Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lordshmee
Nov 23, 2007

I hate you, Milkman Dan
Am I the only one who is loving DONE watching videos about Skywind and Skyblivion? Year after year, no game. Little videos about “progress.” It’s like listening to somebody talk about their kid’s gymnastics classes. Yeah, I’m sure it’ll be perfect, ready for release in 2035. gently caress’s sake…

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?

StrixNebulosa posted:

Just went through the most intense dungeon in Daggerfall yet: in this save I did all the questions and rolled an archer, so I've been trying to focus on archery and axes as my backup weapon. I made it out of the starting dungeon, went to town, found the mage's guild, and accepted a quest to get a scroll for a mage...

...and it sent me to a castle infested with giants. Who could basically kill me in one shot. Also orcs and orc sergeants, who can also kill me in 2-3 shots, unless I get really lucky with my swings.

I, an idiot, decided "gently caress it" and began to map the place, running past enemies, running AWAY from enemies, trying to get them to meet each other (orcs vs giants, giants win), and in general LOTS of saving and reloading as I went through one hell of an intense race for my life. I could almost never rest (not that it did anything as I'd still die easily), no corner was safe, and I leveled up my running/stealth/axe/medical skills a lot as I frantically did it.

And I did it. I actually found the drat scroll and then had to swan dive into the pit with the one elevator that would take me back to the exit, dodging giants until it carried me out of there, and then I had to recklessly return as the mage only gave me nine days to do it - AND I DID IT. HE THANKED ME.

He didn't give me any other reward except for a mage reputation boost so gently caress him, but AHAHA I DID IT. I would like to go back to playing level-appropriate dungeons if at all, and I'd love to find a store where I can BUY arrows as I have none, but that was an experience I really, really enjoyed.
I swear low level df is the most fun part of df. Congrats on your fungeon! Here's hoping you catch lycanthropy!

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

Never played Morrowind but I'll probably play Skywind whenever it comes out.

Goddamn modding these games is tiresome. Who wants to spend a whole day loving around with this poo poo? Why doesn't someone just make an all in one downloader with a preset list of mods?

I've got good news:
https://www.wabbajack.org/

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

I played all of my hundreds of hours of Morrowind on the OG Xbox. That's what I'm about, boys.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I'm trying to finally get all the masks in Skyrim and am down to just the last one, from the main questline. Worst one so far by a long way was the one requiring you to finish the mages collage. While their questline overall isn't as bad and dumb as the thieves guild it is more painful to slog through. At least the thieves kept all the horrible Nocturnal and nightingales garbage for the end but here you're constantly dealing with the pretentious order monks and their "cryptic" babbling and gushing over how awesome you are. The whole mess would've been a lot better if they had left them out of it, they don't add anything at all.

At least I got a legendary super powerful staff from one of the mightiest mages who ever lived, which I can dump in a chest or sell for less than a regular weapon drop I got in the same dungeon because it's not actually very good.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

C-Euro posted:

That bird ain't wrong.

And neither is this goon. The main reason I haven't gone back to Morrowind is that I just don't have the energy to do a "proper" install. Even my current Oblivion install is from 2016 when I first got this computer and was all excited to do some serious gaming.

The only proper install you need is vanilla

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Every skyrim quest: actually you're the chosen one!

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Wow the dungeon design in Daggerfall! As I escape the spider caves to get back into a room with an altar over a pit full of water, I figure that's the only way down and jump and.... I'm carrying too much to swim AND it's full of killer fish and I die. :allears:

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Thanks! I'll give this a shot.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

GorfZaplen posted:

The only proper install you need is vanilla

Yeah. I have a minimal vanilla-style list of mods that I'll recommend, but if your attitude is straight-up "Look, I'm fine playing it like it was 2003" then hell, just hit the Install button on Steam/GoG and go.

(The list: Morrowind Code Patch, MGE-XE, the Patch for Purists, Morrowind Enhanced Textures, and ... Better Dialogue Font? Probably toss in the Morrowind Optimization Patch as well.

What these do, for those unfamiliar with Morrowind or its current modding scene:
Morrowind Code Patch fixes bugs that can't be fixed any other way, by actually editing the .exe file. Optionally includes a lot of non-bugfix changes, if want them, but those all default to off.
MGE-XE: I think the name is actually Morrowind Graphics Extender - eXtended Edition? Adds support for modern resolutions, adds support for more advanced lighting effects, allows you to generate distant land so you can see far off places the way you can in Oblivion/Skyrim.
Patch for Purists: a large number of small fixes that takes a very restrained attitude towards what needs to be 'fixed'; started as a reaction to a different community patch that had begun edging into "hmm, I can do this better", like was being talked about up-thread.
Morrowind Enhanced Textures: Take Morrowind textures, run them through an AI upscaler, and 4k textures pop out! Looks better than any other texture replacer because every texture looks exactly like regular Morrowind.
Better Dialogue Font: It very subtly but distinctly makes stuff easier to read in menus and your journal, which is nice for a reading-heavy playthrough.
Morrowind Optimization Patch: Goes through the game touching up meshes in such a way that they still look the same, but the game runs much more smoothly and easily, which you'd think wouldn't be a problem for a 19 year old game.

And that's ... it? Add in Expansion Delay if you don't want the 2002-experience of having assassins come after you the moment you first take a nap in your new home.)

Wellwinds
Mar 20, 2010

Poil posted:

I'm trying to finally get all the masks in Skyrim and am down to just the last one, from the main questline. Worst one so far by a long way was the one requiring you to finish the mages collage. While their questline overall isn't as bad and dumb as the thieves guild it is more painful to slog through. At least the thieves kept all the horrible Nocturnal and nightingales garbage for the end but here you're constantly dealing with the pretentious order monks and their "cryptic" babbling and gushing over how awesome you are. The whole mess would've been a lot better if they had left them out of it, they don't add anything at all.

At least I got a legendary super powerful staff from one of the mightiest mages who ever lived, which I can dump in a chest or sell for less than a regular weapon drop I got in the same dungeon because it's not actually very good.

You didn't just whirlwind sprint through the back door and kill the boss without aggro???

(iirc that'll permanently gently caress the college questline but... college questline)

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I really like morrowind comes alive without the bandits and stuff turned on. Just adds generic NPCs to cities to practice speechcraft / pickpocket / etc on. Setting the bandit groups really small isn't so bad, though.

yegods
Apr 6, 2007

Cerebus can destroy ANYTHING. Cerebus is the POPE.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

Never played Morrowind but I'll probably play Skywind whenever it comes out.

Goddamn modding these games is tiresome. Who wants to spend a whole day loving around with this poo poo? Why doesn't someone just make an all in one downloader with a preset list of mods?

Hint: look into Wabbajack... it does just what you ask. There is no lists for Daggerfall, but there are some for Morrowind, Oblivion, and tons for Skyrim.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I got the 9th and ultimate skyrim dragon priest mask! LOL what a piece of worthless vendor trash.

Wellwinds posted:

You didn't just whirlwind sprint through the back door and kill the boss without aggro???

(iirc that'll permanently gently caress the college questline but... college questline)
But the backdoor is locked by two barred doors?

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?

StrixNebulosa posted:

Wow the dungeon design in Daggerfall! As I escape the spider caves to get back into a room with an altar over a pit full of water, I figure that's the only way down and jump and.... I'm carrying too much to swim AND it's full of killer fish and I die. :allears:

Yeah I pretty much stay out of water until I've explored every other possible place and even then it involves a lot of quick saving. At least you can climb back out regardless of weight. Other option is to grind out a few ranks in a temple so you can buy/make potions. Arkay is the fastest I think.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Poil posted:

I got the 9th and ultimate skyrim dragon priest mask! LOL what a piece of worthless vendor trash.

Artifacts were really ruined by the time of Skyrim. Doing the Imperial Cult in Morrowind I got tasked with recovering artifacts and thought to myself "oh, it's going to be a steel something or other with a really garbage buff, like in Skyrim" then they end up being supremely powerful items. The light boots have a shitload of defense and the hammer hits harder than daedra and weighs nothing (when equipped).

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Vavrek posted:

Yeah. I have a minimal vanilla-style list of mods that I'll recommend, but if your attitude is straight-up "Look, I'm fine playing it like it was 2003" then hell, just hit the Install button on Steam/GoG and go.

(The list: Morrowind Code Patch, MGE-XE, the Patch for Purists, Morrowind Enhanced Textures, and ... Better Dialogue Font? Probably toss in the Morrowind Optimization Patch as well.

What these do, for those unfamiliar with Morrowind or its current modding scene:
Morrowind Code Patch fixes bugs that can't be fixed any other way, by actually editing the .exe file. Optionally includes a lot of non-bugfix changes, if want them, but those all default to off.
MGE-XE: I think the name is actually Morrowind Graphics Extender - eXtended Edition? Adds support for modern resolutions, adds support for more advanced lighting effects, allows you to generate distant land so you can see far off places the way you can in Oblivion/Skyrim.
Patch for Purists: a large number of small fixes that takes a very restrained attitude towards what needs to be 'fixed'; started as a reaction to a different community patch that had begun edging into "hmm, I can do this better", like was being talked about up-thread.
Morrowind Enhanced Textures: Take Morrowind textures, run them through an AI upscaler, and 4k textures pop out! Looks better than any other texture replacer because every texture looks exactly like regular Morrowind.
Better Dialogue Font: It very subtly but distinctly makes stuff easier to read in menus and your journal, which is nice for a reading-heavy playthrough.
Morrowind Optimization Patch: Goes through the game touching up meshes in such a way that they still look the same, but the game runs much more smoothly and easily, which you'd think wouldn't be a problem for a 19 year old game.

And that's ... it? Add in Expansion Delay if you don't want the 2002-experience of having assassins come after you the moment you first take a nap in your new home.)

For all the complaining I just did about not wanting to reinstall Morrowind, this is probably close to what I'd do tbh. Just make it prettier and better-running/less buggy, it's been long enough since I've played it that the base game + expansions would almost certainly feel new enough for me. MGEXE in particular is something I dreamed about running when I was playing the game non-stop in 2006, but I never had a PC that could really take advantage of it until a few years ago.

Jimbot posted:

Artifacts were really ruined by the time of Skyrim. Doing the Imperial Cult in Morrowind I got tasked with recovering artifacts and thought to myself "oh, it's going to be a steel something or other with a really garbage buff, like in Skyrim" then they end up being supremely powerful items. The light boots have a shitload of defense and the hammer hits harder than daedra and weighs nothing (when equipped).

Morrowind does have some sweet artifacts, made even sweeter by the fact that you can stumble across them early and just take them without any level restrictions. That being said one of the later Tribunal Temple quests sends you to retrieve a staff from the final dungeon that actively harms you if you try attacking with it :laugh:

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)

C-Euro posted:

Morrowind does have some sweet artifacts, made even sweeter by the fact that you can stumble across them early and just take them without any level restrictions. That being said one of the later Tribunal Temple quests sends you to retrieve a staff from the final dungeon that actively harms you if you try attacking with it :laugh:

One of my fondest memories I have is, the King's Oath claymore you get from Helseth at the end of his first questline in Tribunal, whenever I was using it, I would just mysteriously drop dead.

I realized later that it has a fire damage effect.... on you. It may be a bug... but I prefer to think it's not (the paltry amount of fire damage was not to account for me just dropping dead). Because you're using a weapon gifted to you by someone who was, and still is, actively trying to kill you.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Jimbot posted:

Sounds much better than waiting until I can easily make my own much stronger items, without exploiting or abusing game mechanics like enchanting+alchemy loops. I really should do a serious attempt at Morrowind at some point. SCREEE

Best artifact I've seen in Skyrim is probably Ysgramor's Shield (+20 health and +20% magic resistance) but I hardly ever play with a one handed weapon and shield so it doesn't matter. Besides it's kinda ugly to be honest, but not as horrendous as Ysgramor's axe Wuuthengradsomething (which is two handed so I wonder how he used his shield).
So much of the equipment is pretty ugly like for example ancient nord swords paddles (a lot of the swords are way too thicc), women vampire armor, or anything dwarven. I do like the small pouches and details they put on the lower tier armors so I usually stick with those instead.

Poil fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Aug 17, 2021

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

The biggest problems with items in Skyrim:
1) Everything good is ugly
2) You only see daedric for 90% of the game
3) all the unique stuff is lamer than what you can make yourself

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Sky Shadowing posted:

One of my fondest memories I have is, the King's Oath claymore you get from Helseth at the end of his first questline in Tribunal, whenever I was using it, I would just mysteriously drop dead.

I realized later that it has a fire damage effect.... on you. It may be a bug... but I prefer to think it's not (the paltry amount of fire damage was not to account for me just dropping dead). Because you're using a weapon gifted to you by someone who was, and still is, actively trying to kill you.

If you had rolled a Dark Elf, that fire damage wouldn't be so bad :eng101: No one to blame but yourself!

Wellwinds
Mar 20, 2010

Poil posted:

But the backdoor is locked by two barred doors?

Find a plate, hold the plate up to door, whirlwind sprint through the door (or the wall next to it sometimes), you can now take the back exit into almost every dungeon

Also thinking about it it may be possible to finish the questline via bucket flight but the storm surrounding the college is permanent

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Wellwinds posted:

Find a plate, hold the plate up to door, whirlwind sprint through the door (or the wall next to it sometimes), you can now take the back exit into almost every dungeon

Also thinking about it it may be possible to finish the questline via bucket flight but the storm surrounding the college is permanent
Oh. I was hoping it wasn't that. Thanks anyway. :)

Eh, there is no benefit to finishing the collage instead of just ignoring it directly after joining or Saarthal if you want the shout or amulet. Training, spells and a good place to buy soulgems. Like how the best benefit to joining the thieves guild is access to a fence, which you get rid away so no need to ever go to Goldenglow. I'm sure it's not important.

An amusing thing about the thieves is that you can mess up the ring in the marketplace by just wandering off but you still get pointed towards the sewers. You can mess up the protection racket by killing but you still get to join. You can mess up Goldenglow by burning all the beehives but you're for some reason not dismissed as a colossal fuckup but rather you are the still somehow the most competent thief in the guild so they keep sending you on the most important tasks.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

poisonpill posted:

2) You only see daedric for 90% of the game

Isn't this more of an Oblivion problem? I've put hundreds of hours in Skyrim and only very rarely found daedric equipment. Meanwhile in Oblivion once you hit the mid-levels the bandits are all wearing the highest-tier glass/daedric armour and you can even get scaled-down daedric stuff from Oblivion gates before that point.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Tenebrais posted:

Isn't this more of an Oblivion problem? I've put hundreds of hours in Skyrim and only very rarely found daedric equipment. Meanwhile in Oblivion once you hit the mid-levels the bandits are all wearing the highest-tier glass/daedric armour and you can even get scaled-down daedric stuff from Oblivion gates before that point.

Yeah probably but those two blur together on me

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Skyrim's Treasure Fox myth has been solved:

https://twitter.com/JoelBurgess/status/1428008043556622336

https://twitter.com/JoelBurgess/status/1428008060946194433

https://twitter.com/JoelBurgess/status/1428008064737742856

https://twitter.com/JoelBurgess/status/1428008074233753603

https://twitter.com/JoelBurgess/status/1428008092218925059

https://twitter.com/JoelBurgess/status/1428008102457139206

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
That's cool! That's kind of what I'd thought was happening, but I thought they were just running to "a place", and places in Skyrim are filled with loot.

Edit: Like if you think of the Khajit camp outside white run, there's a stream with some mudcrabs, then across the road there's a kind of depression where a random monster or encounter spawns, and then the ruined tower, then the burned house, then the bandit fort. I'd thought the foxes were just going from place to place because it was the places that define the world, but there's actually this mesh that just happens to be denser at places of interest. That's neat.

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Aug 19, 2021

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Skyrimchat. Does anyone have a fun recommendation for standing stone bonus? I usually go with the lord stone because the magic resistance is so good and while I sometimes pick the atronach instead it's so strong it feels like cheating. The faster skill learning are really boring and I always forget about the once a day stuff. That doesn't really leave much. Maybe the serpent stone if I could remember to use it since it's not often you fight more than one bandit chief a day.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

I always used the Lady stone most of the time (health/stamina regen) because I wanted as much bow slowtime as possible. Sometimes I'd use the Steed stone if I was more in exploration/collection mode because I am a packrat and hated going back to sell off.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I had forgotten about the extra carry limit from the steed stone, that's very tempting thanks. Gotta loot everything including the nails.

Speaking of that, I just discovered that if you're quick you can steal ALL of the silverware in the main hall at Volkihar when you bring Serana there. :v:

Wellwinds
Mar 20, 2010
I don't think the stones offer much unless you're going for specific builds like earlygame heavy armor with steed, or vampire with lady/shadow, or magehunter with the restoration glitch on atronach

otherwise lord is just too convenient 99% of the time

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I can't remember anything that isn't based off the requiem mod, but in that It's always veeerrry hard for me not to choose Mage because it gives +100 Mana and can be the difference between some races being able to cast certain taxing spells at all.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Jack B Nimble posted:

I can't remember anything that isn't based off the requiem mod, but in that It's always veeerrry hard for me not to choose Mage because it gives +100 Mana and can be the difference between some races being able to cast certain taxing spells at all.

How's the requiem mod these days? last I played it it was near the release of skyrim awhile ago.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
My most recent install was whatever was current about a year ago. It's great, I love it, it makes Skyrim one of my favorite games of all time and I can only distantly recall what the vanilla game is like.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
This made me curious if there were mods for standing stones in skyrim and of course there are.

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/89219

I've not tried this one out or anything but if the vanilla standing stones aren't doing it for you, the list here does seem like you could have some fun messing around with the gimmicks. Some seem a bit overpowered but what the heck, it's skyrim mods of course they are.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

https://twitter.com/Nibellion/status/1428456888354709511?s=19

Am I reading this right, is all of the Creation Club stuff natively implemented?

Is... that a good thing? CC is a pretty mixed bag from what I recall.

ThaumPenguin fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Aug 19, 2021

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

:psyduck:

I've never seen a game milked so hard before

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

ThaumPenguin posted:

Am I reading this right, is all of the Creation Club stuff natively implemented?

I’m gonna assume it’s just free with the the re-re-release. The alternative would be pretty funny though. Mandatory survival mode and the world filled with random overpowered magic items and companions and pets and poo poo.

Disclaimer: I haven’t played Skyrim in years and don’t really know what happened on the Skyrim mod scene in the meantime.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

ThaumPenguin posted:

You must be able to turn off stuff, surely. The main problem with this would be the zombie uprising mod, if that happens game-world-wide. I never got that one because people said there weren't a lot of groaning voice-line variety for the zombies.
The other stuff is largely unintrusive, except for a bunch of quests popping up in your quest-list when you start the game. The survival mod is bare-basics and kind of terrible.

I wonder if Bethesda will fund another bunch of modders to make stuff for them to add to the CC catalogue after this, or if this "get the creation club stuff, no TAKE IT" is the death knell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

reignofevil posted:

This made me curious if there were mods for standing stones in skyrim and of course there are.

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/89219

I've not tried this one out or anything but if the vanilla standing stones aren't doing it for you, the list here does seem like you could have some fun messing around with the gimmicks. Some seem a bit overpowered but what the heck, it's skyrim mods of course they are.
Neat. I wonder what kind of good bonuses they came up wi-

quote:

The Lord Stone

Crown of Autumn: Stamina does not regenerate in combat, but power attacks deal 20% more damage and stagger.

quote:

The Serpent Stone

Slither: Sneaking now costs 10 Magicka per second but you move 25% faster while sneaking.
:roflolmao:

Is there a worse dungeon than Treva's Watch?
-You enter into a small chamber with 4 bandits, two of which always seem to be the highest type you can run into.
-When you enter the main dungeon zone there is a chance the two bandits will aggro the small bedroom after and the bandit chief after that and the dining hall after that. The bedroom is practically guaranteed to aggro the chief and the dining hall. The dining hall will always aggro the kitchen if you haven't already.
-There is a second bandit chief.
-After all that there is still a prison room with several bandits and the usual mess outside. Always a highest level bandit at the prison.
-All the traps are facing the rear entrance which is fine when you are near it but not so much when you are closer to the main entrance.
-Aela loves sending you there for the compainion questline so the entire place is full of Silver Hand bandits instead, which are just regular bandits except with silver weapons and a chance for cure disease potions and ingredients BUT now all the bandit type names are replaced with Silver Hand so you have literarily no way to know if the guy running towards you swinging a warhammer is a bandit outlaw barely hurting or a bandit marauder who will one shot you.