Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
David Culley hasn't done anything objectionable I know of yet, let's not go giving Easterby any credit for anything

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

The NFL is going to do everything they can to avoid taking any action until criminal charges have been filed.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

No Butt Stuff posted:

That seems easily abused.

It is and has been. The exempt list is a pure PR exercise. It’s a “quit making us look bad” list.

My complaint is if Goodell has used it without hesitation in the past, what the gently caress is he waiting for? The Texans aren’t going to blink

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
I really do think it's the Texans asking Goodell to not put Watson on the exempt list, so that they can showcase him at practices to other teams in hopes of a trade.

If Watson's on the exempt list his trade value is shot (even more so).

Goes to show the exempt list is useless as here's is a prime example of when it would be utilized but isn't because it hurts a team in a non-PR way.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Android Apocalypse posted:

I really do think it's the Texans asking Goodell to not put Watson on the exempt list, so that they can showcase him at practices to other teams in hopes of a trade.

I admittedly haven't been following the Texans camp at all but I do remember that report about him playing safety on the scout team.

My impression was they were just embarrassing him in order to embarrass him mostly, but maybe not.

I'm sure they don't want him on the exempt list or they'd just suspend him on their own, but I'm also not sure they're really doing their best to up his trade value if that makes sense.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

the real answer is no one in the texans organization or the top of the nfl has the skill or willpower to actually do anything about this situation

they're all just failsons who coasted into their positions in life on the backs of their parents' accomplishments

instead of making any move that could prove risky they're just sitting on their hands and waiting for SOMEONE to do something

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
I have occasionally wondered if the training camp nonsense was an effort to get him to quit and/or invoke some clause in his contract if he went "lol gently caress you I'm not lining up at safety" because I just can't make any goddamn sense of it any other way

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

FizFashizzle posted:

the real answer is no one in the texans organization or the top of the nfl has the skill or willpower to actually do anything about this situation

they're all just failsons who coasted into their positions in life on the backs of their parents' accomplishments

instead of making any move that could prove risky they're just sitting on their hands and waiting for SOMEONE to do something

Yea, I think it’s sheer terror at making a decision that could somehow rebound on them and so they’re all just fervently hoping that charges get filed and gives them cover to put him on the list without having to answer any unpleasant questions about what their investigation uncovered that lead to them doing so.

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014
I pointed it out earlier in the thread, but Vick didn't even end up on the exempt list until after he was released from prison. So the idea that the NFL is waiting for charges to do something is ridiculous. The league just doesn't want to lose one of it's most popular players and is hoping that the news dies off (which a lot of it has now), and that Watson just settles with them so the league can pretend it was just a money thing. But I've been wrong before. I assumed Watson was never showing up for camp.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

FizFashizzle posted:

This may sound conspiratorial but I also think the NFL doesn't do anything because they want to dangle any domestic violence issues for union negotiations to keep pay down.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Mooseontheloose posted:

This may sound conspiratorial but I also think the NFL doesn't do anything because they want to dangle any domestic violence issues for union negotiations to keep pay down.

Care to elaborate how this would be a carrot to be utilized in labor negotiations? Like some extra morality clause to fine players?

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Care to elaborate how this would be a carrot to be utilized in labor negotiations? Like some extra morality clause to fine players?

We won't put a restrictive domestic violence clause in the contract if you agree to less money on guaranteed contracts.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Mooseontheloose posted:

We won't put a restrictive domestic violence clause in the contract if you agree to less money on guaranteed contracts.

Jesus, that's a dark thought - but yeah... I can't fault your logic.

FizFashizzle posted:

Yeah this too. Not to tout the Panthers as paragons as virtue given the old ownership but when Greg Hardy was awaiting his case the Panthers suspended him for 14 games. It took the league almost another year before they handed down their penalty. The ownership directly stepped in and refused to offer him another contract despite protestations from players and coaches in an effort to "do the right things".

I'm not saying again, that the Panthers were 100% clean in the situation but its a lot better than the almost complete silence from the Texans.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
https://twitter.com/riversmccown/status/1429276582942740480

Everything is :cool:

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Perhaps Spencer is a Colts fan?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Maybe it’s like a Book of Job thing.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
That dirtbag baseball guy is gonna steal all the coverage this gets.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Just useless

quote:

Yahoo Sports' Charles Robinson reports the criminal case against Deshaun Watson "may ensure he’s eligible to play the entire 2021 season."

Watson, who's yet to be placed on the Commissioner's Exempt List, would need to be interviewed before the league can suspend him under its personal conduct policy. That won't happen as long as Watson's criminal case is under investigation, as the NFL can't interfere with legal proceedings. It's a potential loophole that allows Watson to at least practice and be in team meetings this season. There are a lot of moving parts here.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
One weird trick that normal people with morals hate!

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

This thread could entirely be made of Rivers McCown tweets but this is funny

https://twitter.com/riversmccown/status/1429275589261811715

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

AndrewP posted:

This thread could entirely be made of Rivers McCown tweets but this is funny

https://twitter.com/riversmccown/status/1429275589261811715

He's doing research for his next stand up routine/sermon.

"Before we get into God's Word, I wanted to talk about how the different races dap you up."

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

FizFashizzle posted:

Just useless

Keep in mind the Commissioners Exempt List is just paid administrative leave and Goodell has the power through the CBA to put whoever he wants on it with no limits. The only thing stopping the NFL from stopping Watson from playing is the dumbass Commissioner.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

One weird trick that normal people with morals hate!

That poo poo's outdated, now all you have to do is to be so consistent with immorality that immorality becomes a reasonable expectation and therefore unenforceable.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

It was cool Watson made that NFL top 100 list and they played a nice little video for the sex offender under investigation rather than just say his name and spot and move on.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
“Innocent until proven guilty in a court of law” as i hang up and listen

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
I wonder what OJ's would have been like if he'd been in the league during the trial.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

I wonder what OJ's would have been like if he'd been in the league during the trial.

It would've been an even bigger circus.

And the :psyberger: with his acquittal would've been off the charts.

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

Caserio is going to get fired for not refuting this with a sermon about how Jesus assembling the disciples was the greatest off-season anyone has ever seen.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

It’s been 4 months since these accusations all started dropping and it blows my mind how there are still sports media people saying “oh Watson will just settle” like it’s been him holding out while he divides on whether to unilaterally do it. If he could settle he’d have done it months ago.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/08/28/chatter-builds-of-a-potential-deshaun-watson-trade/

PFT posted:

Multiple executives from teams not directly involved in the discussions tell PFT that there’s mounting chatter that Watson will be traded in the coming days.

The two finalists are believed to be the Panthers and the Dolphins. (The Broncos and Eagles also had been linked to Watson.) If it happens, it would turn things upside down for whichever team gets Watson.

oh boy

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Has Florio been right about anything with Watson?

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Has Florio been right about anything with Watson?

It's not just Florio saying it this time

https://twitter.com/CharlesRobinson/status/1431685635702726658
https://twitter.com/CharlesRobinson/status/1431685769693913089

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

If my team traded for Watson I'd be done as a fan. That's so loving gross.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
The dolphins are owned by a trump cabinet member so

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
That's the Jets.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Elephanthead posted:

The dolphins are owned by a trump cabinet member so

Ross is a piece of poo poo who donates money and does fundraisers, but he was never a cabinet member.

Are you thinking of Woody Johnson? He was an ambassador under Trump.

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

You don't yank on the Spine of God

BlindSite posted:

If my team traded for Watson I'd be done as a fan. That's so loving gross.

It does bother me a little bit that the Panthers would even still be kicking the tires at this juncture.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Ehud posted:

Ross is a piece of poo poo who donates money and does fundraisers, but he was never a cabinet member.

Are you thinking of Woody Johnson? He was an ambassador under Trump.

He was the secretary of commerce

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Elephanthead posted:

He was the secretary of commerce

That was Wilbur Ross, not Stephen Ross.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jivesauce
Nov 22, 2007

GD_American posted:

That was Wilbur Ross, not Stephen Ross.

Yeah, this guy: