Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Thank you for your patience! Life delays, resolution of the vote later today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

It's like a cold chemical flame in your belly, when you first feel it take hold.

https://i.imgur.com/iAzTiwR.mp4

PRESSURE: [ ♢ ][ ♢ ][ ♢ ][ ♢ ][50%]

Four kobolds watch as disaster begins to unfold. You feel your legs walk as if you're on Tyrant Road. But no, it has to be you- Just You. Effortless through the pressure as the cold fever worms into your worried soul. Dread crown reminders, so quiet, drown under the million miles of that mountain trauma. You're going to deform. Softly, you're bending under the force of the gravity-price.

You're walking towards them so diamond perfect. So lowbound with intent. The visible three raise eyes to look at you, their shared sneers wiped clean when they realize that you're not coming to play their game of Secret Masters. They see something dark, a「GRAVITY」, weight that demands that their egos abide. The walk of a slow comet towards an unsuspecting solar system.

The first thing you do is break the staredown stride to give a goof-tooth hi hi hi to the foxdie, the man whose plan is to scream 'FANG' until the end. Disarm him, alarm him, with a hi hi hi. Jono stares back; he tilts his head.

You twist to about-face the attentive Ogre King, to give him a secret to make his heart sing.

(!Darkness - Divine) 10 - [3]+[1]+[4] = 8 - Success...
[-3 HP]

Your fingertips gently touch his tigershade cheek as you walk past with relentless regality. Your other hand adjusts your tie. Something is revealed to him, a True Hidden, something that makes him writhe back at the thought, his hands drawn up in defense. Faith shakes in ferocity, from a true that even you aren't privy to, in you walk without Tyrant intent. But it touches him. It softens him. It wrenches his sacred to its pleading knees. It cannot deny it has felt something - Holy Holy Holy. Karsudan gasps his inhale, and steps further back once he recognizes the color of my-

The Dark Waits Watching posted:

No no no... not 'my' not 'me' not 'I'; just YOU.

PRESSURE: [ ♢ ][ ♢ ][ ♢ ][ ♢ ][ ♢ ][60%]

Just you in walk, diamond-damned to keep it just you; comes next that serpentine, ferocity neon lean, wounded mighty mean. So courageously obscene. You want to cower before her size and killquick, but diamond don't, so you won't, and stand tall to tell her easy ease: Paprika Blue, sez said 2 u - two in the Florida pink, but keep the tailtip out of the stink!

Hollywood don't lie. Her eyes narrow pink, and her nose twists in stink, but then she has to stop to think. Neon sweat races down her neck, little little electrabrights skizzing between the drops. She's confused. She's coiling. She's confounded. She thinks she must be much, much more gone than the eyeballed pills promised, because a red-suit shadow-scrawn is talking to her with Paprika-speak. When Backup hit both Back and Up in a joyride, they learn to speak even and take the bend. So she circles back to the side, eyes wide, scratching her tuft of hair. She knows immediately she's done right to take bend, when she sees the SHAPE now forming at the fringes of her feelings.

The shape you are beginning to form. When Hollywood slithers aside, she reveals the man behind door number four. Shirt soaked, beard unkept, eyes wild. He doesn't have time to react. You're walking, walking so fast now with arms open and I must I must I must I INSIST.

You don't-

I do.

I walk. I walk towards Deimos and you fight, all with a smile, so under-pressure calm, furious sick in submission.

I wrench it away, I steal the say. I sing-song out loud - Deimos! Deimos! Deimos!

PRESSURE: [ ♢ ][ ♢ ][ ♢ ][ ♢ ][ ♢ ][ ♢ ][70%]

I watch his reaction chain. From indignant at the serpent, to surprised by her sudden movement, to unsure of what I was as I walked, to panic as his unsober eyes flare so sharp with recognize, to that song-note shout high of animal reaction when he sees it's me, it's me it's me it's ME!

Then a gun to my head. One pull to drop dead. Ogre and Wolf and Snake all see it, and they flinch at the report. Deimos careens down to the water, shiny shoes all soaked, and I give it the most wonderful five seconds of pretend before I SPRING to my feet, hands stretched out ta-daaaaaaaaa~

Deimos doesn't like it! Oh no! Look look, he's fuming. Look look, he's MAD! I wait, I bait, I anticipate. Hands behind my back. I don't even pay attention to the others, patient patient, brazen uncaring while those murderers mighty watch behind me. I feel the diamond keening.

The Agent steps up. He isn't going to take this anymore, is he? Not going to let it happen again in front of all his friends, WILL he? So he walks, a little walk of his own, carnelian-crazed in his skull. He's going to get violent. He's going to try risking a Tyrant! He thinks the others will step to his defense... bub͢B̸BB̴́̕b̴͡b̛B̴̷̀ut can͏̴̹̻̺̩̩̮͇̖̺̼. they. dͫ̆͒ͪŏ̈́ͮ͂̑͠. it.

(̶w͡h̶͟͠e̵͠͏n̷͞)͟
̛͟(́h͠e͘ ̢͟͜wa̵̢̕lk͠s͞͏̧)̀

(͞Kad͡a͡th ͏R̴ȩga͜l͡i͘á̶ -̸ Regal͠it͝y) ̨19͝ ͘-̵ [̧2̸]+[3]+̶[1]̀ =̡ 6 -͜ ̸SU͜C͟CE̡S̵S͟.

(̸͜҉́I̢̡ǹ͟ ͏̸̶̛T̡̀͢͞͞ḩ́é̡͟ ̶́͠͡P̸͏̀͏̧a҉̀ŗ͝à̧͟͟͜d̷͜e̡͏)̸̡

PRESSURE: [ ♢ ][ ♢ ][ ♢ ][ ♢ ][ ♢ ][ ♢ ][ ♢ ][80%] [SHATTER RIpaproc smiles]

Rubix Squid
Apr 17, 2014
Eat poo poo Deimos :getin:

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I love how, if there's one thing that'll get Tyrant to come out, it's loving with Deimos.

Grond
Mar 31, 2016
I like how the Kobolds are well away from the crazy poo poo that's about to happen in their little corner. Smart guys. While Paproc is just there chillin with a big smile. We should hang out more with the guy, he seems nice, I don't sense anything wrong with him at all tbh.

We're gonna crash out of the Grace under Pressure with 80% Tyranny, this is gonna be fun. Did we still have the Boarger buff active? I'm getting the feeling we're gonna need it after this.

Grond fucked around with this message at 12:30 on Aug 17, 2021

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Rubix Squid posted:

Eat poo poo Deimos :getin:

:yeah: I am sure it will be worth whatever unreasonbly dangerous poo poo is about to transpire

cokerpilot
Apr 23, 2010

Battle Brothers! Stop coming to meetings drunk and trying to adopt Tevery Best!

Lord General! Stop standing on the table and making up stupid operation names!

Emperor, why do I put up with these people?
Thread: Man it seems tricky but we really are going to try for a good end here. We need to be careful not to let Tyrant take control and make us do something we don't want to d...

Black August: Hey look, it's Deimos.

Thread: RRRRRRRRRRRRREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Princey
Mar 22, 2013
Right?

Don't get me wrong, Deimos is a little poo poo and I can't fault the thread for wanting to gently caress with him constantly, but it probably undermines our larger goals a little to gleefully abandon any attempt at self-control the second That Guy We Don't Like shows up.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Hey now, there was no indication that Tyrant would have popped up just because we wanted to gently caress with Deimos. Though it was pretty funny and there's actually a decent chance that this confrontation ends relatively painless (well, other than whatever pain Deimos' ego suffers from pissing himself in fear). This was a situation that was quickly spiraling into a fight, we intervened and distracted 3 of the 4 long enough for us to hopefully deal with the main source of the escalation (who, coincidentally, we also enjoy loving with).

Sure the werewolf WANTED a fight, but he wasn't actively stirring up poo poo.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Even She Was Scared Of How ANGRY You'd Get posted:

Two slight hands on your shoulders. Bella's face rigid with willing intervention. She's chanting it over and over, encouraging you, trying with all her love to help you out of your state of mind.

"Frankie says relax. Frankie says relax. Frankie says relax."

You start to say it with her. Gritted teeth, muscles worming hot, fists clenched and hand bitten bloody. You say it, over and over, until you feel yourself start to listen. Then, Bella starts laughing. You open your eyes to glare, but she's already collapsed back into her chair, struggling to keep her mirth sealed. She's apologizing, and your understanding of her pours cold water on the enraged thought that she's laughing AT you. So, you ask her why.

She smiles and rubs her eyes, coughing. "It's- 'Frankie says relax'. Just how focused and intense you were, and then I remembered what it originally meant." You're not following, and the confusion drags you another step away from the dark place. Bella notices, and you feel her mind gently reaching to the far far back, of her last life. "Ahh, hahaha. It meant 'chill out before you premature'. So y'know, it works great with similar principles. Like getting REAL crank-one-off mad."

She's giggling, and you feel it happen again- that sudden helpless relief when you just abandon the anger, body shivering to tired jelly. You're laughing too, imagining your face as you growl the mantra. You look out the stain glass windows of her little room, and pick up your gone-cold coffee. There's a moment's mercy while you relax in snickering silence. You try your luck by asking something new - you ask Bella if Frankie was the one who coined the term.

The sylvan smiles sad, pearl-cobweb hair catching stray light to turn it starry halo. "Ah, nah. It was the other way around. He loved that phrase, and when we ran away to earthside before the end, I said he should just call himself 'Frankie'. And, well, I was already Bella by then because he wouldn't call me any goddamn thing else. ...we just left our old names behind. Let Solomon keep his devils."

You want to ask more, but she's wrinkled with recall. Then she looks at you, face painted with stain-glass shadow. "That's why Frankie actually loved the phrase. He was... angry. He was loving sick with it. After all we went through, he found he got tired of it. So he tried to do something different. He looked at anger, studied the mortal word, and wanted to know how to be angry with the right person, and to the right degree, and at the right time, and for the right purpose, and in the right way."

She grabs some Cadanzan grapes from a bowl. "Not easy.”

You finish your coffee and recline, distant, for now, from the red-gut fury.

No. It's not.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 204 days!
parades are fun. i'm glad we invited deimos. dude needs to relax a little, take it easy and just watch the show.

OneWingedDevil
Aug 27, 2012
Frankie also says "Don't do it", but we're not the best at following his advice.

Is the POV switch from "You" to "I" related to our murderous intent? It might be what Tyrant was referring to when he commented on our POV language as well, we can use it differently depending on what's piloting at the moment.

There's also a chance that our Grace Under Pressure didn't shatter? Or if it did, it'll have unusual effects. PAPROC, glitched being that it is right now, seems to have interrupted the trigger of the shatter with his own smile trigger.

Radio Free Walrus
May 16, 2015
Our monomaniacal intent to gently caress with Deimos also serves to immediately inform other factions that we detest MC&D, which may have diplomatic benefits later on. We're also hanging out with the Backup and giving Kaigen's faithful something to think about in the process!

Grond
Mar 31, 2016

Radio Free Walrus posted:

Our monomaniacal intent to gently caress with Deimos also serves to immediately inform other factions that we detest MC&D, which may have diplomatic benefits later on. We're also hanging out with the Backup and giving Kaigen's faithful something to think about in the process!

Yeah, the Kaigen thing is, uh, I don't think it's that good tbh. I'm pretty sure Kaigen's fate was to confront a hero, possibly the Town Guard chief/Emperor of Heaven (which would explain his war on the colony, not that these guys need that much of an excuse for that though). Us signaling we carry that fate within us is probably painting a huge target in our backs whenever he sees we can walk the walk.

OneWingedDevil posted:

Is the POV switch from "You" to "I" related to our murderous intent? It might be what Tyrant was referring to when he commented on our POV language as well, we can use it differently depending on what's piloting at the moment.

It's the Tyrant taking control from "You"/Anxiety. Which is good right now, 80% Anxiety would gently caress us up before we pull off whatever it is we're gonna do after the Voorish Sign cast.

AFAIK we haven't ever gotten an option to proc Murderous Intent as the Tyrant. I think that whenever we've seen Murderous Intent as "You" it has been due to a loss of self-control. "This thing wants to hurt me so I have to kill it." Like when we tried to pull out our gun just after meeting Kaigen. Whereas whenever we're the Tyrant, I think we should probably be able to control and channel that anger instead of it being able to control us. You know, infinite self-control, being of pure will and determination, yadda yadda.

Black August posted:

The sylvan smiles sad, pearl-cobweb hair catching stray light to turn it starry halo. "Ah, nah. It was the other way around. He loved that phrase, and when we ran away to earthside before the end, I said he should just call himself 'Frankie'. And, well, I was already Bella by then because he wouldn't call me any goddamn thing else. ...we just left our old names behind. Let Solomon keep his devils."

I wonder who of the 72 devils "Frankie" was. I don't think we have any info on that.

Grond fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Aug 18, 2021

Grond
Mar 31, 2016
Also I'm thinking Crocell might be the emperor of Hell, possibly. She or Bella, but Bella wasn't part of the expedition I think.

OneWingedDevil
Aug 27, 2012

Grond posted:

It's the Tyrant taking control from "You"/Anxiety.

I don't think in this case. I'm looking at this section.

Black August posted:

Karsudan gasps his inhale, and steps further back once he recognizes the color of my-

The Dark Waits Watching posted:

No no no... not 'my' not 'me' not 'I'; just YOU.
The Tyrant isn't in control when we start slipping into different pronouns/font. He specifically states as much! So it seems like we can embrace the "Tyrant" in us without actually involving the Tyrant.

If it's not Murderous Intent, then I think our protagonist is simply projecting any violent/domineering impulses as though they were the Tyrant. Sometimes it is the Tyrant, sometimes it's not, sometimes the Tyrant just doesn't care enough to correct us when we can't tell the difference.

So the thread isn't allowed to blame the Tyrant about what we did to Deimos. He told us early on that he wasn't involved in this, loving with Deimos was our choice and we're wrong to pin it on him.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

OneWingedDevil posted:

I don't think in this case. I'm looking at this section.

The Tyrant isn't in control when we start slipping into different pronouns/font. He specifically states as much! So it seems like we can embrace the "Tyrant" in us without actually involving the Tyrant.

If it's not Murderous Intent, then I think our protagonist is simply projecting any violent/domineering impulses as though they were the Tyrant. Sometimes it is the Tyrant, sometimes it's not, sometimes the Tyrant just doesn't care enough to correct us when we can't tell the difference.

So the thread isn't allowed to blame the Tyrant about what we did to Deimos. He told us early on that he wasn't involved in this, loving with Deimos was our choice and we're wrong to pin it on him.

...wait, who's BLAMING the Tyrant for loving with Deimos? It just seemed like they wanted to join in on playing with our toy.

OneWingedDevil
Aug 27, 2012

Randalor posted:

...wait, who's BLAMING the Tyrant for loving with Deimos? It just seemed like they wanted to join in on playing with our toy.

"Blaming the Tyrant" was the wrong thing for me to say. It should be "believing the Tyrant had anything to do with this".

I'm pretty sure the person saying "I" at the end wasn't the Tyrant, it was Anxiety, as the Tyrant already corrected us once to say they weren't were in charge right now. Anxiety just can't conceive of those thoughts coming from anything but the Tyrant even when they belong to Anxiety, hence the tone change still happening.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

It's me now. Just. Me.

I clench my fist and smile at the Agent. Geometry begins to betray, sliding out into the clean curves of the Parade's route. Colors deepen, bleeding into sheets across the air. I can see it! The approaching shape! Marching still those six trillion miles, mourning mad the loss of the God, phantoms superimposed over the waking world. Ivory metals, poison golds, bloody silks; all resplendent. Do you see? This is why I will walk when I please. They will know me by my intent, and every footstep will harden their bowels with ice. The others can't quite make out the shape yet, but they can feel its color draped over the swamp, forcing them to gather close in concern. This is victory.

But then,

Deimos starts to laugh.

(Deimos - Fright Check!) 14 - [1]+[4]+[1] = 6 - Success.

"Hey. Hey. Hey. Do you... do you not know?"

He's looking at the shape of the Parade, and his mind is utterly clear! There is no fear! The colors sheet-swim around us as he comes closer out of the water, gesturing. "Of course you don't! You're a stupid shitgoblin. MC&D rules the Dream."

He points to the phantom skyline, where now I can make out a building that stands orbital tall. A clean building. A black building. A windowed building. A brutal building. A corporate building.

"They bought Kadath. They own that power. All that impossible sacrament is just an ASSET. I've seen the Parade pass by a thousand times from the cushy apartment I have up there."

His teeth, bared. Hands spread. Menace starting to boil over with spittle on the lips.

"So why the gently caress would that spook me? Mythos corpses masturbating in tears down a neverending street."

Oh God.

PRESSURE: [ ♢ ][ ♢ ][ ♢ ][ ♢ ][ ♢ ][ ♢ ][ ♢ ][ ♢ ][90%] [SHATTER RISK!!]

The diamond shell is shivering, scintillating, singing. I...

"BUT! That's not why you're braindead dumb." I take one step back as his mania flares, the carnelian heat of his diplomatic drug rage turned from Hollywood and onto me. I can feel it. Something I should have forseen. Something stupid I did. Braindead. Shitgoblin.

He's gesturing to Jono and Karsudan, clapping with a maître d' announcement of sales perfection. "So you want to stay safe from MC&D. But I'm not going to let you have Merkja as a token to buy back in, no. But this? Right here?" I take another step back as he reveals the stomach-drop.

"This one is personally wanted by the top three. Escaped from poor old Appletown, even helped to break it down. You want an immediate pardon for everyone that Kaigen has hosed over with his stunt? You just bring this fuckfreak in and you win."

Both Kings looks at one another, and then at me. My hands are hot and itchy. I- I have to...

Deimos takes another sudden big stomping step forward, hands splayed as he leers. "You want to know what else I know? That I can't hear a lick of your PSI right now. What, did you borrow it? Does that mean I can just..."

(Carnelian Chance) 22 - [4]+[2]+[5] = 11 - Success.

NO! Please, no! I step back as I feel the red lances flow and SLAM into my thoughts. They're reaching in! No silver no silver no ch- the mushrooms. THE MUSHROOMS! THEY MUST WORK. THEY KEEP WORKING. THEY HAVE TO!

(MUSHROOM MIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII-) 11 - [4]+[6]+[3] = 13 - FAILURE.

-iiiiiiiiiiinnnnn....d.

PRESSURE: [ ♢ ][ ♢ ][ ♢ ][ ♢ ][ ♢ ][ ♢ ][ ♢ ][ ♢ ][ ♢ ][100%] [SHATTERING IMMINENT!!]

The shape of the Parade melts entirely away, my soul stinging fierce with the price. There's nothing to stop it.

The Agent circles me on the mossy-wet pavement. I can't move. I- I can't think. He's inside, wormed to the cortex, tearing through every encounter I've had, twisting the social situation against me, poisoning my luck. I have no defense. I have no out. Just scalding humiliation, bleeding through the myriad cracks of the diamond.

"Ok. You've been a busy bitch. A big bastard. Yeah, Merkja, that's a given. Oh... lot of talk with those death cults." He waggles his eyebrows at Hollywood, who has gone uncomfortably quiet as she takes in Deimos' sudden change of target.

I can't get him out. He's seeing it all, carnelian spikes softly ripping into every bond. Looking at me like meat on a spreadsheet.

"Woah. You're good with some aliens? And CATS? Cats. I find that. Very. loving. INTERESTING." Spittle and ground teeth. He makes it a grin for his two Kings, who still stand with the silence of those who know that they don't have context, and need to wait out the mania to get it. But God, God no, they're wary but he has them interested.

"That's riiiiiiiight, fuckup! I see it - every little conversation. Everything I can turn against you. Do you GET it this time, shitheap? This was what mastery of the「Carnelian Chance」 is capable of."

I need to act. I need to- you- you have to think of a way out of- but I don't see- you suck back the hot tears, diamond flensing your emotions. I can't. You have to do it. My intent isn't- why did this have to happen? Your mind is so slow and scrambled, those awful little lances rooting you to the spot as your diamond fights to keep me to keep us to keep it keep it cool keep it cool Frankie says relax Frankie says relax Frankie says we just have to relax I just need to pull my gun you just need to get this done I-

(THUNDERSTRUCK) 18 - [6]+[2]+[1] = 9 - Success!

Karsudan ducks. Jono weaves to the side. The kobolds hit the deck. The hound joins them. The ogre guards press to the wall of the half-sunk building. They do this in the split second it takes for the Hollywood Viper to suddenly groan in annoyance and spin in place, using her immense tailbulk like a cracked whip. The tip flies out and SNAPS the sound barrier right next to Deimos, sending him flying limply into the water.

[Deimos takes 14 damage!]

I stare in shock. The carnelian lances pull back, and dissipates into black. I-

We posted:

You can't. You have to stop me.

(You) 19 - [3]+[1]+[5] = 9 - You stand back up, out of the dark.
vs
(Me) 19 - [4]+[5]+[5] = 14 - And I don't have the clarity of intent to refuse.

This is what has to be understood - Just. You. But there's no time to lament it. The lack of silver and mushroom and dark, the awful violet seed squirming around your soul, the carnelian burns, being marked as a way for these hyperpredators to win amnesty. Hollywood let's out a scream of enthusiasm, her tail still sparking. She flaps her hands in mockery.

"Yalk yalk yalk yalk yalk yalk yalk yalk POP. All he likes is yalk yalk yalk, so mouse get the treatment. Papreeeka tell me no stink on my tip so what I go and do but let down little Blue, got mangrease all over me."

You need to act. Now. This is your one window.

Your diamond needs a single push more, and you'll drown in the shattered deluge. Have to do something before it gets that tap tap. But what is the paproc can smell it in you now best thing to do?

PRESSURE: [ ♢ ][ ♢ ][ ♢ ][ ♢ ][ ♢ ][ ♢ ][ ♢ ][ ♢ ][ ♢ ][100%] [SHATTERING IMMINENT!!]

[Voting ends early afternoon, along with a sheet update.]

t3isukone
Dec 18, 2020

13km away
No more games. We really do not want to let Deimos go with this knowledge and power over us. And at least Hollywood...kind of likes us? Sort of?

Grond
Mar 31, 2016
Well that could've gone better.

Yeah, at this stage killing the guy is the best option. Well, the best option would've been to not go out and involve ourselves in their fight just to keep trolling the guy for shits and giggles, but hindsight is 20/20.
We're already at war with MC&D, leaking all that info would be disastrous. We'll have to see what effect does that have in our psyche if we pull it off. I just hope we don't lose this fight so close to Megalith though, we've just escaped MC&D. Getting captured by them again would be like going in circles.

OneWingedDevil posted:

Yeah, that's possible as well. We are in the diamond status (didn't that shatter?) so it's not like we're going to see if we were about to go into an anxiety or tyranny high. Ultimately though, whatever the origin of the Tyrant and "You" may be, they share a mind now. I don't think the distinction between them is as clear-cut as we believe it is, especially after seeing Anxiety refer to itself as "I" in the passage you've quoted. I think they may be both aspects of the same person instead of different personalities outright, but who knows.

I still don't know why one feels responsible for killing Kwiat while the other doesn't, but well, it's not like we've even seen or heard anything about that apart from what Smiercia told us.

Black August posted:

He's gesturing to Jono and Karsudan, clapping with a maître d' announcement of sales perfection. "So you want to stay safe from MC&D. But I'm not going to let you have Merkja as a token to buy back in, no. But this? Right here?" I take another step back as he reveals the stomach-drop.

"This one is personally wanted by the top three. Escaped from poor old Appletown, even helped to break it down. You want an immediate pardon for everyone that Kaigen has hosed over with his stunt? You just bring this fuckfreak in and you win."

So the ogres have Merkja after we mauled her and they're trying to ally themselves with MC&D yet again by using her as a bargaining chip. And it looks like the apples really took over the containment site. The players only ever see the site after it was taken over by it, that's why it's known as the fortress of apples to them.

Grond fucked around with this message at 11:29 on Aug 19, 2021

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

Intriguing that the Tyranny of "Me" needs "You" to resume control, but even so will try to fight it.

But I agree, Deimos has outlived his entertainment value now. We don't know exactly how much he's seen - and if he's seen Kwiat, MC&D could probably take her hostage to control us.

Also, look at the message it sends to the others - that we are not weak prey to be used as a bargaining chip.

Grond
Mar 31, 2016
Yeah, pretty much. Hollywood is not going to gently caress with us, but showing weakness to the Wolves and the Ogres would mean we would be even more hosed than we are right now.

It's pretty funny how our best ally right now is the Backup cult, of all things.

Grond fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Aug 19, 2021

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I don't know if it's because we hung out with Dancer/Blue, so we feel more "comfortable" with her crew, or if it's just the "Singer" part of us bleeding through so we have some idea on how to hang with them. Either way, so far they've been relatively good people. Questionable habits, but good people.

Stoner Sloth
Apr 2, 2019

So have we lost our 'shrooms?

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Stoner Sloth posted:

So have we lost our 'shrooms?

No. They're just on cooldown from abuse like the Silver Mind and the Dark.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

They say you learn more from failure than you do from success, so let's learn what we can:

*MC&D staff are (probably) immune to the Regalia (and probably all Dreamland) effects
*We're Enemy Number One for MC&D right now
*MC&D blames us at least partially for the destruction of the containment facility (fair enough)
*Grace Under Pressure can reach 100% without ending
*The Kings have Merkja currently
*Deimos seemed pissed that we have friends in aliens and cats. Wonder if it's because he saw us vomit on him.

I'll be curious to see what the two Kings do, on the one hand, we have a very powerful Backup helping us out at the moment, they've just been told we're partially responsible for bringing down an MC&D containment facility, one of them didn't want a fight in the first place, and that Merkja's useless to them. On the other hand, they were also told that all sins will be forgiven if they capture us.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Clarification: The Kings do not have Merkja. They want her as a bargain chip, but Deimos has dibs.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

VOTING CLOSED - React Heavy

[Murderous Intent] END IT! NOW! loving SHOOT HIM DEAD! - 18
Beg Hollywood for clemency. Try with all your wit to appeal to her. [!Tyranny-7 Check] - 3
Duck inside the building while everyone is still stunned! - 0
Take off into the swamp and pray you'll find the way. [DX Check] - 0

...LOADING

t3isukone
Dec 18, 2020

13km away
thank you cornstarch

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I.. must... pet... the... floof...

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

It Happened So Suddenly posted:

"VINCENT!"

Cassandra's scream is lost in the din of chaos. She stops running across the swampy pavement, just in time to avoid a summoned surge of green jellyfish which rocket out from the waters and snake-slide to the other side, crashing into an ogre on their way. A quick bend-flick of her wrist burns a path through, allowing her to reach the Winter Knight.

He's slumped against the building near the door, the dryad Paproc kneeled beside him to help. His armor is riddled with bulletcracks, too many of which have made their way through. Gaziel is on the vengeance, his tattered-filth cape fluttering in the winds now bending the trees. Vincent smiles at the Elementalist, rapidly fading. "Casszzz... gone... gonecool, cooldown. Duhn-" a hard swallow of bile and blood. "Donletme... shatter..."

Cassandra doesn't get in a word more, as the knight goes dark blue in sudden self-cryostasis, left on the edge of death until he can be administered to. She pounds the mossywet ground with a growl, teeth dribbling as she looks over her shoulder at the carnage. "KAIGEN! I HOPE YOU DIE!"

The meet with the swamp natives had gone well for all of one hour. The army had settled in while the four Wanderers went to confer with Momma Logon, the tremendous six-armed blind troll witch who had been equal parts welcoming and menacing. But then the ogres had shown up. They demanded to speak with the Emperor of Heaven, on Kaigen's orders. Turns out someone had tipped the ogres off; they were the ones who brought down the Sun. That may have been manageable, but then the Backup arrived, juiced to the gills and ready to make noise. The Hollywood Viper led them in an amphetamine fury, followed by a reluctant Bloodshop, the skulking Shark Water, and the tower-quiet Bayroom Triplets. Soon everyone was arguing, while Paproc hid in the doorway and gnawed on her fireleaf hair in wonder of the angry crowd.

That's when he showed up. Started firing. Escalated it. Sent out carnelian lances to shred the already-tearing social fabric. Sent everyone into that red intent. Vincent had ran to the defense of Jevica, casting ice to stop her rage before she started to lose control in the crowd. The Agent, seeing an opening after surviving a thunder tail-whip, stood up and unloaded his pistol. He had disappeared into the chaos afterwards.

The fire magi is ready to go nuclear. Maybe literally, as her anger begins to leak down into the places of her mind where the Thundering King had left secrets for her to approach when she wished. Would that be now? Standing, she guns her finger and breathes in deep, surveying the brawl to find him and find out what it takes to graduate from the art of combustion, to the art of dissolving a body's nuclear bonds.

But she stops, when she sees it again.

Standing there in the middle of it all, unmoving - a small black shape. It had an arm extended, and there, there under the Sun, the gleam of a gun. Held up and aimed out. Pointed, steadying, ready to...

Shoot!

SHOOT!

DO IT! KILL HIM! NOW!

(!Tyranny) 17(-5) - [2]+[6]+[6] = 14 - Failure!
[Aiming For The Head: -5 To-Hit]
[-1 Bullet]

The bullet goes stray, striking the water. poo poo! He's there. Right there! Half sunk and delirious from the thunderslap, climbing confused from the water, this is the only chance! Hit the head, one one one and he's dead, don't gently caress up don't gently caress up aim aim aim aim aim aim SHOOT!!

(!Tyranny) 17(-5) - [2]+[6]+[5] = 13 - Failure!
[Aiming For The Head: -5 To-Hit]
[-1 Bullet]

SSSHHHHHHIIIIIIIIT!!!!!! The second shot flies past, grazing his cheek, that close to the scythe he doesn't get to CHEAT! You march up to the edge and point down, ready to unload anywhere exposed, and there he is now looking up with those poo poo sickly eyes, that disgusting slack expression, this poo poo and MEAT that you're going to flay with your sword as soon as you-

(Jono - Interception) 17 - [1]+[5]+[5] = 11 - Success.

Your arm is twisted and you shout, the gun forced to aim up as foxwolf eyes peer too close into yours; Jono is smiling playful, speaking at last. "No pup. No no. More fun this way." You take a step and TWIST, murderous might unwilling to give up the fight.

(Your ST) 21 - [6]+[3]+[6] = 15 - Success by 6.
vs
(Jono's ST) 17 - [4]+[2]+[2] = 8 - Success by 9. Winner.

You're screaming now. Raging. But you're sloppy. Off foot. Diamond chips slicing into your muscles. Slowly, your arm is wrenched painfully down and away, though you keep the deathgrip on your gun. Jono keeps smiling sweetly, playfully, hair shaking wildly as he redirects you across the pavement. Deimos climbs from the water, shaking from shocked nerves, but not badly enough to stop the reflex of drawing his gun, ready to make YOU done.

"GGhooonnnnfucccccyouuuuuupp-"

(Karsudan - Interception) 12 - [4]+[3]+[1] = 8 - Success.

Tigergold arms move with just enough agility to mirror your defeat, wrenching Deimos' arm to the sky to keep his gun out of the line. The muscled mass pleads, "NOOO! IT HAS LEGEND! YOU CAN'T KILL IT, DEIMOS!" The Agent screams back in his face, spitting. "LEEEMMMMMEEGOOOO." But Karsudan is far stronger than the man, sending them into an uneasy dance that matches the ridiculousness of you and Jono. His hound bounds up to bark now that he's taking action, while Karsudan's two guards start to circle in the case Deimos turns against the Archpriest.

You're still wroth with that buried red intent, denied so many times before. You have to make sacrifice. So you pull as hard as you can, and you grip Jono's wrist with your Red Right Hand.

[-1 HP]
[-1 FP]

HP: [ 20 / 21 ]
FP: [ 9 / 15 ]

When you come at a King, you best not miss- so it's best if the King never sees it coming at all. The werewolf jerks and bellows, looking weirdly exhilarated as he lets go, licking his ichor-scorched arm. You twist and dash, charging so hard you crash into the sunken building's stone wall, gun flung to aim back out. But Karsudan is in the way! It's unfair! Why?! Your bullets missed, the Parade didn't tale, your mushrooms failed, the Silver Mind won't wake up, the Dark can't keep intent!

You grit your teeth and look to your ri

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PRESSURE: [ ♢ ][ ♢ ][ ♢ ][ ♢ ][ ♢ ][ ♢ ][ ♢ ][ ♢ ][ ♢ ][ ♢ ][110%] [CRITICAL PRESSURE]

(WL - KEEP IT TOGETHER!!) 19(-11) - [5]+[3]+[6] = 14 - Failure...

stumbling
back

gun deathgripped what is
that

wait wait in the doorframe, in the doorframe you stumbled back lean against the doorframe something there in the dark and the voice whispers gravelsweet

paproc says "Y̷O͠U͝R̸ TU҉R͡N ͝TO ̡SE̴E͝ ̶M̨O͏M̡M̷A LO̧G҉O̸N̢"

one hand two hand six hand more
climb clamber reach hammer through the darkened door
you're dragged unseen without a scream into the shadowed room
heart weeping blood seeping; the witch can smell your doom.

Black August fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Aug 21, 2021

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Sheet Update: 2 bullets left. 1 measure of corruption counted. The Ogre Army is now Neutral / Hostile. Deimos now Hates you. THE HOLLYWOOD VIPER is way too skunked on some Paradise best to even remember what just happened. Kobold (hi) is still Tolerant (hello) because customer is price and value.

STILL LOADING...

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Oh hi paproc

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

[Too close too close too close. Razor-close.]

[It was a mistake to let the kobold take lead to Momma Logon's. Because with kobolds, fortune and disaster always follow... and Momma Fireswamp's resolution has a lot to do with what happens at Momma Logon's. A glitched, mixed, unknown resolution means, well, this.]

[One each of the Werewolf and Ogre Kings wasn't great, but an inevitability the more places explored, especially with Pariah and Salted-Earth already met. But the other guests turned it into the disaster. Deimos was a bad bad spawn. He's rarely this far out, but the disaster at the Emain Ablach and Kaigen's bizarre behavior makes sense of it. Getting a Liaison spawn with him is even more of an improbability, and it had all barely worked out after a streak of rotten luck. Though 'work out' was still up in the air; with half the powers on cooldown and a near-empty gun, the only choice to escape the increasingly fatal situation was to retreat into Momma Logon's home.]

[A home that was clearly, as the next map slowly loads, trapped between two ideas of what it was supposed to be.]

OneWingedDevil
Aug 27, 2012
Does the werewolf have some advantage in ST checks? He tied us if we only look at the die.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

OneWingedDevil posted:

Does the werewolf have some advantage in ST checks? He tied us if we only look at the die.

Jono has a ST of 17, and rolled an 8, which means he has a 9 (17-8) for his Margin of Success. The character has a ST of 21, but rolled a 15, which is a 6 (21-15) for the Margin of Success. So even though Jono is weaker, he still managed to overpower them, which is flavored as him having better footing and the element of surprise, and the character's wrecked state of mind making them sloppy.

And even if Jono's ST was 1, and the character's 50, if he got a 3 he'd still succeed by some incredible improbability and circumstance! Margin of Success is what matters in Vs rolls.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Black August posted:

Jono has a ST of 17, and rolled an 8, which means he has a 9 (17-8) for his Margin of Success. The character has a ST of 21, but rolled a 15, which is a 6 (21-15) for the Margin of Success. So even though Jono is weaker, he still managed to overpower them, which is flavored as him having better footing and the element of surprise, and the character's wrecked state of mind making them sloppy.

And even if Jono's ST was 1, and the character's 50, if he got a 3 he'd still succeed by some incredible improbability and circumstance! Margin of Success is what matters in Vs rolls.

The actual result you posted gives Jono a final value of 11, not 9.

Edit: Actually, all of Jono's numbers are off on the final value. Are they all supposed to be 11s?

OneWingedDevil
Aug 27, 2012
I see the issue now. His summed roll is shown as 11, but the individual die add up to 8. I was looking at the 11, which would have given him the same 6 DoS that we got.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Oh. I derped. Sorry about that!

EDIT: Fixed.

Black August fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Aug 21, 2021