Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Oxyclean posted:

How is Hexen 2? It's one I've kinda always given a pass on out of just never hearing much of about it / having the impression it wasn't great.... but I feel like I've gotten some impression lately that it's..not bad? It's on a deep discount on steam right now so I'm wondering if I should grab it, and if there's anything I should know going in if I do.

e: Quakecon sale and Quake 1 isn't on sale???

Hexen 2 is good and enormously better than the prequel. It doesn't rely on just meaningless switch hunts; there's still a lot of find item to solve puzzle over here, but they're a lot more intuitive than poo poo like seven portals. Classes are still limited to four weapons, but having the tome of power helps stave off the sameyness quite a lot.

it's well worth the $1.49 steam is currently charging for it, but you should get http://uhexen2.sourceforge.net to actually run it. More people should play hexen 2, it's a good game!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
We getting Quake on Switch tomorrow or what

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

TheScott2K posted:

I really hope so.

Squeezy Farm
Jun 16, 2009
I really can't imagine the movement and speed of Quake working well on a controller. I guess people played it kb only though.....

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I'll repeat my usual Blood protip: Ducking actually matters against hitscanners.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Squeezy Farm posted:

I really can't imagine the movement and speed of Quake working well on a controller. I guess people played it kb only though.....

It’s fine enough on a controller. It did come out on N64 and PlayStation.

I think it would benefit a lot from gyro aiming. I played a good amount of Quake Champions with my Switch Pro controller with that and I did decently well.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

SeANMcBAY posted:

I think it would benefit a lot from gyro aiming. I played a good amount of Quake Champions with my Switch Pro controller with that and I did decently well.

*yelling from the back*

AND THE SEGA SATURN

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Foul Fowl posted:

yeah fresh supply seems to be good but it's really fuckin hard. i tried it on well done, got owned massively. got through the first few levels on lightly broiled, still getting owned a lot.

Yeah, Blood's a hard game. It's one of my favourites, but I do actually play on Pink on the Inside (mostly because I don't like every cultist having dynamite). I haven't tried it, I guess I'm a little bit of a purist and also I mostly play on Raze, but people here recommend Made to Order mode and turning up enemy count and turning down enemy accuracy, because cultists can be pinpoint, goddamn.

Tippis posted:

“We saw some weird entries that we've never seen before in our hat-store sales lists, so we thought it was a clerical error and had them pruned. Only later did we realise that these are something called ‘classic games’ that people apparently buy from us for some reason. It came as a bit of surprise since we had never really looked at it from that angle, but we like when people buy from us, so we reinstated their ability to do so.”

Honestly, if they'd just came out and said that I'd have gone, "oh, ok, EA's big and kinda poo poo so I'm not surprised." But baffling, meaningless corporate babble to try and cover their rear end that just makes it sound like they're trying to avoid outright saying something like that but accidentally saying exactly that?

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

Wamdoodle posted:

*yelling from the back*

AND THE SEGA SATURN

That was a weird port. If I remember right it was effectively reimplemented on Lobotomy Software’s SlaveDriver engine, and has unusual quirks and some different levels. They apparently ported it to the original PlayStation too, but couldn’t find a publisher even though it was by al accounts a nicer experience than it was on the Saturn.

I am also hoping for some kind of Quake re-release that spurs renewed interest in the franchise. But I’ve gotten pretty cozy with the idea of keeping OG Quake alive with community mods… it’s been 25 years. I’m not sure they’d even get a sequel right now.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Wamdoodle posted:

*yelling from the back*

AND THE SEGA SATURN

The what now?

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

Tippis posted:

The what now?

A weird, godforsaken console from the mid-90s that used a tacked-on Nvidia NV1 GPU when Sega realized that pushing shitloads of sprites wasn’t actually going to be the most in-demand task for the next generation. It had some neat bits - dual RISC CPUs, decent audio, and unambiguously better than the Tower of Hackery a 32x+Genesis+Sega CD amounted to, but Sega’s split focus and the relative difficulty of development versus the PS1 means it lost comprehensively. But it fared better than the Atari Jaguar!

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Tippis posted:

The what now?

A cd player with a really neat visualizer of a spaceship flying around

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Hasturtium posted:

A weird, godforsaken console from the mid-90s that used a tacked-on Nvidia NV1 GPU when Sega realized that pushing shitloads of sprites wasn’t actually going to be the most in-demand task for the next generation. It had some neat bits - dual RISC CPUs, decent audio, and unambiguously better than the Tower of Hackery a 32x+Genesis+Sega CD amounted to, but Sega’s split focus and the relative difficulty of development versus the PS1 means it lost comprehensively. But it fared better than the Atari Jaguar!

Accchhhtually, the Saturn used two custom video display processors. They rendered 3D using quadrilaterals instead of triangles, and that's where the similarities to the NV1 end.

:goonsay:

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

The Saturn looks like it kicked rear end and I’m sad it’s the only Sega console I’ve never owned.

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

azurite posted:

Accchhhtually, the Saturn used two custom video display processors. They rendered 3D using quadrilaterals instead of triangles, and that's where the similarities to the NV1 end.

:goonsay:

Aw, really? drat. I’ve been wrong for years. Thanks, goon!

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

catlord posted:

Honestly, if they'd just came out and said that I'd have gone, "oh, ok, EA's big and kinda poo poo so I'm not surprised." But baffling, meaningless corporate babble to try and cover their rear end that just makes it sound like they're trying to avoid outright saying something like that but accidentally saying exactly that?

It seems like they're trying to turn around the whole "most hated company on Earth 6 years running" thing by getting dystopian as hell. Per the comments on this RPS article about the statement it looks like they've started sending PR interns to the slaughter in comment sections, presumably to do some half-assed public interfacing damage control or maybe just to absorb the brunt of gamer rage for fun? Who knows, it seems like a misguided attempt to humanize a heartless profit threshing machine through punching bag proxies, but whatever they're trying to do I hope it backfires gloriously.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The important thing about the Sega Saturn is it finally did what Sega wanted, sell really well in Japan. It did this at the expense of every other market worldwide and financially damaged them further but by god it did what they wanted

KajiTheMelonMan
Sep 2, 2004

I killed a Tuskarr
I never understood why people use WASD, instead of something like YGHJ - you've got so many available keys on your ring+pinkie, and WASD just denies this

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

KajiTheMelonMan posted:

I never understood why people use WASD, instead of something like YGHJ - you've got so many available keys on your ring+pinkie, and WASD just denies this

I use werd for this reason, a lot of my friends use esdf

I blame whatever jerk put WASD in a Quake config file for two+ decades of a crappy key config

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

KajiTheMelonMan posted:

I could see YGHJ making sense for lefties, but right-handed it seems downright awkward in the face of how you normally use/position a keyboard. You pretty much lose all "landmarks" and modifier keys.

WASD being positioned right near 1->5 is also handy for shooters. Going for the number keys on YGHJ just feels awkward.

You also just didn't need that many keys when WASD got started.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

KajiTheMelonMan posted:

ESDF is fine

KajiTheMelonMan
Sep 2, 2004

I killed a Tuskarr

Oxyclean posted:

I could see YGHJ making sense for lefties, but right-handed it seems downright awkward in the face of how you normally use/position a keyboard. You pretty much lose all "landmarks" and modifier keys.

WASD being positioned right near 1->5 is also handy for shooters. Going for the number keys on YGHJ just feels awkward.

You also just didn't need that many keys when WASD got started.

It's true, you'll need to remap 1-4 to something else, but you'll gain 5-9.

And you'll get J as your landmark key, with the resting _ on it!

Ah, the olden days, where ~ wasn't even a thing for console

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

KajiTheMelonMan posted:

It's true, you'll need to remap 1-4 to something else, but you'll gain 5-9.

And you'll get J as your landmark key, with the resting _ on it!

Ah, the olden days, where ~ wasn't even a thing for console

I more mean it's easier to remember/associate the keys with their functions, if that makes sense. But maybe that's just habit.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 26 hours!

John Murdoch posted:

I'll repeat my usual Blood protip: Ducking actually matters against hitscanners.

I have seen this said a billion times but in my experience this has never helped. I checked a guy who did an open source build engine port (he showed demo compatibility with regular blood and it matched 100%) and while im not a coder by any means i couldnt find anythinf in the ai that checked for crouching or any such player state. Can someone please prove it definitively? Cause it drove me mad when i first played blood and heard that hint

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 26 hours!

Wamdoodle posted:

*yelling from the back*

AND THE SEGA SATURN

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I can’t prove it but I definitely noticed a difference playing lightly broiled via Fresh Supply.

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Anything can be sent, as long as it's less than 1200 bytes

ArfJason posted:

I have seen this said a billion times but in my experience this has never helped. I checked a guy who did an open source build engine port (he showed demo compatibility with regular blood and it matched 100%) and while im not a coder by any means i couldnt find anythinf in the ai that checked for crouching or any such player state. Can someone please prove it definitively? Cause it drove me mad when i first played blood and heard that hint

Even in the converted Angel Script (which is all in plaintext that you can just read in Fresh Supply), the AI doesn't check for crouching. It's tricky to say if it's a placebo effect, but what seems to be the case is that it makes your hitbox smaller, which makes any attacks have a larger margin of error.

Rocket Pan fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Aug 19, 2021

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

It seems it's going to be a new version of the existing Quake, not a new edition: https://www.reddit.com/r/GamingLeaksAndRumours/comments/p76fjm/quake_1_steam_beta_branch_updated/

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Pff. The only version of Quake you ever need is qtest. :colbert:

Barudak
May 7, 2007

First Person Dungeon Crawler RPG Quake, finally

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
just use hjkl

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg

TheScott2K posted:

Maybe not tomorrow but soon
https://twitter.com/Nibellion/status/1428310585276604423

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

gently caress I hope so :ohdear:

I would LOVE to play Quake against a bunch of you, portably.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Well, then the Microsoft/Bethesda thing is not going to cut ports of Quake and maybe Quake 2 for PS4/5.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Guillermus posted:

Well, then the Microsoft/Bethesda thing is not going to cut ports of Quake and maybe Quake 2 for PS4/5.

Wouldn't be surprised if "legacy" (Doom 3 and earlier) id games were seen as not being particularly important to their GamePass strategy. $5 and $10 ports for all!

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Its also possible already in development and they're letting them finish a la psychonauts.

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

I feel like it's worth pointing out that that ESRB description mentions scorpions, meaning that this release also includes the mission packs.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Peewi posted:

I feel like it's worth pointing out that that ESRB description mentions scorpions, meaning that this release also includes the mission packs.

:yeshaha:

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I would like all of these retro FPS games to come out now to tide me over until Elden Ring thank you.

https://twitter.com/TreyPowell1964/status/1428355833553842192?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

SeANMcBAY posted:

N64, yes, but PlayStation? No it didn't. Very peculiar oversight, too. I recall Nightdive shopped their Quake port around to various publishers and literally nobody wanted it. Couldn't tell you why; even when Quake 2 was already out, the first was still a solid time.