Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The hottest, coolest time in Texas -nay - in any of these United States.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

I always feel bad for the reporter, who extremely likely had nothing to do with the headline but will catch all the poo poo for it.

This is what happens when you fire all your copy editors and outsource the job to some "hub" in Jacksonville.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

zoux posted:

The amount of non-factual and outright wrong reporting I see on topics I know stuff about makes me question how seriously I should take reporting regarding things I don't know stuff about

It was still a small town about 10 years ago dude. And being an hour drive from Austin and 30-45 from San Antonio is nothing for Texans but that’s a pretty long drive for almost everywhere else in the States. I am finally looking into moving out of Houston to a place with better outdoor life and the short drives to poo poo like mountains or the beach is pretty mind blowing

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

PostNouveau posted:

I always feel bad for the reporter, who extremely likely had nothing to do with the headline but will catch all the poo poo for it.

This is what happens when you fire all your copy editors and outsource the job to some "hub" in Jacksonville.

I usually wrote my own headlines when I was writing. We were a small, focused news agency though.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/ryanlcooper/status/1428359960379871241

Galveston couple dies on consecutive days, leaving four orphans.

quote:

But after a week-long church camp,

Mmm hmm.

quote:

By the time Rodriguez, 42, changed her mind and asked for the shot, it was too late, her doctor said.

Because vaccines are not treatments

Numlock
May 19, 2007

The simplest seppo on the forums

DangerZoneDelux posted:

It was still a small town about 10 years ago dude. And being an hour drive from Austin and 30-45 from San Antonio is nothing for Texans but that’s a pretty long drive for almost everywhere else in the States. I am finally looking into moving out of Houston to a place with better outdoor life and the short drives to poo poo like mountains or the beach is pretty mind blowing

I buy that people outside of texas didn't know about New Braunfels but growing up near Austin I went down there nearly every summer for tubing in the river or schilterbahn. Just about every body I know who was actually raised in Texas has a similar experience.

It hasn't been remote since the horse and buggy days.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/ryanlcooper/status/1428359960379871241

Galveston couple dies on consecutive days, leaving four orphans.

Mmm hmm.

I mean....
I might catch flak for this. But I'll say it.
It sucks when innocent people are caught in the crossfire. Those freshly minted orphans? That sucks.
Someone with an immunodeficiency, who CANT get the vaxx catching this and dying? Sucks.
Me, following all the precautions, getting vaxxed, and masking up, tryong to social distance, and still catching it? That would suck.
But truthfully? After the past decade of wider and wider political schism? I'm not worried or bothered anymore by the sort of people who say, masks are a choice, vaxx are a danger, and covid is a plandemic dying from covid.
loving thin the herd.
Rack 'em 'n stack 'em.

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

DangerZoneDelux posted:

The name of the dang metropolitan statistical area is the "San Antonio-New Braunfels MSA", you don't get your name put on San Antonio's metro area and still get called "remote". The only parts of the States where "30 miles" is "a pretty long drive" are places like Los Angeles and NYC.

(Anyway the article isn't that terrible, but the original headline on top of it poisoned the well.)

zoux posted:

I am curious though - are regular people like this getting antibody treatments like regeneron? I wish that would get covered more if so, to drive home that the treatments we have are still far less effective than just being vaccinated.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

reasons to visit new braunfels:

• schlitterbahn

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Blotto_Otter posted:

The name of the dang metropolitan statistical area is the "San Antonio-New Braunfels MSA", you don't get your name put on San Antonio's metro area and still get called "remote". The only parts of the States where "30 miles" is "a pretty long drive" are places like Los Angeles and NYC.

(Anyway the article isn't that terrible, but the original headline on top of it poisoned the well.)

I am curious though - are regular people like this getting antibody treatments like regeneron? I wish that would get covered more if so, to drive home that the treatments we have are still far less effective than just being vaccinated.

Yeah

chglcu
May 17, 2007

I'm so bored with the USA.

Panty Saluter posted:

• schlitterbahn
  • bahn
  • bahn

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

lol

The Bananana posted:

loving thin the herd.
Rack 'em 'n stack 'em.
I know their ICU trip was just an outright celebration of ignorance but these people are still victims of for-profit news media and malicious (and vaccinated) politicians who, to the man, deserve death

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Panty Saluter posted:

• schlitterbahn

Town is pretty chill to go through, and the drive west from there is nice scenery.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Lol

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Panty Saluter posted:

• schlitterbahn

- float the river
- German immigrant history stuff

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

DangerZoneDelux posted:

https://twitter.com/Forrest4Trees/status/1428380038500651010

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

I feel like “outlying” is even less true than “remote” is

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Badger of Basra posted:

I feel like “outlying” is even less true than “remote” is

I mean, it could be considered an exurb of both Austin and San Antonio, and that is the type of language you'd use for an exurb.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Menard is remote, Georgetown is outlying.

https://twitter.com/cubbie9000/status/1428143784882327552

Clean out the storm cellar boys we got us an Afghan soo nami on the way

zoux fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Aug 19, 2021

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

The Bananana posted:

loving thin the herd.
Rack 'em 'n stack 'em.

Leave and never come back.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Big Beef City posted:

Leave and never come back.

Nah

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

PostNouveau posted:

- float the river
- German immigrant history stuff

Wurstfest
Landa Park

I went to elementary and junior high in New Braunfels. It’s a very nice town to live in.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?

Panty Saluter posted:

• schlitterbahn

Most the tourists ask me for river tubes so I assume that is a draw too.

Target has never sold river tubes please stop asking me about them

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Twibbit posted:

Most the tourists ask me for river tubes so I assume that is a draw too.

Target has never sold river tubes please stop asking me about them

Really missing out on some hyper local sales.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Tell that to corporate. They set our inventory

Edit: though the growth in the ten years I have been here is insane. So many housing developments in places that just were fields etc

Twibbit fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Aug 19, 2021

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

I like the Gristmill and Gruene Hall. Add it to the list!

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

George H.W. oval office posted:

I like the Gristmill and Gruene Hall. Add it to the list!

Haven't been to the Gristmill in near 10 years.
That place was pretty tasty, and I loved sitting on the deck.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

I always enjoyed freiheit for delicious if a tad too greasey burgers.
Though that may be influenced by how close they are to me

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

I've hit up Naegelin's then hung out at Landa Park for an afternoon many times.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

https://twitter.com/SawyerHackett/status/1428133833854095360?s=19

Thank goodness

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/carla_astudi/status/1428418319271530502

lmao

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
https://twitter.com/tenaciouspm/status/1428117519492079621?s=20

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

crossposting

https://twitter.com/lmcgaughy/status/1428438745569763333

Well, I know this idea was in the general discourse, but looks like they are looking how to implement it, at least in north Texas.

quote:

The online meeting involving several dozen doctors representing many area hospitals took place Monday. Afterward, in his email, co-chair Fine summarized decisions made by the task force. He boiled it down to three bullet points. Here they are:

1. “COVID-19 vaccination decreases severe infection and death. Vaccine status therefore may be considered when making triage decisions as part of the physician’s assessment of each individual’s likelihood of survival.”

2. “When vaccination status is considered, accommodations may be needed when the reason for non-vaccination is beyond the patient’s control such as but not limited to caretaker refusal to have a disabled dependent vaccinated, recent COVID-19 infection, or medical contraindication.”

3. “Many are understandably angry and frustrated with the unvaccinated, but triage must remain grounded upon likelihood of survival. Health care professionals should continue to honor duties of care and compassion.”

Fine concludes, “I encourage the medical professionals on the task force to share these ideas within their respective organization ethics committees, triage committees and/or any physicians who might be involved in triage decisions.”

This change will only go into effect if the region’s hospitals agree to call for a Level 3 alert, which puts hospitals in a crisis stage. Fine says he worries that this could happen in two weeks or so.

Using vaccination status in admittance determinations, he says, is an issue that has “been bubbling under the surface.”

Under the new guideline, vaccination status cannot be the single factor, but one of many.

The goal, Casanova said, is and always has been “to save as many lives as possible.”

He gives an example of two patients admitted, and one is vaccinated and the other isn’t. Doctors use scoring to determine who has a better chance of surviving the hospital stay. That patient, vaccinated or not, would get the bed, doctors say.

Doctors and nurses are “soul tired,” Casanova said. “Folks in the trenches are in a bad place now. We’re telling them ‘Here’s the guidelines. Here’s what we have to do. … But remember the cornerstone of our being a health care professional is compassion, mercy and empathy.’”

Under the old guidelines released in January, vaccination status was not mentioned.

Fine said, “This does not move a COVID-19 patient to the back of the line. It is one of many factors that may be considered, and we want it considered based not upon somebody being angry at the unvaccinated subconsciously. We want it considered on an objective basis.” That basis is, what is the likelihood of survival?

Fine explained, “You can’t penalize people by a group or class and just drop all of them to the end of the line just because they’re not vaccinated.”

The major concern here are that historically disadvantaged socioeconomic groups tend to be under vaccinated. TX is in relatively better shape than the other Southern states, we have a few hundred ICU beds (of course, in a state this size, if they run out in DFW, a hundred ICU beds in Amarillo aren't gonna help much) - Mississippi health officials reported today that they have less than 10 beds and 96 patients that need them.

IT BURNS
Nov 19, 2012

No Ganksta N-I-P? Lame.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSjzw05kZMc

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

I didn't expect MC Overlord to have a spot, but I had to check anyways because he deserves it. He put in decades of work to make Austin hip-hop happen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q20OF4mPzpE

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

zoux posted:

Mississippi health officials reported today that they have less than 10 beds and 96 patients that need them.

my co-worker's grandmother is in the ICU in mississippi. she's 91 and effectively brain dead but the pull the plug decision has to be unanimous with one of the children and there's a holdout aunt

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/alexazura/status/1428477429211930625?s=21

That would do it, provided the 96 who have made roll call this special are actually all there

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Do you think they each got some kind of specific concession or did they just get tired of being in DC

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

zoux posted:

crossposting

https://twitter.com/lmcgaughy/status/1428438745569763333

Well, I know this idea was in the general discourse, but looks like they are looking how to implement it, at least in north Texas.

The major concern here are that historically disadvantaged socioeconomic groups tend to be under vaccinated. TX is in relatively better shape than the other Southern states, we have a few hundred ICU beds (of course, in a state this size, if they run out in DFW, a hundred ICU beds in Amarillo aren't gonna help much) - Mississippi health officials reported today that they have less than 10 beds and 96 patients that need them.

yeah this screams "rich whites need ICU beds"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Badger of Basra posted:

Do you think they each got some kind of specific concession or did they just get tired of being in DC

Latter. Some R rep retired today so that lowered the threshold to 99, just 3 short, and Coleman said he was coming back today, knocking it to two.

https://mobile.twitter.com/DonnaHowardTX/status/1428484532467118084

https://mobile.twitter.com/BeckleyforTX/status/1428484911887962112

Through party infighting? I agree Michelle Beckley.

I am once again asking the Tex Dem caucus to not have public fights on twitter

Proud Christian Mom posted:

yeah this screams "rich whites need ICU beds"

Nice hot rear end take but the people ending up in the icu are more likely to be poor or minorities

zoux fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Aug 19, 2021