Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
WFRR is on Disney+ and on BR and DVD already, pretty sure there was a VHS release, I think they ironed out home rights early on. All the copyright issues seemed to be related to just getting it made and being able to use the Looney Tunes at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
And maybe getting Zemeckis to work on the restoration, or at least approve it.

You'd think with as techno-horny as he is, that he'd jump on a chance to restore his older films to the 4k UHD format, but I guess not. Forrest Gump and Back to the Future were obvious, but where's Romancing The Stone and Death Becomes Her and such?

I don't mean this as complaining, it's just a bit surprising.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Maxwell Lord posted:

WFRR is on Disney+ and on BR and DVD already, pretty sure there was a VHS release, I think they ironed out home rights early on. All the copyright issues seemed to be related to just getting it made and being able to use the Looney Tunes at all.

WFRR was one of the few VHS tapes we owned that wasn't copied from the video store.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

All out pirated stuff was taped off of HBO around the time I was born. Then we didn’t get cable again until I was 18. First place I saw Raiders of the Lost Ark, and Back to the Future.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

Casimir Radon posted:

All out pirated stuff was taped off of HBO around the time I was born. Then we didn’t get cable again until I was 18. First place I saw Raiders of the Lost Ark, and Back to the Future.

I owe my abiding love (and continual railing for a 4k version) of Big Trouble in Little China to my dad's 90s obsession with waiting for HBO free weekends and taping everything they aired.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I think F/X was the first rated R movie I ever watched, and it was off my parent’s collection of taped from HBO stuff.

Kino is bringing The first season of Night Gallery to Blu-ray in November. Seems like I was just thinking about wanting it.

Casimir Radon fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Aug 19, 2021

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
Glad I only picked up WFRR for like $6 in the last year and haven’t watched it yet. The Steelbook is a must, w some frozen Swanson pot pies for the real nostalgia kick.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
The new Criterion release of Citizen Kane is a 1K release.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

CPL593H posted:

The new Criterion release of Citizen Kane is a 1K release.

:dadjoke:

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

https://www.polygon.com/22632212/neon-genesis-evangelion-blu-ray-release-date-price-ultimate-edition

Being an anime fan and collecting physical releases of film and tv is suffering.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
I'm sure they will have a non-Ultimate edition without all the extra stuff, but yeah get that collector's cash first.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

That price is completely ridiculous. I would love to pick this up with the original dub, but certainly not at $275 and lmao no at $350.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

There's a rumor that the regular editions won't include the original dub/subs which sounds awful

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Lol at those prices and they still couldn't afford the Sinatra license.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

Origami Dali posted:

Lol at those prices and they still couldn't afford the Sinatra license.

Yeah gently caress this set.

Piracy/fan-edits ftw

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

FLCL and Gunbuster, there's a Gainax. That's how I like to Gainax. I've still gotta see that Nadia show. I did have an ebay VCD bootleg of Evangelion, after renting the first few tapes. Blue Seed was the champ series of that rental shelf though quite frankly. And Fatal Fury of course.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I've been trying to buy 4K bluray anime movies. The 4K version of Castle of Cagliostro is so gorgeous, especially after only ever owning the 2000 DVD. They just announced a bluray of Secret of Mamo and while that's great, it deserves the 4K treatment as well. Same with Memories. I don't know the logistics behind the restorations but it seems like if you're bringing a lost classic back you should go all the way?

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

drat Memories is getting a UHD? I picked up the new Discotek blu-ray on release day. It looks great with the new restoration.

That Spade Cobra flick also looks amazing in 4K.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I believe Robot Carnival is getting a 4k.

I will buy just about any 2d animation that is given a 4k releaae.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Roth posted:

I believe Robot Carnival is getting a 4k.

I will buy just about any 2d animation that is given a 4k releaae.

And just as the finger on the monkey’s paw curled inward, “Disney Animation Classics: The Racist Collection 4K” was announced.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

https://twitter.com/dawnofthediscs/status/1428766485892173824

All Mad Maxes 4K

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Hell yea, that's a no brainer. Although it's gonna be a bit annoying to have two copies of Fury Road 4k when it's probably one of the more disappointing UHDs out there.

Anyway I think Beyond Thunderdome could be the sleeper of that set, I feel like there could be a lot of extra nuance and texture to the whole Thunderdome setting on UHD.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Is the title in the movie going to say "Road Warrior" or "Mad Max 2?"

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

PeterCat posted:

Is the title in the movie going to say "Road Warrior" or "Mad Max 2?"

It was only titled The Road Warrior in the US, because Mad Max flopped hard here.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
it'll have the original Aussie title, "Madder Max"

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Iron Crowned posted:

It was only titled The Road Warrior in the US, because Mad Max flopped hard here.

True, but I have seen DVDs released in the US that had the "Mad Max 2" title on them. I am asking which title the UHD set will have as I am not certain they will release different versions for the foreign and domestic markets.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
In New Zealand it's called Med Mex

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

TheScott2K posted:

In New Zealand it's called Med Mex

Glad I’m not the only one who makes this joke. :haw::hf::haw:

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Absolutely cherish my time with a new Zealand friend, the only person besides the med mex movies to use the term "peetrol".

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I'm feeling oddly bullied here. We talk normal and we're not a bunch of hobbits, goddamnit.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

edogawa rando posted:

I'm feeling oddly bullied here. We talk normal and we're not a bunch of hobbits, goddamnit.

Sounds like exactly what a hobbit would say

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I Before E posted:

Sounds like exactly what a hobbit would say

Next time the world is in peril because some dickhead made himself a ring, don't expect help from us.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

edogawa rando posted:

Nixt time the world is in peeril because some deekhead mayde himself a ring, don't expect help from us.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

edogawa rando posted:

Next time the world is in peril because some dickhead made himself a ring, don't expect help from us.

Just what a push over hobbit would say before they’re offered pipe weed and 6 meals a day. That’ll get you on your way.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Sorry mate, too busy watching my Top Secret! and Adventure Time seasons 6~10 blu-rays.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

edogawa rando posted:

Do you know the guys from Flight of the Conchords?

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

CPL593H posted:

Do you know the guys from Flight of the Conchords?

I've seen Jemaine Clement in the wild a few times.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

edogawa rando posted:

I've seen Jemaine Clement in the wild a few times.

Please tell him that Something Awful forums poster CPL593H really enjoys his work.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

gey muckle mowser posted:

it'll have the original Aussie title, "Madder Max"

Larrikin Max

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
The other day we received a shipment of things my roommate inherited from her dad. He had a ton of DVDs, mostly History channel documentaries like The Korean War in Color.

This is the most interesting find so far:

Yes, it is still shrink-wrapped