Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Who's looking forward to buying some hyper horse armor dlc pretending to be a new version of Skyrim?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Wait, what? Isn’t it a free upgrade?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Fruits of the sea posted:

Wait, what? Isn’t it a free upgrade?

Of course not.
Todd's cocaine bucket needs a refill.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

https://twitter.com/Nibellion/status/1428464970602328066?s=19

Jack Trades posted:

Of course not.
Todd's cocaine bucket needs a refill.

So what do you suppose they mean by "free" here then?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

ThaumPenguin posted:

https://twitter.com/Nibellion/status/1428464970602328066?s=19

So what do you suppose they mean by "free" here then?

https://twitter.com/wario64/status/1428469450647379969?s=21

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

I have been turned into a fine mist

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Wow. High-res boxart. I'm sold...

StarBegotten
Mar 23, 2016

So when they say 'next gen enhancements' for PS5 and Xbox Series X/S I take it they just mean higher framerates and up to 4k resolution?

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?

StarBegotten posted:

So when they say 'next gen enhancements' for PS5 and Xbox Series X/S I take it they just mean higher framerates and up to 4k resolution?

"Up to" is going to be doing a lot of work in the promotion adverts I can already tell.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012
For the Special Edition Bethesda just took their old textures and upscaled them to 1k/2k sizes. So I would not be surprised if they did that again and claim 4k resolution.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I'm 100% sure no console render any game at 4K right now. At best its "4K" checkerboard rendering.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

it is said that the sixth elder scroll shall not be opened until skyrim has been released one hundred times

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

It's genuinely absurd that I played Skyrim as a teenager and likely won't see a sequel until I'm in my thirties.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

ThaumPenguin posted:

It's genuinely absurd that I played Skyrim as a teenager and likely won't see a sequel until I'm in my thirties.

That's optimistic of you.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

ThaumPenguin posted:

Now imagine how old you'll be when Half Life 3 gets released

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

To summarize, there’s two things happening here:

The “next-Gen” update is coming and is free for folks who own SE.

The “anniversary edition”, which includes the next-gen patch and like 500 chunks of mini DLC/CC stuff is the paid product. If you own SE then you can buy this at a discount to upgrade your version.

So if you don’t care about the CC poo poo, the next-gen update is still free if you own the Special Edition.

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

Welp, since COVID is bad again I'm gonna move on from Morrowind and figure out Oblivion. I used Morrowind++ and it was easy to follow - is there a similar modding guide for Oblivion?

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

jfc bethesda let go of that game

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

dead gay comedy forums posted:

jfc bethesda let go of that game
I mean hey, Todd is thinking about starting Elder Scrolls VI, so we're making progress.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
Maybe if it's going to be a few years before the next elder scrolls, they should be offering some new dlc for skyrim in the mean time? That is what would actually get me to buy it again.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Doc Fission posted:

Welp, since COVID is bad again I'm gonna move on from Morrowind and figure out Oblivion. I used Morrowind++ and it was easy to follow - is there a similar modding guide for Oblivion?

no, oblivion modding documentation is very obscure stuff. fortunately, about 95% of oblivion mods can just be tossed together and they'll just work as long as their changes don't overlap much, and there are guides for installing the most problematic piece, FCOM, which is a merged version of the big megamods. if you only want to use one or two of the megamods then that's even easier. otherwise just browse the nexus and download the stuff that looks cool - there are also various mod lists around the internet that generally mention the popular and good mods, but there are many mods not on those lists also worth considering.

however, and this is a big however, there are far more technical issues to solve for any oblivion installation that isn't vanilla. it's a much less stable version of gamebryo wedded to some weird assumptions about your computer not being much stronger than an xbox 360, which was safe to assume at release but has gotten progressively less so every year since. i don't feel like i could sum them all up in a post very easily, but if you run into any issues post here and i can probably help

Jazerus fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Aug 20, 2021

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?
I just remember one of the steps of Oblivion modding described here in the past was:

"Now install New Vegas Tick Fix. Yes, I know you said Oblivion, install it anyway."

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Freakazoid_ posted:

Maybe if it's going to be a few years before the next elder scrolls, they should be offering some new dlc for skyrim in the mean time? That is what would actually get me to buy it again.

Mods are more numerous and sometimes higher quality then the official DLC has been and free to boot.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

This is why Oblivion deserves a remaster with all of the rough edges fixed, both in performance and game design. I legit don't know who this new version of Skyrim is for since everyone and their aunt owns the game now.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Oblivion is such a dumpster fire to try and salvage compared to just making the graphics slightly better on Skyrim, you'd need to hire more then the original 4 voice actors to voice the entire game again and to remake the entire thing on basically a new engine with modern graphics and none-potato faces and if that's all you do you are still left with a pretty generic early 20xx fantasy game with a really bland story and uninteresting combat.

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Aug 20, 2021

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Doc Fission posted:

Through the Valleys is a vanilla+ modding guide, it focuses on making the existing game more stable, functional and balanced rather than adding a bunch of extra fluff. Might be what you're looking for.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Mr. Fortitude posted:

This is why Oblivion deserves a remaster with all of the rough edges fixed, both in performance and game design. I legit don't know who this new version of Skyrim is for since everyone and their aunt owns the game now.

my aunt does not own a copy of skyrim. but i dont think this new version is going to be the one to convince her

aarstar
Mar 7, 2004

ThaumPenguin posted:

Through the Valleys is a vanilla+ modding guide, it focuses on making the existing game more stable, functional and balanced rather than adding a bunch of extra fluff. Might be what you're looking for.

I saw on the Wabbajack discord that someone made an automated modlist for this guide.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

chaosapiant posted:

To summarize, there’s two things happening here:

The “next-Gen” update is coming and is free for folks who own SE.

The “anniversary edition”, which includes the next-gen patch and like 500 chunks of mini DLC/CC stuff is the paid product. If you own SE then you can buy this at a discount to upgrade your version.

So if you don’t care about the CC poo poo, the next-gen update is still free if you own the Special Edition.

but the real question always is: what edition will the mods require

if everyone ignores anniversary then it may as well not exist

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
If we ever see another Elder Scrolls game before I´d sure hope that someone can give the quest writers a memo that the player really doesn´t need to get a blowjob from the guildmaster after one single mission. Hell, it´s ok if we aren´t the only hope for the guild to survive and that we actually ascend through the ranks due to our own ability.

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

ThaumPenguin posted:

This is it exactly, thank you!

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

forgive me if this is an ignorant question but is there a reason the elder scrolls online is never mentioned in this thread

i mean yes its an mmo but you can at least visit some interesting parts of tamriel. though they are a lot more samey looking then they should be imo, architecturally speaking (ive only played it a bit tho). but it makes me wonder once they do finally get around to tes 6 if they are going to have to conform to whatever tes online established about whichever province they choose

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Earwicker posted:

forgive me if this is an ignorant question but is there a reason the elder scrolls online is never mentioned in this thread

i mean yes its an mmo but you can at least visit some interesting parts of tamriel. though they are a lot more samey looking then they should be imo, architecturally speaking (ive only played it a bit tho). but it makes me wonder once they do finally get around to tes 6 if they are going to have to conform to whatever tes online established about whichever province they choose

Online already has a thread for discussion so that's my guess as to why we don't talk about it here

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

oh my bad i forgot that mmo's have their own seperate forum

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

I'm in the depths of my mono-mania so I'm currently playing Daggerfall (Unity), Morrowind, Skyrim, and ESO... and honestly I like all of them for different reasons.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

I've been trying a couple of times to get into ESO to scratch that Elder Scrolls itch but it doesn't really work like that for me sadly. I think it's because the world is not empty enough.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

John F Bennett posted:

I've been trying a couple of times to get into ESO to scratch that Elder Scrolls itch but it doesn't really work like that for me sadly. I think it's because the world is not empty enough.

yeah that is true. it is definitely immersion breaking to have rando people and their pets constantly running through the landscape regardless of what is going on, a lot of it feels crowded.

would be much better if the gameworld was as big as daggerfall imo. or even bigger... like all of tamriel, at daggerfall scale. or at least just one big chunk of it instead of a bunch of smaller disconnected areas, thats part of what makes it feel so crowded

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
It's not really worth it to go traipsing around for high-level Sigil Stones in Oblivion, is it? I know I was complaining earlier about how long Oblivion Gates take in that game, but I guess Transcendent Sigil Stones can give you more powerful enchantments on your gear than what you could make yourself. But are they really that much more powerful?

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I used to do this fun thing I called “gate sprints.” I’d run into an Oblivion gate and just book it as fast as I could and avoid enemies as necessary except for dudes holding keys. Then run to the sigil stone and warp out. Kind of a fun mini challenge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

chaosapiant posted:

I used to do this fun thing I called “gate sprints.” I’d run into an Oblivion gate and just book it as fast as I could and avoid enemies as necessary except for dudes holding keys. Then run to the sigil stone and warp out. Kind of a fun mini challenge.

Are you saying this is not the regular way of doing these?