Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
I've been wanting to make this cabbage casserole for 13 years apparently but never got around to it: https://www.justhungry.com/japanese-layered-cabbage-casserole-kyabetsu-no-kasaneni

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

angerbeet posted:

I've been wanting to make this cabbage casserole for 13 years apparently but never got around to it: https://www.justhungry.com/japanese-layered-cabbage-casserole-kyabetsu-no-kasaneni

That looks great. I’m wondering how to make it vegetarian.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
You could probably replace the meat with (very small dice) flavorful mushrooms and the stock with veg stock and whatever egg replace for the egg if not ovo.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

angerbeet posted:

You could probably replace the meat with (very small dice) flavorful mushrooms and the stock with veg stock and whatever egg replace for the egg if not ovo.

Thanks! Vegetarian not vegan would suffice.

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib

SubG posted:

You're describing gołąbkis, if you want to look up recipes to try to chase the version you remember. They're a quintessentially Polish dish so pretty much any source for Polish recipes will have a recipe for gołąbkis, but they're one of those things where everybody's matka/babcia has their own special version. Or at least it was that way in mid-20th Century communities of Polish immigrants in the US.

Neat. Yeah, she was a great cook, but basically everything was in her head, and she measured with like... Coffee cups or whatever was handy. Recipe? Nope!

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Arkhamina posted:

Neat. Yeah, she was a great cook, but basically everything was in her head, and she measured with like... Coffee cups or whatever was handy. Recipe? Nope!

Here's mine if it helps.

Ingredients

· 2 tablespoons Olive Oil #1
· 2 teaspoons mince Garlic #1
· 28 ounces Crushed Tomatoes, Canned
· 8 ounces Tomato Sauce
· 14 ½ ounces Diced Tomatoes, Canned
· ⅛ teaspoons Red Pepper Flakes
· 2 tablespoons White Wine Vinegar
· 1 tablespoon Sugar
· ¼ teaspoons Salt #1
· ¼ teaspoons Black Pepper #1
· 2 tablespoons Olive oil #2
· 1 cup dice Onion, Yellow
· 2 teaspoons mince Garlic, minced #2
· 2 tablespoons Tomato Paste
· 2 tablespoons Red Wine
· 2 tablespoons chop Parsley, Fresh
· 1 pound Ground Beef
· 1 pound Ground Pork
· 1 ½ cups cook White Rice, Long-Grain
· ¼ teaspoons Salt #2
· ¼ teaspoons Black Pepper #2
· 2 whole Cabbage
· 2 tablespoons Olive oil #3

1. Heat olive oil #1 in large sauce pan over medium high heat. Add garlic #1 and sauté for 1 minute.
2. Stir in crushed tomatoes, tomato sauce, diced tomatoes and cook for 5 minutes.
3. Stir in red pepper, white wine vinegar, and sugar. Simmer a few minutes until slightly thickened.
4. Season with salt #1 and pepper #1. Remove from heat and set aside.
5. Heat olive oil #2 in medium skillet. Sauté onions and minced garlic until soft.
6. Stir in tomato paste, red wine, parsley and 0.5 cups prepared sauce.
7. Remove from heat.
8. In a large bowl, combine meats (raw), onion and tomato mixture, and cooked rice. Season with salt #2 and pepper #2 and set aside.
9. Boil a large pot of salted water over high heat.
10. Remove cores and outer damaged leaves of cabbage. (Save outer leaves) Remove remaining leaves carefully.
11. Blanch leaves for 5 minutes.
12. Drain leaves and run under cold water.
13. Prepare baking pan by lining with reserved outer leaves.
14. Lay out blanched leaves and place about 0.5 cup filling in each, rolling up burrito style.
15. Place seam side down in baking pan.
16. Pour remaining sauce over rolls and fold in the cabbage leaf "blanket".
17. Drizzle with olive oil #3.
18. Bake at 350 for 1 hour or until meat is cooked through (may need to check internal temperature with meat thermometer).

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib
Oh that looks awesome, thanks! Will definitely try it.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
I just ate some really spicy ghost pepper wings, and my bottom lip swelled up. Never happened before.

What I'm saying is that these were good wings.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Mr. Wiggles posted:

I just ate some really spicy ghost pepper wings, and my bottom lip swelled up. Never happened before.

What I'm saying is that these were good wings.

Are you sure your tearing up and bottom lip stuff weren't you just emotionally blubbering about having an indescribably good wing

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

signalnoise posted:

Are you sure your tearing up and bottom lip stuff weren't you just emotionally blubbering about having an indescribably good wing

That's absolutely possible. But since my lip is still swollen this morning, the emotional overwhelming may have been more severe than I thought.

Same Great Paste
Jan 14, 2006

Dear goons please look at my homemade blue and yellow tortilla chips.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Nice

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Gotta say I don't find that at all appealing but it's cool anyways

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Same Great Paste posted:

Dear goons please look at my homemade blue and yellow tortilla chips.

those are awesome. was it basically same process for two corns and then mix ropes, or?

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Scientastic posted:

This made me a bit sad. I live in London/Surrey (depending on who you talk to), and we barbecue all the time in summer: no firefighters, only tinder and twigs that I get the kids to gather.

I should hope not or you're having a very bad day!

I am a London-doer and bbq fairly regularly, granted I'm not veggie. Does take a bit of fortitude sometimes, is all. And yes, getting a chimney starter changed my life.

Same Great Paste
Jan 14, 2006

Chard posted:

those are awesome. was it basically same process for two corns and then mix ropes, or?

Thank you!

The first few I tried doing strict bi-color like a black and white cookie, and those didn't quite work. But the "gently caress it, marbled" ones in the pic were the exact process and exactly as simple as you have guessed. I'm not sure if the failures were just luck or if bigger solid areas are harder somehow.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

If I ever meet J. Kenji-Lopez, I will fight him. I drunkenly watched his video on french bread pizza, and made some today. It was good. Really good. I can feel myself getting fatter right now, and I already want to make it again.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

My whole life I've always approached steak buying by grabbing Ribeye, Tbone, NY strip sirloin etc. whenever it's on sale. I have always just sort of overlooked skirt steak. Picked one up this week and made fajitas with it since it was on sale, and I feel like a fool. This might be like, my favorite cut of steak it's loving amazing. The worst part is the second I took a bite a lightbulb went off like "ohhhhhh this is what I should have been using for fajitas for the last 15 years. This is fajita steak." Why did I never look this up. Dumbass veni.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Shooting Blanks posted:

If I ever meet J. Kenji-Lopez, I will fight him. I drunkenly watched his video on french bread pizza, and made some today. It was good. Really good. I can feel myself getting fatter right now, and I already want to make it again.

wait'll you try this one: https://www.seriouseats.com/foolproof-pan-pizza-recipe

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

veni veni veni posted:

My whole life I've always approached steak buying by grabbing Ribeye, Tbone, NY strip sirloin etc. whenever it's on sale. I have always just sort of overlooked skirt steak. Picked one up this week and made fajitas with it since it was on sale, and I feel like a fool. This might be like, my favorite cut of steak it's loving amazing. The worst part is the second I took a bite a lightbulb went off like "ohhhhhh this is what I should have been using for fajitas for the last 15 years. This is fajita steak." Why did I never look this up. Dumbass veni.

skirt steak is legit more expensive per pound at my local grocery store than bone-in "luxury" cuts and boy am i mad lol

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Eat This Glob posted:

skirt steak is legit more expensive per pound at my local grocery store than bone-in "luxury" cuts and boy am i mad lol

gently caress, remember when oxtail was affordable?

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Mister Facetious posted:

gently caress, remember when oxtail was affordable?

yup. :(

edit: same goes for short ribs and rounds of marrow bones

Eat This Glob fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Aug 22, 2021

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Eat This Glob posted:

yup. :(

edit: same goes for rounds of marrow bones

Keep your voice down! My asian mart still has these for a good price!

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I've never experienced the alleged goodness of Oxtail. My only experience with it was buying it once in a while for 50 cents a pound, so my half Indonesian ex wife could make this horrible soup. Not that I am saying Oxtail soup is inherently horrible, but that's the only time I've had it and it was like eating a giant rubbery slice of a finger with water logged skin. I'm sure it's good in the hands of a better cook.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
They're delicious if you cook them long enough but yeah, if you don't cook it right oxtail is up there with the nastiest things you can eat. And honestly even when they're cooked right they're kinda a pain in the rear end to eat. I always chomp down on a bone and stop eating cause it makes me freak out that I'm gonna do it again.

I also think skirt steak is overrated but we also have 15 of them in the freezer right now so I'm probably wrong out of sheer burnout.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

I knew this guy who, if you invited him to a party, would come with a massive hangar steak and pan-sear it in your kitchen

Same guy almost always made flaming cocktails

Kinda dangerous guest but drat that poo poo was tasty

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

Mister Facetious posted:

Keep your voice down! My asian mart still has these for a good price!

sorry, ill try and delete it

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Remember when meat in general was affordable? also housing.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

My mother gave me a half gallon bag of dried mint leaves. Gonna add a handful to this ginger beer recipe during the steeping and see how it turns out.

https://toriavey.com/toris-kitchen/the-old-fashioned-way-homemade-ginger-beer/

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
My mother has mint growing in her garden, as it does, and a friend of hers from church takes some to lovingly dry and give to a Syrian refugee family the church sponsored into Canada.

The Syrian family refers to her as "the mint woman" as I'm sure whatever available spaces in their home are packed full of mint leaves by this point.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

I love it when good intentions get weird

mystes
May 31, 2006

everyone knows that the road to hell is paved with good mintentions

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

mystes posted:

everyone knows that the road to hell is paved with good mintentions

I guess I was wrong, but I always thought that was from Shakespearmint

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

angerbeet posted:

My mother has mint growing in her garden, as it does, and a friend of hers from church takes some to lovingly dry and give to a Syrian refugee family the church sponsored into Canada.

The Syrian family refers to her as "the mint woman" as I'm sure whatever available spaces in their home are packed full of mint leaves by this point.

This leaves me feeling warm inside

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
There's all sorts of ways to experimint with a versatile ingredient like that

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

angerbeet posted:

I wish someone wanted my garden full of mint, even if they were only being overly polite about taking it.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

fizzymercury posted:

I wish someone wanted my garden full of mint, even if they were only being overly polite about taking it.

"Here, please, take as much as you want."

"O-okay, which plants here are the mint--?"

"IT'S ALL THE MINT, LADY, THE WHOLE YARD IS THE FUCKEN MINT NOW. IT WON."

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

https://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/culture/2021/08/141_314399.html

November 22 is Kimchi Day.

Edit:

“The resolution also specified that South Korea is "the country of origin of kimchi," amid continued attempts by some Chinese media claiming the Korean dish is Chinese, a move that has sparked strong criticism as many people regard it as Korea's soul food and often link it to the nation's identity.”

Oof that’s gonna start a war

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Aug 25, 2021

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Guildenstern Mother posted:

There's all sorts of ways to experimint with a versatile ingredient like that

Spear me these mint puns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Steve Yun posted:

https://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/culture/2021/08/141_314399.html

November 22 is Kimchi Day.

Edit:

“The resolution also specified that South Korea is "the country of origin of kimchi," amid continued attempts by some Chinese media claiming the Korean dish is Chinese, a move that has sparked strong criticism as many people regard it as Korea's soul food and often link it to the nation's identity.”

Oof that’s gonna start a war

Finally, California passing some real laws

Also I never hate this thread more than when it’s full of puns. I realize I am only encouraging the puns by stating this. I regret nothing.

Non-pun mint-related content: the home ec teacher at school modeled her students’ first recipe today: “dirt pudding” with chocolate pudding, crushed cookies, a gummy worm, and a mint leaf “sprout” She likes me so I get to eat her samples sometimes, it was very cute and good