Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
Looking forward to an impossibly tanky support that exists to make Cinderace even more unbearable and A. Ninetales freeze lock you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Zodack posted:

Looking forward to an impossibly tanky support that exists to make Cinderace even more unbearable and A. Ninetales freeze lock you

Don't worry, no one pics supports in MOBA pubs so they get endlessly buffed, and then eventually break the meta, and you get to spend 6 months complaining on reddit (see Dota 7.29 w/ locket cold embrace Winter Wyvern and Aeon Disk)

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Zodack posted:

Me too, can't wait to slam pick her and ruin people's day. :getin:

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
again with this. Lost by 50 points. We were down, but me and a really good Lucario got Zapdos. The other three people on our team holding 50 points each with 30 sec left instead went to our jungle for kills instead of dunking on any of the four available goals. We also gave up Drewclaw two times. Great 4 3stars will be my graveyard.

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

Jerk McJerkface posted:

note, the lack of numbers and hard stats is infuriating in this game. Charging real money for items with obscured effects is :psyduck:

The reality is that all they do is make it so the community has to test it all and work out the math. So they just delay the inevitable, give us the stats, why hide?

i like not knowing the stats. if i know what the numbers are i have to be concerned about optimizing them. no numbers means I'm like gently caress it let's go for the shield

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Ghislaine of YOSPOS posted:

i like not knowing the stats. if i know what the numbers are i have to be concerned about optimizing them. no numbers means I'm like gently caress it let's go for the shield

I mean you can still like not look them up.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
It's nice everyone's as clueless as me though. Even playing field and all.

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

Jerk McJerkface posted:

I mean you can still like not look them up.

no, because then when I get pounded I'm not thinking "gently caress I should look up what the things do" or "that did HOW much damage?" or "that should have killed." im just vibing with my little hosed up annoying pelican.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
https://unite.pokemon.com/en-us/news/pokemon-unite-patch-8-16/

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

My Ninetales is getting 'bug fixes' on Aurora Veil. Which could mean anything.

Eject Button nerf, though. Not too surprising considering its 100% pick rate.

typhy
Oct 23, 2019

japanese site says ninteails passive isnt going to proc when youre hiding in grass any more

good changes all around, especially snorlax and eject button

e: whoops wrong move, i dont play ninetails
it says the bug with aurora veil was that it was increasing the passive chance when active

https://www.pokemonunite.jp/ja/news/16/

typhy fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Aug 17, 2021

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
they're never going to be able the balance eject button. it will have a 5 minute cooldown and everyone will still take it.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Nobody would take it if there were an eject button that went twice as far with half the cooldown, though.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Pamela Springstein posted:

they're never going to be able the balance eject button. it will have a 5 minute cooldown and everyone will still take it.

They'll buff the others. The cool time in a ten minute game is way too high for everything.

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

I’m in veteran and just lost because my team early forfeited like 5 minutes in after getting wiped on their t2 while I was farming as a cinderace. People are way too keen and greedy on trying to kill and score way too deep. The only time I’m willing to die in a fight is on drednaw or for stealing a Zapdos kill.

I think I like Ninetails more than cinderace, though I think cinderace tops at higher in the end game. This is all based on feeling though

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
I keep losing games when the announcer says "we're far behind" and two of my teammates just sit in base and give up. Meanwhile I've gotten two dreadclaw kills, I'm three levels up on them and I'm crushing them, I just don't want to feed by trying to dunk on t2.

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

Jerk McJerkface posted:

I keep losing games when the announcer says "we're far behind" and two of my teammates just sit in base and give up. Meanwhile I've gotten two dreadclaw kills, I'm three levels up on them and I'm crushing them, I just don't want to feed by trying to dunk on t2.

Yeah dunking on t2 is a mistake if it’s not the last two minutes imo. People also seem focused on closing out goals. The best thing to do if it’s kind 5/80 or 10/100 is to leave it up until the last two minutes so that someone can jam in an easier 100 points, it’s hard to defend the goals when more are still up. I wish people would get this instead of trying to surrender after five minutes of team fighting and scoring in the top lane while they ignore drednaw

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
I typically end up playing Jungle Gengar since even when someone calls jungle they kill that little 'mon and then rush to the first visible enemy in lane and leave the jungle.

I need to figure out when the power spike is, and how to use it. I typically jungle until lvl 5 for Sludge bomb, go to a lane get a couple kills, back to jungle until lvl 7 (hex combo online) and then it's usually 7:30 and Dredclaw time. Then after we get that kill I sort of don't know where to go to be effective. I think it's best to go back to jungle and try to get to lvl 11 to get an upgraded move, but maybe it's better to just sit on a goal and baby sit so it's not dunked on while your team wanders around.

I'm not sure, I just keep losing with a huge level advantage on them, but I have like 30 points.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

I end tons of games with a very small amount of points - there's just not a ton of opportunities to dunk once the T1s fall. If they're gone, I'm pretty much done scoring until Zapdos. Rotom is just too easy to defend against so unless I see a lot of enemies bottom I'm not gonna follow it and try to convert that into a goal. Zapdos feeds into this, too. It's really easy to look like you contributed a ton to the game when you get 100 free points.

I dunno, seems like a fair number of people here are having trouble climbing. Would people want to watch me stream laddering in Ultra sometime

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
Finally got to Expert and out of Great, and lost my first match. I was jungle Gengar and the game lagged for like 20s right when I started the rotate top and assist. Fortunately I was hiding in bushes, I never recovered on farm and we ended up losing. i was duo queue and that dude stole Zapdos and instead of dunking our team just ran around like idiots and got picked off.

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

i had mostly been playing this on handheld in bed or on the couch with the TV or a podcast on. i plugged it into the dock and immediately the chill vibes were gone. I was mad at my teammates for the first time in 30 games. the chill handheld vibes are gone and I don't know if they'll ever return

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
I was never able to find a good middle ground - in the low ranks almost no one has a brain and in the high ranks the games swing wildly. Both of my friends who play the game are Master as a function of bashing their heads into the ranked queue for four hours a day, and I'm nearly Ultra but I stopped when I realized the only fun I was having was lizard brain satisfaction of climbing.

Also bring me Blastoise and not Blissey

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

stop giving me all these squishy wimpy stuffed animals like Gardevoir, Blissy, and Sylveon, where the gently caress is my tankboy Blastoise

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)
Had a game last night: At the 8 min mark I went to spy on Zap since we were ahead and the opposing team would likely go for him, but while trying to get the mobs in the area I accidentally auto locked on Zap and began the confrontation. This pulled my allies into it, which was bad because then the opposing team will come in and snipe it. It was all going FUBAR! Then I saved the day from my own butterfingers. Zap hits pretty hard and in large area, so I just used Snorlax' block to shove the entire enemy team into Zap's pen. Then my screen exploded with lights and effects and 1.6 seconds later I was the only thing left standing and our team took the win. I guess my team ult the crap out of the pen but I honestly couldn't tell you what happened to kill the enemy team and zap.

Edit: also a quick question. When someone has a light bulb over their head does that mean they're using the EXP booster?

War Wizard fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Aug 17, 2021

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
This is some nonsense. Joined a stack, and immediately they all just four ran top, all died and then two guys went afk in base.

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

Anyone grouping in this game? Is it fun? None of my many many friends that I have that are just out of frame play this so I haven’t tried it out yet

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
did they just ad a 2100 coin weekly limit to the pokemon getting free currency, cause holy gently caress I'm out of they do.

Noonsaliwah
Sep 5, 2006
Shizne
Yes there’s the limit, but it’s always been there - it’s not newly added.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
Picked this up out of curiosity, is there a quick-start how-to-not-suck guide anywhere? I bought Gengar because, well, Gengar.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
https://mobile.twitter.com/PokemonUnite/status/1427981091919450117

free pikachu

mobile launches september 22

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Watching a Japanese player and it's actually insane how different their metagame is. Basically, everybody just farms all game and no one tries to score. Fights break out over Dreadnaw, but otherwise, everyone just sits back and farms until the 2:00 mark at which point both teams run directly to the enemy goals and trades goals. Unless a goal is totally free after an objective, no one is crossing the middle of the map and are just saving up. If it looks like Zapdos might be a lost cause, they all just run to the enemy goal and score. But, to go with this, it seems like the Kneepad item that gives you a shield during scoring is also very popular and I've seen a few people score goals when they would have otherwise been stopped, which might be huge.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
It’s pretty nice, my playstyle as Talonflame is to try to snipe goals when able with small amounts to build up Attack Weight stacks, and Score Shield helps me get away with that. It also lets me serve as a distraction, if two Pokemon are chasing me around wasting time trying to kill me, it’s still a net win as the farm game is currently 4v3.

I wouldn’t say I’m very successful at it or anything yet (still in Expert but I don’t play ranked too often), but I like having a playstyle that’s pretty unique compared to the rest of the meta, and it’s fun when it works.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Holy poo poo one thing she just said is that you lose more performance rank points for surrendering than just taking the loss

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Watching a Japanese player and it's actually insane how different their metagame is. Basically, everybody just farms all game and no one tries to score. Fights break out over Dreadnaw, but otherwise, everyone just sits back and farms until the 2:00 mark at which point both teams run directly to the enemy goals and trades goals. Unless a goal is totally free after an objective, no one is crossing the middle of the map and are just saving up. If it looks like Zapdos might be a lost cause, they all just run to the enemy goal and score. But, to go with this, it seems like the Kneepad item that gives you a shield during scoring is also very popular and I've seen a few people score goals when they would have otherwise been stopped, which might be huge.

This sounds like my play style, I also use the score barrier lol. I have a 61% win rate and should get ultra soon.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

I hope the mobile launch will include new servers for Sydney because while it's not terrible playing on what I assume are the SG servers, it's also not great.

The other thing from the presentation is that the next two Pokemon releases will be Mamoswine and Sylveon.

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Holy poo poo one thing she just said is that you lose more performance rank points for surrendering than just taking the loss

That's dumb. Super dumb. You shouldn't be punished for cutting your losses and saving everyone a few minutes of their time.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
Wait, there's no "quit match because two of my teammates are idling" button? You have to eat the good boy point hit or sit in a miserable losing slog for ten minutes?

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

MarquiseMindfang posted:

Wait, there's no "quit match because two of my teammates are idling" button? You have to eat the good boy point hit or sit in a miserable losing slog for ten minutes?

Nope, but in general GG buttons in MOBA's are a huge point of contention. LoL has them for pub matches, but not for Pro, but DOTA is the opposite, no GG in pubs, but Pro has it.

I'm of two minds on it, but I'm not sure how you are supposed to deal with someone that just goes idle in base at 5 minutes.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
lol so my kids 10 year old friend got on my switch and played a couple ranked matches on my Pokemon Unite account, despite never playing before he won both of then and got me to ranked up to Great.

edit; I asked him what happened and he say "eh, I picked Pikachu and played like I play Smash Bros and just went to the center of the map and killed everyone."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Has anyone bought Blissey? I played around with her a little bit in training mode, but it's hard to get a good feel for them there, obviously. I'd be interested to see how the heal on Soft Boiled compares to Eldegoss's Cotton Guard, and how much tankier she ends up being to make up for her melee attack vs Eldegoss ranged. I think the default other ability in solo queue is going to always be Egg Bomb -- Helping Hand might be really good if you've got a Greninja/Cinderace buddy that you play with, but personally I think it'd be a nightmare to play solo games with no offensive abilities and I wouldn't want to risk taking it and having a bunch of useless assholes on the team that don't take advantage of it.

Just on paper and without good numbers for her, I don't see her as being anything other than a second-rate Eldegoss -- Egg Bomb and its short CC seems roughly comparable to Leaf Tornado and its movement speed, and Soft Boiled seems roughly comparable to Cotton Guard (unless it turns out to heal for much more?) so I don't see a good reason to give up the good harassment that Eldegoss can do with his ranged autos.