Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

gathering of the juggalos attendance seems low on social media, it’s only thursday though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

Bruce Hussein Daddy posted:

They are just trying to hold off an armed riot, because if they said there was going to be no in-person school this year there literally would be one.

I'm not exaggerating. Pickens county courthouse was the last place I saw an honest to god klan rally (~2002)

i'm sorry what

they just accepted people threatening violence instead of putting the threat down by any means necessary?

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.
two fellow teachers and I freaked out in the parking lot after work today; sucks to freak out but we felt relieved that someone else actually seemed to be paying attention.

we have had fully virtual remote PD (professional development) meetings all week but we’re supposed to see (masked) kids on Monday. why is it safer to meet each other virtually but not the children? Jfc. oh and there is brand new curriculum to “make up for lost time” so we can’t use many previous lessons from years prior lol. group work is a mandatory part of the curriculum. I will have six units when I normally teach four. tbh a lot of it sounds great, but for a year that isn’t going to be full of infectious disease outbreaks.

anyway I sold the other teachers both on getting KN95s and maybe an air purifier/cleaner of some kind, so that’s a win. We are talking about quitting.

I’m not sure where to draw my line for quitting tbh. should probably figure that out. Pretty much every teacher I know has it baked in to make the best of a bad situation; we are born suckers for more work.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

loving owned

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Google Butt posted:

If you have the money there's no harm in buying a variety of different ones and find what work for you. A full face will always be the safest way to go if you're willing to rock it.

They're a lot more expensive, aren't they? It's not so much about caring what I look like in public so much as the cost. Otherwise yeah, I'd go full face.
But yeah, still a bit confused,
1. So uh, is my seal good then or no?
2. Speaking of cheap other options. May order this https://www.airgas.com/product/Safety-Products/Respiratory-Protection/APR-Masks%2C-Cartridges-%26-Filters/p/3MR7503 I assume that's the one from the old thread's OP flowchart and that this is the proper filter to keep me safe from the plague.

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

Captain Magic posted:

two fellow teachers and I freaked out in the parking lot after work today; sucks to freak out but we felt relieved that someone else actually seemed to be paying attention.

we have had fully virtual remote PD (professional development) meetings all week but we’re supposed to see (masked) kids on Monday. why is it safer to meet each other virtually but not the children? Jfc. oh and there is brand new curriculum to “make up for lost time” so we can’t use many previous lessons from years prior lol. group work is a mandatory part of the curriculum. I will have six units when I normally teach four. tbh a lot of it sounds great, but for a year that isn’t going to be full of infectious disease outbreaks.

anyway I sold the other teachers both on getting KN95s and maybe an air purifier/cleaner of some kind, so that’s a win. We are talking about quitting.

I’m not sure where to draw my line for quitting tbh. should probably figure that out. Pretty much every teacher I know has it baked in to make the best of a bad situation; we are born suckers for more work.

if you are already considering quitting you might as well try organizing some kind of collective action if your other teachers feel similarly

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable

FizFashizzle posted:

Zinc competitively bonds with b12 and too much can cause neuropathy.

This is bullshit fake news trying to keep all of you away from the real cures of vitamins minerals and essential oils.

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

I testify that there is none worthy of worship except God and I testify that Muhammad is the Messenger of God

Biowarfare posted:

i'm sorry what

they just accepted people threatening violence instead of putting the threat down by any means necessary?

Guess which side Pickens County Sheriff Department would take? Oh you mean from the state level? I'll send Henry McMaster an email. Oh national? I'm sure Joe will send them a polite letter to behave.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Captain Magic posted:

oh and there is brand new curriculum to “make up for lost time” so we can’t use many previous lessons from years prior lol.

this plus rolling outages are going to make you and your students' lives very hard. I am sorry

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

They're a lot more expensive, aren't they? It's not so much about caring what I look like in public so much as the cost. Otherwise yeah, I'd go full face.
2. Speaking of cheap other options. May order this https://www.airgas.com/product/Safety-Products/Respiratory-Protection/APR-Masks%2C-Cartridges-%26-Filters/p/3MR7503 I assume that's the one from the old thread's OP flowchart and that this is the proper filter to keep me safe from the plague.

There are quite a few ff options, with speech diaphragms as well. I'll let the others chime in with personal experience on those, though.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Tzen posted:

based off your previous posts it seems to lift off when you do the positive seal check? that will happen if you're blowing it hard enough
if you breathe out normally and it doesn't pop off, then your seal should be fine.

Breathe out normally while doing the seal check/covering the exhalation valve? Or breathe out normally as in 'my hands at my side, nothing covered (besides my face obvs) and just breathing.
Because, yeah, I'm A-OK insofar as I can tell on the latter.

Oh also what's a good air purifier?

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

gently caress my arm hurts

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

if you're getting air seepage around your nose during REGULAR BREATHING, play with the straps probably loosening the neck one and tightening or re-seating the top one.

or have a spouse/partner help you start from scratch, they can tighten them for you while you hold the mask in a comfortable position or vice versa.

no air should escape during normal breathing with your hands not near your face. during seal tests the mask will inflate/constrict briefly, and then break when the pressure exceeds the seal around your face parts.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.

inferis posted:

if you are already considering quitting you might as well try organizing some kind of collective action if your other teachers feel similarly

You are correct; one reason I am not quitting is because I’m in a pretty good union. Honestly the president has been suspiciously silent; I’ve been so worked up with getting class ready I haven’t quite noticed. I should find out wtf they’re doing.

I think a lot of people are thinking the mask mandate our SD has will save us. It is good but it is not enough.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
it's going to suck when fall and winter test scores don't improve and everyone is going to look for someone to blame now

(teachers, it will be teachers)

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

mdemone posted:

man this is taking me back to this thread 5 months ago

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

Captain Magic posted:

You are correct; one reason I am not quitting is because I’m in a pretty good union. Honestly the president has been suspiciously silent; I’ve been so worked up with getting class ready I haven’t quite noticed. I should find out wtf they’re doing.

I think a lot of people are thinking the mask mandate our SD has will save us. It is good but it is not enough.

I mean kids and teachers are getting loving owned within days of classes starting. Personally if I had the security to just walk away, I would (I don't and I'm not a teacher tho)

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Nobody will protect you but yourself

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
I feel like people should be maybe more worried, about the hospital system collapsing

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

External Organs posted:

My intubated breakthrough patient got off the vent today. Long way to go but a good sign. :gbsmith:

:toot:

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Google Butt posted:

Nobody will protect you but yourself

My friends are getting mad at me that I won't be attending a birthday party some unvaxxed shithead fresh from Florida will be at.

They all said they'd go if the person takes a test. No response from that person if they'll actually take a test though

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Gunshow Poophole posted:

if you're getting air seepage around your nose during REGULAR BREATHING, play with the straps probably loosening the neck one and tightening or re-seating the top one.

or have a spouse/partner help you start from scratch, they can tighten them for you while you hold the mask in a comfortable position or vice versa.

no air should escape during normal breathing with your hands not near your face. during seal tests the mask will inflate/constrict briefly, and then break when the pressure exceeds the seal around your face parts.

Thank you! I seem to be good then! I may still order that 3M I linked above (was I right on the filters?) though when I have some spare dough, because maybe it's more comfy, and it looks nice.
And sadly, I am a single goon and while I do have friends, like gently caress am I letting a friend into my home right now to get up in my grill and gently caress with my mask. But yeah. Part of why I've been turning to goons, normally I do have a fairly good IRL support network but besides the circumstances of this problem beyond beyond the experience of my friends and family, there's obviously the issue of 'no you can't come inside.'

You're all making me feel a bit less antsy though, so if you need a reason to feel a bit less poo poo today, take some solace in having helped a fellow Goon freak out marginally less about their own personal safety.

I am, of course, still apopleptic over Massacre of the Innocents 2: Electric Boogaloo.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Casey Finnigan posted:

I feel like people should be maybe more worried, about the hospital system collapsing

The vast majority of the country has no idea that this is happening lol

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

wow, armand hammer at 1pm is disrespectful as hell. they deserve top billing; literally the two best rappers on the planet.

please stay safe woods and ELUCID.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Casey Finnigan posted:

Eh, it's no biggie. I mean, it's not like most of the things you go to the hospital for are stuff that absolutely can't wait. They'll just reschedule for when the pandemic is over.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

Thank you! I seem to be good then! I may still order that 3M I linked above (was I right on the filters?) though when I have some spare dough, because maybe it's more comfy, and it looks nice.
And sadly, I am a single goon and while I do have friends, like gently caress am I letting a friend into my home right now to get up in my grill and gently caress with my mask. But yeah. Part of why I've been turning to goons, normally I do have a fairly good IRL support network but besides the circumstances of this problem beyond beyond the experience of my friends and family, there's obviously the issue of 'no you can't come inside.'

You're all making me feel a bit less antsy though, so if you need a reason to feel a bit less poo poo today, take some solace in having helped a fellow Goon freak out marginally less about their own personal safety.

I am, of course, still apopleptic over Massacre of the Innocents 2: Electric Boogaloo.

From our dear Rubby:

Most people find PPE that is actually responsive to a global pandemic of an airborne respiratory virus incredibly unsettling. We have, as a population, become complacent that What Was is what always Will Be and the suggestion that life has changed and that change is required of us in order to meet the challenges of the day is met with unrelenting cognitive stress. Easier to narrow the locus of perception to that which allows one to continue as if the status quo has not changed. By choosing to don an elastomeric respirator one is choosing to embody Death in the eyes of those people. Not in the micro, the individual concept of lives lost but in the macro, the collective Death of the mind, the Death of comfort, the Death of ignorance. The one who is willing to stare unblinkingly in the abyss and whisper "Not Today". To wear an elastomeric respirator in public is an aggressive, unyielding reminder that this is Not Normal and that they are Not Safe; that they had a choice -- and in the final accounting... they chose wrong.

skewetoo
Mar 30, 2003

mdemone posted:

Lol
My arm hurt so much from moderna I got angry

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Google Butt posted:

Personally if I had the security to just walk away, I would (I don't and I'm not a teacher tho)

reading security Twitter where people are constantly like, hey all, going to take a bit off between jobs to recharge! 💙💚💛 is particularly brain breaking.

imagining no income and losing employer-supplemented insurance for months at a time as something spiritually fulfilling? nope sorry even the possibility is god drat terrifying

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Google Butt posted:

From our dear Rubby:

Most people find PPE that is actually responsive to a global pandemic of an airborne respiratory virus incredibly unsettling. We have, as a population, become complacent that What Was is what always Will Be and the suggestion that life has changed and that change is required of us in order to meet the challenges of the day is met with unrelenting cognitive stress. Easier to narrow the locus of perception to that which allows one to continue as if the status quo has not changed. By choosing to don an elastomeric respirator one is choosing to embody Death in the eyes of those people. Not in the micro, the individual concept of lives lost but in the macro, the collective Death of the mind, the Death of comfort, the Death of ignorance. The one who is willing to stare unblinkingly in the abyss and whisper "Not Today". To wear an elastomeric respirator in public is an aggressive, unyielding reminder that this is Not Normal and that they are Not Safe; that they had a choice -- and in the final accounting... they chose wrong.

Eh, I've honestly not even gotten any looks. The only reaction I've had was just one lady who was out walking her adorable dog asking me where I got it and how much I paid for it.

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

Breathe out normally while doing the seal check/covering the exhalation valve? Or breathe out normally as in 'my hands at my side, nothing covered (besides my face obvs) and just breathing.
Because, yeah, I'm A-OK insofar as I can tell on the latter.

Oh also what's a good air purifier?
yeah just like in the video i posted, cover the exhaust, breathe out normally, it should bulge but not pop off or leak air

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

mdemone posted:

my husband bitched for a week that his arm hurt hella bad from pfizer. Nothing else for him.

I on the other hand got extreme light headedness for like a week

skewetoo
Mar 30, 2003

The respirators manifesto

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Gunshow Poophole posted:

yeah all this

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Thoguh Find a PNG Celebrating Off The Ventilator Posts Challenge

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013

Stevie Lee posted:

wow, armand hammer at 1pm is disrespectful as hell. they deserve top billing; literally the two best rappers on the planet.

please stay safe woods and ELUCID.

I agree, Phoebe Bridgers is tuneless dogshit. Also, cancel these large fests please.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

skewetoo posted:

The respirators manifesto

Yeah actually need a shirt with only trust your respirator reaper with the manifesto in one

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Respirator Reaper

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Google Butt posted:

The vast majority of the country has no idea that this is happening lol
lol i brought up hospital numbers to a friend who has been taking covid seriously and even they were shocked lmaooo

Mr. Pizza
Oct 5, 2009

Casey Finnigan posted:

the what

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Tzen posted:

yeah just like in the video i posted, cover the exhaust, breathe out normally, it should bulge but not pop off or leak air

I seem to get that. Although if I keep exhaling it does eventually bulge enough to pop off the face/leak.