Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

koren
Sep 7, 2003

Youth with a Skull posted:

Was just about to say, all I see in the steam sale is the original edition for 4.99 - I'll buy it on switch if I gotta, but man I wanted that new campaign on PC with a sourceport
It won't work on a sourceport, sorry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Samopsa posted:

hot drat they just updated the old one and doubled the price

It does include the expansions.

But I'm slightly miffed I was just thinking about getting quake in my library and was hoping to get it on a deep discount like everything else. But 13$ still ain't anything to complain about. Not when they could have pulled a nintendo and tried to charge 60$ lol

e: I can't even find the quake series bundle anymore.

koren posted:

does this new one not have the wad/pak files?

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
You know what, this is great and I really like that Bethesda has gone back and updated all the old Doom and Quake releases free of charge (for current owners) and incorporated the mod support so well. Also SPLIT SCREEN DOOM AND QUAKE ON PC WITH FULL CONTROLLER SUPPORT

I'm so happy to see ND and team getting so much work :)

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Lmao what an utter shitshow

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

hahahaha oh god

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

this stream is a loving mess lmao

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
The lip sync issues are killing me

Its like we're watching a bad dub

I'm imagining it like everybody is speaking Russian and its overdubbed lmao

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Toilet Rascal
What is happening

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Smh that machinegames can figure out weapon wheel game pause for quake but couldn't do it for any of their wolf games

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

I started the new expansion.

This level select hub kinda gives me Arcane Dimensions vibes.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Uhhhhhhhh ok

I'm playing the PC version and I can't pick up health??? Wtf

Edit: and it crashed :thunk:

Youth with a Skull
Aug 16, 2004

Hit 'em with one-a dees
Grimey Drawer

koren posted:

Eh, I'm over it, the client they are shipping with this edition is pretty good.

Not even mad about the extra 5 bucks, the expansion packs + 2 new ones + Quake 64 all available from Steam is super worth it

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

New engine seems solid to me so far, the new effects, even motion blur which I usually hate, are pretty tastefully done. Turning on antialiasing and ambient occlusion and more is something I usually would hate for a retro game, but here it doesn't feel awful? And you can still turn it all off to taste, and things run smooth and look great. The motion interpolation is really nice, animations look slick and don't see any glitching.

And you can still boot the original winquake too, they didn't remove it. That's very cool.

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

You can still get a Steam key on places like Indie Gala - which I think is a legit place - for dirt cheap (1.26€)

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

The new episode looks nice to me!

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Yup this version seems very cool. I like the new models, they strike the right balance of being noticeably updated without standing out too much from the environments.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Turin Turambar posted:

The new episode looks nice to me!

Yeah I've only popped my head in but they definitely didn't half rear end it. Looks amazing.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Did they update the Bethesda launcher version? I got that for free last year and it would be cool to get this new version for free too.

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

https://twitter.com/modernvintageg/status/1428422828664184839?s=21

You love to see it :)

Two Owls
Sep 17, 2016

Yeah, count me in

Just got my arse handed to me in multiplayer. Good times!

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
Quake.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

I guess buying the "Super iD Software Pack" on Steam a decade ago pays off again. I'll probably play this far longer than Quake II RTX tho.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

So I might be fatigued from sleep training my baby but was there ever a limit on health you could pickup/recover in nightmare?

You cant recover health past 50 in nightmare in the new port. For shits and giggles, I immediately loaded up glquake to test and you definitely can pick up health all the way to 100. I have it clipped so I might upload the video showing it

Is this some new balance feature or bug or something

I'm loving crazy tired but I'm confused as hell rn

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Oh hey, that’s super rad. Great guy for the job.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Angryhead posted:

You can still get a Steam key on places like Indie Gala - which I think is a legit place - for dirt cheap (1.26€)

Good looking out!

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
https://twitter.com/LimitedRunGames/status/1428424081221820416

Two Owls
Sep 17, 2016

Yeah, count me in

Good soup! posted:

You cant recover health past 50 in nightmare in the new port

That's a Copper mod thing, have they included it or something?

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

They absolutely must have because I've gone back and forth between glquake and the new port and, yep, you can't get over 50 in nightmare lol

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Toilet Rascal
"And the winner is... Darth Diddler?"

:lmao:

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

For anyone curious about a possible secret level and a secret in the new episode, here are achievements mentioning the respective levels.

Edit: Oh, Dimension of the Past is from Quake 64? Just the secret is new then.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Aug 19, 2021

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
I’m going to buy Quake

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
So wait if I already owned Quake, is it updated with all the expansion stuff for free? And I can still just use, like, Quakespasm if I want, right?

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Mordja posted:

So wait if I already owned Quake, is it updated with all the expansion stuff for free? And I can still just use, like, Quakespasm if I want, right?

Yeah, it automatically updates and there is still an option for Quake (Original) so presumably it has the original pk3 files and poo poo in there as well

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Angryhead posted:

Yeah indiegala is legit, just got it from there, and there are a bunch of legit places with cheap prices too

https://isthereanydeal.com/game/quake/info/

Greenmangaming just raised their price so it's not reflected on the page yet

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

guess nightmare is a true challenge mode now :cool:

would have nice to know beforehand though fellas :arghfist:

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

:hmmyes:

Got the PS4 version already and downloaded the updated Steam version. New Quake episode and Quake 64 is a good enough reason to use Steam's version now.

Played E1M1 and E1M2 on PS4 and disabled gyro aiming, can't get used to it even on Doom I/II. A big list of video options and nice control binding customization. Console port is amazing so far.

Guillermus fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Aug 19, 2021

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Good soup! posted:

You cant recover health past 50 in nightmare in the new port.
"nightmare mode was easier than hard in quake, so i limited max hp to 50, and enemies won't turret in place as much, and they enter their idle state just the same as hard difficulty"

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Mierenneuker posted:

Edit: Oh, Dimension of the Past is from Quake 64? Just the secret is new then.
Dimension of the Past was a new mapset made about five years ago by Jerk Gustaffson at MachineGames to mark Quake's 25th anniversary. The Quake 64 stuff is in the Add-Ons menu, and literally lets you play the cut-down Quake 64 maps with a hilarious full-screen shader.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

come on civvie where's the video about the quake remaster, it's been like an hour

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
Wait is the extra content just dopa again?