Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I'd give it another go since you already have it installed, but it's online nature was ultimately its undoing for me. A shame because it does some things quite well. The map is great.

Like I'd reinstall in a heartbeat if they announced an offline mode (or made private servers free).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Tenzarin posted:

You can run around a new fallout map and shoot fallout monsters or do whatever you want. Make a small camp like a coffee shop, etc. It's pretty much make your own fun.

This is the disconnect, though. The map basically looks the same as any other Fallout map. It's just reused Fallout 4 textures and assets.

I can make a camp, sure, and sell to other players I guess? But some level 400 player just gave me a thousand plans because I guess they were desperate to strike up a conversation with another person and that was the icebreaker. What's the point of running a coffee shop? In Fallout 4 I can make a merchant stall and sell to NPC's. Is there any meaningful difference?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I think you're being to dismissive of the map. 76 has some cool biomes.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

litany of gulps posted:

This is the disconnect, though. The map basically looks the same as any other Fallout map. It's just reused Fallout 4 textures and assets.

I can make a camp, sure, and sell to other players I guess? But some level 400 player just gave me a thousand plans because I guess they were desperate to strike up a conversation with another person and that was the icebreaker. What's the point of running a coffee shop? In Fallout 4 I can make a merchant stall and sell to NPC's. Is there any meaningful difference?

In fallout 76, your coffee shop can have a floor you remove to drop players into a pit of spikes, flamethrowers, or a deathclaw.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BwelJNlyaiA

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Rinkles posted:

I think you're being to dismissive of the map. 76 has some cool biomes.

OK, this is terse and largely uninformative, but at least addresses the question. I'm a few hours into playing 76 and have gotten the impression that it is Fallout 4 but worse. I am assuming from this Spartan response that the game does offer some innovations in terms of setting? I can't be dismissive of something I haven't seen, I can only be ignorant of it.

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

litany of gulps posted:

I'm a few hours into playing 76 and have gotten the impression that it is Fallout 4 but worse.
I believe this is accurate. A lot of the core mechanics of Fallout 76 are strictly worse than Fallout 4, and these aren't justified by any of the MMO-style trappings that were added. The primary trade-off is that while Fallout 76 seems strictly less fun than any of the other Bethesda Fallout games, it's still the only Fallout game to receive content/support from Bethesda in the past 5 years.

If you have DLC from Fallout 4 that you haven't completed, or if you haven't messed around with the surprisingly high-quality mods that people have created for it, I recommend sticking with Fallout 4 until you feel like there's nothing left for you to do in it. Only once you've run out of things to do in all the old games should you consider whether Fallout 76's huge new map is enough to keep you interested as you play a lesser version of the game.

Son of a Vondruke!
Aug 3, 2012

More than Star Citizen will ever be.

My pitch for Fallout 76 would be this. "Did you finish Fallout 4? Do you wish there was a whole other map full of things to do? Here you go!" The online aspects are pretty painless and can be ignored, other players almost never attack you.The microtransactions are all skins, base construction items, or items you can get in-game in other ways. I've got 5500+ free Bethesda bucks just sitting unused in my account because there's nothing to spend them on. The game really is just more Fallout 4 with a few little ignorable things bolted on.

Sensenmann
Sep 8, 2012

litany of gulps posted:

OK, this is terse and largely uninformative, but at least addresses the question. I'm a few hours into playing 76 and have gotten the impression that it is Fallout 4 but worse. I am assuming from this Spartan response that the game does offer some innovations in terms of setting? I can't be dismissive of something I haven't seen, I can only be ignorant of it.

The map is, by far, the most diverse of any Fallout game. A few hours of playtime means you're, most likely, still in the forest aka the starter area.

If you want to see more and fast, join a team and fast travel to team mates in other parts of the map. Stash your junk before you do this because chances of low levels dying in high level zones are pretty high.

Or do a couple of Pimal Cuts runs, it's Meat Week. There is no shame in getting eaten by high level mobs and the stuff you might get could be useful to a low level.

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019
The mistress of mystery quest line is pretty great. There are some fun questlines overall, but if you are lookin for innovative gameplay, fo76 aint it.

Sensenmann
Sep 8, 2012
New ITV.

https://fallout.bethesda.net/en/art...inkId=128259361

I'm assuming the endgame guide is "how to be a bloodied build" or something equally dumb.

Also, double XP is live.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

I’ll be the dissenting voice and say I think 76, at least in terms of world setting and writing, is the second best 3D Fallout behind New Vegas (though there’s a massive gap there)

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

The real-time player activity graph is funny since the start of Meat Week 2 days ago:

For those who don't know, Meat Week is a limited time activity with a unique public event that happens at the top of every hour. There is a new, unique reward for the activity introduced for the first time this Meat Week (plans for a legendary full-auto shotgun).

The graph seems to show that a significant number of players are literally only logging in to complete the event, rather than continue to play between events. This is a pretty accurate reflection of the current endgame of Fallout 76.

Discospawn fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Aug 20, 2021

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Lol more people playing fallout 76 than alot of games on steam.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

When the Meat Week rewards rolls you something from the rare plans (less than 2% chance) and gives you the common-rear end Shiskebab instead of the Meat-Week only Tenderiser :mad:

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Oh, it's true. You are Brock Landers!
Salad Prong
Is the shotgun good, i can’t peel myself away from melee.

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

xxEightxx posted:

Is the shotgun good, i can’t peel myself away from melee.
You can watch the full work-up of the gun here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G71d2GJKNMs

In summary, it's a good heavy gun for a heavy gunner build, but not clearly best-in-class or broken compared to what else is available if you optimize correctly. Like a lot of the game's unintuitive mechanics, it's significantly better to mod it as an energy weapon rather than using shotgun shells.

Sensenmann
Sep 8, 2012
I have it and it's not bad in terms of damage but the small mag, the dumbass spin up time and the fact that it can't drop with Explosive as secondary annoy me, so I won't be using it.

Quad with faster reload might be cool but the 50 bullets mag is really not a strong selling point for this thing.

Manwithastick
Jul 26, 2010

I hate how I can never find fusion cores when I need them- any tips?

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Manwithastick posted:

take over a workshop with a fusion core generator, turn on a nuclear power plant to power it, and just farm em

SetSliRol
Apr 30, 2021

"The power of the Marfalump idea is it's one, simple idea. It's not about Pepsi or Star Wars. It's about a character that loves both."

Manwithastick posted:

All of the Workshops connected to the power plants have a machine that produces FCs in exchange for a huge amount of power/doing the event to reactivate the plant. It's a slow rate - maybe two per hour?- but if you can get all of them on the map it'll add up.

efb

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
The cores come out once every seven minutes and it stores up to three

The real hassle is having to defend the place from attacks

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Can't be bothered to do the 'Powering Up' mission for a Power Plant? If you have the Fusion Generator plan, just build one at the Power Plant and hook it up to the Fusion Core machine, it will produce the 100 Power needed (note I think you need at least one pylon between your generator and the Core machine), stick a bunch of turrets around your Generator and settle back for an hour.

(Not sure if a Power Plant camp has enough free materials that the Fusion Generator will be free to build though)

Sensenmann
Sep 8, 2012

Manwithastick posted:

Daily OPs. Kill the boss with a Gatling Laser and you'll get 2 or so as reward. Doesn't work for other DO mobs, they'll give random ammo types when murdered with a GL.

Alternatively, if you have the materials, craft Gatling Lasers. Crafting one always gives a FC as well. One at a time, I have no idea if mass crafting 20 GLs gives you 20 FCs.

Line in the Sand give 2 FCs.

Murdering Sentry Bots gives 1. Not the one at the WS, though.

Sensenmann fucked around with this message at 12:40 on Aug 20, 2021

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Buy em cheap from other players camps. They're heavy, so people get rid of them.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Yeah, just keep an eye out and buy them when you see them for sale cheap and you should eventually be able to stock up a nice supply. I wear power armor 95% of the time and never have to worry about cores just doing that and picking up whatever ones I come across.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Manwithastick posted:

UM, I haven't played in awhile but the one public event where you guard the siren for 3 waves of scorched and sometimes scorchbeats always gives you power cores, I think it gives either 1-3 power cores with 100% charged. I forgot the name of the public event but I'm sure someone in the thread knows the name.

Was it named 'hold the line', 'line in the sand'? Something line or something sand I'm pretty sure.

Basically would always keep me full on power cores to where I would throw them away on the ground.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Aug 20, 2021

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

There's two fusion generators very close together at Mount Blair Trainyard in the Ash Heap; one behind the main rail building opposite the big shack furthest from the teleport point, one up over the bridge. I got two cores last time I was there, and almost always get one or the other (it's a good place for Mole Miner spawn challenges and Monaghan/the Uranium Mine are often already cleared)

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

litany of gulps posted:

'Fallout 4 but worse' is a fair read of the game. It doubles down on 4's base building and narrative missteps, while introduces new mechanical problems thanks to 4's thoughtless amputation of the skill system.

There is engaging writing - what could have been some of the best in the franchise, even - but that writing is tied to the original launch, where the player has zero influence on the quest and outcomes beyond a binary [INCOMPLETE/COMPLETE] in your log. There's serviceable content in Wastelanders, but it's been downhill since.

Bethesda is currently using the game as an asset farm for a remaster of Fallout 3 first and foremost, so I wouldn't hold out too much hope for a big turnaround if you're already skeptical.

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019
Once you get a buncha fuision cores, save your partials and use the perk that recharges them when you get hit with energy weapons.

E: sorry. Its a legendary perk.

ZombieCrew fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Aug 20, 2021

Sensenmann
Sep 8, 2012
Meat Week and double XP is absolutely insane. Each Prime Cut event gives me more XP then your average Rad Rumble. The one in the Bog is 4K per enemy.

Now at level 1084. Only good thing about being that high is that the XP curve is no longer linear growth, it's a flat 165K each time.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Father Wendigo posted:

Bethesda is currently using the game as an asset farm for a remaster of Fallout 3 first and foremost, so I wouldn't hold out too much hope for a big turnaround if you're already skeptical.

Is this actually based on anything

also the Wastelanders writing is way the hell ahead of the base game

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Any advice on getting a non-poo poo weapon? I got to level 25 in one night of playing with the Prime Cuts events, and I've gathered some of this legendary scrip. I wasted a legendary module on a random weapon that I shouldn't have, and I've tried buying a 25 scrip legendary weapon from the purveyor but just got junk. What's the best use of this stuff?

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019

litany of gulps posted:

Any advice on getting a non-poo poo weapon? I got to level 25 in one night of playing with the Prime Cuts events, and I've gathered some of this legendary scrip. I wasted a legendary module on a random weapon that I shouldn't have, and I've tried buying a 25 scrip legendary weapon from the purveyor but just got junk. What's the best use of this stuff?

Honestly, id wait until you are level 45 or 50. Depends on what weapon you want, but those are the max levels on weapons. Then worry about legendarys. Eventually youll get legendaries to scrip and youll be able to get modules. Or start shopping player vendors.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Player vendors are annoying as gently caress.

Whole lotta people being super sensitive about their camps right now and will just back out or move to their other camp if you turn up just to use a scrap table for 5 seconds.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Someone here could craft you a full-spec all-mods lvl25 Handmade rifles gratis that would probably carry to you lvl50 - I would offer myself but I'm away from home til the end of the month. You could try some legendary rolls on it but like folks have said, best keep them for after 50.

Thing to note, a bunch of half-decent quest reward legendary weapons are tied to your level at completion, so try and rush lvl50 ASAP, meat week and double XP is the perfect time.

Sensenmann
Sep 8, 2012
Getting to 50 is the single best advice we can give.
25-50 is the range where everything sucks, so you want to get it over with fast. ;)

Any specific build in mind? Low health? High health? Something in between? Junkie? Berserker?

I've been everything, so feel free to ask.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Whole lotta people being super sensitive about their camps right now and will just back out or move to their other camp if you turn up just to use a scrap table for 5 seconds.

What? Why are they doing that?

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
No idea, but it happened in roughly half the camps I hopped into yesterday.

Sensenmann
Sep 8, 2012

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

You're not missing much. The handful of vendors I came across had the usual truckload of Mounted <whatever> plans, a bunch of crap legendaries and, if I'm lucky, ammo.

I have to buy recall cards for Encryptid or just buy bulk junk to get rid of my caps and even though I can hold all 3 pylons and mag dump the damned Sheep in a couple of seconds, it's getting old.

Oh yeah, if you want a fun event, nuke the Ash Heap or Bog Prime Cut spots. Stable mats farming every 15 minutes. :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Sensenmann posted:

Getting to 50 is the single best advice we can give.
25-50 is the range where everything sucks, so you want to get it over with fast. ;)

Any specific build in mind? Low health? High health? Something in between? Junkie? Berserker?

I've been everything, so feel free to ask.

So far lack of ammo has been a real problem, which means I've been focusing on melee. A fire axe got me started, now I've got a spiked rocket bat. It kills most normal enemies in one or two swings. Most of my leveling has been in these Prime Cuts events though, where really all that matters is that I tag an enemy before 7 guys with automatic weapons gun everything down instantly...

Edit: Point being, I don't know if my build makes any sense. It seems to, but I've been leveling in an odd setting where I can't really see how the game normally works.

litany of gulps fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Aug 21, 2021