Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Vintersorg posted:

This isn't Law & Order.

Uh huh.

But if the information about the dates not matching up is accurate, where does that leave us? A woman who wants to sue Bob Dylan for spite? Or a woman who suffered something terrible but has misremembered the details over the last 50 years?

Unfortunately no matter what the truth there already seems to be a large uphill battle to prove anything. 50 years is a long time and it seems like the case will hinge on "She said/he has well documented travel records". I doubt there will ever be a conclusive ending here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Zero One posted:

I believe she believes that it happened.

But could it have been someone else preying on a young girl in New York? Telling her they were Bob Dylan? Or a traumatic memory of an assault by someone else and she has had the details scrambled in her head? I think that could be possible.

it’s unfortunately not entirely uncommon for people with trauma and/or mental health issues to ascribe traumatic experiences to famous or even fictional figures, particularly if they’re having age-related brain stuff happening to them. People who were like 5 in 1963 saying stuff like “John F Kennedy raped me”, etc when they have a history of sexual abuse by a family member/romantic partner

I’m not saying that that’s what happened here. Do not take this as an endorsement or rejection of anything

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Why speculate on her motives, her memory or her mental condition? Where does that really get you?

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I'll just believe her since Dylan was 24 at the time and in full folk hero mentality.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I remember when Christine Blasey Ford went in front of the whole country to describe her experience of Brett Kavanaugh and their main line of defense against her was essentially suggesting that it had been someone else and she was simply confused by the identity of her attacker, or that their were perhaps a doppelgänger, a Brett lookalike that she just remembered as Brett. She had to emphatically assert that she was 100% beyond the shadow of doubt of the abuser’s identity.

It’s kind of a totally insane thing to accuse someone of, if you think about it, and while maybe not your intention, you’re just trying to discredit the witness by ascribing the issue to her fragile female psyche or a broken child’s mind misremembering. Maybe not intentionally, but that’s what that defense amounts to, and it’s kind of sexist.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

The only instance I can think of with full on mistaken identity was the one guy impersonating Mike Portnoy to have sex under false pretenses and steal from fans. Even then the mistake was due to the guy intentionally impersonating someone not just a mistake on the victim's end.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I think there was a mistaken identity issue with the guy who plays Lister on Red Dwarf as well, but it's rare

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Bust Rodd posted:

I remember when Christine Blasey Ford went in front of the whole country to describe her experience of Brett Kavanaugh and their main line of defense against her was essentially suggesting that it had been someone else and she was simply confused by the identity of her attacker, or that their were perhaps a doppelgänger, a Brett lookalike that she just remembered as Brett. She had to emphatically assert that she was 100% beyond the shadow of doubt of the abuser’s identity.

It’s kind of a totally insane thing to accuse someone of, if you think about it, and while maybe not your intention, you’re just trying to discredit the witness by ascribing the issue to her fragile female psyche or a broken child’s mind misremembering. Maybe not intentionally, but that’s what that defense amounts to, and it’s kind of sexist.

I see what you are saying and that was not my intent. Maybe I'm looking at it too pragmaticly in stating there is a possibility that both the accuser and defense could both be telling the truth.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Have you considered that your hysterical female mind simply made it all up because you want attention?

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Skwirl posted:

Yeah, if it was just her coming forward in the press about it then the dates being fuzzy on a traumatic event that happened over 50 years ago that would be one thing. But you can't sue someone without nailing down the timeline.

Yeah and unfortunately I find it hard to believe anyone could with certainty remember the timeline after this long, so if she's off a bit then that makes this kind of defense effective even though the abuse happened. For example I talked to someone the other day who was trying to find paperwork on a car accident he was in. He suffered fairly serious injuries, did physical therapy, it was a traumatic incident. He was dead certain it happened in 2014 or 2015. When I finally found it, it was 2018. And that's something that just happened in the last few years.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

DeimosRising posted:

Yeah and unfortunately I find it hard to believe anyone could with certainty remember the timeline after this long, so if she's off a bit then that makes this kind of defense effective even though the abuse happened. For example I talked to someone the other day who was trying to find paperwork on a car accident he was in. He suffered fairly serious injuries, did physical therapy, it was a traumatic incident. He was dead certain it happened in 2014 or 2015. When I finally found it, it was 2018. And that's something that just happened in the last few years.

It's probably not malpractice but it's very bad lawyering to not know exact dates when trying to sue over something like this. Bob Dylan's life is very well documented at that period of time. Like, he could still rape someone without anyone knowing, or rape someone and people know and cover for him, but if there's plane tickets saying he was on a different continent at the time?

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Bust Rodd posted:

Look at how Tara Reade has been treated and she has far more supporting evidence than Ford did.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

PeterCat posted:

Look at how Tara Reade has been treated and she has far more supporting evidence than Ford did.

I was thinking about this the other day WRT Ronan Farrow publishing a big Cuomo article about how people were talking in 2014, after the entire NY Dem assembly + DeBlasio + Gillibrand & Schumer + the White House said his goose was cooked

Didn’t Farrow supposedly “vet” the Reade accusations? I distinctly remember people saying that he supposedly looked into it and that it “didn’t pass” or whatever. Always wondered how much of that 1) was grounded in any sort of reality 2) had to do with his bosses at the New Yorker or other figures more powerful than he.

I feel gross about the idea that somebody in Farrow’s position could be a great legitimizer/delegitimizer of claims to people, and that that could be exploited or cynically employed by the powers that be.

I understand that these stories can take months and nobody knows what those editorial meetings may have looked like, but I can’t help but feel that this Cuomo article was iced until it became absolutely safe for the New Yorker, the same publication that appears to think that everybody reading it was a “Cuomosexual” like them, to burn him.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Ok Comboomer posted:

I was thinking about this the other day WRT Ronan Farrow publishing a big Cuomo article about how people were talking in 2014, after the entire NY Dem assembly + DeBlasio + Gillibrand & Schumer + the White House said his goose was cooked

Didn’t Farrow supposedly “vet” the Reade accusations? I distinctly remember people saying that he supposedly looked into it and that it “didn’t pass” or whatever. Always wondered how much of that 1) was grounded in any sort of reality 2) had to do with his bosses at the New Yorker or other figures more powerful than he.

I feel gross about the idea that somebody in Farrow’s position could be a great legitimizer/delegitimizer of claims to people, and that that could be exploited or cynically employed by the powers that be.

I understand that these stories can take months and nobody knows what those editorial meetings may have looked like, but I can’t help but feel that this Cuomo article was iced until it became absolutely safe for the New Yorker, the same publication that appears to think that everybody reading it was a “Cuomosexual” like them, to burn him.

A quick google search of "ronan farrow tara reade" only finds op-eds talking about Tara Reade's accusations and mentioning Farrow's expose on Harvey Weinstein being important to making other people being willing to come forward about their own abuse, nothing written by him about her. But if you have a single actual example of Ronan Farrow saying we shouldn't believe Tara Reade?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Skwirl posted:

A quick google search of "ronan farrow tara reade" only finds op-eds talking about Tara Reade's accusations and mentioning Farrow's expose on Harvey Weinstein being important to making other people being willing to come forward about their own abuse, nothing written by him about her. But if you have a single actual example of Ronan Farrow saying we shouldn't believe Tara Reade?

No, and I said as much-

Ok Comboomer posted:

I distinctly remember people saying that he supposedly looked into it and that it “didn’t pass” or whatever. Always wondered how much of that 1) was grounded in any sort of reality

I also remember people saying stuff like “if Reade’s claim is legitimate, then why isn’t somebody like Ronan Farrow writing about it?” and even poo poo like “wouldn’t FOX News be running with it?”

Again, my point was not to say “Ronan Farrow says not to believe Tara Reade” it was 1) to speak to poo poo that I had heard and ask if others had experienced something similar (I should’ve been clearer on the latter), 2) to comment on the way that certain singular media figures have been treated as gatekeepers to legitimacy and how that can be used by the rumor mill/used to sow distrust and manufacture consent.

You don’t have to be quite so hostile, my guy. I’m not a Biden stan, contrary to my occasional sparring with a couple of CSPAMmers, and I have no interest in “debunking” Tara Reade’s accusations.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I wasn't being hostile. I was asking if you had a single example of what you said happened actually happened.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Skwirl posted:

I wasn't being hostile. I was asking if you had a single example of what you said happened actually happened.

People in my orbit, and in D&D, suggesting that the lack of press attention/scrutiny “probably meant that it didn’t hold water”? It absolutely happened. It’s literally one of the reasons for the bad blood between D&D and CSPAM (remember all the “JOE” avatars post-election and the people laughing/gnashing their teeth about them?)

I’m not gonna waste my time appeasing you by seeking out individual quotes from an election that happened in November but it absolutely happened. If you weren’t aware or active enough to notice it that’s your problem.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I don't read D&D or C-spam

Edit: loving lol at "lack of press attention means it didn't happen"

Double edit: Double lol at at "it's not up to me to provide a single example of what I claim, do your own research"

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Aug 19, 2021

Rabelais D
Dec 11, 2012

ts'u nnu k'u k'o t'khye:
A demon doth defecate at thy door
The lawyer for the accuser has already said the timeline of events is still consistent with the accuser's story. "Over a six week period" does not have to mean every day for six weeks, it could also indicate a couple of times over a six week period.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I don't think Ronan Farrow has said literally anything about Tara Reade.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Bust Rodd posted:

It’s because nobody gives a poo poo about black women and girls, if you read or watch anything about R Kelly the underlying issue at stake is that, it doesn’t matter how gruesome or hosed up something is, if the victim is a black women then huge swathes of the population just fully check out and put their blinders up.

I just remember one of Kelly’s girlfriends mothers giving an interview like “I call the police, I call the newspaper, I say my baby has been kidnapped, she can’t call me, she can’t leave, she ain’t eating… nothing! It’s on the front page of the drat newspaper and nothing!”

I mean how many black women came forward about Cosby before the white Swedish model came out and suddenly it’s in court…

Hey, I agree with you that black women are unfairly discriminated against in a bunch of ways and the pain inflicted on them is all too often ignored and that's reprehensible, but that little dismissive dig you threw in right at the end of your post was really loving lovely.

Billy Cosby raped women for decades, black women and white women, and it took over 60 of them accusing them in court for anything to be done about it. It wasn't just "oh one white woman spoke up and now suddenly people care" it was a long hard battle for every woman involved that only happened after years of pain and struggle.

Oh, and just to pour even more salt in the wounds, he's not even in jail anymore so gently caress you every victim he abused.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Skwirl posted:

I don't read D&D or C-spam

Edit: loving lol at "lack of press attention means it didn't happen"

Double edit: Double lol at at "it's not up to me to provide a single example of what I claim, do your own research"

I didn’t claim anything specific, you loving douchebag

I don’t have to source a quote from a random acquaintance of mine that said a thing about their voting logic a year ago, and I don’t have to source quotes for a sectarian schism that happened across a chunk of the forums, also a goddamn year ago

Clearly Joe Biden won and a lotta people who knew about Tara Reade voted for him, so uhh I guess they had to come up with justifications for it. But no, Skwirl wants receipts

Eat my whole rear end

lol, “I don’t read cspam or D&D so none of what you said happened”, then get the gently caress out of this cspam thread, why don’t you?

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Aug 20, 2021

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
This, uh, this isn't Cspam.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

This, uh, this isn't Cspam.

Wait, wasn’t this thread in CSPAM at one point?

Either way it doesn’t matter. I don’t have to source quotes on poo poo I said from the very beginning was hearsay.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Ok Comboomer posted:

I didn’t claim anything specific, you loving douchebag

I don’t have to source a quote from a random acquaintance of mine that said a thing about their voting logic a year ago, and I don’t have to source quotes for a sectarian schism that happened across a chunk of the forums, also a goddamn year ago

Clearly Joe Biden won and a lotta people who knew about Tara Reade voted for him, so uhh I guess they had to come up with justifications for it. But no, Skwirl wants receipts

Eat my whole rear end

lol, “I don’t read cspam or D&D so none of what you said happened”, then get the gently caress out of this cspam thread, why don’t you?

Quotin' this post because the edit is absolutely hilarious.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Everybody hates milquetoast duck. We don't regret- https://twitter.com/clairemcnear/status/1428109787296841728?s=20

https://twitter.com/theferocity/status/1428152163134590978?s=20

https://twitter.com/TheAVClub/status/1428141050258808832?s=20

quote:

Richards’ conduct at The Price Of Right led to two workplace discrimination lawsuits; both settled out of court. These suits “focused on the mistreatment of female employees by Price’s male leadership, including Richards.” For example, according to Price Is Right model Brandi Cochran’s 2010 lawsuit against the show, Richards cracked jokes about how he would’ve fired Cochran had he known about her pregnancy ahead of time and “decided that the models’ skirts should be shorter and said that he liked the models to look as if they were going out on a date.”

quote:

In an episode published on September 4, 2014, after the iCloud photo hack, which exposed intimate images of numerous female celebrities, Richards asked his assistant and his cohost—both much younger women—whether they had ever taken nude photos. When his cohost said that she had sometimes taken photos of herself when she thought she looked cute, Richards responded, “Like booby pictures? What are we looking at?” Later, he asked to go through her phone; when she declined to share an image with him, he asked whether it was “of [her] boobies.”

On another 2014 episode, Richards said that one-piece swimsuits made women look “really frumpy and overweight,” echoing the portion of Cochran’s lawsuit that mentions Richards’s preferences about swimwear.

Richards issued a statement on the show to The Ringer, which is more or less what you’d expect: “It is humbling to confront a terribly embarrassing moment of misjudgment, thoughtlessness, and insensitivity from nearly a decade ago. Looking back now, there is no excuse, of course, for the comments I made on this podcast and I am deeply sorry. The podcast was intended to be a series of irreverent conversations between longtime friends who had a history of joking around.” To be clear, when the episode in question was published, Mike Richards was 39-years-old.

Nevertheless, throughout the run of The Randumb Show, he continued to make sexist comments, calling his cohost and former assistant Beth Triffon a “booth ho,” “booth slut,” and “boothstitute” for working as a model at the CES tradeshow. Then, of course, there were also the times he referred to little people as the M-word, dropped the R-word, and made antisemitic and classist remarks.

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
It’s so clear and simple that this dude should just step down but he’s gonna loving ruin and bring down an American institution with him because he’s an entitled rich white guy with a massive ego.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Burton would have been such a slam dunk

To me, the Larry King evidence is all I needed to believe everything Reade said. It’s simply too weird to ignore

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The horrific smear job inflicted on Tara Reade distracted from the deafening silence from every other quarter. It was a very mask-off moment and clear the marching orders had come down.

And right after they had a 'body language expert' say that Bernie Sanders was absolutely a sexual predator with no evidence.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
https://twitter.com/theeashleyray/status/1428354387936567310

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

This isn't about Hollywood. But a longtime employee of The Broken Token, a popular maker of board game accessories, wrote a Medium post about the 10 years of sexual abuse and manipulation she faced and continues to face: https://medium.com/@ashrtaylor13/speaking-up-to-protect-others-73f152bcb772

She left the company but apparently it's happened to another employee, which prompted her to speak out. The story broke me, it's heartwrenching.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Dang. My friend got the Lords of Waterdeep set

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Bust Rodd posted:

Burton would have been such a slam dunk

To me, the Larry King evidence is all I needed to believe everything Reade said. It’s simply too weird to ignore

Would love Burton but it obviously should've been Jennings from the get go and even before this poo poo came out about Richards it was ridiculous. Acting like all the guest hosts were tryouts when they went on for way too loving long turned even more obnoxious when it turned out they were just a ratings stunt (something I even called early on).

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The horrific smear job inflicted on Tara Reade distracted from the deafening silence from every other quarter. It was a very mask-off moment and clear the marching orders had come down.

And right after they had a 'body language expert' say that Bernie Sanders was absolutely a sexual predator with no evidence.
Heck it's a masks off topic for the majority of D&D posters.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Groovelord Neato posted:

Would love Burton but it obviously should've been Jennings from the get go and even before this poo poo came out about Richards it was ridiculous. Acting like all the guest hosts were tryouts when they went on for way too loving long turned even more obnoxious when it turned out they were just a ratings stunt (something I even called early on).

Jennings has said just as much racist and sexist poo poo on podcasts and twitter as Richards. Stuff like he can't remember which asian actress is which because he forgets "which one has the slanty eyes".

Burton had a rough and nervous start but was a pretty great host by the end of the week. There were other guests who were quite good like Meredith Vieira and surprisingly Aaron Rodgers. But Alex Trebek himself suggested Laura Coates as a successor. She is a black woman, was not even given an audition. Not famous enough I guess.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Jennings has said just as much racist and sexist poo poo on podcasts and twitter as Richards. Stuff like he can't remember which asian actress is which because he forgets "which one has the slanty eyes".

He defended bean dad on twitter or something, but I don't think he made a slanty eye tweet. Also, and this is a pretty noticeable difference, he's never been sued for rampant sexual discrimination and harassment while being in charge of a gameshow.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Skwirl posted:

He defended bean dad on twitter or something, but I don't think he made a slanty eye tweet. Also, and this is a pretty noticeable difference, he's never been sued for rampant sexual discrimination and harassment while being in charge of a gameshow.

Found what I was remembering

https://twitter.com/KenJennings/status/206877948341530625?s=19

There are a bunch like this in general

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Found what I was remembering

https://twitter.com/KenJennings/status/206877948341530625?s=19

There are a bunch like this in general

Mea culpa, yeah that's bad.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
As I was saying, Burton would’ve been a slam dunk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PeterCat