Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

CDC please stop just please

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

listen here kids management is worried about meeting their learning quotas so we need a 10% increase on learning units by the end of the quarter

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Bruce Hussein Daddy posted:

They are just trying to hold off an armed riot, because if they said there was going to be no in-person school this year there literally would be one.

I'm not exaggerating. Pickens county courthouse was the last place I saw an honest to god klan rally (~2002)

https://www.wyff4.com/article/pickens-county-parents-protest-start-petition-against-districts-virtual-learning-decision/37317560

Literal slack-jawed yokel, lmfao

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Casey Finnigan posted:

I need to practice and schedule a comptia certification test and search for a job but all I do is sit and look at the news and wonder wtf

Lol yeah

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
one thing that keeps bothering me about the impending wave of dead kids is that they don't die very often. kids are pretty rugged compared to adults and especially compared to the old people that covid normally kills. 650k deaths feels like a lot to me, but apparently not to the rest of the country and i think part of the reason why is that 580k of those deaths were people over 50, and it isn't so big in comparison to how many old people die normally from everything else (4,785k deaths, so only 10% more than usual great work everyone).

0-17 year olds only have 53k deaths total, and last year covid only killed 361, which is only 0.6%.

As you get younger you're way less likely to die from stuff.

for kids aged 1-4 there were only ~2,800 deaths total over the past 10 years (280 per year)

from 5-14 there were about 100k deaths total over the past 10 years (10k per year)

pandemic diseases famously kill kids. the fact that this one didn't is a weird fluke and there is no reason at all for it to remain that way forever as we just live with a mutating evolving endemic virus. if this virus kills basically ANY kids, it is going to be extremely noticeable.

Worklurker
Jan 2, 2014

Morbus posted:

jetz0r posted about it earlier, but Marek's disease is a good example of what can happen when a highly contagious virus encounters a vaccine that prevents serious illness, but does not neutralize the virus fast or well enough to stop infection & transmission.

"Highly virulent strains have been selected to the point that any chicken that is unvaccinated will die if infected."

meet girls at the store
Nov 4, 2002

Casey Finnigan posted:

just heard a story on the news about an outbreak of legionnaire's disease that infected 9 people lol

this reminds me that one of the showers in my house hasn’t been turned on since like March 2020, guess I should probably go do that with the window open and a respirator on

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Morbus posted:

jetz0r posted about it earlier, but Marek's disease is a good example of what can happen when a highly contagious virus encounters a vaccine that prevents serious illness, but does not neutralize the virus fast or well enough to stop infection & transmission.

god damnit why did you tell me about this

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/thehill/status/1428480150149206016?s=20

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
another breakthrough datapoint:

https://blog.swedish.org/swedish-bl...0fFFilwLybawLpA

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Durf
Aug 16, 2017

Casey Finnigan posted:

just heard a story on the news about an outbreak of legionnaire's disease that infected 9 people lol

apparently this is a legit concern with office spaces abandoned over covid

fun little wrinkle on top of everything else

in toronto landlords are screaming at banks to come back to their downtown petri dishes and they were like lol no

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

there's a hospital in florida offering 30k sign on bonuses for PACU rns

i think my girlfriend is gonna dump me lol

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Thesaurus posted:

how do you get the anonymous vax at cvs, for a third shot? Don't they ask you for an ID, SSN, or do anything to confirm identity?

no, they don't ask anything. they'll give you a form to fill out that asks for ID # and you can just write you don't have one and they don't care

tenderjerk
Nov 6, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 370 days!
Oh wow, surely the governor is doing something, anything abou-
https://twitter.com/ashtonpittman/status/1428469692281368585?s=19

Stoop Kid
Jan 17, 2007

Afraid to leave his stoop.

thankfully we can get our treatments at libraries now, hospitals are for loving suckers

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

FizFashizzle posted:

legit :aaa:

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

???????

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
Ever since long COVID became a clear thing I have felt like the focus on deaths is part of the general insanity of our response. It's partly my own fears and hang-ups, and also my faith in vaccines and other treatments that eventually the odds of dying from COVID for young, reasonably healthy, people will become genuinely comparable to 'it's just the flu, bro' but what's scared me is the prospect of having to live out the rest of my days winded from getting out of bed, or brain damaged (make your own jokes here.)

Statistically speaking, yeah, it does seem weird but it does seem like in the grand scheme of things, not that many kids are going to die from this madness before the schools close again. It is still far more children than any sane person should be okay with, and Biden and the others who are enabling this are guilty of a crime so monstrous it defies our ability to properly fathom, let alone punish, but yeah. What's going to be the real loving nightmare disaster and something that goes unreported is how many of these poor kids are going to be left with lifelong physical and/or mental impairments. How many of these kids are going to feel that their classmates who died were the lucky ones.

AppleNippleBOB
May 13, 2007

Casey Finnigan posted:

I need to practice and schedule a comptia certification test and search for a job but all I do is sit and look at the news and wonder wtf

lol, :same:

Dixon Chisholm
Jan 2, 2020

Gunshow Poophole posted:

i read every single post in this thread as a rolling act of mortification for the sin of being alive and having ACE2 receptors in my alveolar epithelia

what's the issue eh

Sorrowful be the heart, penitent one.

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

he means *important* people

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
https://www.dph.illinois.gov/covid19/vaccination-zip-code

this is a cool map. about what you expect with rural/suburban divide, then the urban divide you also expect to see (but no one is allowed to admonish anyone for)

im pretty sure my school district is in the best vaccinated place in the state, and my zip code is one of the best in the state as well that isn't some tiny rural fluke. woop woop

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

FizFashizzle posted:

I wonder how long you have to stay on

AppleNippleBOB
May 13, 2007

lol, this loving monster

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

Ever since long COVID became a clear thing I have felt like the focus on deaths is part of the general insanity of our response. It's partly my own fears and hang-ups, and also my faith in vaccines and other treatments that eventually the odds of dying from COVID for young, reasonably healthy, people will become genuinely comparable to 'it's just the flu, bro' but what's scared me is the prospect of having to live out the rest of my days winded from getting out of bed, or brain damaged (make your own jokes here.)

no this is definitely a thing that's driving a lot of concerned parents specifically

i tend to focus on the deaths too, because the pediatric flu to covid deaths last year is just a jaw dropping comparison

but there is a palpable fear in the PTA crew that, frankly, other kids are going to make my kid stupid

that's probably the least generous way to put it, but that fear is very, extremely real this semester

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
should be getting shot number 3 tomorrow. going to the same place that said "cool, whatever" when I got my shots early for saying I had 2 medical conditions.

doing my part to prevent these things from going bad

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

AppleNippleBOB posted:

lol, this loving monster

https://twitter.com/MSNBC/status/1428397501770575876?s=20

https://twitter.com/Mediaite/status/1428027111609151499?s=20

tenderjerk
Nov 6, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 370 days!

this motherfucker, goddamn

read more cute tweets with olivia rodrigo, rear end in a top hat

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I watched part of the Dayton evening news tonight and it was covering how workers at the children's hospital are protesting, it was like three nurses back to back "I don't need a shot, I've been certified as having beat COVID and have the antibodies!"

Then I decided to watch an episode of Masters of the Universe instead

Jay-V
Nov 8, 2009

lol drat he's right

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Just read The Masque of the Red Death and lol.

Edgar Allen Poe hisself posted:

The red death had long devastated the country. No pestilence had ever been so fatal, or so hideous. Blood was its Avatar and its seal -- the madness and the horror of blood. There were sharp pains, and sudden dizziness, and then profuse bleeding at the pores, with dissolution. The scarlet stains upon the body and especially upon the face of the victim, were the pest ban which shut him out from the aid and from the sympathy of his fellow-men. And the whole seizure, progress, and termination of the disease, were incidents of half an hour.

But Prince Prospero was happy and dauntless and sagacious. When his dominions were half depopulated, he summoned to his presence a thousand hale and light-hearted friends from among the knights and dames of his court, and with these retired to the deep seclusion of one of his crenellated abbeys. This was an extensive and magnificent structure, the creation of the prince's own eccentric yet august taste. A strong and lofty wall girdled it in. This wall had gates of iron. The courtiers, having entered, brought furnaces and massy hammers and welded the bolts.

They resolved to leave means neither of ingress nor egress to the sudden impulses of despair or of frenzy from within. The abbey was amply provisioned. With such precautions the courtiers might bid defiance to contagion. The external world could take care of itself. In the meantime it was folly to grieve or to think. The prince had provided all the appliances of pleasure. There were buffoons, there were improvisatori, there were ballet-dancers, there were musicians, there was Beauty, there was wine. All these and security were within. Without was the "Red Death."

skewetoo
Mar 30, 2003

Jay-V posted:

lol drat he's right

Everytime I see a new pic of Rogan he looks more hosed up. I wonder what he's on. I bet it's funny

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Casey Finnigan posted:

It always happens when buildings try to save money when they’re not being used by lowering their water heater temperature to save money, then it’s at a temp where bacteria can thrive

of all places, a CDC building that was closed last year had legionnaires because of this

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/08/08/health/cdc-legionnaires-coronavirus.html

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Aug 19, 2021

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

worst person you know makes a good point

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Too long for me to read

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

skewetoo posted:

Everytime I see a new pic of Rogan he looks more hosed up. I wonder what he's on. I bet it's funny

Hgh

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

Iron Crowned posted:

I watched part of the Dayton evening news tonight and it was covering how workers at the children's hospital are protesting, it was like three nurses back to back "I don't need a shot, I've been certified as having beat COVID and have the antibodies!"

Then I decided to watch an episode of Masters of the Universe instead

That was loving infuriating to watch.

Edit: channel 7 not Masters of the Universe

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

it’s not working lamo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Hate to say it, but Joe Rogan is right