driven by a staff member or family member.

Can't expect pollies to care about something which doesn't affect them or their families - and how much do you want to bet that government issued fuel card gets handed around to everyone in their family.

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Aug 19, 2021

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

bowmore posted:

Someone told me that as well, I wonder who started that rumour

It's an Australian animal, if you had to take a punt on whether it's venomous or not you're probably safe to go with the former

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Toast King posted:

this is nothing like the tv show i have been lied to

Maximum Sexy Pigeon
Jun 5, 2008

We must never speak of this!
Wait, who ate their sister's "protein pudding"?

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Infinitum posted:

I'm playing a 1 shot on the weekend as a Magpie Kenku Thief named Swoop

Should be a Bower bird imo

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
magpies also steal shiny things to make their nest so it tracks.

I got a bunch of fillings done today. They put anaesthetic into my lower jaw and drilled on the lower molars 4 times before I stopped feeling anything. Now it feels like I've been punched in the face from where they put all the needles in, shits hosed. Another day of court tomorrow, wish me luck. I am officially too much of a fat oval office to fit in any of the button ups I owned while bartending so I'm wearing a tshirt to court like an absolute fuckhead.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Plus imma swoop in and murder cunts

So it all tracks out.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum
My next door neighbours are putting up a dangerous dog enclosure. Their dog is placid, so I'm wondering what the go is.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

i love that feeling of euphoria you get when you're stressing hard about a test and then you nail it

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

I'm tripping right now... Don't fuck this up for me.

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

magpies also steal shiny things to make their nest so it tracks.

I got a bunch of fillings done today. They put anaesthetic into my lower jaw and drilled on the lower molars 4 times before I stopped feeling anything. Now it feels like I've been punched in the face from where they put all the needles in, shits hosed. Another day of court tomorrow, wish me luck. I am officially too much of a fat oval office to fit in any of the button ups I owned while bartending so I'm wearing a tshirt to court like an absolute fuckhead.

Been on the patented NVJ sourcream/aioli diet?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

I got a bunch of fillings done today. They put anaesthetic into my lower jaw and drilled on the lower molars 4 times before I stopped feeling anything. Now it feels like I've been punched in the face from where they put all the needles in, shits hosed.

I spent my life going to dentists whose idea of injecting me was to just jam the loving needle into my gum and then rummage around with the drill so roughly my whole mouth hurt for ages afterwards.

And I only just discovered it doesn't have to be like that.

The place I just started visiting after does sleep dentistry and prescribed me valium before the procedure.

loving amazing. Just, loving amazing.

I've had two appointments now and both have been absolutely pain and anxiety free. The first visit, I was in the chair for an hour and a half and it felt like five minutes. They were doing some heavy work in there and I was just lying back without a care in the world. Also, the dentist was amazingly considerate to my needs and did amazing work that didn't leave my whole face numb and drooling and feeling like I'd been punched by a truck for the next several days.

And the only difference in price to the regular (lovely, painful, stressful) dentistry I'd suffered through all my life was the $20 for a small bottle of valium pills.

tl;dr some dentists loving suck. If you can, find a new one who won't leave you feeling terrible.

And best of luck in court. Sadly there's no way to make that suck less.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
I was really stressed out I wasn't going to be able to eat anything for lunch until I realised I had a bunch of up n gos in the fridge. Lunch of champions. Got a quiche on the go for dinner as well so I'm hoping that won't be too much effort for the old chompers but tbh the numbness is mostly gone and its just the needle hole causing me grief

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maximum Sexy Pigeon
Jun 5, 2008

We must never speak of this!
I got a tooth out a few years back at a paupers dentist in Elizabeth in Adelaide's north.

Anesthetic just wouldn't do anything and I got sick of the prick jamming a needle into my gums so I told him to just take the thing out. The dentist asked "...Are you sure?" but by that point I hadn't slept the last two nights because of the toothache so I just wanted it done.

That loving sucked.

0/10