Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tenderjerk
Nov 6, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 355 days!
If anything could help biden its continuously referencing trump which is also the sole reason nyt keeps me employed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

PyPy posted:

I recently learned I can write a sql statement and paste it into excel data queries and send that excel to my coworkers so they have an easy way to pull recurring reports from the MS SQL DB. Now I don’t need to pull the reporting for them. I’m not a professional coder, I know just enough to make my life easier.

I once worked at a chemical company that shipped a lot of hazmat and they had me entering classifications from a spreadsheet to a mainframe app. I found out that the mainframe terminal app had VisualBasic hooks so I wrote a program that iterated through the spreadsheet and entered the data for me and went to lunch.

Anyway while I was at lunch the holding tables the mainframe app used to queue writes filled up due to the high value of data my thing was entering, and they couldn't issue any purchase orders for four hours. whoops

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

19 o'clock posted:

there are no good excel workbooks, just missed opportunities for SQL.

What about using power query to pull data into excel from a sql database

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
give chris cillizza 7 pulitzers actually, one for each figure on his paycheck

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

PyPy posted:

I recently learned I can write a sql statement and paste it into excel data queries and send that excel to my coworkers so they have an easy way to pull recurring reports from the MS SQL DB. Now I don’t need to pull the reporting for them. I’m not a professional coder, I know just enough to make my life easier.

Just get them power bi or something

Apr 7, 2003

Drunkboxer posted:

give chris cillizza 7 pulitzers actually, one for each figure on his paycheck

If he were in the mob his nickname would be Chrissy Clits

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

I once worked at a chemical company that shipped a lot of hazmat and they had me entering classifications from a spreadsheet to a mainframe app. I found out that the mainframe terminal app had VisualBasic hooks so I wrote a program that iterated through the spreadsheet and entered the data for me and went to lunch.

Anyway while I was at lunch the holding tables the mainframe app used to queue writes filled up due to the high value of data my thing was entering, and they couldn't issue any purchase orders for four hours. whoops

lol classic Tayne, queueing writes and filing them up cause of all that high value data his thing enters.

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

B-Rock452 posted:

I just got a notification that there is a subject in the pickup truck at the library of Congress and is in communication with crisis negotiators so lol if vanilla isis is starting to do some suicide bombings.

https://twitter.com/haleytalbotnbc/status/1428381560999452675

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

Mayor Dave posted:

What about using power query to pull data into excel from a sql database

lol

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Mayor Dave posted:

Just get them power bi or something

Yeah, we use looker

VideoKid
Jul 28, 2006

I don’t care about your excel sheets unless they are about cspam posting statistics

emfive
Aug 6, 2011

Hey emfive, this is Alec. I am glad you like the mummy eating the bowl of shitty pasta with a can of 'parm.' I made that image for you way back when. I’m glad you enjoy it.

shyduck posted:

The hardest course I went though in engineering school (and a lot of this was due to an extremely strict professor) was mechanics of materials, or basically "actually building poo poo". Forces, moments, all that good stuff you need to calculate for bridges, structures, etc. For exams we had to show all work to specific precision, and he wasn't kind with mistakes. His mantra was "bridge fail = go to jail", so you better be correct. He's one of those teachers I hated at first but grew to really appreciate

I watched a "Brick Immortar" yt video about the Minneapolis bridge collapse back 15 years ago, and the stuff about gusset plates and rivet patterns and material stress made me super glad that I didn't go into that line of work.

Buddykins
Feb 12, 2011

stu pid FUCK asshole shit gizzard
trieup

PyPy
Sep 13, 2004

by vyelkin

you laugh, but this is how business is done

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

Harton posted:

lol classic Tayne, queueing writes and filing them up cause of all that high value data his thing enters.

high value data?

sir…this is a Carl’s Junior’s…

PyPy
Sep 13, 2004

by vyelkin
query deez nuts

Buddykins
Feb 12, 2011

stu pid FUCK asshole shit gizzard
buncha NERDS in here! :smugdon:

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

PyPy posted:

you laugh, but this is how business is done

that I will absolutely concede. it’s a bummer.

emfive
Aug 6, 2011

Hey emfive, this is Alec. I am glad you like the mummy eating the bowl of shitty pasta with a can of 'parm.' I made that image for you way back when. I’m glad you enjoy it.

PyPy posted:

note that that feature means your organization is one spear-phishing attack away from being completely obliterated

you can live with me for a while if that happens

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

just an economically anxious lone wolf bombman

tenderjerk
Nov 6, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 355 days!
Trump threads favorite column is QQ

PyPy
Sep 13, 2004

by vyelkin
mostly because everyone already have Microsoft office installed. no additional software to purchase

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

PyPy posted:

mostly because everyone already have Microsoft office installed. no additional software to purchase

yup

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

PyPy posted:

Power bi is free

Apr 7, 2003

More like Power BM

PyPy
Sep 13, 2004

by vyelkin

emfive posted:

note that that feature means your organization is one spear-phishing attack away from being completely obliterated

you can live with me for a while if that happens

we have read only access. I don’t know if that matters. honestly I’d like to know how to do stuff like this better (and safer) but :shrug:

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

PyPy
Sep 13, 2004

by vyelkin

hell yeah

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
buddykins successfully got walk the dinosaur stuck in my head

gregday
May 23, 2003

https://twitter.com/nirvananoir/status/1428374898557259779

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

lol today Trevor Bauer is gonna invoke the 5th about raping that woman

rip bro

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

whats this the strip club money rain

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Of course all of this

PyPy
Sep 13, 2004

by vyelkin
I watched Dirty Rotten Scoundrels last night and lost it at “ not mother”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKDUDF3cgRA

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

the milk machine posted:

buddykins successfully got walk the dinosaur stuck in my head

It was a night like this forty million years ago, I lit a cigarette, picked up a monkey skull to go, The sun was spitting fire, the sky was blue as ice, I felt a little tired, so I watched Miami Vice, And walked the dinosaur, I walked the dinosaur

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

do you think dinosaurs hosed