Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
I was under the impression that he was also collecting them into a set physically, spending (inherited?) money to do so.

So it’s more than just listing it. It’s here all of it is in my library here where it can be looked at all together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shirunei
Sep 7, 2018

I tried to run away. To take the easy way out. I'll live through the suffering. When I die, I want to feel like I did my best.

CrypticFox posted:

No one, not Constantine, or Origen, or a council of Christian bigshots ever consciously sat down to determine what the bible should contain.

I mean if you ignore Marcion, who arguably was the original catalyst towards codification, that may be true, but most scholars do not.

CrypticFox
Dec 19, 2019

"You are one of the most incompetent of tablet writers"

shirunei posted:

I mean if you ignore Marcion, who arguably was the original catalyst towards codification, that may be true, but most scholars do not.

If you count people like Marcion who tried to create an alternative biblical canon, then sure, there were a bunch of people who made choices about inclusion and exclusion of texts for the whole Bible. However, Marcion's ideas did not ultimately last very long or achieve widespread acceptance, much like dozens of other Christian leaders and sects who promoted non-standard ideas in the first few centuries of Christianity. I didn't include Marcion or any of the other "heretical" leaders in the early church who had alternative ideas about the biblical canon, since their ideas did not ultimately influence the composition of the Bible in a meaningful way.

Even if we credit that concern over his teachings caused conventional Christians to accelerate the process of formalizing tradition into a codified list of texts, it does not make sense to credit him with influencing the actual composition of the Bible. None of his ideas made it in. He wanted one gospel, the Bible ended up with 4. His views about the Old Testament never had any lasting influence. He rejected the non-Pauline epistles, but those ended up in the Bible anyway. It is true that he made a list of the texts he wanted included in Christian scripture, picking and choosing the parts he liked, but since that list had essentially zero influence on the Bible's final form, its not terribly relevant to the question of how the Bible took its shape.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

To what degree were the Pauline Epistles shaping Christian thought and to what degree were they showing us the major undercurrents that were already in existence?

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Well they’re older than the gospels.

I mean parts of the gospels are probably older. But Paul’s letters are before the war and the gospels only get written as the war starts and progresses and after but are probably reflective of the oral histories and stories from communities before the war.

Bar Ran Dun fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Aug 15, 2021

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Iraneus, Iraneus.
Iraneus, Iraneus.
Iraneus, Iraneus.
Ooooh, Iraneus.

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
OUR 47TH PRESIDENT AFTER THE ONE WHO SHOWERS WITH HIS DAUGHTER DIES
Grimey Drawer

Ola posted:

I don't have any kids, but I have google. "eye strain causes blindness" is filled with hits that says it doesn't, even from those that would profit if it did.

https://www.specsavers.com.au/help-and-faqs/what-is-the-impact-of-eye-strain

https://www.nvisioncenters.com/education/screen-time-and-your-eyes/

https://goaskalice.columbia.edu/answered-questions/can-chronic-eyestrain-cause-blindness

https://www.sharp.com/health-news/can-staring-at-a-screen-make-me-go-blind.cfm

https://www.healthline.com/health/asthenopia

I'm happy to check out any science to the contrary. I'll have no problem reading it even though I've been staring at screens for most of my waking hours for 20+ years.

If you ever have or adopt kids, put them to work; they're cheap, and they've been used forever. Yay.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Quick question:

Are there any philological issues with Plutarch's Lives? Specifically, I'm doing some light secondary reading for early-modern English contexts, and I'm wondering if there is anything wonky in the transmission history, like it was mostly available in some bad or incomplete Latin text until the eighteenth century, or things like that.

e. I figured it out on my own of course :doh: but feel free to tell me anything neat you know about the philology of Plutarch

CommonShore fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Aug 16, 2021

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Parallel Lives is one of the best-transmitted secular works from antiquity. There’s a bit on the manuscript tradition here if you scroll down. The earliest English edition (which Shakespeare got his antique plots from, for example) was retranslated from the French, with translation from the original taking a century or more to follow.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

skasion posted:

Parallel Lives is one of the best-transmitted secular works from antiquity. There’s a bit on the manuscript tradition here if you scroll down. The earliest English edition (which Shakespeare got his antique plots from, for example) was retranslated from the French, with translation from the original taking a century or more to follow.

Yeah that's the page that I found from which I filled in the missing gaps. I already had my hands on the 1579 edition, but I didn't know what the transmission was before that.

I'm doing a lazy collation right now between the accompanying loeb translation of Caesar's life and the 1579 one and there are some mildly interesting but largely inconsequential differences.

Loeb: "Let the die be cast"
Amyot/North: "A desperate man fearteth no danger"

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

CommonShore posted:

Yeah that's the page that I found from which I filled in the missing gaps. I already had my hands on the 1579 edition, but I didn't know what the transmission was before that.

I'm doing a lazy collation right now between the accompanying loeb translation of Caesar's life and the 1579 one and there are some mildly interesting but largely inconsequential differences.

Loeb: "Let the die be cast"
Amyot/North: "A desperate man fearteth no danger"

Were early modern translations way more liberal? Alea iacta est is not exactly a tough phrase and I took latin a decade ago with the help of my buddies Sextus and Cornelius. Were there subber-dubber wars between literalists and however you get the 1579? Did the subbers and dubbers stab each other at university?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Were early modern translations way more liberal? Alea iacta est is not exactly a tough phrase and I took latin a decade ago with the help of my buddies Sextus and Cornelius. Were there subber-dubber wars between literalists and however you get the 1579? Did the subbers and dubbers stab each other at university?

It's really hard to say in this exact case because it went to French first, and then to English. From my very quick googling of the different versions, it appears that the French translator decided to use a proverb of origin I can't figure out there in the translation instead of the transliteration from the Latin.

e. I just noticed the extremely small text sidenote that says "The Greeks useth this phrase of speech, cast the dye."

My Latin is extremely weak, but my conscious knowledge of the grammar good enough to break down and parse short passages even if I can't read it without assistance. Anyway, I've spent some time comparing medieval and early modern translations to modern translations, and I've encountered the whole array of translation approaches. I've found that largely, though, earlier translators would tend to either make the translation feel a bit more like the fashionable verse of their time, and they would feel it their duty to translate unfamiliar concepts to something that their audience could grasp.

The one that always comes to mind for me first is translations of classical Epic which present Achilles or Aeneas or whoever in the language of romantic knights, wearing casques and pricking their horses and jousting while flying their ladies' favours. The ready example in my memory is Roman D'Eneas, which is an Old French translation/adaptation of the Aeneid, and I have to confess I read that one in a modern English transliteration from the French, but I've seen the same trope elsewhere.

CommonShore fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Aug 16, 2021

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Okay, which one of you was in Thailand?

https://aseannow.com/topic/1214879-man-dressed-as-spartan-warrior-arrested-in-nonthaburi/

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

drat agesilaus finally showed back up

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
https://twitter.com/scalzi/status/1428124313627070468?s=20

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

too soon

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

I tried writing a joke about Sisyphus, but it was an uphill struggle.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
I know a joke about Claudius but it's kind of lame and way too cerebral by the end.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I avoid jokes about Charybdis, because they notoriously suck. But I've been working on some about Scylla and they're headed places.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

I have a joke about Caesar! Oh… you too?

Lewd Mangabey
Jun 2, 2011
"What sort of ape?" asked Stephen.
"A damned ill-conditioned sort of an ape. It had a can of ale at every pot-house on the road, and is reeling drunk. It has been offering itself to Babbington."
"... so I said, that's no lady, that's my wife! All right, that's my set, folks. Don't forget to tip your waitress. Also, Carthage must be destroyed."

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

An Ancient Greek enters a tailor’s shop with a torn toga.

“Eumenides?”

“Sure can! Euripides?”

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Triskelli posted:

“Eumenides?”

“Sure can! Euripides?”

Oh man, that's another level.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Triskelli posted:

“Eumenides?”

“Sure can! Euripides?”

:hmmyes:

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Togas were Roman not Greek :colbert:

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Many ancient Greeks were Roman citizens and would wear the toga, at least sometimes, to advertise that

Its not the period that immediately jumps to mind when you hear ancient Greece but its fine, imo

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

feedmegin posted:

So what you’re telling me is that Raphael was a hack that did zero research? Let me google “toga” and

…godDAMMIT weebs!!

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

feedmegin posted:

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

Triskelli posted:

“Eumenides?”

“Sure can! Euripides?”

in master of olympus (the greek-themed entry in the impressions city builder series) there's a cloth merchant who says "euripides eumenides" when you click on him

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Best joke like that:

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Euripideez nuts

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

Euripides nuts, Eumenides nuts

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Jason and the argh my nuts

Silver John
Sep 30, 2014
Does anybody have a good book suggestion for ancient Ireland? Especially something that discusses how their politics worked

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Hibernia After Reading

carrionman
Oct 30, 2010
Has anyone checked in on Metatron recently? Is he uh... ok?

I mostly remember him going over mistakes in reproduction gear and bits about Roman legions, but I see two of his videos in my recommended list about how inclusivity in history dramas is bad and 'Metatron vs the SJWs'

Has he started chasing the clicks or gone full brainworms?

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

carrionman posted:

I mostly remember him going over mistakes in reproduction gear and bits about Roman legions, but I see two of his videos in my recommended list about how inclusivity in history dramas is bad and 'Metatron vs the SJWs'

he has history nerd brain and wants accuracy in historical dramas so his point is that instead of making achillies black, they should instead make a show about the ethiopian kingdom or mansa munsa or whatever.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

WoodrowSkillson posted:

he has history nerd brain and wants accuracy in historical dramas so his point is that instead of making achillies black, they should instead make a show about the ethiopian kingdom or mansa munsa or whatever.

Can't get much blacker than the Myrmidons.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Is Memnon not in the show?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

carrionman posted:

I bravely watched the video for you and he says he does not care about fictional shows, but doesn't like it when BBC teach has black celts and black normans etc.