Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

journos self-organizing is a parody - i was listening to a Vice gaming podcast where one of the hosts mentions a recent big fight between Vice management and the employees's union was whether the union could have a holiday party on-premise

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
i would unleash forbidden techniques upon nathan robinson, destroying him utterly

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

Rectal Death Adept posted:

I have a feeling that if Trump responded to our military brutally murdering desperate people as we scramble in a desperate retreat by being unable to guess when it even happened just two days later the response would be ...extremely different to say the least

we shot some folks.

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

biggest hochul head in china

Dr. Killjoy posted:

in the battle between the fancy lad sheepdog for Joe Biden and his cadre of sheepdogs for Joe Biden, I'm gonna have to side with the guy who has done more harm to sheepdogs for Joe Biden

pete buttigieg?

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

she's so right

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches
https://www.gawker.com/media/the-implosion-at-current-affairs

lol this is pitiful

quote:

For Robinson’s part, he argued the emotion came from a frustration in what he thought was “an erosion of the vision [he] had when [he] co-founded the magazine” five years ago. Specifically, the erosion was in their revenue — subscription growth had flatlined and web traffic was declining. He felt the magazine wasn’t putting out its best work, was becoming “a little bureaucratic,” and “just didn’t have a clear sense of its mission.”

“I think that kind of frustration boiled over,” Robinson said, “and I did something that was irrational and impulsive and did not respect the colleagues who have given so much to the magazine and that I basically immediately regretted.”

The day after the Zoom, the staff had two planning meetings for the next year of the magazine and its in-house podcast. But Robinson cancelled those in an email, adding “further information to come.” The further information, it turned out, was that Silcox had been removed from Slack. As had another employee. Here’s Gauthreaux:

quote:

It was one by one. I got a text from Allegra saying “I can’t get into Slack.” Someone else said, “Oh, neither can I.” And then I was still in the Sack, but I called Nathan and I said “I don’t know what’s going on. Do you want to tell me what’s going on?” And then I just asked him, “Do I still have a job?” And he said: “No, I’m afraid not.”

For the next few hours, the staff said “it was absolute chaos.” No one knew who was staying or leaving. They were in the middle of a print issue — some first drafts had already come in. Eventually, Gold, Silcox, and Gauthreaux each received emails from Robinson asking for their immediate resignation.

Technically, he wasn’t allowed to fire them. A few months earlier, the staff had implemented an “employment protection policy” — which required that Robinson implement a two-week performance plan for any firing other than “harassment or gross misconduct.” The emailed requests, Silcox said, reflected “some awareness” that he couldn’t legally fire them.

Robinson’s emails included some “extremely nasty things” about their performance, their dedication to the magazine, and how they had disappointed him. But within 24 hours, he sent them all apologies, saying — by way of Silcox’s paraphrase — “Okay, all the stuff I said yesterday was not true. I was trying to be as hurtful as possible.”

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Terror Sweat posted:

Lmao at all the weak rear end bitches in this thread pretending to be strong. You wouldn't be able to stuff a pillow into a locker, let alone another human being. Not me though, I'm fat and strong

You're supposed to be permabanned Tezzor

Repulsive in like every possible way

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

500 good dogs posted:

tbh I probably wouldve been friends with him in high school I was also a loser

it sounds like he needed to fail out of school tbh

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

good for him. big score, big life

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

Judge Dredd Scott posted:

online politics have been just top notch lately. just A+ content for the last week or so

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Nathan is also an attorney with the Sarasota County Teen Court, where first-time offenders in misdemeanor trials are judged by teen juries.

Holy lmao

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Shageletic posted:

Nathan is also an attorney with the Sarasota County Teen Court, where first-time offenders in misdemeanor trials are judged by teen juries.

Holy lmao

this month's teen jury magazine is scandalous

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Shageletic posted:

Holy lmao

Teen Jury sounds like an extremely lovely gag TV show from the late 80s

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Shageletic posted:

Holy lmao

lol

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Mock Trial with Nathan Robinson

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

leftism is just an aesthetic to a lot of posers and losers, but somehow nathan fucks up the aesthetic

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

Dr. Killjoy posted:

in the battle between the fancy lad sheepdog for Joe Biden and his cadre of sheepdogs for Joe Biden, I'm gonna have to side with the guy who has done more harm to sheepdogs for Joe Biden

Pete Buttigieg?

EDIT: gently caress

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Shageletic posted:

Holy lmao

"Teen juries" what the gently caress?

Why would I want teenagers on a jury?

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

punk rebel ecks posted:

"Teen juries" what the gently caress?

Why would I want teenagers on a jury?

ostensibly, per the requirements of 'jury of your peers'

functionally, because it's even easier for whoevers got more money to run circles around a bunch of teenagers than it is to run circles around a bunch of average jury members

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

just lmao if you can't get out of teen jury duty

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
what the gently caress is it with Filipinos and lovely takes on food lately

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
teen jury sounds like a gag from either arrested development or 30 rock

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Laterite posted:

teen jury sounds like a gag from either arrested development or 30 rock

i'm thinking it's an episode of parks and rec where they find the kid messing up the park and his trial is by teen jury. leslie has some kind of award from her own time as a teen juror and thinks the kids will take it as seriously as she did only to find out that they do not in fact care at all and the kid gets let go despite overwhelming evidence

Rubellavator has issued a correction as of 07:49 on Aug 19, 2021

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Nichael posted:

Mock Trial with Nathan Robinson

mock trial was badass

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

gradenko_2000 posted:

too... ethnic?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Regarde Aduck posted:

too... ethnic?

she's been melting down about this all morning but basically what she's trying to say is that a cup of steamed rice isn't presentable, so Filipino cuisine is never going to rise to the level of haute as long as "we" keep serving dishes with rice

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
:stare: christ

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Eggplant Squire posted:

The one credit I will give Biden here is that he is so stubborn that the withdrawal may stick, at least in terms of on the ground troops (we will be sanctioning them of course for no reason). With a more squishy Democrat I feel like they already would have been bullied by our evil, bloodthirsty media into starting Afghanistan part 2 already.

They left all that military equipment behind to drum up the reason for Afghanistan 2. but it won't be right now, that's not palatable

SpaceGoku
Jul 19, 2011

the job of afghanistan 2 (2) will be kamala's to start (and not finish)

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

gradenko_2000 posted:

what's her opinion on home indentured servants i wonder

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Smythe posted:

mock trial was badass

I was on mock trial in college. What I learned is that most professional judges and lawyers are dumbasses who can barely follow a carefully constructed narrative thats been practiced and honed for months like a play

Also they're sexist as gently caress. A hot girl will *always* score higher as a witness but usually lower as an attorney

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Also its hilarious the amount of people tripping over themselves to give Biden credit for being so presidential and sticking to the withdrawal, as if he had a choice while they're still trying to evacuate. If Biden has managed to keep the American dick out of Afghanistan by this time next year I'll give credit.

And earlier 'based Biden' was trending because Biden is going after anti-mask mandates, which is great, but its also like three months too late to matter.

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

https://twitter.com/NathanJRobinson/status/1410297153604526083?s=19

lol

Edit:

https://twitter.com/NathanJRobinson/status/1414315324300738560?s=19

lmao

PhilippAchtel has issued a correction as of 11:10 on Aug 19, 2021

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

i'm confused here, first she says that he isn't something and then right after she says that he is just that

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

gradenko_2000 posted:

she's been melting down about this all morning but basically what she's trying to say is that a cup of steamed rice isn't presentable, so Filipino cuisine is never going to rise to the level of haute as long as "we" keep serving dishes with rice

*looks at plate of basmati rice*

what the gently caress

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

hes extremely credible in these tweets

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Regarde Aduck posted:

too... ethnic?

white rice, a bizarre ethnic delicacy that only tribal filipinos who grew up on the stuff can keep down without gagging

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
if white rice isn't able to be haute cuisine then the next thing you'll tell me is slim jims floating in mountain dew could never be classy and i think a little chef by the name of Guy Fieri might have something to say about that

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

You take that Fieri slander out of this thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jay-V
Nov 8, 2009
How can he ensure the paper remains staunchly pro-union if he doesn't retain complete control over it? :smug: