Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

kalensc posted:

Nah, every dollar a nerd spends at a con has to go somewhere, and I'd rather see artists or cosplayers or minor celebs like her get a bunch than have it all be siphoned up by Marvel, Microsoft, Activision/Blizzard, etc

they could just not be nerds op

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
https://ucsdnews.ucsd.edu/pressrelease/researchers-discover-hidden-sars-cov-2-gate-that-opens-to-allow-covid-infection

quote:

Now, Amaro and her research colleagues from UC San Diego, University of Pittsburgh, University of Texas at Austin, Columbia University and University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee have discovered how glycans—molecules that make up a sugary residue around the edges of the spike protein—act as infection gateways.

The spike’s coating of glycans helps deceive the human immune system since it comes across as nothing more than a sugary residue. Previous technologies that imaged these structures depicted glycans in static open or closed positions, which initially didn’t draw much interest from scientists. Supercomputing simulations then allowed the researchers to develop dynamic movies that revealed glycan gates activating from one position to another, offering an unprecedented piece of the infection story.

“We were actually able to watch the opening and closing,” said Amaro. “That’s one of the really cool things these simulations give you—the ability to see really detailed movies. When you watch them you realize you’re seeing something that we otherwise would have ignored. You look at just the closed structure, and then you look at the open structure, and it doesn’t look like anything special. It’s only because we captured the movie of the whole process that you actually see it doing its thing.”

The glycan gate opens: Supercomputing-driven simulations depict the glycan N343 (magenta) acting as a molecular crowbar to pry open the SARS-CoV-2 spike’s receptor binding domain, or RBD (cyan), from a “down” to an "up" position. Credit: Terra Sztain, Surl-Hee Ahn, Lorenzo Casalino (Amaro Lab, UC San Diego).

its the fuckin glycans!

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

euphronius posted:

“making up for lost time” is management brain drivel lmao

That and expect to start hearing “COVID is not an excuse” just like admin and politicians say “poverty is not an excuse for low test scores.”

Unless you have an incredibly powerful union, get out of teaching. It’s one of the best decisions I made in my life. No help is coming.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Two months into lockdown in NSW and now they introduce mandatory outdoor masking for the entire state. Up until now it was only mandatory outdoors for the 'LGAs of concern' and everyone else had to wear a mask in indoor public spaces and public transport.
Also lockdown extended until the end of September now, though I expect it won't end then either, it'll get extended again.

edit: also a 9pm-5am curfew for the hotspot areas and they'll only be allowed out for an hour a day.

Helith fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Aug 20, 2021

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Good soup! posted:

It's like they forgot that part of the appeal of the series is that you're still watching a movie, not just layering 18 different riffs over 5 or 6 seconds of silence with no room to breathe

tbh mst3k ruined most of a generation of movie-watchers because after watching it they think they are comedic geniuses who need to make comments throughout every loving thing they watch.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Pulcinella posted:

just like admin and politicians say “poverty is not an excuse for low test scores.

loving hell

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Biowarfare posted:

so is pax going to happen or what

it’s going to be rebranded as POX

Gresh
Jan 12, 2019

https://twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1428522138374479874

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Iron Crowned posted:

My parents sent me a Christmas ornament "2020, a year to forget" and I looked at it and thought the same thing.

my SIL dressed up as a giant middle finger for Halloween last year and had a "gently caress 2020" sign. wonder if she kept that outfit...

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Pulcinella posted:

Unless you have an incredibly powerful union, get out of teaching. It’s one of the best decisions I made in my life. No help is coming.

what did you transition into

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

gently caress You And Diebold posted:

its the fuckin glycans!

Team Glampire

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

I just went to schedule a COVID test for someone I know at CVS and their page says they are done testing for the day
https://www.cvs.com/minuteclinic/covid-19-testing?icid=coronavirus-lp-nav-general-testing

I've scheduled tests on their page at 1am before. wtf is this

Jon Irenicus
Apr 23, 2008

YO ASSHOLE

well, gently caress

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Atrocious Joe posted:

I just went to schedule a COVID test for someone I know at CVS and their page says they are done testing for the day
https://www.cvs.com/minuteclinic/covid-19-testing?icid=coronavirus-lp-nav-general-testing

Oh you haven't heard? Jeez, this is awkward someone should have told you, but covid is over buddy

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

https://ucsdnews.ucsd.edu/pressrelease/researchers-discover-hidden-sars-cov-2-gate-that-opens-to-allow-covid-infection

The glycan gate opens: Supercomputing-driven simulations depict the glycan N343 (magenta) acting as a molecular crowbar to pry open the SARS-CoV-2 spike’s receptor binding domain, or RBD (cyan), from a “down” to an "up" position. Credit: Terra Sztain, Surl-Hee Ahn, Lorenzo Casalino (Amaro Lab, UC San Diego).

its the fuckin glycans!

Open Glycan!

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable

Lol buddy it's more like thousands of americans are dying from substandard care every day in hospitals because they are overflowed and understaffed. I'm looking at my er trackboard right now and 10 patients are languishing waiting for someone to die so they can get a room.

McNugget Buddy
Aug 14, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Atrocious Joe posted:

Probably overwhelmed with booster shots

How does testing at CVS even work - just spit into the drive thru tube or something?

neutral milf hotel
Oct 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

motherfucker named his kids Pressley 3, Bart, Calvin, and Linc

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

https://twitter.com/AmyRemeikis/status/1428526646219268101

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

Forseti posted:

Very good work! Request to add Geiger counter clicks to the data. Or if your project is open source I'd be happy to see about doing that myself.

thanks! i just published it on github. go hog wild

https://github.com/coronafamiliar/anirona

open an issue if there's something wrong with the instructions, i wrote them up like 5 minutes ago

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
does "this software was built on unceded ohlone land" translate to "lovingly handcrafted out of organic bits with ♥ and hot pockets in san francisco"

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science
took about an hour of searching but i finally found the most prescient tweet that has ever been twat

https://twitter.com/MichaelRCusack/status/1297839753811779584

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

:waycool:

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Please scream in your hearts

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

McNugget Buddy posted:

Probably overwhelmed with booster shots

How does testing at CVS even work - just spit into the drive thru tube or something?

you can schedule a vax shot still easily
https://www.cvs.com/vaccine/intake/store/covid-screener/covid-qns

a similar page asking for symptoms is how you normally register for a test

I've had to stick the nose swab up my own nose in their drive thru and put it in the tube when it tested there

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

Biowarfare posted:

does "this software was built on unceded ohlone land" translate to "lovingly handcrafted out of organic bits with ♥ and hot pockets in san francisco"

yeah

Gresh
Jan 12, 2019

Asproigerosis posted:

Lol buddy it's more like thousands of americans are dying from substandard care every day in hospitals because they are overflowed and understaffed. I'm looking at my er trackboard right now and 10 patients are languishing waiting for someone to die so they can get a room.

yeah I know, this really feels like the start of a movie-like dystopian hellscape, like that wacky zombie apocalypse poo poo. Pretty soon theres gonna be a lot of stories and images of dead people on the asphalt outside ERs and in their cars in hospital parking lots

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Gresh posted:

yeah I know, this really feels the start of a movie-like dystopian hellscape, like that wacky zombie apocalypse poo poo. Pretty soon theres gonna be a lot of stories and images of dead people on the asphalt outside ERs and in their cars in hospital parking lots

not in American media

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Kemp, Desantis, Abbott completely disproving accelerationism lmao

No moment of reckoning will sweep the masses lol its just death

pillsburysoldier fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Aug 20, 2021

goth smoking cloves
Feb 28, 2011

Schmoe Cwead posted:

took about an hour of searching but i finally found the most prescient tweet that has ever been twat

https://twitter.com/MichaelRCusack/status/1297839753811779584

Have they updated it for 2022 yet?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

2021 is a mulligan

we will be fine in 22

Grabnar
Nov 24, 2017

its the fuckin glycans!

I shared a lab with the group at UT that did this work :coronatoot:

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

update the vaccine to close the glands thank u

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

we can't wait until our hospitals are full to take action, which is why we have to maintain vigilance while continuing to do nothing

goth smoking cloves
Feb 28, 2011

I'm doing my part!

*Where's mask while up at the buffet*

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Asproigerosis posted:

Back in the day when I worked in an ER I remember patients waiting hours and hours for a bed during normal weeks. I can't imagine how slammed they are now.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

goth smoking cloves posted:

I'm doing my part!

*Where's mask while up at the buffet*

thank u for respecting our ceasefire with the virus such that nobody can be attacked while actively eating

Boat Stuck
Apr 20, 2021

I tried to sneak through the canal, man! Can't make it, can't make it, the ship's stuck! Outta my way son! BOAT STUCK! BOAT STUCK!

Steve Yun posted:

Hey uhh

I don’t know if any western media is reporting it (a quick google didn’t turn up results) but

Japanese friends are telling me Sonny Chiba refused to get vaccinated

Japan is surprisingly very vaccine hesitant, significantly more than the US

my cousin's 62 year old father in law, who is literally the head of a large hospital in a major Japanese city and has a MD from the best medical school in that country, refuses to get vaccinated

it's incredible

luckily it's been years since he's seen patients

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
look if the japanese wont take a vaccine then i dont care about the olympics driving cases up which is it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

who is more vaccinated:
MDs or JDs