Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Every cairn in Canyonlands was a little miracle that kept me from getting hopelessly lost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Actual navigational cairs are usually pretty substantial. No one officially maintaining trails should be relying on an artfully-balanced single column of rocks.

DaNerd
Sep 15, 2009

u br?

withak posted:

an artfully-balanced single column of rocks.

I remember Arches and/or Canyonlands (can't remember which) trails were largely this, the smaller less popular trails at least. Some of them were only 2-3 rocks.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
We have a large endangered salamander that breeds under river rocks and even though there’s signs not to build them the streams in my favorite places are a minefield of cairns.

So now I can’t see them anywhere without thinking of the slimy boys losing their houses.

HEY BUDDY STOP FUCKN WITH MY ROCKS
\

Rolo fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Aug 15, 2021

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Rolo posted:

We have a small endangered salamander that breeds under river rocks and even though there’s signs not to build them the streams in my favorite places are a minefield of cairns.

So now I can’t see them anywhere without thinking of the slimy boys losing their houses.

Salamanders are just one of the reasons they are a big no no in the Smokies (which are famous for their different species of salamanders)..

Edit: I assume that is hellbender? That is one of the most famous ones in the Smokies.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
It’s the hellbender yeah, I tried to ninja edit the word “small” out because I’ve only seen babies. They get real big. Straight up Pokémon looking.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Slimy Hog posted:

A couple weeks ago I saw a bunch of cairns on my way to a rock climbing spot that lead the wrong way.

The probably led to a different climbing spot, or something at any rate. Cairns in climbing areas from my experience are rarely pointless.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Cairns are kind of the same problem as people taking small pieces of fossilized wood home. You only took a small chunk, but so did the other millions of visitors to the park and oops now there's no more fossilized wood.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

armorer posted:

The probably led to a different climbing spot, or something at any rate. Cairns in climbing areas from my experience are rarely pointless.

I realized as I started to describe the cairns to you that they're probably a walk-off for some of the trad routes there?

It lead to the top of the crag I was looking for so that's my best guess.

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

anti unofficial cairn crew

https://www.tiktok.com/embed/6969695030520990982

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Slimy Hog posted:

I realized as I started to describe the cairns to you that they're probably a walk-off for some of the trad routes there?

It lead to the top of the crag I was looking for so that's my best guess.

Yeah that would make sense. It's easy to get cliffed out when descending from some long trad routes, particularly if you run out of daylight on the way up, cairns are super useful in those situations.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
I like cairns because they usually tell me where to go while I'm hiking where very few people normally go on the way up to the top of mountains. I almost never see a useless one.

Yesterday I drove another stupidly long way to go hiking in Wyoming. First time I've climbed something in the state. Ended up doing Wyoming Peak and its northerly neighbor Mt Coffin. Why it's named that I have no idea, it doesn't look much like a coffin

Wyoming Peak from Mt Coffin

Supposedly there are fantastic views to be had. I saw lots of smoke

The old fire lookout that had collapsed

And then I found the mostly skeletal remains of a ram carcass. Don't often see that

:nws: https://i.imgur.com/NvCDx8U.jpg :nws:

And then on the way out I drove into a storm. The weather forecast hadn't mentioned one, but typical Wyoming weather I guess. And it was some poo poo, lightning struck a hill maybe a quarter mile away from me. And that rain wasn't just coming down in drops, that poo poo was some drat rain bombs. I don't think I've ever seen drops that huge

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

On a given summer day, this was how the lakeshore at the county park just north of my state park looked like:

Tourists are the worst :negative:

cerious
Aug 18, 2010

:dukedog:
Small trip report from the Lost Coast. It was great! Totally doable in 2 days if you have a favorable tide during the day. Night hiking any of the tidal zones seems like a terrible idea. I didn't have a great tide schedule, so I had to go like this:

Basically I got to the TH mid-afternoon Saturday and hiked for a few hours down the upper section until I reached the first tidal zone, which was basically just walking on a rocky beach with cliffs on the side. It would not be fun getting pinned anywhere here, so I waited for about an hour for the tide to recede to about 4 feet at 7pm so I could start making my way. The official recommendation is 3 feet, but 4 is pretty doable outside of a few short points where you can still get splashed by a stronger wave. I saw some a dad and his two kids that went for it a little before I did, but I caught up to them pretty quickly. By the time I got midway through the zone it was getting too dark to keep pushing on, so I set up camp up a creek. I saw a couple who had gotten there earlier with all their clothes drying on some logs since they had gotten splashed when they tried going even earlier than us. You shouldn't be getting wet on this trail!

Second day I got up early and went again on a receding tide around 4 feet again since it looked very doable, and I didn't have to do much waiting. The worst part was towards the end of the zone, but by then the tide was below 3 feet and was completely passable. The rest of this stretch was nice and flat and alternated between some rocky beach and clifftop plains overlooking the sea. I couldn't go any further past Big Flat because even though the next tidal zone was only 0.5mi away, by 1pm the rising tide was already above 3 feet and it wouldn't be below 3 feet again until 9pm.

Final day I only had a low tide of 2.7 feet, so there was only a 3 hour window in the morning with a tide below 3 feet. I went for it again at 7am around 4 feet so I would hike along a receding tide, but there were a few points where I had to wait out the tide or run around a rocky point with the ebbing tide. It was slow going here, but once I was past the first 2 mile stretch it was much faster since the tide was lower, exposing wet sand that I could go along faster. The rest of the hike was just going along a sandy beach that turned to pebbles for the last 2 miles, which was a slog.

I would say the views were the best at the first upper stretch, with the wildlife (seals, otters), abandoned lighthouse, and dramatic rocky cliffs. The flat section midway through was very nice but August isn't the right time to go, it was really dry - probably spring when those coastal plains are nice and green would be much nicer. The final stretch was basically just 8-9mi of beach hiking, which is fun but repetitive, and the views are similarly repetitive too.

In terms of difficulty, there isn't really anything physically difficult about it other than going carefully over rocks. So it's a great beginner trip for people new to backpacking if you have to spread it over 3 days like I did, or you can go for it over 2 days with a good tide schedule if you are in better shape. For me it was nice going a little slower on a flat trail since I hurt my left knee a few weeks back and I didn't realize it hadn't completely healed, so it was a bit painful bending it. The main challenge is just the logistics, with having to time the tides and stick to a schedule.

I brought a chair and book with me to pass the time and I'm super glad I did, here's how I waited out the tide on that first day (ended up starting and finishing the whole book on the trip with all the downtime):

Sorry I don't have more pictures, they're all on film that still needs development and scanning.

cerious fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Aug 17, 2021

Greatest Living Man
Jul 22, 2005

ask President Obama
There was some pretty crazy weather out on the Lost Coast on Saturday. Very warm but strong winds. I think you lucked out on that front, since springtime can get quite rainy out here.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

late to cairn chat but they're all over the alpine zone in the White Mountains and nobody minds because they keep people off the alpine vegetation. you can't really blaze the trails because they're all rocks the weather is poo poo. some of them have been there for many decades by now.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
The hiking community should probably just use two terms to describe the different things. Cairns are made for trailmarking, and they're good. Rock stacks are made for fun, and they're bad.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

:dadjoke:

cerious
Aug 18, 2010

:dukedog:

Greatest Living Man posted:

There was some pretty crazy weather out on the Lost Coast on Saturday. Very warm but strong winds. I think you lucked out on that front, since springtime can get quite rainy out here.

Maybe in the morning? Saturday afternoon was a little cloudy and grey, with a pretty decent wind, but it got real nice later into the evening. It not raining was pretty nice. It was also nice to not have to worry about mosquitoes, I forgot how nice it was not wearing a bugnet.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Kaal posted:

The hiking community should probably just use two terms to describe the different things. Cairns are made for trailmarking, and they're good. Rock stacks are made for fun, and they're bad.

Need to be careful that your anti-rockstack campaign isn't going around kicking over cairns.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

withak posted:

Need to be careful that your anti-rockstack campaign isn't going around kicking over cairns.

Cairns are generally way bigger than rock stacks, and are often constructed using stones brought in via mule, so they really are only superficially similar. If you can just kick it over, it probably isn't a cairn.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

for every rock you stack i'm going to eat three

wait

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Kaal posted:

Cairns are generally way bigger than rock stacks, and are often constructed using stones brought in via mule, so they really are only superficially similar. If you can just kick it over, it probably isn't a cairn.

This is certainly true in some places, but a lot of alpine trail markers are just a few stacked stones making up a small cairn.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

truly a land of cairntrasts

Kaal
May 22, 2002

armorer posted:

This is certainly true in some places, but a lot of alpine trail markers are just a few stacked stones making up a small cairn.

It depends on the area of course, but there's a lot of alpine areas using wire or even concrete to harden against the elements and differentiate their cairns from rock stacks. If you're up high enough that the routes need rebuilding every season, then you're already in an environment where people should be experienced enough to tell the difference.

Fitzy Fitz posted:

truly a land of cairntrasts

https://youtu.be/TwjDXwHbLfc

Kaal fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Aug 18, 2021

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

Kaal posted:

I mean this should be exhibit A for unnecessary cairns. What live-saving navigational guidance are these providing? Destroy all these.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

What hats do you angels wear when hiking?

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

mid-july i found these stacked next to a big ol campsite in a stream that obviously rises a lot in wet weather, should the hippies who stacked them be drawn and quartered, or merely blown from a gun?

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Ornery and Hornery posted:

https://www.dadbrandapparel.com/products/hat-hat

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

my dads birthday is coming up and this is perfect, thanks dad brand apparel

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

take it to an embroiderer and get another hat added to the small hat

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Ornery and Hornery posted:

https://www.decathlon.com/collections/mens-hats/products/mountain-backpacking-waterproof-hat-trek900

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
Didn't realize stacking rocks was so controversial. Today I learned.

What do you guys think of these three itineraries? I've dropped down to part time at work and I'm currently out in Utah so I figured I would squeeze in a few trips. Any additions/subtractions/modifications you'd make?

Trip 1: 8/25 Evening - 8/29 Evening

8/25 Drive to Zion
8/26 Stuff in Zion
8/27 Day Trip to North Grand Canyon
8/28 Stuff in Zion & Drive to Bryce
8/29 Bryce and drive home

Trip 2: 9/1 Evening to 9/5 Evening

9/1: Drive to Capitol Reef
9/2: Stuff in Capitol Reef
9/3: Stuff in Capitol Reef & Drive to Goblin State Park
9/4: Stuff in Goblin State Park
9/5: Stuff in Goblin State Park and drive home

Trip 3: 9/8 Evening to 9/12 Evening

9/8: Drive to Canyonlands
9/9: Stuff in Canyonlands
9/10:  Stuff in Canyonlands & Drive to Saddlehorn Campground, Colorado National Monument
9/11: Saddlehorn Campground, Colorado National Monument
9/12: Saddlehorn Campground, Colorado National Monument

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

huhu posted:

9/8: Drive to Canyonlands
9/9: Stuff in Canyonlands
9/10:  Stuff in Canyonlands & Drive to Saddlehorn Campground, Colorado National Monument
9/11: Saddlehorn Campground, Colorado National Monument
9/12: Saddlehorn Campground, Colorado National Monument

No Arches? I'd make an extra day after Canyonlands for Arches and one less at CNM.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

How familiar with the southwest are you? It's monsoon season so be prepared for that. I'm not sure how the whole of Utah gets affected, but I know the four corners area gets absolutely drenched.

We were all the way up at Ridgway in Colorado a couple weeks ago and the evening storms were pretty epic.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

huhu posted:

Didn't realize stacking rocks was so controversial. Today I learned.

What do you guys think of these three itineraries? I've dropped down to part time at work and I'm currently out in Utah so I figured I would squeeze in a few trips. Any additions/subtractions/modifications you'd make?

Trip 1: 8/25 Evening - 8/29 Evening

8/25 Drive to Zion
8/26 Stuff in Zion
8/27 Day Trip to North Grand Canyon
8/28 Stuff in Zion & Drive to Bryce
8/29 Bryce and drive home

There is a fun and short hike not far from Zion and on the way to Bryce (if I remember correctly) called the Red Hollow Slot Canyon. If you ever wanted a slot canyon all to yourself this is the hike. It is worth the stop and ended up being one of our favorite hikes.

Random link to some pictures to it I found on Google https://www.utahsadventurefamily.com/red-hollow-slot-canyon/

Edit: In Zion I will give Hidden Canyon and Observation Point a shout out as alternatives to Angels Landing.

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Aug 19, 2021

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Goblin State Park is a 1 day trip if you hit it up in the morning. It's not that big. Playing in the goblin area and goblin's lair are the highlights for sure.

George H.W. Cunt fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Aug 19, 2021

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

huhu posted:

You have Canyonlands on here, so I assume you mean Island in the Sky, but I have to recommend the Needles district if you haven't considered it. Island is majestic, but Needles is otherworldly.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

In addition, Hole in the Rock Rd. a bit south of Capitol Reef has some neat stuff all along it. Particularly Spooky Slot Canyon and Peek-a-boo. It's day trip worthy to jam yourself through some entirely small spaces

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib
I have a baseball cap from a park I wear, or a canoe floppy hat with the neck protection in back. One time hiking (while thoroughly sweaty, so I didn't feel it) I had a horsefly bite the back of my neck at the hairline. Rubbed the back of my neck with my hand and my had was just covered in blood. Really not a fan of them, but nothing repels them. So I try to keep my neck covered it bugs are active.