Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013

tuo posted:

Mine also came inside the bag

e: I have a secureclick, though

Thanks! So it's normal then.

Zisky posted:

Secureclick cartridges should be in a shrink-wrapped pack. 5/6/7000 series P100 filters are in a sealed bag.

Bag is sealed with no marking so I'm sure they're fine but the beaten up open box is sketching me so I'll just ask customer service.

Thank you all!

e. raccoon snipe

https://twitter.com/potpies/status/1156377107955703808?lang=en

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

No clue if these are legit, but this is how my Amazon order came. I figured they are being careful with the 3M stuff since the scrutiny and lawsuits now, but if not guess I'll die. :shrug:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

WTF BEES
Feb 26, 2004

I think I just hit a creature?
I posted a few scattered times in the last thread, and felt the need to report more findings.

I'm a retail manager of a rather big thrift store in a major city, and a big part of my job is keeping an eye on things in general, so I spend a lot of time on the sales floor (safely). Corporate gutted our power to enforce any kind of masking in our store a few months back, and at first the masking really plummeted. I would say maybe two out of every ten shoppers still masked up, and this is with a sales floor that usually has from 10 to 50 shoppers at a time.

In the last couple weeks however voluntary masking has spiked from 85 to maybe even 90%. The only people that come in unmasked anymore are almost exclusively white boomers and their ilk, and they look around like frightened cats the entire time before they leave.

So, at least here, and from my obviously tiny sample size, the general public seems to be catching on something is up. Obviously not enough to not pleasure shop for hours in a store full of unwashed, used goods surrounded by other people, but enough to at least put on a mask.

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

This thread has been talking a lot about child mortality due to COVID, understandably, but the risk of long-term impacts from a non-fatal infection is also significant. In fact people often dismiss concerns about COVID in children by pointing to the low mortality rate and ignoring the much higher rate of long-term disease. The estimated rates are all over the place but very roughly about 5% of children in the 2-11 year old range experience symptoms persisting out at least to ~3 months. The fall wave will likely have the large majority of children infected without any vaccine protection, and without hyperbole millions of children will likely contract these long-term symptoms.

Long-COVID is still not understood! Even in children it's often not just a months long cold and in some cases can be very significant, as the NY times article about pediatric long COVID linked from the thread spreadsheet describes well. It seems plausible that it could be due to some dysregulation of the immune system. If so, these effects could potentially be permanent or recurrent. No-one knows!

Here's a short Nature summary of the current understanding of pediatric long-COVID that I don't think is in the thread spreadsheet. Some ghoul in the D&D thread actually linked this in an attempt to downplay the significance and rate of pediatric long-COVID, and it was like did you even read the article?

Nature posted:

In May, Armann’s group reported in a preprint that it found no difference in rates of symptoms reported by the two groups3. “This was kind of striking,” says Armann, and suggests that long COVID in children is probably lower than some studies have indicated. That doesn’t mean that long COVID doesn’t exist in children, he says, but it does mean the number is probably below 10%, a level that would have been picked up in the study. The true figure is perhaps as low as 1%, he says.
It will also be important to determine how long the condition lasts in children, says Armann. Headaches or trouble sleeping for just 6 months is a vastly different problem from having these symptoms all their life, even if it only happens for 1%, he says.
Somewhere between only 1-10% of children, totally fine.

Nocturtle fucked around with this message at 12:44 on Aug 19, 2021

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

a_gelatinous_cube posted:

No clue if these are legit, but this is how my Amazon order came. I figured they are being careful with the 3M stuff since the scrutiny and lawsuits now, but if not guess I'll die. :shrug:

That doesn’t look inconsistent with legitimate product, but counterfeits have been seen in the wild.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

tbh these vaccines are crap

DarkEuphoria
Nov 7, 2012

euphronius posted:

tbh these vaccines are crap

User error

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

loving amateur poo poo. You call the vaxx a tool of satanic government control, but you still get the jab on the dl.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
2016:
TRUMP!
*click*

2021:
SecureClick

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004
I have a friend back in Hawaii who is currently refusing to get vaccinated. He lives with his grandmother and his dad. He is waiting for the novavax vaccine because that is the one that he wants to take. He's recently been telling me he is having panic attacks because his job might start mandating that he get vaccinated or tested weekly. I'm just venting, but this is a guy who watches prepper youtube and is supposedly ready for a "SHTF" situation and the idea of talking to someone about this is giving him panic attacks.

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Greg Legg posted:

I have a friend back in Hawaii who is currently refusing to get vaccinated. He lives with his grandmother and his dad. He is waiting for the novavax vaccine because that is the one that he wants to take. He's recently been telling me he is having panic attacks because his job might start mandating that he get vaccinated or tested weekly. I'm just venting, but this is a guy who watches prepper youtube and is supposedly ready for a "SHTF" situation and the idea of talking to someone about this is giving him panic attacks.

lol my job sent out a thing that ur gonna get put on unpaid administrative leave if you dont get it by the deadline or have a valid reason

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Greg Legg posted:

Typical prepper.

Can’t even assemble the IKEA vaccine, demands lepidopterans put the spike together for him.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Aug 19, 2021

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

gradenko_2000 posted:

2016:
TRUMP!
*click*

2021:
SecureClick

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004

fits my needs posted:

lol my job sent out a thing that ur gonna get put on unpaid administrative leave if you dont get it by the deadline or have a valid reason

I don't understand why he doesn't just lie. He works from home!

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Greg Legg posted:

I don't understand why he doesn't just lie. He works from home!

my job's asking for proof of vaccine card picture or access to your EMR for covid vaccine reasons

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

https://people.com/human-interest/texas-couple-who-declined-covid-vaccine-die-leaving-behind-four-children/

Although the article doesn’t say it, people on social media identified them as having been in the news previously. They’d already been infected by covid before and thought that they therefore didn’t need the vaccine

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Biggest take away for me is that if Abbot got his third dose 2 weeks ago or more and his titers theoretically shot to the moon….HE STILL GOT INFECTED

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004

fits my needs posted:

my job's asking for proof of vaccine card picture or access to your EMR for covid vaccine reasons

Oh drat. I'm not sure that's the case for him but it could be.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Steve Yun posted:

https://people.com/human-interest/texas-couple-who-declined-covid-vaccine-die-leaving-behind-four-children/

Although the article doesn’t say it, people on social media identified them as having been in the news previously. They’d already been infected by covid before and thought that they therefore didn’t need the vaccine

Lmao the perfect trifecta of America

Avoiding the vaccines since they believe all the Chud talking points and misinformation
Funeral funds being done on a GoFundMe after the two easily avoidable deaths

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Kate Larose sat slack-jawed on Monday night in Canaan as she watched her local school board deliberate its back-to-school pandemic policies.

Larose, whose 8-year-old son is immunocompromised, had requested Zoom access to the in-person meeting. But about 30 minutes in, people took over the virtual room, calling in to say the n-word on loop. A man eventually appeared on screen and began masturbating. Officials then shut off all access.

Karen Conroy, Canaan’s superintendent, wrote apologetically to Larose later that night to fill in the blanks. The board had voted 5-0 to reject Conroy’s recommendation that the district begin the school year masked.

https://vtdigger.org/2021/08/18/vermont-is-taking-a-local-control-approach-to-the-pandemic-in-schools-in-canaan-that-means-no-masks/

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
Questions:
Are there any home test kits worth having?
Are there any decent tests that don't require brain-probing?

Gathering some info before school starts.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Steve Yun posted:

imagine having any empathy for these people. she probably read stories like this, thought they were fake news crisis actors, and now she'll be a fake news crisis actor to someone else

i got invited to a small get-together, which i was really excited about going to, but i dropped out because i found out someone unvaccinated came up from florida. it's def a health issue (the organizer is saying they're going to ask the person to wear a mask and get tested...lmao), but i'm honestly more afraid of getting drunk and fighting them

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Excellent number

https://twitter.com/Leo_Puglisi6/status/1428300106562895886?s=19

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Joementum posted:

Kate Larose sat slack-jawed on Monday night in Canaan as she watched her local school board deliberate its back-to-school pandemic policies.

Larose, whose 8-year-old son is immunocompromised, had requested Zoom access to the in-person meeting. But about 30 minutes in, people took over the virtual room, calling in to say the n-word on loop. A man eventually appeared on screen and began masturbating. Officials then shut off all access.

Karen Conroy, Canaan’s superintendent, wrote apologetically to Larose later that night to fill in the blanks. The board had voted 5-0 to reject Conroy’s recommendation that the district begin the school year masked.

https://vtdigger.org/2021/08/18/vermont-is-taking-a-local-control-approach-to-the-pandemic-in-schools-in-canaan-that-means-no-masks/

“Freedom and Unity”

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

I testify that there is none worthy of worship except God and I testify that Muhammad is the Messenger of God

quote:

All students and staff should stay home if they:
• Show symptoms of COVID-19;
• Have a fever (temperature greater than 100.4°F); or

a) I bet 90% of people don't know what the current top 5 symptoms of covid are now

b) I like the implication that it was ok to come to school with a fever in the before times.

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

Joementum posted:

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Securedick

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Joementum posted:

But about 30 minutes in, people took over the virtual room, calling in to say the n-word on loop. A man eventually appeared on screen and began masturbating.

Bill Maher and Jeffrey Toobin both send their kids to the same school?

jinx_player
Aug 25, 2018

Tzen posted:

lmao you idiot we were never close

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/1428333424545255425?s=21

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Lazy fucks couldn't even be bothered to make the stupid tokenistic concessions that had already been agreed upon. From the previous thread:

Yeah the school district used those types of masks last year + only let one instrument group practice per session to space them out. Flute players had face shields too

All that's gone now

WTF BEES
Feb 26, 2004

I think I just hit a creature?
Aaaannnnd my boss just came into work, maskless, complaining of a fever and vomiting last night. She is unvaxxed.

Lol

Lmao

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

libs lust for unvaxxed death

Serf
May 5, 2011

my mom has a runny nose and headaches. she doesn't wear a mask but is vaxxed up. she's getting tested today

jinx_player
Aug 25, 2018

The Demilich posted:

IHME a while ago (before Delta) estimated the US was at 900k+ dead. I'd love another updated estimate like that this year.

So when we opened er up, I think we were around 600-650k officially dead.

When we consider the different parties interested in keeping these numbers low, there are many: the federal govt, the state govt, each state's medical leaders, the individual groups of state representatives, the owners and profiteers of the nursing homes, the jails and prison owners.

Pretending to not be a doomer for one second, I think we are FAR higher than just 1/3rd of the deaths being unreported...technically, we dont even know when the first COVID death was in America because there is a good chance it was spreading prior to March 2020.

I know there are charts that talk about deaths and how many are unexpected vs the trends we normally see with the other leading causes and I dont really know where to access nor, truthfully, interpret them. I am a laymen and I don't pretend to be an expert in anything really other than hedonism -- but I would bet my very last dollar that it is probably closer to 1.5m+ than it would be 900k...maybe my point doesn't really matter in the end though?

gently caress it man, what really does...

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

SpaceDrake posted:

alright, but. im sorry cspam, i have to realpost for a minute here

I'm actually super loving worried about the next 6-8 weeks. like. it is now virtually guaranteed that millions of children are going to be infected with covid-19 — probably north of 75% of the entire school-age population, especially the elementary demographic — and the sheer overload of the health system this will cause is going to kill tens of thousands of children in the space of a month or two. I am deadass actually expecting that we are going to be facing down a hundred thousand dead children by some point in October. and I have no loving idea what happens after that. what happens after the biggest child mortality crisis in this country in more than a century, and this one self-manufactured.

like, the leadership and certain parts of the bourgeoisie are going to try to not give a poo poo beyond platitudes, and at least at first I expect a Sandy Hook-esque shrug, but by the time the death wave really sets in, even at only like 50,000 dead that's going to be six digits worth of parents who are just. just totally and completely out of their minds with grief and rage. and power will try and do nothing, and. they're going to want to express their anger.

i'm not predicting ~~civil war~~ because i don't expect it to be a war; war implies some level of organization. i just keep imagining this white-hot ball of rage erupting all across the country, and. it'll just be people doing poo poo because gently caress it, our children are dead, our world has already ended, and so far nobody has given a gently caress. well we'll make you give a gently caress.

like. tell me the molochian virus furnace we're about to shovel 60 million children into isn't going to result in massive child death, cspam. tell me the next few months I see ahead of us is just me doom-braining. :smith:

Every parent I've talked to is far more worried about rolling quarantines and their job firing them because their kid is at home than they are about their kid getting sick

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Tzen posted:

surely they're referring to when j&j was available and instead people were waiting for pfizer/moderna instead right
RIGHT!?!?

The jerkin' & jackin' vaccine withdrawal while they investigated clotting rumors was the death of our vaccine push lol

Apr 7, 2003

mastershakeman posted:

Every parent I've talked to is far more worried about rolling quarantines and their job firing them because their kid is at home than they are about their kid getting sick

capitalism has perverted Americans into something completely unrecognizable to sensible human beings lmao

it owns so much

Apr 7, 2003

SpaceDrake posted:

alright, but. im sorry cspam, i have to realpost for a minute here

I'm actually super loving worried about the next 6-8 weeks. like. it is now virtually guaranteed that millions of children are going to be infected with covid-19 — probably north of 75% of the entire school-age population, especially the elementary demographic — and the sheer overload of the health system this will cause is going to kill tens of thousands of children in the space of a month or two. I am deadass actually expecting that we are going to be facing down a hundred thousand dead children by some point in October. and I have no loving idea what happens after that. what happens after the biggest child mortality crisis in this country in more than a century, and this one self-manufactured.

like, the leadership and certain parts of the bourgeoisie are going to try to not give a poo poo beyond platitudes, and at least at first I expect a Sandy Hook-esque shrug, but by the time the death wave really sets in, even at only like 50,000 dead that's going to be six digits worth of parents who are just. just totally and completely out of their minds with grief and rage. and power will try and do nothing, and. they're going to want to express their anger.

i'm not predicting ~~civil war~~ because i don't expect it to be a war; war implies some level of organization. i just keep imagining this white-hot ball of rage erupting all across the country, and. it'll just be people doing poo poo because gently caress it, our children are dead, our world has already ended, and so far nobody has given a gently caress. well we'll make you give a gently caress.

like. tell me the molochian virus furnace we're about to shovel 60 million children into isn't going to result in massive child death, cspam. tell me the next few months I see ahead of us is just me doom-braining. :smith:

This is a repeat of last fall/winter but with the volume turned up.

that's all.

we already did it, 250k-300k or more people died, and we decided that was cool and good and we're about to do it again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

WTF BEES posted:

Aaaannnnd my boss just came into work, maskless, complaining of a fever and vomiting last night. She is unvaxxed.

Lol

Lmao

How's your respirator's seal?